• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

I had no idea you could use original Playstation 1 controllers on a PS2. I brought my fatty that has been giving me issues to my parents house where it quickly died for good. Pulled my brothers PS2 out of a closet and discovered all my controllers work. Good shit.

Also got rid of the piece of shit old tv that we had all the old stuff hooked up to here and grabbed another Sony Trinitron off of craigslist. So now I have two at home, and one at my parents. Gonna just keep collecting them.
Is that an XBR9?

I had no idea you could use original Playstation 1 controllers on a PS2. I brought my fatty that has been giving me issues to my parents house where it quickly died for good. Pulled my brothers PS2 out of a closet and discovered all my controllers work. Good shit.
Yeah they're forward compatible with PS2 games as long as the game doesn't require pressure sensitive buttons.

I have always preferred Tekken 2 to Tekken 3. IDK if it were the characters, unlockables or the levels.
I really loved playing as Jun and missed her in 3. Glad they brought her back for the Tag games.

Is that an XBR9?

No, KV-32HS510.

According to that review, this thing cost $1,000 back in the day. Crazy that CRTs are now so worthless that I grabbed this one for $20 with the stand, and with some patience you can get them for free.

Yeah they're forward compatible with PS2 games as long as the game doesn't require pressure sensitive buttons.

Crazy stuff. Don't care about PS2 stuff, but still pretty cool. Just glad to have something to play PS1 stuff on here.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm like 2.5 hours into Threads of Fate. It's interesting. It's more outlandish than I expected, but I'm definitely enjoying it.

kunonabi

Also got rid of the piece of shit old tv that we had all the old stuff hooked up to here and grabbed another Sony Trinitron off of craigslist. So now I have two at home, and one at my parents. Gonna just keep collecting them.

yeah i try and use the original ps1 controller for everything I can since I can't stand sony's dual analog controllers.

Here are some of my recent pickups. I've been going through and trying to pick up the 6, 7, and 8s in Digital Press's Rarity Guide, so finding cheap copies of Speed Racer and City of Lost Children was great. I've found that it's just a waiting game when it comes to most of the rare but relatively unpopular titles; some of these eBay auctions end at practically pennies. I just can't get tempted by the BINs! Dragonseeds was a very welcome addition that I found at a Goodwill. It's not in the best shape (former rental so the manual is missing the back cover), but it felt nice finally marking it off the list. I've only got a few more titles until I have a complete PSX RPG collection.

HX87P6Ol.jpg

^what a coincidence, I just came from a garage sale on the way back from my jog and picked up MTV music generator for PS1 (along with like 7 random OG Xbox games).

Teknoman

Hey I just found Speed Racer earlier this week myself!

EDIT: PSone tried to boot MML2 as a Music CD...

Is that something common that happens when something is too scratched?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've been replaying Soul Reaver 1 recently. Okay, I've been playing it on PC despite owning the PSX original (got that Steam sale bundle the other day) but I'm posting here because it's more known as a PSX game. So the graphics are slightly better than on PSX, but I'm still amazed at how well the graphics held up -- no doubt due to the amazing art direction. The architecture is just so awesome. And Raziel's animations are pretty damn fluid, it's quite impressive for the time. My favourite area is definitely the Drowned Abbey (Rahab's lair), but the Pillars area, the Razielim territory, the human citadel, everything is so unique and cool. Too bad the PC version (at least the Steam one) is such a buggy mess though. No native controller support (had to fiddle forever with JoyToKey to get it working) and tons of sound glitches. :( I can't recommend the PC version but anyone who has yet to play this, get the PSN one ASAP. Gameplay wise it held up quite well. Camera is, well, PS1 era camera, above average at the time but it can be wonky by today's standards. But combat is fluid enough, the mechanics are still fresh and interesting (particularly the gliding, puzzles, and spectral/material realm dichotomy), platforming isn't too frustrating, and the puzzles are cool even if the usage of blocks get a bit old.

Replaying it just made me so mad that we aren't getting a new-gen Legacy of Kain... I can imagine a game like Soul Reaver with those cool mechanics like the spectral realm and the gliding and the puzzles, the same glorious level design and architecture, the same amazing storytelling and voice acting, but with a modern camera, modern controls with analog support and all the DS3/DS4 buttons and refined combat, and modern graphics. It would be the GOAT.

