• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

Lime

Some more:

pcsx22012-02-2316-50-j5xj3.png

pcsx22012-02-2317-45-sra3x.png

pcsx22012-02-2317-39-9wz82.png

pcsx22012-02-2316-11-0sx5o.png

RPGCrazied

I'm playing through Dragon Quest 8, 2x scaling. Loving the higher resolution and no screen tearing. Though the text and menu artifacts is annoying. Many games have this issue scaling the game beyond native. It was kinda laggy on the world map, but with the new MTVU option ON, its playable.

Loving it.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
Would anyone be kind enough to take some Dragon Quest 8 screenshots at 960 x 544, 960 x 540, or 1280 x 720 with 2xAA/AF?

Mostly to get an idea of what the game would look like if Square Enix decided to make an HD remaster for PS3/Vita in the same manner as FFX.

I'd really appreciate it.

Tampinha

I've been trying to play Snake Eater lately, the games runs perfectly but there's one problem: is there anyway to use the DS3's pressure buttons on PCSX2? Not being able to fully use the CQC is a major bummer.

epmode

I've been trying to play Snake Eater lately, the games runs perfectly but there's one problem: is there anyway to use the DS3's pressure buttons on PCSX2? Not being able to fully use the CQC is a major bummer.
You'd have to tweak your controller driver so that each button shows up as a separate analog control before PCSX2 will be able to recognize it. I don't think such a tweak is possible with MotioninJoy so you're probably out of luck. The HD collection is the best way to go for MGS2 and 3.

Hellix

Anyone have experience emulating Everblue 2? The seafloor glitches, and I been playing with all kinds of settings to fix it.

6wsc5.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
This thread makes me wish that brand new games at "PS2-level graphics" were made. It seems like it would be cheaper to create and they could have them run in HD and 60fps.

I can just imagine a new game in 2012 with the scale and grandness of FFXII but at at least 720p and 60fps. I'm sure publishers wouldn't want to take the risk, but I'd buy it.

ChryZ

Maximo - Ghosts to Glory

- PCSX2 0.9.9 R5108, i5-760@3520MHz, GTX460@715MHz, 1920x1200
- Preset 3 Balanced as basis, unchecked preset and added MTVU
- GSdx 5016 SSE41: D3D11, Bob tff, 4x, Texture filtering, Allow 8-bit textures, rest default
- SPU2-X all default
- FXAA enabled

Runs flawless.

FreeMufasa

This looks better than the current gen tales games to me.

Dragon Quest 8 begs for an HD release. Wow. It's like it was made with HD in mind.

This thread makes me wish that brand new games at "PS2-level graphics" were made. It seems like it would be cheaper to create and they could have them run in HD and 60fps.

I can just imagine a new game in 2012 with the scale and grandness of FFXII but at at least 720p and 60fps. I'm sure publishers wouldn't want to take the risk, but I'd buy it.

Yep, i've had this thought too. I also had hoped the Wii would have been an extension of last gen but that didn't happen.

I just hope we get what you said with next gen consoles but i've got a feeling devs are going to push their balls again.

Suairyu

Banned
You'll get that sort of stuff in the first year of the new consoles. Before the graphics bar gets raised too high, you see devs using the extra horsepower to raise resolution and framerate. If you take a look at the launch window 360 games, they run so smoothly and have really great IQ. They had that "made for the original XBOX, just with the numbers turned up" mentality about them. It was great.

Prozel

Just completed FFX yesterday, and I'm all on X-2. Goddamn, PCSX2 is AMAZING. I'm so tempted to order XII too now!

Erebus

So I'm willing to give PCSX2 a go in order to play Silent Hill 2 on PC. Has anyone tried to complete SH2 on the emulator? Is it fully playable?

neoemonk

So I'm willing to give PCSX2 a go in order to play Silent Hill 2 on PC. Has anyone tried to complete SH2 on the emulator? Is it fully playable?

I did a few months ago. There's a minor issue with the FMV in it. I want to say that you have to switch from hardware to software rendering to make them look right (or maybe vice versa). I don't remember exactly, but it's just a quick press of a hotkey to toggle between the modes for the brief duration of the movie. I played start to finish just fine.

If anyone has any ideas on Persona 4 I'd love to hear them. I get some slowdown quite frequently (and seemingly randomly) in that game. Not enough to make me not play it though.

