• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

PierrePressure

Neo Member
Yeah I wish they would at least try to branch out to genres they seemed to do awesome in again. Their first shoot em up was insanely high quality, especially for a first try. Maybe they need to source some new talent...or just try to recapture old talent?

On that note, it seems like all of their non-FF RPGs have been pretty high quality.

I think Square need to put there trust in western developers and outsource some of their IP.

IMAG0959.jpg

Got all these except Castlevania in the last week or so. Paid $85 for the Suikoden from Amazon, just showed up today with the Um Jammer. I looked through all the sellers selling Suikoden 2 and found some with the pics and this one looked really good. It's in excellent condition. Pretty happy with it. (Um Jammer Lammy was $8 brand new lol)

I missed out on a Parappa with the poster on ebay so I just picked up the next best one I could find.

I have a few more coming that I also got through ebay purchases: Diablo ($36), GTA2 (with map, $11) and Heart of Darkness(around $13, I think).

Didn't know there was a speed racer game. Man I loved that show when I was a kid! I may have to look for a copy of that.

Nice price on Suikoden. Always feels nice to check a big game like that off the list. It being such an amazing game just makes it that much better.

Damn, awesome price on Suikoden. Every once in a while you'll find something good like that on Amazon. Sadly, it's usually overpriced shit without a picture.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
you really do, i used to regularly & can vouch for it being on the short side but i wanna say it ages well. definitely do before 2 though!

I bought Suikoden 1 last year, played maybe... 4 or 5 hours. Seems cool, but I didn't stick with it. I really should go back and play through it.

Teknoman

I think Square need to put there trust in western developers and outsource some of their IP.

As long as they are western devs that know whats up when it comes to that type of gameplay. I dont want to see another Mercurysteam situation (they arent bad games, but they arent what you expect from Castlevania). Capcom did ok with Bionic Commando Rearmed, Strider ( I guess, I havent played it yet, but it doesnt look bad), and Dead Rising 2. The rest, not so much.

you really do, i used to regularly & can vouch for it being on the short side but i wanna say it ages well. definitely do before 2 though!

I downloaded it from PSN, got about an hour, hour and a half into it, and loved it. I've never played a JRPG before, only western rpgs, mmo's, platformers or shooters. Once I got through a few battles and figured out what was going on, I was hooked.

Guess i'll put Dragon Force aside from being the next 32bit RPG and go with Suiko. I dunno when i'll ever get 2 though.

Danny Dudekisser

Square's not coming back. Their talent left. Toriyama is still running amok.

Just play SNES and PS1 games to remind you of the good old days.

linkboy

Got all these except Castlevania in the last week or so. Paid $85 for the Suikoden from Amazon, just showed up today with the Um Jammer. I looked through all the sellers selling Suikoden 2 and found some with the pics and this one looked really good. It's in excellent condition. Pretty happy with it. (Um Jammer Lammy was $8 brand new lol)

I missed out on a Parappa with the poster on ebay so I just picked up the next best one I could find.

I have a few more coming that I also got through ebay purchases: Diablo ($36), GTA2 (with map, $11) and Heart of Darkness(around $13, I think).

Didn't know there was a speed racer game. Man I loved that show when I was a kid! I may have to look for a copy of that.

Nice, that's about how much I paid for my copy of Suikoden II when some kid traded in a bunch of PS1 RPG's at my local Play N Trade a few years ago. Game was in mint condition.

Only time it's left it's case since I got it was when I dumped it to play on my PSP.

Wild Arms starts pretty slow, but now that it has introduced the villains and things seem to be starting up, I'm starting to dig it. I was hoping to finish it before I leave for vacation, but unless I cram 30 hours in before Sunday afternoon, that's not happening.

Music is fucking awesome, that's for sure.

Danny Dudekisser

Wild Arms starts pretty slow, but now that it has introduced the villains and things seem to be starting up, I'm starting to dig it. I was hoping to finish it before I leave for vacation, but unless I cram 30 hours in before Sunday afternoon, that's not happening.

Keep us posted on how it progresses. I've always been kinda curious about Wild Arms.