:(

I've been replaying Soul Reaver 1 recently. Okay, I've been playing it on PC despite owning the PSX original (got that Steam sale bundle the other day) but I'm posting here because it's more known as a PSX game. So the graphics are slightly better than on PSX, but I'm still amazed at how well the graphics held up -- no doubt due to the amazing art direction. The architecture is just so awesome. And Raziel's animations are pretty damn fluid, it's quite impressive for the time. My favourite area is definitely the Drowned Abbey (Rahab's lair), but the Pillars area, the Razielim territory, the human citadel, everything is so unique and cool. Too bad the PC version (at least the Steam one) is such a buggy mess though. No native controller support (had to fiddle forever with JoyToKey to get it working) and tons of sound glitches. :( I can't recommend the PC version but anyone who has yet to play this, get the PSN one ASAP. Gameplay wise it held up quite well. Camera is, well, PS1 era camera, above average at the time but it can be wonky by today's standards. But combat is fluid enough, the mechanics are still fresh and interesting (particularly the gliding, puzzles, and spectral/material realm dichotomy), platforming isn't too frustrating, and the puzzles are cool even if the usage of blocks get a bit old.

Replaying it just made me so mad that we aren't getting a new-gen Legacy of Kain... I can imagine a game like Soul Reaver with those cool mechanics like the spectral realm and the gliding and the puzzles, the same glorious level design and architecture, the same amazing storytelling and voice acting, but with a modern camera, modern controls with analog support and all the DS3/DS4 buttons and refined combat, and modern graphics. It would be the GOAT.

:(

I'm kinda happy the series is dead and we aren't getting any more. Without the writing you end up with garbage like BO2, and without the writing and voice acting there is no point at all. And I don't have faith in a modern one being as well written or not to shit all over the continuity without Amy Hennig. The series ended with hope, and I'm fine leaving it that way.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I have the Dreamcast version of LoK: SR. Not sure how that compares.

Best version, by a mile. Even compared to the PC version (which, in addition to being a piece of shit to set up, uses the models from the PS1 version.)

Not that I've played any version of the game before. But I will someday!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm kinda happy the series is dead and we aren't getting any more. Without the writing you end up with garbage like BO2, and without the writing and voice acting there is no point at all. And I don't have faith in a modern one being as well written or not to shit all over the continuity without Amy Hennig. The series ended with hope, and I'm fine leaving it that way.
You do make a good point. I have little faith in any developer (certainly not Squeenix) in getting it right. But imagine how incredible it would be if done right. Well, you can imagine that if you like to suffer, I guess. :D

I have the Dreamcast version of LoK: SR. Not sure how that compares.
Best version. As far as I know it has the improved graphics over the PS1 version, without the sound glitches.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wow, I had no idea they redid the models for the Dreamcast version. Did they change anything in the backgrounds (geometry or textures) too?

I wonder if I shouldn't have just gotten a DC copy and played it on Dreamcast emulator instead... :D

Gusy

Its incredible how well Colony Wars holds up today. It looks gorgeous. What do you guys hear about vengeance?

woodypop

Its incredible how well Colony Wars holds up today. It looks gorgeous. What do you guys hear about vengeance?
Yeah, Colony Wars was the game that spurred me to get the original (non-DualShock) Dual Analog Controller. I think Vengeance was pretty good, too. Dunno about Red Sun though. Strange how the series disappeared.

I remember it having incredible sound on the explosions back in the day.

Yeah, Colony Wars was the game that spurred me to get the original (non-DualShock) Dual Analog Controller. I think Vengeance was pretty good, too. Dunno about Red Sun though. Strange how the series disappeared.

It's sad, I would have liked the G-Police series to continue too.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I remember it having incredible sound on the explosions back in the day.

It's sad, I would have liked the G-Police series to continue too.

I've actually found the whole Colony Wars trilogy in a charity shop for £1 each some months ago. The cases weren't in the best condition but at least everything was in there.
Really cool game, and should give them a proper playthrough these days.

I've actually found the whole Colony Wars trilogy in a charity shop for £1 each some months ago. The cases weren't in the best condition but at least everything was in there.
Really cool game, and should give them a proper playthrough these days.

Nice! I'd love to play them myself, just need to find some time to do so. Colony Wars was in the height of Psygnosis titles on PS1, they really made lots of incredible titles.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Nice! I'd love to play them myself, just need to find some time to do so. Colony Wars was in the height of Psygnosis titles on PS1, they really made lots of incredible titles.
Indeed, especially the WipeOut series is just outstanding in terms of graphics. I'll need to get G-Police, as I remember playing the demo of it and reading it in PC magazines back in the day.
Great studio, sadly gone now.

TnK

Hey I just found Speed Racer earlier this week myself!

EDIT: PSone tried to boot MML2 as a Music CD...

Is that something common that happens when something is too scratched?
Yes, very normal to happen. Used to happen to me a lot with my old scratched games. Lol, just remembering it makes me feel nostalgic.

I will post my PSX collection when I get back home, since I have a good sizable one now.

Indeed, especially the WipeOut series is just outstanding in terms of graphics. I'll need to get G-Police, as I remember playing the demo of it and reading it in PC magazines back in the day.
Great studio, sadly gone now.

