• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Appreciation & Celebration Thread, long live the King!

m0t0k1

Loved my PS2 the best system after the DS. I would recommend some games that may flew under the radar like

Monster Rancher 4
Battle Engine Aquila
Fatal Frame 2
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Rogue Galaxy
Ar Tonelico 2: Melody of MetaFalica
Odin Sphere
GrimGrimoire
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love (i must admit i played this game on my wii bought it for 5 euro in January 2013 and regret not buying this earlier.)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This system will haunt me with its backlog till the day I die. So much great stuff released on the PS2, and it seriously makes me sad how we only last gen could get so many strange wonderful games that all seemed to do well enough, and now games are homogenizing and bombing if they sell less than 5 million. A sad state of affairs really - but at least it enables us to do something about that backlog :)

Yawnier

Banned
The best home console of all time, only the SNES and PS1 come close to it.

Jak Series
Ratchet and Clank Series
Sly Cooper Series
God of War Series
Metal Gear Solid Series
Zone of the Enders Series
Dark Cloud Series
Kingdom Hearts Series
Devil May Cry Series
Dynasty Warriors Series
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
FFX/XII
Klonoa 2
Rayman 2: Revolution
Gitaroo Man
War of the Monsters
Kinetica
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
Amplitude/Frequency

So many great and amazing games in a span of mostly 5 or 6 years, it blows my mind.

if i was made to choose i would prefer the ps1's lineup overall bit fuck it, the ps2 is the true goat

its fall 2001 was facemeltingly ridiculous

Seik

Banned
Aaaaaw yeah, another Retro-GAF thread.

Long live the king and long live this thread.

My most played PS2 games:
- Final Fantasy X
- Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3
- Persona 3/4
- Resident Evil Outbreak (Back then when the servers when online, offline is BS)
- Area 51 (Online as well)
- Dark Cloud
- DMC series
- GTA series
- God of War I-II
- Mortal Kombat Deception
- Many, many more. My PS2 backlog is gigantic too. D:

Contra11

Banned
I played the best and worst games of my life on this console ..But it remains my favorite console

MY BEST :

MGS 2 - 3
ICO
Burnout Revenge
RE4
Tekken 5
POP : The Sands of Time " 2 & 3 not as good"
Beyond Good & Evil
Devil May Cry 1 - 3
GTA Vice City
GOW 1 - 2
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
Onimusha 1 - 2 - 3
Fatal Frame 2
Soul Calibur II

IrishNinja

great thread, absolute beast of a console. who the fuck else had stuff like MGS 2, FF X & DMC within a little after a year of release?

just a heads-up to everybody here: if you're in the mood for PS2 games, now might be the time to scoop some up at Gamestop if you're inclined...most shops near me already tragically got rid of their GC & Xbox inventory, i'm told PS2 is on its way out already as well. I say this cause i'm still after R-Type Final and a few others, and god forbid you want a good price on say Devil Summoner, you might get lucky.

wish i knew what they did with that stock, they say it just goes back to warehouses or whatever but it'd be tragic if they just destroy it, they don't sell em on their online store either.

PS i think OP should have some HDD Loader love! that thing not only saves your laser, it really helps the loading time of titles like Suikoden V.

It's at least tied for my favorite console ever (along with snes) if not my favorite.
The barrage of quailty games that hit in fall of 2001 when I first bought it (Devil May Cry, Jak and Dexter, Grand Theft Auto 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, FFX, SSX Tricky, Max Payne, not too mention Maximo a few months later) was fricking amazing, never had that happen with another console.

Mully

SOCOM love all up in this thread!

socom2_110403_5inline.jpg

Teknoman

I dont care what anyone says, Megaman X 8 is fun. I need to find Blood will tell, but people should give Shinobi a shot too. Of course the Onimusha series is an obvious recommendation.

Legacy of Kain - Defiance.

That story and atmosphere.

Never had the chance to give this a shot, but really liked Soul Reaver. Pretty easy to find these days?

