• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 = CD, PS2 = DVD, PS3 = BR. How will Sony 'WOW' us with PS4?

By not calling it PS4 due to cultural reasons.

For anyone who doesn't understand this:

PS4 - The number 4 (四) can be translated as "shi," - "shi" can be translated as death (死).

And "PlayStation Death" isn't a good name for a console...

So some Japanese institutions, not to jinx things, decide to skip over the number 4 (like how some silly people refuse to accept bills that total $6.66 in the USA).

And it would be oddly ironic, considering they already have a "PlayStation Life (Vita)."

The phenomenon is officially called "Tetraphobia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraphobia

wildfire

Banned
It would be very funny if Sony came out with Holographic storage when it was Nintendo that has poured in the most investments into that storage tech.

PS4 - The number 4 (四) can be translated as "shi," - "shi" can be translated as death (死).

So some Japanese institutions, not to jinx things, decide to skip over the number 4 (like how some silly people refuse to accept bills that total $6.66 in the USA).

This is dumb and people need to stop bringing it up.

As evidence I submit the following japanese games.

Gran Turismo 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, Monster Hunter 4, Devil May Cry 4, MegaMan 4, Street Fighter 4, Final Fantasy 4 and god knows how many others.

If they do ditch numbering it will be a marketing thing and have nothing to do with this supernatural BS. The vita not being called "psp2" makes me think they will drop the number for the next console though.

1.) Off-TV play. Essentially, they're going to run with Nintendo's idea, but with better, more intuitive OS and cosmetically superior gamepad.

2.) Integrated Eye-Toy/Camera in the console to allow for motion/voice control of the UI, similar to Samsung's 'Smart Interaction' Smart TV

HooYaH

PS4 will finally cook burgers.

But really, it's probably Gaikai and 4k stuff. The interview with Hirai during CES pretty much confirms when he said announcements of 4k content will be unveiled in the coming months which also coincide with PS4 announcement.

clem84

Gold Member
There's no reason for them to go for a newer, better format. With the kind of specs the PS4 will ost likely have, Blu-ray will do just fine.

leroidys

i think sony will push for cloud services really hard. they have an acquired tech company to power it and show THEM how it's done, and they have no new storage medium on the horizon.

this is it. this is internet and cloud services time. every game is going to be day and date on PSN alongside retail. (it is for the most part now, right?) cloud storage is going to increase, and i'd even say they would give free users some storage and PS+ members way more. also no more of this "you can only download 3 times" mess either.

it's going to be about the ecosystem and connecting devices together.

This right here.

Their streaming services will be their next big format push. Expect subsidized consoles on day 1 with subscriptions to music unlimited, video unlimited, and/or playstation plus.

This is assuming that Kaz is for real, and serious about his "one Sony" approach. Their streaming services are pretty good right now, but no division is really pushing them, they just kind of exist in the background.

Kaz even came right out and said this at CES.

Honestly, I don't know if I expect them to. They release with online support that doesn't beg for large updates from the moment it comes out and I'll be happy.

sveg99

Neo Member
Cartridges[No load time] or probably flash drives[cheaper and more space capability] would be good. Can't seriously handle optical media they get scratched.

Subtle

And it would be oddly ironic, considering they already have a "PlayStation Life (Vita)."

The phenomenon is officially called "Tetraphobia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraphobia

Well hey, if the Playstation Vita is dying, Playstation 4 might do really well ;)!

EDIT: Although I am getting tired of Playstation #. Sony should mix it up for the PS4, regardless of tetraphobia.

Honestly, I expect a shift away from optical media, to 'cartridges' (high capacity flash cards); no loading times, variable sizes that can be increased as the generation goes on and the games get more demanding, and not as easy to damage, all make them an attractive and valuable proposition.

Kevin

I'm not saying Oculus Rift but... Oculus Rift!

giorgio-tsoukalos.jpeg

Wasn't a massive selling point for BluRay the future-proofing in the console space?

edit: Shit, thought the thread title meant 'what will Sony replace BluRay with?' Laugh at me if you wish :(

Type_Raver

Ill treat this as a serious topic, despite some hilarious posts.

Its obvious, and is only two characters long:

Whether games will support it is unknown, but you can bet it will offer 4k video playback.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can Bluray play 4K?

I think BDXL could accommodate 4K given HEVC/"h265", however as far as I'm aware there are no native 4K BDs just yet. Sony announced "mastered" 4K BD titles at CES, but as you'd expect they're just upscaled from 1080p.

televator

Sony ain't doin' nuffin! There's no other disk media on the rise and I think Sony is done pushing the envelope for a long time. All the news about the company in general gives me the sense that Sony is hurting big and aren't quite in the position to drag the general public into adopting new tech just for the heck of it anymore.

I think they'll still be using their technology... the bluray... but a bluray with with larger capacity, also they will be selling digital games, probably nothing is gonna change at all!

quest

Not Banned from OT
Finally having the horse power under the hood to take advantage of bluray. High resolution textures and much larger worlds will be a damn good start.

The state Sony as a whole is in, there'll be nothing too outlandish. They need to go for guaranteed millions rather than pie-in-the-sky billions

Neonsands

Neo Member
Well, with the PSP Go, the push for digital on Vita, upgrades to PSN, and the other digital influences have all pointed towards cloud influence. Discs will be hard to eliminate, but I see the marketplace becoming a bigger factor.

Top Bottom