• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Timu

Picked this up from ebay. It was listed as Like New and it actually is, pretty happy

Castlevania.jpg
Is that the best version of that game compared to other systems?

Teknoman

h29657E81

On a serious note, Parasite Eve 2's opening sequence definitely leaves a good impression and the soundtrack is just as awesome.

jtUSET926HT00.jpg

jUx2Ff2BCLwPk.jpg

The first transformation was crazier than the rat transformation, and the combat system actually isnt that different from the first game. Its a little less menu based with quick aiming and constant movement...and the battles arent random, but parasite energy generally works the same. You are still isolated to a single area when you encounter enemies, but you can dodge attacks a little easier. Keeps the tension high though, since you really dont know attack ranges/whether or not you should bait enemies before attacking.

Is that the best version of that game compared to other systems?

I'd argue the Saturn version (Japan only) might edge it a bit only in it's added content. I.e you can play as Maria, Richter, also extra music and monsters/stages.

On the contrary I've heard some re-balancing/ nerfing of weapons as well as occasional performance hiccups are a Saturn version detriment.

If you want an English version with the Saturn content, pickup Dracula X chronicles for PSP (though unlocking it can be annoying) its in fact the Saturn version not Ps1.

EDIT: Wrong and wrong again. Save for the extra content apparently.

I'd argue the Saturn version (Japan only) might edge it a bit only in it's added content. I.e you can play as Maria, Richter, also extra music and monsters/stages.

On the contrary I've heard some re-balancing/ nerfing of weapons as well as occasional performance hiccups are a Saturn version detriment.

If you want an English version with the Saturn content, pickup Dracula X chronicles for PSP (though unlocking it can be annoying) its in fact the Saturn version not Ps1.
The Saturn version looks and runs like shit.

Also, the Dracula X Chronicles version is not based the Saturn version. It lacks the new areas and Maria plays differently.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Dracula x Chronicles also has freezing issues when using the new familiars, is stuck with those crappy borders, has to be unlocked in the Rondo remake first, has some sound effects that are off, etc.

The Saturn version looks and runs like shit.

Also, the Dracula X Chronicles version is not based the Saturn version. It lacks the new areas and Maria plays differently.

I stand corrected then. I don't own the ridiculously costly Saturn version so I only heard about performance issues not even to that degree but I'll look it up and take your word for it.

And so they added Maria to DXC but none of the extra stages nor music?

IrishNinja

the saturn version has assy loading times & isn't as good with transparencies but saying it looks & runs like shit is really exaggerating. playing as maria & seeing the extra areas is pretty cool.

the saturn version has assy loading times & isn't as good with transparencies but saying it looks & runs like shit is really exaggerating. playing as maria & seeing the extra areas is pretty cool.
Looks like shit: Dithered transparencies as you mentioned, but much more importantly, awful, jaggy scaling the 256x240 game to 320x240.
Runs like shit: LOTS of slowdown in the Saturn port. Hit up the underground caverns for example and watch it crawl.

SotN is such a gorgeous game on Playstation that it's unfortunate how ugly they made it look on Saturn. The awful scaling makes the game look like trash. I'm sure if they reprogrammed the game from scratch, it'd be a great Saturn game, but since the budget and team just wasn't available, the ass port is all that exists, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

IrishNinja

sixteen you on some hyperbole bro
gotta disagree with ass, trash, booty buttcheeks etc. slowdown is a factor there too no doubt though, in certain areas....honestly, the menu loading times are my biggest beef.

Mobius1

Couple hours south of Chicago. Pretty awesome area. There are three places in town that sell old shit (though only one is usually worth visiting). Three more place withing 30-45 minutes (all worth going to). And a couple more about an hour away (one of which is worth going to).

What stores are they? I'm trying to find good places to go. Randomly came across a Disc Replay on the Indiana side and they had decent stuff, but that's all I've seen so far.

What stores are they? I'm trying to find good places to go. Randomly came across a Disc Replay on the Indiana side and they had decent stuff, but that's all I've seen so far.

Disc Replay is it. I've only been to the one in Terre Haute (as far as the Indiana ones I mean). It was awesome a year and a half ago, but they raised their prices last fall. They are always really hit or miss. The last couple of times I've been the Terre Haute one has been fucking dry. I did get Mega Man Legends 2 for $50 from them last time, though.

Velinos

After nearly a decade of searching and only ever seeing CIB copies selling online for $100+, I finally found one of my favorite RPGs on the PS1 at my local used game store yesterday for a reasonable price. Except for some scuffs on the case and minor wavy-ness on the manual, it is in mint condition. Much rejoicing.

5ekYvOkl.jpg

^

Nice.

I actually saw a copy locally but it was before I was buying PSX stuff. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting it (I didn't know what it was at the time, just remember seeing that cover art). Who knows how long it'll take to come across another copy.

