• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 = CD, PS2 = DVD, PS3 = BR. How will Sony 'WOW' us with PS4?

Colin.

Yeah I agree. Sony's already going to release some dual layered BD movies, so I presume ps4 will be able to read them and play them in 4K. I really don't know why they would need another format to deliver 4K experience if they can do it with BD but I don't know much about this stuff.

It's certainly true that the TV tech seems complacent with Full HD for now, so I doubt we'll see 4K entering the living room big time in the next 3-4 years and then we'd already be halfway through the generation so really there is no need for a different disc format reader to be in the PS4.

I'm curious about the cloud gaming as well. It could be a small thing at the start but by the end of the generation it could be huge with higher bandwith and less internet caps from the providers.

I suppose thinking about it that way it could be possible, if the 4K movies and such that roll out can fit onto the dual layered blu rays. Thinking about these increased sizes, I hope the prices of hard drives improve quickly. With all the updates, game data, games and other media those fill up fast!

Even most HD TV shows only broadcast at 720p at the moment, so 4K in the average home wont be seen for around 5 years in my opinion. I definitely think cloud gaming is going to become more common eventually once internet capabilities do increase. Being able to use Plus without even needing to download the game would be great.

As for the no used games patent, I don't think they will go ahead with it. Too risky with a big competitor releasing a console around the same time. If they disabled used games but the next xbox didn't, they would be shooting themselves in the foot, big time.

EdgeXL

lo499M7wrgQgm

KalBalboa

Banned
I'd love a $399 super-tight console that focuses on strengthening their already available tech, a la the Gamecube.

Faster RAM, faster hard drive, faster Blu Ray drive, USB 3, etc. The PS3 was over reaching for its time to warrant that price tag, but I don't think I really need another Ferrari console. I'd be wowed to see Sony play it smarter.

i think sony will push for cloud services really hard. they have an acquired tech company to power it and show THEM how it's done, and they have no new storage medium on the horizon.

this is it. this is internet and cloud services time. every game is going to be day and date on PSN alongside retail. (it is for the most part now, right?) cloud storage is going to increase, and i'd even say they would give free users some storage and PS+ members way more. also no more of this "you can only download 3 times" mess either.

it's going to be about the ecosystem and connecting devices together.

Arkam

Faster bluray

Lol yea that's about it on the format side of things. I doubt we see any changes on this (except read speed) until console go all digital.

Just no new emerging format right now or on the horizon.

If Sony is going to wow gamers, it will have to be through content/service.

evangd007

Current indications are that the tech Sony plans to push with PS4 is 4k resolution. I expect this to blow up in their face faster than you can say 3D TV.

DXPett1

Sony will wow me if they get their digital distribution, psn and other cloud aspects ready and sharp for day one. None of this, is coming....soon after launch which really means never crap

mclem

Sony has always done something new and different from the competitors and it always seems to pay of for them in the long run. PS1 had CD and you could play your music on it. PS2 had DVD and that was a #gamechanger. PS3 and BR didn't take off as Sony would have hoped but in the long run, BR seems to be the a great move for Sony.

None of those factors 'wowed' me, as you put it. Other factors did, but I've never really had that much attraction to the storage medium on which games are distributed.

mrpeabody

Games that update themselves automatically and in the background, so when you turn on the console it's ready to go. Without a monthly fee.

Firmware that does the same thing.

It's against Sony's nature to put the user first, but I have faith that they can do it.

DiscoJer

I would guess a higher capacity Blu-Ray? For 4k TVs? Like 200 gigs? I mean, heck, even PC games are getting to be huge these days. Tera, that MMORPG that just went F2P is like 45 gigs.

But while the PS2 and PS3 were actually pretty cheap ways to get a DVD and Blu-Ray player when launched, the cd drive was pretty common when the PS1 launched.

RedSwirl

∀ Narayan;46489731 said:

The answer I wanted to give! But maybe in the next next Playstation.

I'd just expect support for more blu-ray layers and for them to call it a day on that. Storage memory seems to expand quicker than we know what do with it short of stupidly high resolution videos.

To be more serious, basically this. I'd imagine they'll just support more Blu-Ray layers next gen. We haven't even really hit the limit of dual-layer Blu-Ray discs yet. A few recent PC games are 20 or 30GB, but that's about it.

Top Bottom