• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Appreciation & Celebration Thread, long live the King!

play-station-2-logo82uwv.jpg

To express our love for the PS2!

People have been creating threads for lots of classic systems, PS2 can't be left without one! PS2 is the successor to the popular PS1 console, Sony's entry into the videogame console market. First released in 2000, 13 years later its still on the market, although there have been reports of its discontinuation, Sony reported shipments for their last fiscal year. The PS2 competed with the Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo Gamecube and the Xbox in the 6th generation. The PS2 was so popular, that some have been blaming its success caused the demise of the Dreamccast.

The PlayStation 2 is the best-selling video game console of all time, it will probably remain the most popular console ever. More than 1.5 billion games and 155 million systems have been sold to date.

PS2 versions

ps2-versionsbabuk.jpg

Colors I'm not sure we even got!

ps2_color_1qmxqz.jpg

PS2 8MB memory cards

ps2memorycardxezvr.jpg

PS2 specifications:

64bit CPU Emotion Engine 294MHz old models, 299MHz new models
32MB system memory
Graphics Synthesizer GPU clocked at 147MHz, 4MB video memory
Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS (single precision)

The PSX which was only released in Japan, was a dvr. The XMB originated from this machine.
Sony-PSX.jpg

Enough of the history lesson, lets talk games! The PS2 has the largest library of games of all time. Most of us are already acquainted with the big mainstream PS2 games, I wanted to focus on the lesser known, hidden gems. Ofcourse this isn't entirely about them, so post whatever that defined the system for you!

tumblr_mi2ou82QHn1rvvt0qo1_500.gif

(Did you know the towers represent the amount of games you've played?)

Hidden gems, game recommendations

Godhand

godhandidzxp.jpg

Mark of Kri

themarkofkri.20exop.jpeg

Fantavision

fantavision_790screenjczux.jpg
8583n7xzq.jpg

Shadow Hearts series

shadow-hearts-covenantnxmp.jpg
shadowhearts09xlayi.png

Gitaroo Man

21620qyex.jpg
gitarooman--vsmojokin0flp4.jpg

Whiplash

whiplashps2_002-largeoxyj8.jpg

Psi-Ops

psi-ops-the-mindgate-58ldo.jpg

Haven

Haven_Call_of_the_King.jpg

SMT Nocturne/Lucifers Call
shin_megami_tensei_iivszd3.jpg
shin-megami-tensei-nobsx5f.jpg

Grimgrimoire

ss-006mdzs6.jpg

Kuri Kuri Mix

kuri-kuri-mix.jpg

Primal

Primal_NTCS_cover.JPG
ps2spiel_primalscr08xs7.jpg

Nanobreaker (like DMC)

Nano_Breaker_Coverart.png
nano-breaker.1002178.jpg

FAQ
Is PS2 backwards compatible with PS1 games?
Yes

Do PS1 memory cards work on PS2?
Yes

I have PS2 games but traded in my console, can I play them on my PS3 or future PS4?
No, but you can buy them again from the PSN!

How is PS2 emulation?
Go here for tips and game configurations
PS2 emulation thread

Updating thread, feedback welcome! fixing the images

Cool thread. I have a hard time deciding what my favorite system of all time really is. It's kind of a toss up between the PS2 and DC. What a cool era for games.

braves01

Banned
PS2 + DS =

tumblr_mc3p1mAcCa1rjpxgso1_500.gif

Really though that whole era was good. I remember Madden 2001 in particular dropped my jaw for the first time since SM 64.

I still remember opening up my PS2. I was the first person to pay for it in advance at my local game store. I remember people camping out at night to pick up this gem; not I though. Picked it up in the morning, and then headed to class (was in 11th grade.) SSX blew me away at the time. Nothing but fond memories.

I think Kingdom Hearts should be on that recommendations list. A lot of people skipped over it because of the Disney themes but that didn't hurt the game in the slightest. (FYI I am not the biggest fan of Disney)

And yes the console is a juggernaut. Although OP the console sits at 155.1 million PLUS FY2012 so for all we know last FY PS2 sold 2 million units and now it sits at 157 million. So it would be best to update it by saying its sold either 155.1 million + FY2012 sales or 155.1 million+.

Just saying ;P.

As long as Konami continue to ignore bemani fans crying for new IIDX/Pop'n for consoles, I'll continue to have my faithful ps2 plugged in. I still use it for my annual playthrough of Shining Force Exa

reson8or

I have been on a SERIOUS PS2 game buying binge as of late.

Recent pick-ups include:

Blood Will Tell:Tezuka Osamu's Dororo (which I humbly nominate for the OP hidden gems section).
Shadow Tower Abyss (amazing, amazing game)
ESPGaluda
Ibara
and too many RPG's to count, let alone play.

Also recently picked up a Logitech Wireless Controller to try to reduce my cable clutter, its pretty great.

PS2 will remain one of my "primary systems" so long as I play games.

EDIT: Heres a pic of my recent setup renovation

8723923934_708c93010d.jpg

Arguably the greatest library of games known to man. PS3 wishes it could have reached its level.

You mean PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii put together wish they could have reached its level :-( And of course GCN and Xbox both had incredible games too. And let's not forget the DC. Greatest generation of games ever, by far. As for hidden gems...a hidden gem was released every fucking week for the PS2 :-( A.C.E., the WOTS games, Drakan 2, the Everblue games, Amplitude/Frequency, Grandia Extreme (and 3) for the awesome combat stuff, the Gungrave shooters, the Neverland Shining Forces, R.A.D. etc. Too much awesome stuff.

