• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 = CD, PS2 = DVD, PS3 = BR. How will Sony 'WOW' us with PS4?

Teletraan1

Banned
Straightforward hardware that you don't need to be from 3 years in the future to understand how to get anything out of.

Raoh

4K interfaces

sonys-high-resolution-blue-screen-of-death_phil_pan-100021119-large.jpg

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
No Trojan Horse rides this time but Move+ will be awesome.

Colin.

Unfortunately (thankfully?) the 4K tech is still very young and so there really is no agreed format within the industry on how to deliver 4K content. I think some dual layered BD do it but from what I've heard Kaz wants a new format for it and we'll have to see how the industry reacts.

As such, the PS4 can only really stick to BD. I would assume cloud gaming/video streaming could be huge if done right.

If speculation is true and it does come out late 2013, I think a dual layered or some other increased capacity blu ray disc would be most likely. having an inbuilt player capable of 4K would be too expensive to pull off this year. Bit pointless as well since virtually nothing supports it yet and I don't see people upgrading from their regular LCD TV's any time soon.

As for cloud gaming it could be interesting, if done well. But with all the bandwidth it chews up it would be rather expensive to run.

yurinka

Game and movie streaming (Gaikai).
And for retail, BluRay3D bigger than 50GB (even if PS3 would be compatible too thanks to a firmware update).
They'll need them for 4K 4D devices which is gonna be their focus after 3D and FullHD reaches everywhere.

Mario007

If speculation is true and it does come out late 2013, I think a dual layered or some other increased capacity blu ray disc would be most likely. having an inbuilt player capable of 4K would be too expensive to pull off this year. Bit pointless as well since virtually nothing supports it yet and I don't see people upgrading from their regular LCD TV's any time soon.

As for cloud gaming it could be interesting, if done well. But with all the bandwidth it chews up it would be rather expensive to run.

Yeah I agree. Sony's already going to release some dual layered BD movies, so I presume ps4 will be able to read them and play them in 4K. I really don't know why they would need another format to deliver 4K experience if they can do it with BD but I don't know much about this stuff.

It's certainly true that the TV tech seems complacent with Full HD for now, so I doubt we'll see 4K entering the living room big time in the next 3-4 years and then we'd already be halfway through the generation so really there is no need for a different disc format reader to be in the PS4.

I'm curious about the cloud gaming as well. It could be a small thing at the start but by the end of the generation it could be huge with higher bandwith and less internet caps from the providers.

Playstation was not first with a CD media format by a long shot.
Yeah, really. NEC says "hi". Sega says "yo, what's up". PCs say "oh, hey, I didn't see you from all the way over here".

I'll grant you DVD (although Xbox used the same format the year after, and GC... kinda used DVD to my understanding, just in a very small format and I think with the data written the other direction?) and Blu-Ray, however.

Sony has always done something new and different from the competitors and it always seems to pay of for them in the long run. PS1 had CD and you could play your music on it. PS2 had DVD and that was a #gamechanger. PS3 and BR didn't take off as Sony would have hoped but in the long run, BR seems to be the a great move for Sony.

So what will the PS4 have that will wow us and that will set it apart from the competitors? Is 4k the answer? What else can they use?

that was all Ken Kuturagi, now that he is gone don't expect anything radical.

samwizered

Just a faster BD drive, so mandatory installs for some games will no longer be necessary.

Moving to another format wouldn't make much sense right now. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any PS3 games that use more than one disc, and very few games use anywhere near the 50Gb capacity of BD. I think the best option would to continue using BD-ROM, since the worst that could happen is that we'll start seeing games require two discs, which isn't much of an inconvenience anyway.

Cheech

Like with Move, they will put out some Kinect 1.5 grade product, which will be shamed by Microsoft's actual Kinect 2.0.

Top Bottom