Dwayne

Maximo - Ghosts to Glory

- PCSX2 0.9.9 R5108, i5-760@3520MHz, GTX460@715MHz, 1920x1200
- Preset 3 Balanced as basis, unchecked preset and added MTVU
- GSdx 5016 SSE41: D3D11, Bob tff, 4x, Texture filtering, Allow 8-bit textures, rest default
- SPU2-X all default
- FXAA enabled

Runs flawless.
Your links are all bad.

Just completed FFX yesterday, and I'm all on X-2. Goddamn, PCSX2 is AMAZING. I'm so tempted to order XII too now!
I will also state that XII is wonderful on PCSX2. It looks fabulous. :)

Speaking of Final Fantasy X. When I first tried it there was a weird 'fuzz' around the characters during story scenes etc. It was like a transparent outline around their faces which was skin coloured etc. I never really looked in to it as I wanted to play XII but I was wondering if there was a way to fix it?

Sorry, I'm not terribly sure how to explain it. I might try to find an example.

Erebus

I did a few months ago. There's a minor issue with the FMV in it. I want to say that you have to switch from hardware to software rendering to make them look right (or maybe vice versa). I don't remember exactly, but it's just a quick press of a hotkey to toggle between the modes for the brief duration of the movie. I played start to finish just fine.

If anyone has any ideas on Persona 4 I'd love to hear them. I get some slowdown quite frequently (and seemingly randomly) in that game. Not enough to make me not play it though.
Seems like you were right. The FMVs are really messed up. Other than that, the game seems to run flawlessly so far and looks better than I expected.

pcsx22012-03-1300-30-80xxx.png

pcsx22012-03-1300-30-a4xac.png

As for the FMVs I guess I could do the switch you suggested every time, though it breaks immersion and even worse causes PCSX2 to crash from time to time.

Wildesy

God damn, DQ8 is gorgeous. This thread is really making me remember how much of a beast the PS2 really was.

Agree 100%. Hopefully the Wii U provides an appealing enough platform to do such a thing. The demand by gamers for graphical superiority is killing a lot of good developers and a lot of good genres. JRPGs have essentially abandoned home consoles because of the graphical requirement.

Prozel

I will also state that XII is wonderful on PCSX2. It looks fabulous. :)

Speaking of Final Fantasy X. When I first tried it there was a weird 'fuzz' around the characters during story scenes etc. It was like a transparent outline around their faces which was skin coloured etc. I never really looked in to it as I wanted to play XII but I was wondering if there was a way to fix it?

Sorry, I'm not terribly sure how to explain it. I might try to find an example.

Hmm, can't remember such thing happened but I could be wrong. Though I'm pretty it wasn't the case. And yeah, just got XII today, never thought I would get it!

Dascu

Try switching around DX9 or DX10.

Elios83

I've decided to try this emulator a few days ago since I now have a powerful notebook.
I'm quite amazed by the results, I'm playing FFXII, FFX, Dragon Quest 8, Okami and ZOE nearly flawlessly at 1280*720, 1600*900 and even 1920*1080 depending on the game, all PAL versions of the games.
Also it seems that most of the (minor) issues are due to sound emulation and not to graphics as one would expect.
For most games I've found that the combination of the waveout plugin+ 50ms latency+ async mix gives me the best results.
Is it available a better sound plugin which give perfect results for the above mentioned games?

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Tried pcsx2 yesterday with Front Mission 5 thanks to this thread, but was unable to get it to run at 60fps. I didn't go beyond the intro video, so maybe it just affects the FMV? Either way, I was wondering if this slowdown is a because of my CPU or if it is because of my video card.

CPU: Core2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16 GHz
GPU: Radeon 4800 HD

This looks better than the current gen tales games to me.

Yep, i've had this thought too. I also had hoped the Wii would have been an extension of last gen but that didn't happen.

I just hope we get what you said with next gen consoles but i've got a feeling devs are going to push their balls again.

Any specific specs for DQVIII? I think I'm going to go back to it since the wifey is taking over the TV.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Tried pcsx2 yesterday with Front Mission 5 thanks to this thread, but was unable to get it to run at 60fps. I didn't go beyond the intro video, so maybe it just affects the FMV? Either way, I was wondering if this slowdown is a because of my CPU or if it is because of my video card.