R-Type Delta is a great shooter and from a visual standpoint has aged incredibly well for a 3D PS1 game. Some of the effects and lighting are amazing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Wild ARMs is one of my favourite jRPGs (begging for avatar quote here I guess xD). I do love the "slow" beginning actually, I find it cool how you bring the three characters together. Some of those puzzles are fiendishly clever (there is one that's just dumb, though, I think something was lost in translation, it's much later in the game... it's in
De la Metalica, the chests/bookshelf puzzle. I never made sense of the solution at all

Anyway, it's a really fun game with cool characters and I dig the world a lot, and of course the music. Even the bad 3D graphics are endearing to me. The only major flaw is the frequency of the random battles, it should have been toned down. The sequels improved that but they lost much of the charm IMO.

leroidys

Wild ARMs is one of my favourite jRPGs (begging for avatar quote here I guess xD). I do love the "slow" beginning actually, I find it cool how you bring the three characters together. Some of those puzzles are fiendishly clever (there is one that's just dumb, though, I think something was lost in translation, it's much later in the game... it's in
De la Metalica, the chests/bookshelf puzzle. I never made sense of the solution at all

Anyway, it's a really fun game with cool characters and I dig the world a lot, and of course the music. Even the bad 3D graphics are endearing to me. The only major flaw is the frequency of the random battles, it should have been toned down. The sequels improved that but they lost much of the charm IMO.

This is going to sound like a troll post, but I swear it ain't...

Why did Wild Arms get such bad reviews when it released? I notice this a lot for PS1 games. Many games that are fondly looked upon now got horrible scores. WA is sitting at 50, 60 something, and Suikoden II is around 80. What gives?

hipgnosis

Why did Wild Arms get such bad reviews when it released? I notice this a lot for PS1 games. Many games that are fondly looked upon now got horrible scores. WA is sitting at 50, 60 something, and Suikoden II is around 80. What gives?

2D graphics were considered archaic at the time. Reviewers wanted to see new 3D graphics.

kaiju

A few new imports arrived recently.

Jinx is a platformer that I believe was only released in the UK. Great game! It's right up there with Spyro in terms of gameplay and graphics, with bright colors and environments reminiscent of the Pandemonium series.

lot194_zpsc19b069d.jpg

Here's a video of Jinx in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J8OlMIUxh9Q

Also picked up Virus: The Battlefield, an interesting card game with anime cutscenes. Based on the "Virus: Buster Serge" anime.

lot189_zps48021fb6.jpg

Gameplay vid: http://youtu.be/WsgygkCvXbo

And Cyberwar, which is a sequel to Lawnmower Man. It's pretty much an FMV game, with some VERY trippy visuals.

lot191_zpsbf452721.jpg

Cyberwar Trailer: http://youtu.be/EcSQ-ZZo6YY

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Are you sure? Wild ARMs got pretty good reviews when it came out, 7's and 8's, though a lot of idiots said "oh it's a nice RPG while you wait for FF7" when it's honestly a better game than FF7, but I don't recall such bad reviews at all. Suikoden II got more than 80's, it got near perfect scores in my memory, Suikoden I might have gotten that kind of score though. Are you confusing it with Beyond the Beyond? Now that was a genuinely bad game with very poor reviews.

cj_iwakura

DF may very well be, but i thought it was accepted that suiko III was a huge drop off from 2...for me, at least

Eh, I liked III's cast a lot more. All three of the trinity were more interesting to me. II had some great moments, and I'm glad I played them in order, but III was the most enjoyable. I did everything.

I always have weird opinions. :p I also prefer Wild Arms 2 to 1.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Good lord Tekken 1 makes me appreciate other 3D fighters so much more.

leroidys

Are you sure? Wild ARMs got pretty good reviews when it came out, 7's and 8's, though a lot of idiots said "oh it's a nice RPG while you wait for FF7" when it's honestly a better game than FF7, but I don't recall such bad reviews at all. Suikoden II got more than 80's, it got near perfect scores in my memory, Suikoden I might have gotten that kind of score though. Are you confusing it with Beyond the Beyond? Now that was a genuinely bad game with very poor reviews.

I distinctly remember a lot of very low reviews for WA, though looking at metacritic, it's at a respectable ~78.

Suikoden II, however, is at 80, which seems odd for (one of) the greatest game(s) of all time.

MediEvil.jpg

another awesome game.

favourite system by far

(hell even look at my avatar lol)

I found this at goodwill recently and played it for about 45 minutes. I was surprised at how completely playable it was for an early 3D platformer. Really fun.

I found this at goodwill recently and played it for about 45 minutes. I was surprised at how completely playable it was for an early 3D platformer. Really fun.

Medievil is great. I played through it 100% in one sitting recently. I'd like to see the sequel on PSN because I remember not liking it as much back then.

Zing

Banned
I played through the first MediEvil earlier this year. I'm playing the sequel now. It isn't as good overall, but I won't regret playing it.

