• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 games you remember very fondly but everybody else forgot

KmA

8560_front.jpg

I really really loved this game when I first got it. And I will be forever bitter if we don't see Valkyrie Profile 3: Hrist

Gulz1992

ghosthunter-cover657012.jpg

I actually didn't get this game until sometime late into the PS3 era. Even so, I am apparently one of the very few who's even heard of this game. It was made by the same team of people behind the PS1 MediEvil games, and in several ways it feels like a kind of spiritual successor to them. The gameplay isn't actually that great, but it's serviceable enough, at least until the final level. The atmosphere, voice acting, writing, and graphics are really great though. The Haunted Mansion segment and Michael Gambon's performance as the main villain are some of my favorite moments in gaming, ever.

Fury451

Banned
250px-Ghosthunter.jpg

I think I'm in the minority who enjoyed this particular game.

No way, it was reasonably well reviewed. Beautiful graphics, good gameplay, great voice acting.

It was just a massively hidden gem- I don't recall any real promotion for it and it released in August of 2004 in the states, which was also the fall that saw the release of Half-Life 2, Halo 2, Red Dead Revolver, San Andreas, Burnout 3, Fable, Killzone, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, etc.

Not sure anyone even noticed it existed until it became a cult hit

not as much forgot as nobody played those, a pity really because Mana Khemia is GOAT and funniest game too while MKh2 is as good.

YES. Mana Khemia is my intro to JRPG, and still my 2nd favorite JRPG just below Persona. I really liked games with a dash of dating sims/simulation, and the Mana Khemia school-like system plus every party member had their own stories and you get to know them at free time is really great <3

Shinobido_Way_of_the_Ninja.jpg

Shinobido Way of the Ninja

I love Ninja games on the PS2 and this is by far my favourite. The way it focused on stealth and making use of your items. I had a blast with it.

Oh man, I remember this game! The one where you can customize your home with traps and gizmos, and there are 3 factions to choose from, right? Maybe the best stealh game for me :)

MLBPP_PS12_CoverSheet_hi.jpg

It looks like the series is extremely popular in Japan, but it doesn't get much love around me. But I guess it has its own cult followers?

As I said, I really liked games with a dash of dating sims/simulation. I loved the game mode where you become a college baseball player for one year. You have non-baseball related stats (Luck, Knowledge, if I'm not mistaken), you do part-time work, you can get girlfriends, you have college exams, and it uses a semi-random choice system. Really, you only play baseball for a really small portion of the mode, especially if you aren't the captain of the team. And did I mention it has a simple but good story? And you can get a baseball player ghost to help you or screw your opponents!

Didn't really liked baseball, so I pretty much only played that mode. But it's so great!

EDIT: I just found that there's a 2008 sequel to this game, does anyone know is it as good as this game?

Planet

I see someone already brought up Extermination, but there are so many duplicates here, this one deserves the same treatment. Also I have the EU cover here:

153210-extermination_9puhb.jpg

The first game I bought for my PS2 besides the bundled GT3. It was the only game with reduced price, never heard of it before, but I love the genre and the back cover text and screenshots looked like it should be something I might enjoy.

Boy, I was in for a treat, nice graphics, interesting plot, great gameplay, played it a ton, while I lost interest in racing games because I found GT3 increasingly boring. As soon as I have my pile of shame finished, I will pop it in once more. XD

I don't think Spiderman 2 was forgotten, always talked around here as the best Spiderman game whenever anything Spiderman is brought up

I have yet to see anyone ever mention it here, but I am sure someon ehas.

One of the best games I ever played, rated highly and positively in EGM

$_35.JPG

I understand it's an ugly game but it's smooth controls are tight and work very well. It's an adventure flight game of flying around , through areas such as canyons, trees etc Not open, not open world at all, just straight flying with good controls and some other tidbits like flying up a mountain in the snow

Fantastic game, would love another game like it.

skyodysseyps2_006-large.jpg

152689-Battlefield_2_-_Modern_Combat_(Europe)_(En,Es,Nl,Sv)_(v2.01)-1.jpg

This game was very popular back in the day. But noone talks about it now. i made a thread praising this game hoping to get the ball rolling for a resolution upscale but a rereleased on xbox arcade. Fuck the 360 version.

