• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

leroidys

Way too many to list.

Really? In general I have a very hard time going back to PS1 era games. I really wish that I had played Xenogears back in the day because it's borderline unplayable to me now. I'm playing through BoF IV at the moment and it's fantastic and really fun, but still has weird camera issues that plagued so many PS1 games.

Top 5 or 10, maybe? I'm still trying to get into PS1 as a gamer more than a collector, as I never owned one myself (had to steal time on my brother's while he was out, or go to friends' houses).

Teknoman

Really? In general I have a very hard time going back to PS1 era games. I really wish that I had played Xenogears back in the day because it's borderline unplayable to me now. I'm playing through BoF IV at the moment and it's fantastic and really fun, but still has weird camera issues that plagued so many PS1 games.

Top 5 or 10, maybe? I'm still trying to get into PS1 as a gamer more than a collector, as I never owned one myself (had to steal time on my brother's while he was out, or go to friends' houses).

I'm kinda biased any way, since I can go back to NES and have more fun with some of those games than current releases. At any rate, these are the games I believe still stand up:

Resident Evil 2 - Even though the N64, PC, and Dreamcast versions look better, the original PS1 game still holds up ok. The gameplay is still a pretty good balance of puzzle and action. (I havent played that much of Nemesis to have an opinion).

Parasite Eve - The soundtrack, pre-rendered backgrounds, and story really hold up. The gameplay isnt mindblowing, but it was a great precursor to stuff like Breath of Fire V battle system.

Einhander - Everything in this game still looks and sounds amazing.

Silent Hill - A PS1 game that can still manage to creep people out.

Final Fantasy Tactics - Aside from Tactics Ogre and Valkyria Chronicles, there hasnt really been an SRPG that has beaten out FFT.

Most of the games that still stand for me are, as you can see, RPGs, shoot em ups, and survival horror. I could list all FF games released among others since they deliver on well done battle systems, soundtracks, and overall story/worlds. Alot of the 3D platformers don't hold up of course, but those were just being created.

EDIT: Whats wrong with Xenogears? Havent played it myself (getting around to it).

If we're talking about visuals, Internal Section held up incredibly well. Compares favorably to stuff like Rez HD, and I'm not exaggerating.

Game's boring tho, lol.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If we're talking about visuals, Internal Section held up incredibly well. Compares favorably to stuff like Rez HD, and I'm not exaggerating.

Game's boring tho, lol.

I never actually got around to playing Internal Section, but it looks a lot like Dyad. Which I found hella boring. Makes me kinda not want to try this.

Zing

Banned
I don't play many modern games, so I can't really say what "holds up".

Amazing PSone games I have played over the past year:

Ape Escape
Brave Fencer Musashi
Threads of Fate
Crash Bandicoot
Grandia
Klonoa
Spyro
Tales of Destiny
Legend of Dragoon
Vagrant Story
Medievil

Some second tier games:

Bugs Bunny Lost in Time
Apocalypse
Kingsley's Adventure
Tomb Raider
No one can stop Mr Domino
Mega Man Legends

I wouldn't say that I was really a PSone gamer back in its day. I had one, but it was for MK3, Tekken, and NFL GameDay. I had and played a few other games then, but I was mainly playing N64. I didn't touch PSone games again until 2004 when I acquired a PS2. I have went through phases of PSone desire. Sometimes I think I could sell off my whole collection and not miss it, and sometimes (like the past few weeks) it's all that I want to play. I am so happy that I never went through with a complete sell-off, although I did sell a bunch earlier this year.

There are so a many great games for all consoles that trying to play or own them all is ridiculous. If you are struggling to enjoy the PSone, just put it aside and play something else. You may come around eventually.

I was at my parents' place the other day and I noticed this in a picture frame:

e0a6b9ad0df60faa166c254e1ce3f325.jpg

I think it was PlayStation launch week. I was in the after school work program and my mom had to take pics of me at work for a project.

Pardon the shitty phone camera.

The launch lineup was pretty bad, but you really look unhappy with the thing.
Haha, I guess I do.

The truth is that I was thrilled to finally own one. One of the key holders brought his import system in several times leading up to the launch. I bought quite a few launch titles and even took my own system to school for a class demonstration.

Maybe I was just stunned by the 32 bit power. Or maybe I just wanted to get back to the match of Battle Arena Toshinden we had going.

I think it was PlayStation launch week. I was in the after school work program and my mom had to take pics of me at work for a project.

Haha, you don't look to happy about it? Cool pic though. I wish digital cameras were as available back in the nineties as now; i'd love to see pics from that era of my friends playing videogames etc.

