• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 games you remember very fondly but everybody else forgot

PS2-OZ.jpg

For anyone else who thinks that art looks cool but doesn't reverse image search it, it is apparently The Sword of Etheria. I don't know anything else about it, but it seems cool?

200391-header.jpg

Metal Arms was criminally underappreciated back in the day and it played so well and I would've put it against any 3rd person action game at the time. WIth a modest budget, the game game had so much heart.

Fisty

Fuckin' shit. I DID forget about this one. I remember playing this demo quite a bit, too, may have even rented it back in the day. Was really just trying to kill time in between MGS2/3, though :p

True story: 17 year old me at gamestop, looking for a game, "damn that looks kinda like Raiden..." Promptly takes game to counter.

6 hours later: "holy shit this guy is more insane than Kojima"

m6LnvaV.jpg

It wasn't the greatest game, but you could cut off arms, legs, and heads, then pick those severed appendages to and use them as weapons. I played it a good deal back in the day.

For the saying The Getaway...I concur. That game was tough to play, but it had a few great ideas. I lack of an in game map requiring you to watch your cars turn signals was awesome. I wish the new GTA games would follow this practice, allowing you to have turn based directions without having to focus on a mini map.

MattXIII

250px-Residentevildeadaim.jpg

Probably one of my favorite side game/spin offs. Didn't care for the first two "Gun Survivor" games, but this one was really good. I like the third person/first person blend. Manages to still feel like RE.

Another game I had forgotten about - I remember playing through this with a combination of Dual Shock and Light Gun that worked really well. I must hunt a copy again.

Daft Punk

Banned
250px-Orphen_Scion_of_Sorcery.jpg

I remember taking turns with my cousins after each battle because we really liked the combat. I don't know if the game has aged well, but I have some very fond memories of it.

One of the very first PS2 games I beat as a kid in middle school. I loved it and the anime as well. :)

antitrop

Man, the game designer for this one has got to be one of the most pissed off folks in gaming. Practically created a genre, got cloned, got cloned a million more times, every clone is then called a clone of the first clone.

The lead designer of Kill.Switch actually left Namco to join Epic and work on Gears of War 1. I didn't know that myself until a few months ago.

After Gears, he went to BioWare to implement the cover system into Mass Effect.

So I think he's actually quite satisfied. http://www.giantbomb.com/chris-esaki/3040-28654/

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
latest

The only .hack game that I finished and still remember till today.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Gladiators + great combat and scoring system + gratuitous violence + pretty decent PS2 graphics

2-MeatSculpter.gif

Alas, the sequel turned into Dead Rising at the turn of the generation. Shadow of Rome is different enough though, and I think it deserves a comeback.

KillerAJD

Smugglers Run. It's sister game got remembered more (midnight club) but it's a shame this one didn't do as well.

God, Smuggler's Run 1 and 2 are fucking amazing games. I played it so much with my brother and cousin.

My pick would be Test Drive: Eve of Destruction. Also another game that I played a million hours of. Made by Monster Games (Excite Truck, Excite Bots, etc.), it is absolutely sublime. Now, I didn't play all of the other Test Drive games, but this might be the best one that nobody seemed to have played. Another Monster Games racer I love is NASCAR Dirt to Daytona, and I'm stoked to see what they do with the new NASCAR Heat game.
Me said:

Transformers:

I7W4JM1.png

Transformers game by Melbourne House. OUTSTANDING graphics, and huge levels with multiple approaches to tackle your targets. I was astonished by how sophisticated the gameplay was back then because I honestly didn't expect much. The boss fights were great and the difficulty was pretty fucking rough too. I remember this game really fondly because of how low my expectations were going in.

This is the game that I always return to. Currently playing through again with PCSX2. The huge open levels can be played any number of ways. Sadly, I think the license severely limited the market for this game, and stopped it getting the kind of recognition it deserved.

Spider-man 2 is awesome too, but definitely not forgotten, as it's still the yard stick by which all subsequent Spider-man games are judged, including the new Insomniac one.

Fisty

The lead designer of Kill.Switch actually left Namco to join Epic and work on Gears of War 1. I didn't know that myself until a few months ago.