I distinctly remember a lot of very low reviews for WA, though looking at metacritic, it's at a respectable ~78.

Suikoden II, however, is at 80, which seems odd for (one of) the greatest game(s) of all time.

Yeah ton of fun. only ever played the demo back in the day but have it on psn and have been meaning to play it

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to this thread, I've bought G-Police.
Great game, and the graphics are quite advanced for '97. Love the smooth gameplay too, there aren't many slowdowns.
Psygnosis really knew how to optimize for PS1.

Thanks to this thread, I've bought G-Police.
Great game, and the graphics are quite advanced for '97. Love the smooth gameplay too, there aren't many slowdowns.
Psygnosis really knew how to optimize for PS1.

Great to hear it! The story, as I recall, is very good too. The ending is great! You can actually alter how the game runs with graphics settings, which is quite unusual for a console game. It seems the game runs higher than the standard 25/30 fps when you prioritize framerate.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Great to hear it! The story, as I recall, is very good too. The ending is great! You can actually alter how the game runs with graphics settings, which is quite unusual for a console game. It seems the game runs higher than the standard 25/30 fps when you prioritize framerate.

I've noticed something similar with Descent II, where you can setup each individual function to a button or combo (like right + L1, etc.).
I think back in the day, PC gaming was quite relevant therefore they wanted to appeal also to PC gamers, therefore introducing graphic settings and all that.

I've noticed something similar with Descent II, where you can setup each individual function to a button or combo (like right + L1, etc.).
I think back in the day, PC gaming was quite relevant therefore they wanted to appeal also to PC gamers, therefore introducing graphic settings and all that.

Nice! That's probably why they did it.

Shining

So yesterday i was playing some Rayxanber III on the PC Engine and decided to look up the developer Data West (not do be confused with Data East) on MobyGames. Turns out they released only one game on the PS1 and it's called Brave Prove. It was only released in Japan. From what i can tell it's an ARPG in the same vein as Terranigma and Alundra with dungeons, traps and puzzles. It looks great and i'm gonna hunt this one down fo sure!

ss3.jpg

ss5.jpg

ss6.jpg

ss17.jpg

So yesterday i was playing some Rayxanber III on the PC Engine and decided to look up the developer Data West (not do be confused with Data East) on MobyGames. Turns out they released only one game on the PS1 and it's called Brave Prove. It was only released in Japan. From what i can tell it's an ARPG in the same vein as Terranigma and Alundra with dungeons, traps and puzzles. It looks great and i'm gonna hunt this one down fo sure!

ss3.jpg

ss5.jpg

ss6.jpg

ss17.jpg
Hmm, it looks evocative of the Oasis games (Story of Thor/Beyond Oasis/Legend of Oasis). That fire genie especially. I wonder if it's any good. It does look interesting.

Shining

Hmm, it looks evocative of the Oasis games (Story of Thor/Beyond Oasis/Legend of Oasis). That fire genie especially. I wonder if it's any good. It does look interesting.
Wow. It really does. Anyway, im glad we're still able to dig up games like this. I thought i had 'em all covered.

That looks awesome. Too bad it didn't come out here.

Danny Dudekisser

Honestly, I think that if you ever have to consult a guide to make it through a Japanese game, it's not worth bothering. That's the least enjoyable experience possible.

Kart94

Banned
SO have they fixed the Tomba 2 Japanese thing on PSN yet? I remember playing Tomba 2 demos and i downloaded the game only to find out it was the Japanese verison. Anyway, Spyro 2 is a great game. Spyro 3 focused too much on unfun playable characters to me to be anything more than a decent game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes, that was my first thought as well. That looks awesome, but we'd need a translation patch or something.

Honestly, I think that if you ever have to consult a guide to make it through a Japanese game, it's not worth bothering. That's the least enjoyable experience possible.
Agreed. I tried playing my imported Princess Crown on the Saturn with a guide, but I gave up. :(

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member

It does look interesting indeed, I'm getting in the mood of playing these ARPGs recently due to A Link To The Past.

SO have they fixed the Tomba 2 Japanese thing on PSN yet? I remember playing Tomba 2 demos and i downloaded the game only to find out it was the Japanese verison. Anyway, Spyro 2 is a great game. Spyro 3 focused too much on unfun playable characters to me to be anything more than a decent game.

Thats weird. I'm in aus and i got the english version of tomba 2...also as a side note isn't it a great game!

Top Bottom