Also does Kill.switch still hold up? Same with Nanobreaker.

EDIT: Hopefully Gamestop has a huge 75% price drop like the GBA, Xbox, and GC.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Nanobreaker is some of the worst crap ever released. How is it getting put up there with the likes of Godhand? :X

IrishNinja

one thing that's weird about the HDD loader is that some/most stuff still seems region locked for me, i remember reading about a memory card exploit that'd solve this & keep me from having to use my flip top loader thing (it's not perfect) but i never figured that out

Aad

Does anyone here own the Japan only PSX machine? If so I'd love to see some pictures :3

Snaku

Banned
It'll be a cold day in Hell before I appreciate the system who's mere rumor was enough to kill the Dreamcast.

AkzX1EN.jpg

The hundreds of hours me and my brother spent racing each other in this game, trying to unlock every car in the car were fantastic fun. The sequel to this game just wasn't the same. I still bust this game out from time to time when I need some good, arcade racing fun.

I always hated the damn helicopter with the friggen missile on it though.

sn00zer

AkzX1EN.jpg

The hundreds of hours me and my brother spent racing each other in this game, trying to unlock every car in the car were fantastic fun. The sequel to this game just wasn't the same. I still bust this game out from time to time when I need some good, arcade racing fun.

This and Timesplitters 2...such great times...agree with you on the sequel, just not as fun for whatever reason

mooooose

The coolest part of the PS2 is the fact that its best games are available on PSN.

Persona 3, God Hand, Katamari, Fire Pro Wrestling, and Okami are all there, and considering how niche they are they really have no right.

PS2 was a great system. Countless great games from Japan. It was before the huge rise of western development.

sn00zer

Really wish another Katamari had come around this gen.... game was so unique, had a decent enough budget from a big publisher....that game should have never been made by all accounts and it was....and it was awesome

Loved the PS2, literally had something for everyone and some of its top games were E or T-rated and not part of this gens "Needs to be M rated to sell" mentalitiy

Fox Mulder

wish i knew what they did with that stock, they say it just goes back to warehouses or whatever but it'd be tragic if they just destroy it, they don't sell em on their online store either.

Well gamestops were apparently told to trash their guitar hero stuff not too far back, so they do throw games away. What a shame really, couldn't even bother to give the stuff away to goodwill or whatever.

Lyte Edge

Absolutely loved the PS2. Despite a pretty mediocre first year overall (I imported a system in April 2000 and am counting the time from that period onward), the system ended up becoming my favorite console of the previous generation. I've owned multiple systems over the years, and right now just have a black PS2 slim with a mod chip for imports.

Here is my humble collection of games:

Fantavision (J)
Futari De Fantavision (J)
I.Q. Remix+ -Intelligent Qube- (J)
Ka / Mr. Mosquito (J)
Ka 2: Let's Go Hawaii! / Mr. Mosquito 2 (J)
Parappa The Rapper 2 (J)
Saru Get You 2 / Ape Escape 2 (J)
Sau Get You 3 / Ape Escape 3 (J)
The Mark Of Kri
Rise Of The Kasai
Champions Of Norrath
Champions: Return To Arms
Kinetica
Tekken Tag Tournament
Tekken 4 (J)
Tekken: Nina Williams: Death By Degrees (J)
Urban Reign (J)
Ridge Racer V
Kaze No Klonoa 2 / Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil (J)
Katamari Damacy
Soul Calibur II (Greatest Hits- the red stripe of shame!)
Soul Calibur III (J)
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Shinkon Gattai Godannar!! (J)
Chou Dragon Ball Z / Super Dragon Ball Z (J)