But i got nothing, how can such a popular game not be remembered fondly. I want this back :(

Ainsz

Dropship. Think it was a launch title. Solid gameplay for the time, nothing spectacular but had some fun moments.

meanspartan

That game was so amazingly good. The team mechanics worked wonderfully and the shooting was tons of fun. A classic.

Woot! Finally got some Freedom Fighters props from someone haha.

You all in here with your JRPGs...psssshhht. Freedom Fighters is the king of forgotten gems. Because people actually forgot it.

Planet

But i got nothing, how can such a popular game not be remembered fondly. I want this back :(
LOL, you might as well nominate the old FIFA and Madden versions as well. Or maybe God of War? Completely forgotten, they only talk about the newer iterations nowadays...

This kind of thread always brings forth some of the most popular and well received titles.

LOL, you might as well nominate the old FIFA and Madden versions as well. Or maybe God of War? Completely forgotten, they only talk about the newer iterations nowadays...

This kind of thread always brings forth some of the most popular and well received titles.

this battlefield is not like the others. its better

Planet

But you can't consider it forgotten while the series flourishes. Everyone might have a different favorite in any series' past.

I've never met anyone who has played Dual Hearts. I'm pretty sure it came out like a week or two before or after Kingdom Hearts so it got completely overlooked. I don't think I ever beat it, but I do remember having a great time with the weird, surrealistic story and environment and focus on dreams and such.

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks - Where is the damn sequel or remake?

GrimGrimoire - I don't understand why Vanillaware continues to neglect their best game IMHO while Odin Sphere and Muramasa are being ported left and right.

Others:
Spartan Total Warrior
Shinobi
Nightshade
Gungrave
Gungrave Overdose
MLB Power Pros

JpHOTek.jpg

I didn't know anything about the development hell it was in, but it's a really awesome games that manages to blend the beat em up & shmup genres pretty well!

I love this thread. The PS2 is my favorite console of all time and I expect its library will be remembered in the future the same way the SNES library is remembered today. I went through the whole thread right now and every time I had a game in mind I thought you guys didn't mention, it would eventually pop up.

I don't think this one has been brought up yet but I loved it: Battle Engine Aquila

51V8Q8K26HL._SX425_.jpg

It's like you're playing as an overpowered mech in someone else's RTS game. It's so great.

I have yet to see anyone ever mention it here, but I am sure someon ehas.

One of the best games I ever played, rated highly and positively in EGM

$_35.JPG

I understand it's an ugly game but it's smooth controls are tight and work very well. It's an adventure flight game of flying around , through areas such as canyons, trees etc Not open, not open world at all, just straight flying with good controls and some other tidbits like flying up a mountain in the snow

Fantastic game, would love another game like it.

I was looking to see if anyone else posted this before I did so!

Loved that game so much. Always had a faint hope that there might eventually have been a sequel but, alas, it wasn't to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv79mS_P7xY
You two might be happy to know that THERE IS A SEQUEL to this game... well, sorta.

It's not what you would expect and maybe not what you want but the game is called Rescue Copter and it's on PS1, and yes, it did come out after Sky Odyssey.

14931-44250.jpg

I haven't actually looked into how the two games are related, but believe me, they are. It's pretty much Sky Odyssey's gameplay but with helicopters. Even down to the mission intros with the weird 3d topographical maps telling you where all the checkpoints are at. Unfortunately it's not very good, Sky Odyssey is miles better. But if you're a big enough fan of Sky Odyssey, then I do recommend you give this game a try because it's just so interesting to play what is essentially a de-make of that game. It seriously feels like a rediscovered early alpha of what Sky Odyssey would become.

Also, did you know the guy who did the soundtrack to Sky Odyssey would later do the soundtrack to Shadow of the Colossus? Fight the bird colossi and you'll hear the music is very familiar. And did you know the Sky Odyssey website is still up? http://www.sky-odyssey.com/

LightInfa

Sky Odyssey

This is the correct answer! Now let's all lament the dearth of arcade flight sims on current gen :(

The other game that I played a ton but never hear anything about anymore is Aqua Aqua-

12349_front.jpg

Basically a 3D puzzle game about water management in a prehistoric setting- you'd manipulate terrain to create lakes (and little prehistoric critters would pop up in them!), while water would show up increasingly quickly.

Top Bottom