I loved the shit out of both Tomba 1 and 2 as a kid, but even in the PSX era there was a lot to be frustrated with. They both had constant and long load times, the controls seemd stiff and finicky, and there was a ton of backtracking involved. I'm kind of scared to go back to them at this point.

The backtracking involved was my favorite kind, exploration and using new skills/items to get to new areas/items. It is about the best thing about a non level based, exploration oriented game like Tomba. The load times were hot garbage though.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
There are so a many great games for all consoles that trying to play or own them all is ridiculous. If you are struggling to enjoy the PSone, just put it aside and play something else. You may come around eventually.
I have to agree with this. I haven't played PS1 and PS2 in a while, but now I'm in the mood and really enjoying it.
I'll need a new PS1 time sinker, though.

Toxa

now you feel old :(

Haha, you don't look to happy about it? Cool pic though. I wish digital cameras were as available back in the nineties as now; i'd love to see pics from that era of my friends playing videogames etc.
Me too. I wish I would have stopped to take pictures (or video) of some of the over the top arcades back then.

Next time I'm at my parents' place I will see if they have any happier pics from work. I remember mom taking several and I'm not sure why she stuck that one in the frame. There was another one with my brother and I embracing a 3D0, "Nintendo sixty-foooouuuurrrr!" style on a Christmas morning.

In the Dreamcast thread I had previously linked a website with tons of photos of DC launch night. Would love to see something like that for other, older consoles.

There are SO MANY games that still hold up, especially if you're into retro gaming in general, since the PS1 had many games that reached back into 16-bit era of gameplay.

I'm talking shmups such as Gradius Gaiden, Zanac X Zanac Neo, Einhander, etc, and you have great 2D platformers like Adventures of Ralph and Umihara Kawase Shun, and also 2.5D platformers such as Crash Bandicoot and Klonoa. Basically, if the old-school genres still appeal to you, the PS1 is a veritable treasure trove.

Danny Dudekisser

I've noticed that turning scanlines on makes a big difference with the Playstation. I dunno. Without them, everything in 3D games looks chunky and awful. With them on... it somehow looks good. Simple geometry, obviously, but the image is suddenly much more pleasing to the eyes. Or maybe it's just me.

I've noticed that turning scanlines on makes a big difference with the Playstation. I dunno. Without them, everything in 3D games looks chunky and awful. With them on... it somehow looks good. Simple geometry, obviously, but the image is suddenly much more pleasing to the eyes. Or maybe it's just me.

I figured they would. How do you feel about high res games like Total 2 though?

Danny Dudekisser

I figured they would. How do you feel about high res games like Total 2 though?

Tobal 2 doesn't suffer from the same issues the 240p 3D games seem to. It looks a lot cleaner all around, and I never get the impression it was designed with the same constraints as a 240p game in mind. With the 240p games, in particular, I feel like the scanlines create a depth to the objects that's otherwise lacking.

Technomayng posted a screen of Parasite Eve 2 on the last page, and I think it demonstrates it pretty well:

jtUSET926HT00.jpg

The shading on Aya's clothes creates an illusion of depth that really only comes across with scanlines. Without them, it'd just be a flat-looking, pixelated mess.

My OG Playstation started giving me problems last night. Didn't want to load discs. Second time that's happened. I got it working again, but my local place has had a PSOne sitting there calling to me, so I decided to go pick it up for $20:

Controller needs some cleaning, but the system looks great.

Also grabbed a few other things.

Gun had been sitting there for forever, I finally decided to grab it for whatever reason. Don't even have any gun games. No idea what Eternal Eyes is, I assume garbage since it was only $4. Don't know anything about Alundra either, but I've seen people on here mention it before.

Alundra is good. Though now I kinda want to try the original JP version after hearing Working Designs played with the balance.

Like the US version is too easy or they made it harder?

My PSX RPG backlog is reaching critical mass. But, they just keep getting more in. Started Wild Arms last night, so time to start chipping away at them.

Teknoman

Like the US version is too easy or they made it harder?

My PSX RPG backlog is reaching critical mass. But, they just keep getting more in. Started Wild Arms last night, so time to start chipping away at them.

Thats the way. Just pick an RPG and roll with it. On the bright side, no new games are coming out, so its not near infinite lol.

IrishNinja

no, it's not just you - i tend to think most early 3D/32-bit era benefits from scanlines, myself. especially arcade-y ports/etc. N64 it at least adds something to the mess.

DC/PS2/higher res stuff like you said is where it gets fuzzy.

leroidys

Tobal 2 doesn't suffer from the same issues the 240p 3D games seem to. It looks a lot cleaner all around, and I never get the impression it was designed with the same constraints as a 240p game in mind. With the 240p games, in particular, I feel like the scanlines create a depth to the objects that's otherwise lacking.