The Chikyuu Boueigun 2 / Earth Defense Force 2 (J)
The Oneechanpon / Zombie Hunters 2 (J) (Oneechanbara 2 with additional content)
Virtua Fighter: 10th Anniversary (J)
Virua Fighter 4 Evolution (J)
Outrun 2 SP: Special Tours (J)
Shinobi (J)
Kunoichi / Nightshade (J)
Initial D Special Stage (J)
Yakuza
Yakuza 2
DecAthlete Collection (DeAthlete, Winter Heat, and Virtua Athlete 2K) (J)
Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box (Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, and Alien Soldier) (J)
Hokuto No Ken / Fist Of The North Star (J)
The Rumble Fish (J)
Spy Fiction (J)
Space Channel 5 Sepcial Edition (Space Channel 5 1 and 2)
Sakura Wars ~So long, my love~ LE
Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance (J)
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence
Rumble Roses (Has some extra content and added animations over the U.S. version) (J)
Zone Of The Enders w/ MGS2 demo
Zone Of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
Cool Girl / Cy Girls (J)
Castlevania / Castlevania: Lament Of Innocence (J)
Akumajyou Dracula: Yami No Juin / Castlevania: Curse Of Darkness (Konami The Best) (J)

Silent Hill 2 (Greatest Hits- has additional content from the Xbox version)
Silent Hill 3 (J)
Silent Hill 4: The Room (J)
Gradius V (J)
OZ (J)
Bloody Roar 4 (J)
Technictix (J)
Technic Beat (J)
Melty Blood: Actress Again (J)
Arcana Heart (J)
Hajime No Ippo: Victorious Boxers (J)
Raging Bless (Golden Axe style action game from the former Jaleco) (J)
Outlaw Volleyball Remix
Hunter The Reckoning: Wayward
Escape From Monkey Island
Tenchu 3 /Tenchu: Wrath Of Heaven (J)
Tenchu Kurenai / Tenchu Fatal Shadows (J)
Shinobido: Imashime (J)
Shinobido: Takumi (J)
Dead Or Alive 2: Hard*Core (Has some extra content over U.S. version) (J)
Winback (J)
Gitaroo Man (J)
Maken Shao (Maken X with a third-person view) (J)
Odin Sphere
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness

Super Galdelic Hour (Virtual TV show with girls doing weird mini-games) (J)
Final Fantasy X International (J)
Final Fantasy X-2
X-Fire / X-Squad (Has different character design and music from U.S. version) (J)
Rally Shox (J)
SSX Tricky (J)
SSX3 (J)
Garoudensetsu / Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 1 (FF1, 2, Special, and 3) (J)
Garoudensetsu / Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 2 (Real Bout, RBS, and RB2) (J)
Garou / Fatal Fury Mark Of The Wolves (J)
Ryuuko No Ken: Tenchi Jin / Art Of Fighting Anthology (AOF1-3) (J)
Samurai Spirits: Rokuban Shobu / Samurai Shodown Anthology (SS1-6) (J)
Fu'un Super Combo (Savage Reign and Kizuna Encounter) (J)
The King Of Fighters '94 ReBout (J)
The King Of Fighters NeoWave (Has Angel and May Lee) (J)
The King Of Fighters XI (J)
The King Of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match (J)
The King Of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match (J)
The King Of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match Tougeki (Bug fixes) (J)
KOF Maximum Impact (J)
KOF Maximum Impact 2 (J)
KOF Maximum Impact: Regulation A (Arcade version of MI2 with more characters) (J)
SNK Vs. Capcom: SvC Chaos (J)
NeoGeo Battle Colliseum (Has awful load times that are vastly improved on PS3!) (J)
Metal Slug 3 (J)

Twinkle Star Sprites: La Petite Princess (3D remake) (J)
ADK Tamashii (ADK, Ninja Master's, Ninja Combat, Ninja Commando, and TSS) (J)
Sunsoft Collection (Galaxy Fight and Waku-Waku 7) (J)
Shin Gouketsuji Ichizoku: Bonnou Kaihou (Power Instinct Matrimelee upgrade) (J)
Crimson Tears
Haunting Ground
God Hand (J)
Okami (Greatest Hits- The red stripe of shame returns!)
Viewtiful Joe (Dante and Trish from DMC!)
Viewtiful Joe 2
Street Fighter EX3 (J)
Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition (J)
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight For The Future (J)
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (Hyper SFII and 3rd Strike)
Street Fighter Zero: Fighters' Generation / Street Fighter Alpha Anthology (SFA1-3) (J)
Onimusha (J)
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
Onimusha 3: Demon Siege
Onimusha Blade Warriors
Onimusha: Dawn Of Dreams (J)
Vampire: Darkstalkers Collection (J)
Capcom Vs. SNk 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001 (Best Collection) J)
Capcom Fighting Evolution
Devil May Cry (J)
Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition (J)