Defunkled

After nearly a decade of searching and only ever seeing CIB copies selling online for $100+, I finally found one of my favorite RPGs on the PS1 at my local used game store yesterday for a reasonable price. Except for some scuffs on the case and minor wavy-ness on the manual, it is in mint condition. Much rejoicing.

5ekYvOkl.jpg

Nice find! Mind sharing how much you paid?

Velinos

Nice find! Mind sharing how much you paid?

$70, which was about my ceiling for that game but I prefer to give my local store my business whenever possible.

Funny story actually. I walked in yesterday on my usual weekly rounds, saw it in the case and immediately told the guy working there to pull it for me. He told me that the copy in the case had photocopied artwork but that he also had one with original artwork, the one I bought, behind the counter for the same price.

Huh, it's a survival horror game? I literally know nothing about most of the games I got today, just grabbed a bunch. I assumed it was an RPG.

You gotta boot up Dino Crisis 2. Best thing is it's totally not survival horror like its prequel, but a full-on action game with combo kills and what not. Great game.

You gotta boot up Dino Crisis 2. Best thing is it's totally not survival horror like its prequel, but a full-on action game with combo kills and what not. Great game.

I will definitely. I really don't buy things I don't intend to play. I made it a decent ways into Part One before, and it wasn't doing much for me. I'll plow through it one of these days then do Two.

I think I'm going to do Parasite Eve 1 & 2 first, though. Really liked One as a kid, but never finished it, and never touched Two, so I'm pretty excited for it.

Fhtagn

Picked up a good amount of shit today:

I don't know what any of it is other than Dino Crisis 2 (and Sonic Adventures obviously). My friend told me D is worth a bit, so I grabbed it since it was only $13.

Echo Night is a From software game similar to King's Field, but it's a survival horror game with a puzzle focus. I haven't played it and I'm on the look out for a copy.

Danny Dudekisser

I was actually going to pull the trigger on Parasite Eve 1 today, but I'll have to wait to play it, because I've got this in the meantime:

OP0OYoc.jpg

Always been kinda curious about DewPrism.

Got a couple small things tonight:

Controller was $5 and the guide was $3. Love Resident Evil, so had to have it. I wish these old guides were easier to come by. I find them cool.

I was actually going to pull the trigger on Parasite Eve 1 today, but I'll have to wait to play it, because I've got this in the meantime:

Forgot all about this game. What the fuck happened to Square!? They were killing it all through the SNES and PSX eras. And then nothing but Final Fantasy.

Danny Dudekisser

Forgot all about this game. What the fuck happened to Square!? They were killing it all through the SNES and PSX eras. And then nothing but Final Fantasy.

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Square during the PS1 era was as good as any other company has been at any point in this industry. I lovvvvveeeeddd their stuff back then. But when they got to the PS2 era, the times when we did get a non-FF game, it was stuff like the crappy Brave Fencer Musashi sequel, Unlimited Saga, etc.

But I don't blame it entirely on Square. The PS2 ushered in a new style of RPG -- there was more emphasis on expansive worlds and cinematic presentation. The focus had shifted from ambitious storylines and gameplay mechanics to the overall experience of being on an adventure. Plus, Japan was kinda over the whole Evangelion thing by that point, so we weren't getting the same sort of dark, batshit insane storylines. It was a shift for all RPG developers. And as much as I like the PS2's RPG library (and I do really like it), it felt like a step backwards from what we were getting on the PS1 in a lot of ways, and Square epitomized that difference.

IrishNinja

that's...a pretty excellent way to put it. it was more than just this asshole taking over & sakaguchi's exit; the entire design philosophy very much shifted, and the quality of stuff like the Xenosaga trilogy vs the inception of Xenogears was quite the gulf as a result.

even some of the finest PS2 era JRPGs like Suikoden V were more a return to form, honestly. i think the only thing that was put out that genuinely tried to advance things that i dug (not counting handheld brilliance like TWEWY) was FF XII and its love-it-or-hate-it progressive take on the battle system.

Zing

Banned
In the past five years that I have been focused on older games, no game surprised me more than Threads of Fate. I was actually disappointed to see it end. It's damn cool how you can play through as each character.

Teknoman

Yeah I wish they would at least try to branch out to genres they seemed to do awesome in again. Their first shoot em up was insanely high quality, especially for a first try. Maybe they need to source some new talent...or just try to recapture old talent?

On that note, it seems like all of their non-FF RPGs have been pretty high quality.

Zing

Banned
I give up on Tomba (again). I've given it three chances over the past couple years. Every time, I get to the same part and realize that I am not having fun. The controls are super clunky, the graphics are confusing at times, and it just feels random. I get to the stupid mushroom area with the laughing/crying crap and it just ruins the game for me. Up until that point, I'm at least having some fun.

I've sold and re-bought this damn game twice. I'll keep it for now because I don't need the cash, but I would likely trade it for something hard to find.

Danny Dudekisser

I've never actually played Tomba, but I always hear good things about it. That's kinda disappointing, particularly the bit about clunky controls.