So I think he's actually quite satisfied. http://www.giantbomb.com/chris-esaki/3040-28654/

Ah well then I stand corrected! Hes not one of the most underappreciated designers, hes one of the most appreciated. Good on him, he definitely knows his craft

JTripper

Gladiators + great combat and scoring system + gratuitous violence + pretty decent PS2 graphics

2-MeatSculpter.gif

Alas, the sequel turned into Dead Rising at the turn of the generation. Shadow of Rome is different enough though, and I think it deserves a comeback.

I was just about to post this but skimmed the page to see if anyone else mentioned it.

Shadow of Rome was awesome.

Ceadeus

roguegalaxy_ps2box_usa_org_000.jpg

Great graphics for its time and a very creative, unique, vibrant universe. We really don't get enough solid action JRPGs. Would love to see a sequel, which will probably never happen because Level 5 is too busy making Yokai Watch and anime soccer games.

Was my pick too

meanspartan

I mentioned it earlier, but there is a disturbing lack of Freedom Fighters love in here.

No wonder I.O. never made a sequel but made two fucking Kane and Lynches.

Systemfat_1291235565freedom%20fighters.jpg

All cover systems should be like The Last of Us, or Saint's Row 3. Just stand behind something and duck.

MogCakes

latest

The only .hack game that I finished and still remember till today.

u9Wi9A.gif

This game wanted to do way, way more then was possible on a PS2. I've been playing the PS4 edition of Gravity Rush and was actually thinking how it would be pretty cool to revisit SkyGunner with PS4's power. Game had beautiful art and vistas but it was a bit much to ask from PS2.

One of my top PS2 favs. I would often spend hours flying around the training maps.

Hard as balls too.

skygunner03.jpg

Banzai

Smugglers Run. It's sister game got remembered more (midnight club) but it's a shame this one didn't do as well.

I remember playing Smuggler's Run 2 and all my friends and I would do was pick the car that can drop bombs. When you drop the bomb and then wait on top of it at the exactly right angle, you would be blown really far into the sky. Like, it would take you several minutes to fall back down.
I think the game had a racing mode, too.

Got into recently Urban Reign. It's a 4 player arena brawler by Namco, so it has Tekken dna but more of a local party game. It's really fun.

I dug Shinobi. The tate kills were cool and the mobility was great, you just had to get used to the camera. I spent days trying to beat the last boss but never did sadly.

Metzhara

I loved these games.
RAD
813919-front_cover.jpg

Yanya Caballista
250px-Yanya_Caballista.jpg

Shadow of Destiny
shadow-of-destiny-cover538230.jpg

I picked all but RAD up on release day and fell for the games. Yanya had that little skateboard I wouldn't play without. Was broken hearted when my PS3 with software backwards didn't play it. I was floored.
RAD still has some amazing concept I love. A remake of this could be awesome if done right. So good.

SnakeEyes

Banned
I really, really want to play the .Hack games but they are incredibly expensive. Some individual parts are over $100.
I started buying not long before the second game was set to release. I picked the first one up cheap at the time, and then bought each one as they released afterwards. Still have them too, in pretty much mint condition with the accompanying .hack//Liminality OVA DVDs, and the first game is signed by 3 members of the English cast (Crispin Freeman, Michelle Ruff, and Steve Blum.)

Ledsen

I mentioned it earlier, but there is a disturbing lack of Freedom Fighters love in here.

No wonder I.O. never made a sequel but made two fucking Kane and Lynches.

Systemfat_1291235565freedom%20fighters.jpg

That game was so amazingly good. The team mechanics worked wonderfully and the shooting was tons of fun. A classic.

killatopak

Gold Member
250px-MSSagacover.jpg

Phenomenal jrpg with SD gundams and huge customability.

THIS IS GREAT.

I still want a gundam RPG. :(
lVdVLHe.jpg

Not totally forgotten, but it's not very memorable due to how average/bad it is. It had a unique/interesting style though and I have a kind of fondness for it due to how excited I was for it when it first came out.

I didn't know this was a sequel before I played it. I enjoyed this a lot. Maybe if this game had another title it would have done well.