Sengoku Basara 2 (J)
Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (J)
Sengoku Basara X (2D fighting game by Arc System Works) (J)
JoJo No Kimyou No Bouken: Ougon No Kaze /GioGio's Bizzare Adventure Golden Whirlwind (J)
Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi: Gekitou! Ragnarok Hachikengou / History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (J)
Resident Evil 4 (Japanese region, but in English!) (J)
Fate: Unlimited Codes LE (J)
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight For The Future: The Limited Edition (J)

The contents of the two limited edition games I have, both from Capcom. Fate Unlimited Codes comes with a Saber White Figma action figure. 3rd Strike contains the game (the other version shown in another picture is another copy of the game), a special DVD, puzzle, and guide book/mook.

AkIRA_22

For me, the best game n the system is impossible to split between

images

and;

images

Close to 300 hours on the two of them, the amount of times I've replayed MGS3 is insane... 9. GTA:VC just nailed the genre, tight story and great mechanics with out being too huge (GTA:SA just had too much going on). The radio was perfect.... literally, it can't get better than that. GTA:SA and GTAIV didn't come close.

AkzX1EN.jpg

images

NFS:U was that for me. A bunch of mates and I while doing training in the Aussie Navy would play this all night. It won't be looked back as the greatest racing game, but holds a special place.

AkIRA_22

Honourable mentions;

Katamari
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy XII
MGS2
God Of War 1&2
Jak 3
Burnout
Devil May Cry
Black

Lyte Edge

Great system with tons of great games, but the loading times and graphics were usually outdone on the Gamecube and Xbox.

Sure (well, more on the Xbox part anyway), but then support for those consoles dried up and the PS2 continued to get support for several more years. Sony has a good track record of keeping their hardware supported longer than their competition.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
AkzX1EN.jpg

One of the best arcade racers ever made imo. I still love that game.

The best thing about the PS2 is how there's still high quality exclusives I have yet to play on the system despite powering through the system for about four or five years.

I haven't even touched the Kingdom Hearts series, and I have Ace Combat series to finish.

I always wanted to try the Shadow of Hearts series out but that wheel spinner seem'd like it'd be very annoying after a while. I would hate that everytime I do a move that spinner would come up. The game looks amazing and the fighting look very RPG-ish but that wheel just draws me off completely.

Does it get unbearable later in the game, or is it nothing to worry about? Also is it a huge factor in battles?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Absolutely loved the PS2. Despite a pretty mediocre first year overall (I imported a system in April 2000 and am counting the time from that period onward), the system ended up becoming my favorite console of the previous generation. I've owned multiple systems over the years, and right now just have a black PS2 slim with a mod chip for imports.

Here is my humble collection of games:

BEST PS2-COLLECTION EVER

Now why is this thread still stuck on page 2? I guess this awesome post almost killed the thread. We realized hos much great stuff we still have to buy.

Anyways, I was going to buy the Castlevania-games. Is Curse better on Xbox? I guess they arent that good, but I'm just a sucker for Castlevania, so I cant help myself :)

Fox Mulder

Great system with tons of great games, but the loading times and graphics were usually outdone on the Gamecube and Xbox.

You can put a hdd in the ps2 and run games off it.

I want to build a ps2 library, but I'm still in snes, ps1, gamecube collection mode. Just got a dreamcast again and want a tg16 too.

Teknoman

You can put a hdd in the ps2 and run games off it.