CPU: Core2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16 GHz
GPU: Radeon 4800 HD

Tried on a different pc with 2x 9500GT and AMD XII cpu...running at 60fps now

Hey guys, pretty soon I'm planning on picking this up. However, I have some questions first:

Has anyone tried running Berserk: Millennium Falcon Arc ~Chapter of the Holy Demon War~ on this? How well does it run? Can it even be run because its Japanese only?

Would I have to dump a Japanese PS2's BIOS in order to play it?

Thanks guys!

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, pretty soon I'm planning on picking this up. However, I have some questions first:

Has anyone tried running Berserk: Millennium Falcon Arc ~Chapter of the Holy Demon War~ on this? How well does it run? Can it even be run because its Japanese only?

Would I have to dump a Japanese PS2's BIOS in order to play it?

Thanks guys!

Haven't run that particular game, but to answer your second question... You can run any region game, regardless of what BIOS you use.

Mr YuYu

I need advice!
I have around 40 awesome games for the ps2 whom i have not played yet. I got a ps3 with BC but i fear it might die soon. Is pscx2 a worthwhile alternative? Or is it a hassle to get a game running?
The emulator idea seems great but i see al these configs i feel intimidated. Fact is, i would just like to play my games without putting to much effort into it.(but still play them the best way possible)

Would a ps2 be a better alternative for me? Even though the gfx suck on a hd screen? Isaw a new ps2 for 90 euro. Buy or no buy? To pscx2 or not? Problems problems problems!!!!! Are the gfx for ps2 on hd really that bad?

Thx for the advice!

Typed on ipod so sorry for any typos.

I tried playing Silent Hill 2 on PCSX2 yesterday, and everything was going smoothly, but after a while I had a weird issue where the image sort of started shifting over to the right until it wrapped back around to the left part of the monitor (I have a 16:10 monitor and I was playing in 4:3 with black bars on the side). So I exited the emulator, but the same thing happened to my desktop and also the screen was flickering a bit. So I restarted my computer and everything seemed fine. Then earlier today I downloaded the Silent Hill 3 PC demo and played for only a few minutes before the entire screen became engulfed in static and I had to shut off my computer manually. Once again I restarted my computer and everything seems fine, I even played some games in Dolphin for a bit without any issues, but this still has me really worried. Did this emulator kill my monitor? Or does my computer just not like Silent Hill?

I need advice!
I have around 40 awesome games for the ps2 whom i have not played yet. I got a ps3 with BC but i fear it might die soon. Is pscx2 a worthwhile alternative? Or is it a hassle to get a game running?
The emulator idea seems great but i see al these configs i feel intimidated. Fact is, i would just like to play my games without putting to much effort into it.(but still play them the best way possible)

Would a ps2 be a better alternative for me? Even though the gfx suck on a hd screen? Isaw a new ps2 for 90 euro. Buy or no buy? To pscx2 or not? Problems problems problems!!!!! Are the gfx for ps2 on hd really that bad?

Thx for the advice!

Typed on ipod so sorry for any typos.

Depends on your pc... If you decently clocked i5 and along with any mid-range gpu from the past 2 years, I'd say PCSX2 is a worthwhile replacement. Aside from changing the native resolution and setting the sound to be the best quality, I've not had to change many of the default settings. I don't think my computer's that beastly either aside from the ram.

Specs:
Core i5 2500k Clocked at 3.6 Ghz
NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti w/ 1GB VRAM
16 GB RAM ( I forgot the specific speed of the ram )

That should be all the relevant bits.

pQqOS.jpg

Game Info and Performance

Title (Region): Chulip (NTSC)
Summary: Completely playable with default settings, IQ can be greatly improved with D3D up-scaling and HW AA. Using HW Hacks font can be improve.
Completion: Opening
Default FPS: 60
Frame drops from fullspeed: None so far.
Widescreen option available in game: No
Issues: None so far.

