• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 on PSP reminds me why I skipped that generation...

Any console that boasts of the largest library of games will statistically have the most crap ones. Never was this truer than the PS1.

Still some excellent games but now the honeymoons over and I'm wading through loads of C grade titles to find something decent to play.

If you could pick only two totally different titles from the library what would you choose? I'd go with FFVII and Einhander.

RumFore

Banned
replicashooter said:
Any console that boasts of the largest library of games will statistically have the most crap ones. Never was this truer than the PS1.

Still some excellent games but now the honeymoons over and I'm wading through loads of C grade titles to find something decent to play.

If you could pick only two totally different titles from the library what would you choose? I'd go with FFVII and Einhander.

Your loss. If you skipped it you missed out on some great games for there time.

Javaman

The PS2 seems to have a much more "decent game" density then the PS1. Part of that I think has to do with finally being past the PS1 generation's akward psudo 3d crap.

Devil Dice and Wipeout 3.

DD is huge pick up and play fun, and my favorite puzzler of that generation. Plus, it has several very-different modes, essentially making it different games that share some mechanics. (Thinking puzzle, endless-tetris-like puzzle, two battle modes that are are more a back-and-forth stuiggle).

Wipeout 3 has a ton of modes, and some of the best tracks. I'd say Wipeout 1, but I think 3 is the longest-lasting, and best balance of the elements of 1 and XL.

Devil Dice is, in fact, the first thing I ripped for PSP. I haven't moved on to any other game yet. :)

EBCubs03

Banned
Why can't you just buy the good ones? If you can't tell a good game apart from a bad, you really don't know your own tastes too well..

Mrbob

replicashooter said:

Virtual Boy best system ever, confirmed.

Vagrant Story and Metal Gear Solid

Jiggy

I'm just assuming these are "totally different" enough for your standards, but Star Ocean 2 and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Ranger X

Pikelet said:
The average quality of the n64 games was higher than the psx, due in most part to the much smaller library

hmmm, not really. For pretty much any console it's always like 10% of games that are truly good and worth your money. You notice more crap the bigger the library is.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy VIII
Hell, if I could only play these two games for the rest of my gaming years, I think I'd be content.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
BlueTsunami said:
N64 had it worse than the PS1. Theres also lots of shining gems on it that outweigh the shitty games

Pretty much. The N64 had a ton of crappy games and its library was equally crappy by default, because it didn't have that many games (crappy or otherwise) to begin with.

It had a ton of gems though.

Edit: Oh. Sotn, Metal Gear, Brave Fencer Musashi, Fear Effect, Dino Crisis, the RE games, and Parasite Eve 1 & 2.

EBCubs03 said:
Why can't you just buy the good ones? If you can't tell a good game apart from a bad, you really don't know your own tastes too well..

The problem lies in the fact that I'm reading old reviews of things that were good at the time and some of them have aged terribly. Games like Tenchu must have been as unplayable in 98 as they are in 007 though...

ourumov said:
This thread is stupid... As if other generations hadn't had crap...

Far from being a "X generation is crap" thread the replies above help point out the diamonds that were lying in manure.

Mrbob said:
Virtual Boy best system ever, confirmed.

:lol I still haven't got round to picking one of those up yet. Will have to soon as I can't see the sensible prices they are going for lasting much longer.

Pikelet said:
The average quality of the n64 games was higher than the psx, due in most part to the much smaller library

hit_nail_on_head.jpg

Great responses from those that didn't cop out with more than 2 titles :D Devil Dice has been added to the 'to-do' list.

Speevy

Banned
I'm so glad you skipped that generation, and now you're playing its games. Giving impressions of games you haven't played before in their original retail form, but that you have now. As a file. On a hard drive. This is a wonderful thread.

Gantz

Banned
replicashooter said:

Wow good to know I'm not the only one out there who thought this. Same goes for the PS2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Are you people serious?

The "percentage" of crap is high? So ****ing what. The "absolute" number of kickass games is way higher than on any other console.

This argument is COMPLETELY ridiculous and inane. If you are arguing that because there is a large percentage of crappy games on the PS1/2 because the library is bigger and therefore you have to wade through those crappy games to find good games, you are off your rocker.

There is a SHITTON of good games. Who gives a shit about the percentage of bad games?

I don't really get this...

While playing Einhander do you cringe and say "God dammit, Bubsy 3D is also a game for the Playstation!"

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Red Blaster said:
I don't really get this...

While playing Einhander do you cringe and say "God dammit, Bubsy 3D is also a game for the Playstation!"

:lol :lol :lol

The thread itself is seems to be a rabbit punch at the PS1. Theres ways to find the cream of the crop games for the PS1, I'm wondering if hes playing through the games based on Alphabetical order or Chronological release...instead of...you know...choosing to play the widely known good games.

Wario64 said:
What a dumb reason to skip a "generation."
agreed

of course any large library of games is bound to have its share of bad apples....it comes with the package. if it bothers you that much, then hey just avoid those bad games and just play the good ones, no?
problem solved......

Speevy

Banned
Go to Gamerankings and search for N64 games. Watch how fast the list drops from the 90% range down to 80%, then to 70%, then below.

The system had some of the most revolutionary games in history. Mario 64. Zelda OoT. Waverace 64. However, there just wasn't enough support to take it seriously.

And yes, I think the PS1 had a TON of crappy games, perhaps a higher % than even the NES, and that's saying something. But the top tier of PS1 games is SIGNIFICANTLY more robust than that of the N64.

Durante

Only 2 games, and from different genres? You're not making this easy...
Xenogears
Symphony of the Night

But there are more than 15 absolute must-haves left on PS1 after those two, and tonnes of very good games after that. I just don't see how anyone could complain about the PS1's (or 2's) library.

Speevy

Banned
Apparently my first post wasn't clear enough. This thread is neither about the technical nature of emulation nor does it concern N64/PS1 library comparisons.

It's a guy who wants you to tell him why the PS1 library is worthwhile because he can't seem to find the right files for his PSP.

agent069

Banned
Crash Bandicoot
Dragon Quest 7

anyway, I don't really understand the point of this thread, every console's library is composed of 95% of shitty, 4,99% of good games, ans a few killer apps. What matter are the last 5%, which is pretty fine in a way, I wouldn't want to have thousand of games in my game collection.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Speevy said:
Apparently my first post wasn't clear enough. This thread is neither about the technical nature of emulation nor does it concern N64/PS1 library comparisons.

It's a guy who wants you to tell him why the PS1 library is worthwhile because he can't seem to find the right files for his PSP.

Yea, and I'm mad I fell for this nonsense.

Pfftt...that's stupid to skip an entire generation with logic like that.

You don't buy every crap game that comes your way, that just goes without saying!

By that purely statistically reasoning the PS1 was home to a higher number of great games, so it's still wins anyway, HA!!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill

That might floor some of you that I didn`t pick an RPG, but those two are easily what defined the best of my PS1 experience.

Speevy

Banned
Any console that boasts of the largest library of games will statistically have the most crap ones. Never was this truer than the NES.

If you could pick only two totally different titles from the library what would you choose? I'd go with Super Mario Brothers and The Legend of Zelda.

Top Bottom