Technomayng posted a screen of Parasite Eve 2 on the last page, and I think it demonstrates it pretty well:

jtUSET926HT00.jpg

The shading on Aya's clothes creates an illusion of depth that really only comes across with scanlines. Without them, it'd just be a flat-looking, pixelated mess.

That's a really awesome observation. Many games, particularly 2D games can benefit from modern displays though.

Me too. I wish I would have stopped to take pictures (or video) of some of the over the top arcades back then.

Next time I'm at my parents' place I will see if they have any happier pics from work. I remember mom taking several and I'm not sure why she stuck that one in the frame. There was another one with my brother and I embracing a 3D0, "Nintendo sixty-foooouuuurrrr!" style on a Christmas morning.

We need to see these!

ultra7k

Only played the Saturn version. Garbage.

Holy ID4!! Haha, my brother worked on that game as a co-op student at Radical entertainment back in the day. I remember playing alpha and beta versions of that on homebrew PSX kits they had set up at their work stations. Open wooden cases with components everywhere.

According to my brother, the graphics were absolute garbage before he started. Honestly not sure if he was bragging or if it was true, but after several touch ups and overhauls they were impressed enough to hire him full time as a graphic artists there. I believe he did the graphics for the alien ships and stuff, and I know for a fact he did up the spinning alien ship in the corner on the loading screen.

He also worked on that Jackie Chan game, Stuntmaster I think it was called as well as several other titles that were developed by Radical back in the hey days of the PSX.

Holy ID4!! Haha, my brother worked on that game as a co-op student at Radical entertainment back in the day. I remember playing alpha and beta versions of that on homebrew PSX kits they had set up at their work stations. Open wooden cases with components everywhere.

According to my brother, the graphics were absolute garbage before he started. Honestly not sure if he was bragging or if it was true, but after several touch ups and overhauls they were impressed enough to hire him full time as a graphic artists there. I believe he did the graphics for the alien ships and stuff, and I know for a fact he did up the spinning alien ship in the corner on the loading screen.

He also worked on that Jackie Chan game, Stuntmaster I think it was called as well as several other titles that were developed by Radical back in the hey days of the PSX.
Awesome story! I loved the movie back then, but heard the game was real bad and avoided it, lol.

Teknoman

Post backfire...

Snagged Megaman Legends 2 at Half Price Books for 22 bucks during the 20% sale they have going this week. So happy it was complete, albeit with some scratches, but nothing worse than i've seen before.

Just popped it into my PS2, it gets to the Capcom logo, then nothing. Tried on the PS3, doesnt even recognize a game being in the system.

...sigh

Guess i've got to find someone to resurface and hope it works afterwards...

If you have any Disc/Mega Replays around, they'll do it. So will Family Video (I assume most modern rental places will). I was thrilled to find it for $50 a couple months ago, so that's definitely awesome. Hopefully you can get it working.

Teknoman

If you have any Disc/Mega Replays around, they'll do it. So will Family Video (I assume most modern rental places will). I was thrilled to find it for $50 a couple months ago, so that's definitely awesome. Hopefully you can get it working.

The only place I can think of is a small shop called 3D games in a local mall. Hopefully they still have their disc buffer, since that fixed my Legend of Heroes; Dragon Slayer just fine.

Other than that, unless Game Over has a fixed, I dont think there are many video rental places left in Houston / Humble, much less with a buffer/resurfacer.

leroidys

Post backfire...

Snagged Megaman Legends 2 at Half Price Books for 22 bucks during the 20% sale they have going this week. So happy it was complete, albeit with some scratches, but nothing worse than i've seen before.

Just popped it into my PS2, it gets to the Capcom logo, then nothing. Tried on the PS3, doesnt even recognize a game being in the system.

...sigh

Damn that's an epic find. I hope you get it working. I loooooooved MML as a kid but never got around to getting MML2 because it was too expensive (like $40... lol.)

televator

Post backfire...

...sigh

Oh man, hopeflly you can bring it back to life.

woodypop

Post backfire...

...sigh

Maybe try it in a PS1? (I dunno)

I had no idea you could use original Playstation 1 controllers on a PS2. I brought my fatty that has been giving me issues to my parents house where it quickly died for good. Pulled my brothers PS2 out of a closet and discovered all my controllers work. Good shit.

Also got rid of the piece of shit old tv that we had all the old stuff hooked up to here and grabbed another Sony Trinitron off of craigslist. So now I have two at home, and one at my parents. Gonna just keep collecting them.

How is that Alone in the Dark PS1 game. I keep eyeballing it on the PSN to add to my collection. If its anything like Resident Evil than I would no doubt bite. Would also love to play Clock Tower again.

Top Bottom