I want to build a ps2 library, but I'm still in snes, ps1, gamecube collection mode. Just got a dreamcast again and want a tg16 too.

I'd say get a PC engine DUO from PCenginefx.com sellers (recapped and all that to prevent failure) if you're going for TurboGraphx games. Most JP versions are cheaper and CDs are all region free. You'd only be missing out on Neutopia 1 and 2 if you dont get your system modded for North American release cards.

Now why is this thread still stuck on page 2? I guess this awesome post almost killed the thread. We realized hos much great stuff we still have to buy.

Anyways, I was going to buy the Castlevania-games. Is Curse better on Xbox? I guess they arent that good, but I'm just a sucker for Castlevania, so I cant help myself :)

People need to start posting more hidden gems, games that are worth insane amounts of money (or at least more than usual), and other rare stuff :p

Do you collector types ever sell games? I remember buying Futurama on clearance at a Circuit City for $5. It's worth like 10x that now, and while I don't like selling games, I have no problem parting with the shit ones, lol.

Teknoman

Do you collector types ever sell games? I remember buying Futurama on clearance at a Circuit City for $5. It's worth like 10x that now, and while I don't like selling games, I have no problem parting with the shit ones, lol.

If one day I realize that im just not having fun with it/its worth much more money and I know I can find a second copy for cheap, sure.

Post PS2 was as if the Japanese industry fell off a cliff. And they still haven't landed yet. If the industry/a platform could reach even half of its former glory we would be truly lucky.

oH2Ydoj.jpg

Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (J)
Sengoku Basara X (2D fighting game by Arc System Works) (J)
JoJo No Kimyou No Bouken: Ougon No Kaze /GioGio's Bizzare Adventure Golden Whirlwind (J)
Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi: Gekitou! Ragnarok Hachikengou / History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (J)
Resident Evil 4 (Japanese region, but in English!) (J)
Fate: Unlimited Codes LE
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight For The Future: The Limited Edition (J)

The contents of the two limited edition games I have, both from Capcom. Fate Unlimited Codes comes with a Saber White Figma action figure. 3rd Strike contains the game (the other version shown in another picture is another copy of the game), a special DVD, puzzle, and guide book/mook.

I'm so jealous that you have that Kenichi game. I always wanted it because it looked like a pretty good anime fighting game, but it costed way to much to import. Would love to hear if you enjoyed it.

Just started playing Metal Saga.

220px-Metal_Saga.jpeg

This game is huge! How did a Post-Apocalyptic non-linear JRPG where you pilot Tanks and have Dogs with Canons strapped to there back completely fly under my Radar like this!?

This thread has actually made me a feel a little sad as my PS2 appears to be on it's last legs. Some games have started taking forever on loading screens and others run choppy even though they run fine on other systems. I know it's stupid to get emotional over a video game console since they can be replaced so easily, but it's the same launch fat model that I got when I was only ten years old. I think I might just go buy a slim model and keep the fat model somewhere. There's just so many memories I have from playing on it, that I couldn't bear to see it die.

Teknoman

This thread has actually made me a feel a little sad as my PS2 appears to be on it's last legs. Some games have started taking forever on loading screens and others run choppy even though they run fine on other systems. I know it's stupid to get emotional over a video game console since they can be replaced so easily, but it's the same launch fat model that I got when I was only ten years old. I think I might just go buy a slim model and keep the fat model somewhere. There's just so many memories I have from playing on it, that I couldn't bear to see it die.

We all know that feel. Seriously.

Just started playing Metal Saga.

220px-Metal_Saga.jpeg

This game is huge! How did a Post-Apocalyptic non-linear JRPG where you pilot Tanks and have Dogs with Canons strapped to there back completely fly under my Radar like this!?

How is the battle system/ soundtrack?

Dereck

The USB Loader for the PS2 is hilariously slow, not surprising. Out of curiosity I tried it. The only thing slow about it are the load times and sometimes the games would freeze while loading.

Top Bottom