I'd die for a WipEout HD Trilogy! Judging by your avatar, you'll like G-Police. The cities have that Blade Runner vibe over them!

Recall

Owned these since they were first released. I really enjoyed them, with getting everything unlocked and getting all those high scores.

image_zps33a2bc29.jpg

Guess i've got to find someone to resurface and hope it works afterwards...
Try to put the CD in boiling water first.

There are instructions all over the net and it saved my butt previously. But be careful, of course; it's right after it stops boiling and I've always changed the water into a new container other than the one that was heated.

I wonder if it's any good.

Holy shit there is a city of the lost children game?

Played it this weekend and it was super frustrating. The tank controls aren't too much of an issue, but every single time your character runs into something (which happens quite often because of the changing camera angles) you lose control for two or three seconds as the character goes through this wincing animation. Some of the items that you have to get are practically impossible to find because of the low resolution and you really have no idea what's going on the entire time.

Didn't have much fun with it at all.

I wonder if it's any good.

Played it this weekend and it was super frustrating. The tank controls aren't too much of an issue, but every single time your character runs into something (which happens quite often because of the changing camera angles) you lose control for two or three seconds as the character goes through this wincing animation. Some of the items that you have to get are practically impossible to find because of the low resolution and you really have no idea what's going on the entire time.

Didn't have much fun with it at all.

I remember it getting very bad reviews back in the day.

this ones an oldie

only played a demo of this back in the day but recently purchased it off of ebay

256px-Mrdomino.jpg

I think I still need to pick up a copy of this?

I'm itching to play through some Digimon: Digital Card Battle soon. Some of us over at NA have been talking about what constitutes a complete PS1 RPG collection and we've been going back and forth about what games count because there are so many cool hybrids on the system (and we all know that RPG means so many things). I felt like the Digimon game was a good addition.

pikablu

I'm itching to play through some Digimon: Digital Card Battle soon. Some of us over at NA have been talking about what constitutes a complete PS1 RPG collection and we've been going back and forth about what games count because there are so many cool hybrids on the system (and we all know that RPG means so many things). I felt like the Digimon game was a good addition.

Still looking for a copy of this in the wild. I've never found one. I almost won a copy for 15 on ebay but lost at the last second.

Stainless

IMAG0959.jpg

Got all these except Castlevania in the last week or so. Paid $85 for the Suikoden from Amazon, just showed up today with the Um Jammer. I looked through all the sellers selling Suikoden 2 and found some with the pics and this one looked really good. It's in excellent condition. Pretty happy with it. (Um Jammer Lammy was $8 brand new lol)

I missed out on a Parappa with the poster on ebay so I just picked up the next best one I could find.

I have a few more coming that I also got through ebay purchases: Diablo ($36), GTA2 (with map, $11) and Heart of Darkness(around $13, I think).

Didn't know there was a speed racer game. Man I loved that show when I was a kid! I may have to look for a copy of that.

radaxian

IMAG0959.jpg

Got all these except Castlevania in the last week or so. Paid $85 for the Suikoden from Amazon, just showed up today with the Um Jammer. I looked through all the sellers selling Suikoden 2 and found some with the pics and this one looked really good. It's in excellent condition. Pretty happy with it. (Um Jammer Lammy was $8 brand new lol)

I missed out on a Parappa with the poster on ebay so I just picked up the next best one I could find.

I have a few more coming that I also got through ebay purchases: Diablo ($36), GTA2 (with map, $11) and Heart of Darkness(around $13, I think).

Didn't know there was a speed racer game. Man I loved that show when I was a kid! I may have to look for a copy of that.

There have been rumours that Suikoden 2 will finally get released on PSN some time soon. Fingers crossed as I'd love to finally play it on the Vita.

Stainless

I need to get around to playing Suikoden 1...

I downloaded it from PSN, got about an hour, hour and a half into it, and loved it. I've never played a JRPG before, only western rpgs, mmo's, platformers or shooters. Once I got through a few battles and figured out what was going on, I was hooked. I had to leave for the movies (Xmen) and couldn't figure out how to save the game, so I lost all that playtime. (I googled it, have to find an innkeeper, I guess)
Also, the dragon you fly on at first, it sounds just like an elephant.Ha!

There have been rumours that Suikoden 2 will finally get released on PSN some time soon. Fingers crossed as I'd love to finally play it on the Vita.

I'd definitely like to see that happen. I'm sure there are a lot of people that want to play it. I need to get a Vita soon

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked these up for a £1 each, during my lunch break:

gIrnXu4.jpg

They were in pretty good condition and pretty cool games (not sure about Micro Maniacs but will give it a try).
I've already got Metal Gear Solid, so I'm thinking of giving it in exchange at my favourite retro gaming shop.

Top Bottom