Build and Plugins Used

Build: SVN r5128 (link)
Graphics: GSdx 5133 AVX
Sound: SPU2-X

Emulation Settings

EE/IOP: default
VUs: default
GS: Framelimiter - disabled, Frameskipping - disabled, Use Synchronized MTGS - no, Disable all GS output - no
GS Window: Aspect Ratio - Widescreen (4:3) - Custom Window Size - 976x690, Disable window resize border - no, Always hide mouse cursor - no, Hide window on suspend - yes, Default to fullscreen mode on open - yes, Double-click toggles fullscreen mode - yes, Wait for vsync on refresh - no
Speed Hacks: none
Game Fixes: none

Graphics Plugin Settings

Renderer: Direct3D11 (Hardware)
Interlacing: bob tff
D3D Upscaling: D3D internal res - n/a, Scaling - 6x, Native resolution - no
Hardware Mode Settings: Texture Filtering - yes, Allow 8-bit textures - yes, Logarithmic Z - n/a, Alpha Correction (FBA) - n/a
HW Hacks: HW Anti Aliasing - 0-2x, Skipdraw - no, Alpha - no, Half-pixel - no, Sprite - no, WildArmsOffset - yes/checked

NOTE: HW AA made very little difference only tried 2x.

Sound Plugin Settings

Mixing Settings: Interpolation - Catmull-Rom, Disable Effects Processing - no, Use the de-alias filter - no
Output Settings: Module - XAudio 2, Latency - 150 ms, Synchronizing Mode - TimeStretch, Audio Expansion Mode - Stereo
Enable Debug Options: no
Use a Winamp DSP Plugin: no

Computer Specs

CPU: i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6950 (1GB)
RAM: 4GB

Screenshots/Video
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-glkat.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-1ljk9.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-ztkn4.jpg

PjwKS.png

Title (Region): Dark Cloud 2 (NTSC)
Summary: Must use turbo frameskipping or framerate will become unstable, IQ can be greatly improved with D3D up-scaling and HW AA. Using HW Hacks font can be improve.
Frame drops from fullspeed: Without using Turbo frame skipping framerate is unstable.
Issues:
-Turbo frameskipping allow for a stable framerate but causes its own set of problems. To fix these problems keep pressing tab in-till the game looks normal.

Build and Plugins Used

Emulation Settings

GS: Framelimiter - disabled/Set turbo percentage to 100%, Frameskipping -Skip when on Turbo only (TAB to enable), Use Synchronized MTGS - no, Disable all GS output - no
GS Window: Aspect Ratio - Widescreen (4:3) - Custom Window Size - 976x690, Disable window resize border - no, Always hide mouse cursor - no, Hide window on suspend - yes, Default to fullscreen mode on open - yes, Double-click toggles fullscreen mode - yes, Wait for vsync on refresh - no

Note: Turbo frameskipping settings: pic

Graphics Plugin Settings

Interlacing: Blend bff
D3D Upscaling: D3D internal res - n/a, Scaling - 3x, Native resolution - no
Hardware Mode Settings: Texture Filtering - yes, Allow 8-bit textures - yes, Logarithmic Z - n/a, Alpha Correction (FBA) - n/a
HW Hacks: HW Anti Aliasing - 0-2x, Skipdraw Hack - no, Alpha - no, Half-pixel - no, Sprite - no, WildArmsOffset - yes/checked

Sound Plugin Settings

Mixing Settings: Interpolation - Catmull-Rom, Disable Effects Processing - no, Use the de-alias filter - no
Output Settings: Module - XAudio 2, Latency - 150 ms, Synchronizing Mode - TimeStretch, Audio Expansion Mode - Stereo

Computer Specs

Screenshots/Video
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-p4kti.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-yrj2q.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-iajb3.jpg

zFZp0.png

Title (Region): Dragon Quest VIII (NTSC)
Summary: Can only use custom scaling HWAA improves IQ, the #x scaling causes framerate problems. HW hacks improve font.
Widescreen option available in game: Yes

Build and Plugins Used

Emulation Settings

GS: Framelimiter - disabled, Frameskipping -disabled, Use Synchronized MTGS - no, Disable all GS output - no
GS Window: Aspect Ratio - Widescreen (16:9) - Custom Window Size - 976x690, Disable window resize border - no, Always hide mouse cursor - no, Hide window on suspend - yes, Default to fullscreen mode on open - yes, Double-click toggles fullscreen mode - yes, Wait for vsync on refresh - no

Graphics Plugin Settings

Interlacing: None
D3D Upscaling: D3D internal res - 1920x1080, Scaling - n/a, Native resolution - no
HW Hacks: HW Anti Aliasing - 0-2x, Skipdraw Hack - no, Alpha - no, Half-pixel - no, Sprite - no, WildArmsOffset - yes/checked

Note: Font for battles and on some menus still have line but dialogue font is fixed.