Whatever one considers the worst system of the generation, it'll still be better than the best of the current one :-/

Best console ever IMO. Lets also talk some imports. There were some fantastic Japan only titles that never made it.

I feel that last generation gaming has peaked.

ascii42

I own over 180 games for the thing. I'm still on my original fat PS2 from 2001, but last week I bought a new slim from Wal-mart, just in case. So the PS2 has sold at least one unit in the US in 2013.

Aeana

Lots and lots of great PS2 games. I was organizing my stuff recently and it hit me again how many great things came out for it. I have a hard time declaring its library the absolute best, because other consoles (NES, SNES, PSX) had great ones too, but fortunately it doesn't have to be a contest.

ChrisRT

Primal Image
Fantavision
Gran Turismo 3
Ace Combat 4
Xenosaga series
and so much more.
There where plenty more colors and editions of the system and accessories available too.

Philia

Man, give me a couple of weeks and I'll have my own ps2 backlog marathon to participate in this thread. :D

Still working on the 3 ps1 games I got.

This is my backlog so far. Majority of these haven't been played, so its possible its shorter due to initial disappointing brush offs.

Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia
Ar tonelico 2: Melody of Metafalica
Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny
Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Dark Cloud 2
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Grandia III
Growlanser: Heritage of War
Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis
Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy
Metal Saga
Radiata Stories
Rogue Galaxy
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Shadow Hearts: From the New World
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha versus King Abaddon
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
Shining Force EXA
Suikoden III
Suikoden IV
Suikoden Tactics
Suikoden V
Tales of Legendia
Tales of the Abyss
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Wild ARMs 3
Wild ARMs 4
Wild ARMs 5
Wild ARMs Alter Code: F

Funny this thread goes up when I'm thinking of getting a slim(don't trust my PS3 60GB) to play through my PS2 backlog/games on my radar.

Strike

Of all time! Amazing library. Complete and utter domination the likes of which you will never see again. So many good memories. So many hidden gems. Still own my original Fat PS2 and pop in Burnout 3 very now and then. Also, everyone knows the big ones and the majority have been re-released in HD Collections or as PS2 classics so here are my personal recommendations.

Myriadis

Love to see The Mark of Kri covered.

Do you know about the Maximo games? I consider them some of the best unknown games ever created.

Oh man. The PS2. Got one the same month it launched when I was still in elementary school. Loved it so much and will always be my favorite console of all time.

Despite the materials and effort needed, I can happily recommend installing a hard drive into a fat PS2 and playing games off of it. There isn't much modern info about the process on the web though.

Now that I have time on my hands, I'll work on some sort of how-to for anyone interested.

Of all time! Amazing library. Complete and utter domination the likes of which you will never see again. So many good memories. So many hidden gems. Still own my original Fat PS2 and pop in Burnout 3 very now and then. Also, everyone knows the big ones and the majority have been re-released in HD Collections or as PS2 classics so here are my personal recommendations.

Yep. Utter domination of consoles that also happened to have games like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi, Skies of Arcadia, F-Zero GX or Kururin Squash. The entire generation was incredible and still nothing compared to the PS2 library.

The PS2/GC/Xbox era was pretty much the 16bit era of 3D games. I loved how every game played differently from one another, compared to today, where most games share a similar control layout. Games were more unpredictable than.

PS2 will be the high tide of console and core gaming popularity among the masses until something like a fully developed and affordable VR system that blows away the general public.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Nice OP. PS2 kicks ass. It's definitely in my top 3 systems of all time. I do not regret the decision to buy a couple of slims (one US and one JP), because there are just so many good games on this thing, both here and overseas.

God do I miss last gen.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ok did anyone ever play the game Mr. Mosquito? I saw it in EB Games and Gamestop many years ago and always wanted to get it but didn't because I was afraid someone would call me a perv lol.

Still rockin the horizontal stand! So many bad launch games but Ridge V was good...

fake edit: I did pre-emptively sell my launch PS2 years ago when the 50001 PS2fat came out (I think that was the last model pre-slim?) but it has worked flawlessly since. Still have the FFXI HDD even

I don't think I've ever wanted a console more at launch than a PS2. I remember it being a nightmare, but oh so worth it. Silent Hill 2 as a teen has to be one of my top gaming adventures.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
actually busted out my ps2 today. Played some Jak & Daxter. Got up to the part where you need 45 power cells to get to the rock throwing boss. Pretty fun game still. I was slightly annoyed I couldn't skip the videos and the camera is a bit of a hassle, but in general it holds up nice.

Cidd

PS2 will never be forgotten as the golden age of gaming.

I'm happy i was a part of that era from the start.

Taruranto

Still playing it to this day and probably will be for a long time, as a jrpg fan the library is basically infinite.

Tenrius

PS2 is awesome! I wish slim units were more reliable though. I bought MGS2: Substance the other day and my PS2 wouldn't read it. Seems it can't read dual layer DVDs anymore. Damn it.

canedaddy

Easily my favorite console of all time.... don't think it'll ever be topped. Some reasons:

GTA series
Dragon Quest VIII
God of War I and II
Dark Cloud series
Ico/Shadow of the Colossus
Okami
Katamari Damacy
Prince of Persia Trilogy
Yakuza 1 and 2
Ape Escape series
Beyond Good & Evil
Ratchet