I guess I was kind of expecting something along the lines of Klonoa's quality, giving the glowing recommendations I've heard... should I temper those expectations?

Zing

Banned
I feel Klonoa is one of the best platformers ever made. Right up there with Yoshi's Island. Maybe only second to it.

You are correct that the style evokes Klonoa. The actual feel does not. I too, have constantly heard that it is a good game. I have not seen it elaborated as to why this is. Maybe people are just repeating what they heard. Maybe they look at the current going rate in eBay and assume it is good. I'd really be interested in hearing a fan explain what it is about it that is so fun, and especially how they get through the mushroom area without wanting to vomit or murder. On paper, it should be my kind of game, but it has serious flaws for me.

For now, I'm playing MediEvil II and Jumping Flash.

Danny Dudekisser

I feel Klonoa is one of the best platformers ever made. Right up there with Yoshi's Island. Maybe only second to it.

You are correct that the style evokes Klonoa. The actual feel does not. I too, have constantly heard that it is a good game. I have not seen it elaborated as to why this is. Maybe people are just repeating what they heard. Maybe they look at the current going rate in eBay and assume it is good. I'd really be interested in hearing a fan explain what it is about it that is so fun, and especially how they get through the mushroom area without wanting to vomit or murder. On paper, it should be my kind of game, but it has serious flaws for me.

Well, now I'm thinking I'll give it a pass, because it sounds like our tastes are identical.

Teknoman

I guess the only thing good about the game is the animated intro. On that note, are there any real differences between Klonoa and it's remake?

Danny Dudekisser

I guess the only thing good about the game is the animated intro. On that note, are there any real differences between Klonoa and it's remake?

Wii version gives you 5 hearts instead of 3 (but it's an easy game either way, so the difference is kinda meaningless), the music has been redone (both the compositions and the instrumentation have changed, for the better IMO), and they added in an optional spin move or something that I never used. And obviously the visuals changed.

Personally, I like the remake better. It's one of my favorite games ever.

Teknoman

Yeah i've got the remake, just checking to see if there was a reason to check out the original. I'm kinda surprised they brought him back for the GBA and the Wii, but no 3DS or Vita games.

Ishida

Banned

OP0OYoc.jpg

Wow, holy shit. Feeling envious here... That's a nice find, man! Love that game.

bender

What time is it?
Finished Diablo today. I'd never played the PSX version. The last few levels are rough if you play a melee class. I remember The Lord of Darkness being harder be he was a cakewalk compared to chasing down those endless waves of element shooting succubi. I kind of wish I hadn't played it, my fondness for the game went down a few notches.

I'm onto trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing in King's Field.

This may be a silly question, but just how good is FF:Tactics? Was cleaning out my garage and found my brother's copy. Tbh I have never played it before so how does it hold up?

Raife

This may be a silly question, but just how good is FF:Tactics? Was cleaning out my garage and found my brother's copy. Tbh I have never played it before so how does it hold up?

The game holds up. I just played through it again recently. If you like strategy RPGs, it is among the best. The translation is a little rough compared to the newer release on the PSP. It's still a fantastic game though. Have fun.

hipgnosis

I've never actually played Tomba, but I always hear good things about it. That's kinda disappointing, particularly the bit about clunky controls.

I guess I was kind of expecting something along the lines of Klonoa's quality, giving the glowing recommendations I've heard... should I temper those expectations?

I absolutely love the game. I got used to the controls real quickly and love the 2,5D graphics. The quests are fun and the levels are exciting and innovative. I particularly enjoyed the mushroom level with it's trippy visuals. There really aren't games like the Tombi/Tomba series, the gameplay is pretty innovative metroidesque style. I love the progression in those games. I might actually prefer the second one though. It's super fun and holds up well.

Danny Dudekisser

The game holds up. I just played through it again recently. If you like strategy RPGs, it is among the best. The translation is a little rough compared to the newer release on the PSP. It's still a fantastic game though. Have fun.

I've only played like 10 minutes of FFT on the PSP, but I'm thinking about replacing it with the PS1 version. I don't like the slowdown, or the messed up aspect ratio... and I don't want to dick around with 3rd party patches to make it work properly.

Bancho

Picked this up the other week for £2.70 shipped

Street Fighter EX2 Plus. Loved this game when i was younger. Will need to mod my PSone to play NTSC though as I have PAL PSone, which will be done in the next week or so :) Can't wait to give it a bash.

leroidys

I loved the shit out of both Tomba 1 and 2 as a kid, but even in the PSX era there was a lot to be frustrated with. They both had constant and long load times, the controls seemd stiff and finicky, and there was a ton of backtracking involved. I'm kind of scared to go back to them at this point.

OTOH I've played through MGS and Vagrant Story in the past couple years and they've held up brilliantly. What do you guys think are the great PS1 titles that have held up the best against modern videogames?

Top Bottom