Vex_

Banned
Oh my god I remember playing the demo for mr mosquito (first one) but forgot about it. I remember having so much fun. I wonder if i can find a copy somewhere? Flying around, and waiting till they werent looking before drinking their blood felt so naughty back then. It was a very satisying experience, sort of like katamari.

Metal arms: omg i loved that game. It reminds me of ratchet and clank:deadlocked. It did play well for its time. I neat it, but cant remember anything about it. I rented it back then from blockbuster.

Skygunner: yes! I remember playing that demo too! Was fun but never had enough money as a kid to get the full game. Maybe someday I will go back and play it.

The warriors: me and my bro loved anything coop. This was no exception. I believe this game had an arcade cabinet in it at the warriors' base? Or something like that.

Now time for me to contribute:

Once again, me and my bro loved us some coop. This game was a hell of a surprise. Fatalities were still there in their full glory. Only thing is, this was a beat em up. Complete with coop gameplay -- with coop moves (like tossing bad guys in an air combo to your partner before throwing him into spikes.lmfao!

Another chance to post this.

latest

Strategy game set in The Romance of 3 Kingdoms-era China, with an over dramatic story, quirky characters and historically accurate magical attacks like opening fissures in the ground and creating giant fire snakes.
Omg yes. The magic spells (the chanting sequences especially) were iconic.

The Kessen series was amazing ugh.

Vex_

Banned
Bet no one remembers this arena based fighter, huh?

Omfg it was so sick. Everyone had special moves! You could rip off lamp posts, climb buildings..throw gasoline trucks!!!!!!!!! it was like a versus 3d rampage. You were a huge monster of your choice!

What about this motherfucker here:

Eh? You guys remember that? This was the ssx of bike games. You race downhill after picking from unlocked characters, each with different strengths and personalities! I remember the sense of speed was great! The cover doesnt do it justice. The game has way more in common with ssx (arcade styled sport games) than anything else.

Actually why did they do the cover like that? That makes the game look like a sim game when it is all about defying gravity jumps and tricks, road rash like weapon system, race hazards (animals like deer could jump out of nowhere).... it was so cool.

For me it would probably be the Baroque remake. It's probably my favorite Rogue-like game.

A very good choice. Also showed up on the Wii, for anyone looking for it. The OST is fantastic.

Awesome seeing the Mr. Mosquito mentions. What a great game that was. I'd slaughter a sack of puppies for a new one.

GOOCHY

Never was I so excited to play a glorified tech demo.

250px-Fantavisionbox.jpg

Ugh. Just seeing the cover gives me the shivers. I worked for Electronics Boutique at the time that was released and, apparently, EB had ordered far too many copies of Fantavision. We had sales goals on that stupid game for months. Of course, nobody wanted it. Ugh!!

dl77

Also +1 to anyone saying The Warriors. I didn't bother with it when it was first released as I thought it was just going to be a double dragon type brawler. When I picked it up cheap I felt really bad not getting it when it was first out as it was a great game.

GoDLiKe

2277187-runabout3.jpg

I don't think I have known any person that knows this game
I only played the very first one which was released on Dreamcast. It was quite fun!

Super_Runabout-_San_Francisco_Edition_-_2000_-_Virgin_Games,_Ltd..jpg

My game would be Blood Will Tell. It was my favourite action/adventure game by that time and it's a great homage to Dororo, one of the best works made by Osamu Tezuka.

914717_front.jpg

Cheddahz

Banned
FvjsiSN.png

Steambot Chronicles

I really wish whoever holds the rights to Agetec's PS2 releases would get them into PS2 on PS4.

A charming game, though it kinda falls apart in the second half, the first half of the game is an absolute blast to play. Weird control scheme that takes a while to get used too.

A shame the sequel faded into nothingness. :(
I'm going to have to agree with Taruranto here on the second half, it ends up just becoming a bunch of fetch quests and the whole thing just kinda ends. I never realized how flawed the second half is compared to the first half until I recently played it again for the first time in years and despite the second half being somewhat lackluster, I still love the game

Top Bottom