Sound Plugin Settings

Computer Specs

Screenshots/Video
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-kgkor.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-gqjc4.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-42jdq.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-cjkop.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-hfjz4.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-6ikmu.jpg

Yktfl.png

Title (Region): Fatal Frame (NTSC)
Summary: IQ can be greatly improved with D3D up-scaling and HW AA.
Completion: Intro/about 75% done with first act/part
Frame drops from fullspeed: When a ghost attacks the character the framerate takes a hit.
Issues:
- Ran into a glitch right after the camera tutorial in the first act the camera would not intiate a context command to continue. I switch to software mode and back to hardware mode and it fix the glitch.(Could be a random glitch)
- Using the #x resolution causes a framerate glitch where when a ghost is on screen the framerate will drop down to 30 fps. Using a custom resolution helps

Build and Plugins Used

Emulation Settings

GS: Framelimiter - disabled, Frameskipping - disabled, Use Synchronized MTGS - no, Disable all GS output - no
GS Window: Aspect Ratio - standard (4:3) - Custom Window Size - 976x690, Disable window resize border - no, Always hide mouse cursor - no, Hide window on suspend - yes, Default to fullscreen mode on open - yes, Double-click toggles fullscreen mode - yes, Wait for vsync on refresh - no

Graphics Plugin Settings

Interlacing: Bob tff
D3D Upscaling: D3D internal res - 1920x1080, Scaling - n/a, Native resolution - no
HW Hacks: HW Anti Aliasing - 0-2x, Skipdraw - no, Alpha - no, Half-pixel - no, Sprite - no, WildArmsOffset - no

Sound Plugin Settings

Computer Specs

Screenshots/Video
pcsx2-r5128_2012_03_2o4abm.jpg
pcsx2-r5128_2012_03_22llht.jpg
pcsx2-r5128_2012_03_2gcadc.jpg

Dxqs3.png

Title (Region): Fatal Frame 2 (NTSC)
Summary: Completely playable with default settings, IQ can be greatly improved with D3D up-scaling.

Build and Plugins Used

Emulation Settings

GS Window: Aspect Ratio - Widescreen (16:9) - Custom Window Size - 976x690, Disable window resize border - no, Always hide mouse cursor - no, Hide window on suspend - yes, Default to fullscreen mode on open - yes, Double-click toggles fullscreen mode - yes, Wait for vsync on refresh - no

Graphics Plugin Settings

HW Hacks: HW Anti Aliasing - 0, Skipdraw - no, Alpha - no, Half-pixel - no, Sprite - no, WildArmsOffset - no

NOTE: HW AA causes graphical glitch.

Sound Plugin Settings

Computer Specs

Screenshots/Video
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-1vjbs.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-w3kp4.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-dzjcm.jpg

TUNY0.png

Title (Region): Fatal Frame 3 (NTSC)
Summary: SkipDraw must be set to 1 and must turn on progressive mode in-game or framerate will be unstable, IQ can be greatly improved with D3D up-scaling.

Build and Plugins Used

Emulation Settings

Graphics Plugin Settings

D3D Upscaling: D3D internal res - n/a, Scaling - 3x, Native resolution - no
HW Hacks: HW Anti Aliasing - 0, Skipdraw - no, Alpha - no, Half-pixel - no, Sprite - no, WildArmsOffset - no

NOTE: HW AA causes graphical glitch.

Sound Plugin Settings

Computer Specs

Screenshots/Video
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-48j3d.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-azked.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-gmjsq.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-sdk46.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-4rkty.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-ouk8o.jpg

9yDU6.jpg

Title (Region): Freedom Fighters (NTSC)
Summary: Completely playable with default settings, IQ can be greatly improved with D3D up-scaling and HW AA.
Frame drops from fullspeed: On the first level when you enter the street the framerate drops play so of the later level didn't experience and framerate drops
Issues:
-In cutscences framerate will drop at certain times.

Build and Plugins Used

Emulation Settings

Graphics Plugin Settings

NOTE: Looks good enough that it doesn't need AA

Sound Plugin Settings

Computer Specs

Screenshots/Video
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-duk2f.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-7lk21.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-sqjno.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-aek6a.jpg
pcsx2-r5128.exe_2012-uzkuh.jpg