• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future - L.E. box

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
From MB:

"Here are some new images of Capcom's PS2 fighting game, Street Fighter III 3rd Strike ~ Fight for the Future - Limited Edition, the game will be bundled with a SFIII Gamest Strategy Guide, Special DVD (strategy guide with a collection of combos videos), and a 300 pcs SFIII Jigsaw Puzzle. The Limited Edition will be sold for 8,800 yen."

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0406/game060904d.shtml

Good stuff!

the cover looks kinda dumb (what is Chun Li doing? queefing?) but the rest of the goodies are cool. Too bad we don't get these kind of extras over here.

Ferrio

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
the cover looks kinda dumb (what is Chun Li doing? queefing?) but the rest of the goodies are cool. Too bad we don't get these kind of extras over here.

Spinning Bird Kick dumbass.

Ferrio said:
Spinning Bird Kick dumbass.

i know, but the way its all closeup makes it look stupid. They should have just put up some kickass art of some montage of multiple characters, instead of lameass "OMG I SEE HER CROTCH" fanservice (which would make sense of you defending it)

Ferrio

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
i know, but the way its all closeup makes it look stupid. They should have just put up some kickass art of some montage of multiple characters, instead of lameass "OMG I SEE HER CROTCH" fanservice (which would make sense of you defending it)

They probably put her on the cover since she was the big deal with 3rd strike came out.

I hadn't even noticed the crotch shot. I just thought it looked cool.

Oh well.

No on-line play.

Letters of seething contempt sent to Capcom USA last month. ^_^

I'll save my fighting game dollars for the company that delivers the goods on the PS2.

jett

D-Member
zooL said:
What was so bad about the DC-Port? I always thought it was arcade-perfect. :/

It isn't bad per se, but it's not arcade perfect. That and all the resolution modes are horrible. :p

Warrior

Banned
The cover art looks nice and all, but I would have preferred it if all the characters in SF3: 3rd Strike were displayed on the cover.

Anyway I hope Capcom bring out a L.E version of Street Fighter Anniversary Collection Online for the XBOX. :eek:

The Take Out Bandit said:
No on-line play.
I'll save my fighting game dollars for the company that delivers the goods on the PS2.

Just what the fuck are the goods?

My druthers include online play too, but this is 3rd Strike. I shouldn't even have to expound on that.

Just what the fuck are the druthers?

The Goods as defined in the context of this thread: FUCKING ON-LINE PLAY FOR PS2 CAPCOM FIGHTERS ALREADY, GOD DAMN IT!!!!

What, was I being too cryptic?

I'll try to be less subtle next time. =_=

No.

I'm going to be playing the games from the companies that provide me entertaining on-line content that fits the criteria I define for my gaming tastes.

Capcom will be the one waiting.

Waiting for my money. ^_^

They would be a sticky point, if other developers weren't providing gobs of entertainment already.

As far as 3rd Strike quality fighting games online for the PS2, I don't see it ever happening.

But hey, the XBOX version with LIVE is still a go, eh? We all win in the end.

And what hare brained reasoning do you have for this line of thinking?

Common sense mostly, considering that the PS2 is in the golden years of its run.

More specifically there is the fact that there is no well managed and throughly maintained network of servers to handle PS2 online games like there is for XBOX. So, when Capcom looks at the PS2's online environment in the US, they can tell that it not up to handling a fighter online. Even the XBOX's CVS2 performance is questionable.

Can somebody else besides Capcom step up and do it, I guess, but it won't be Namco or Sega for the same reason. Tecmo found a different bed for now.

If you want to play a fighting game that's not made by Capcom, Namco, or Sega, odds are that it won't be nearly as good.

Oh, the "PS2 is on it's way out" line.

Yes. I'll just ignore the annual increases in on-line enabled titles, and their persistent presence in the sales charts.

All it boils down to is Capcom is too fucking lazy. They'll release Auto Modellista in the US with on-line play, but they can't deliver a SF game? They've already done so in Japan. May be implemented in a slightly different manner, but if Capcom wants to stay relevant, they're going to have to start thinking globally, and not just for the best interest of the Nippon.

Especially in light of an asinine move like releasing an on-line enabled Street Fighter game on the Xbox of all things. Street Fighter is barely relevant in Japan these days, Japan could give a shit about the Xbox. I get the impression SF won't fare much better in the States thanks to the perception of 2D fighters being outdated, etc.

Atari and EA will be delivering close-to fighting games on-line. Good enough to pass the time.

SNK is looking to pick up the slack Capcom is leaving all over the god damn place, at least their US spokesperson claims so.

Well, I'm going to stop arguing with you. I do agree that Capcom gets lazy, but not that SNK is "picking up slack." You obviously don't care for fighters as much as I, and that's fine, because I'm not going to touch a fighter published by Atari or EA.

Fitting to end on the most incorrect statement you've made thus far.

Street Fighter is barely relevant in Japan these days

hirokazu

i'm guessing Europe might be getting this, but probably without the special LE stuff? our SF Anniversary Edition is just SFII, like in Japan...

Oh, I like fighting games plenty.

When they're in their natural environment and you're playing them against living breathing people.

Which is why without on-line play, fighting games on consoles are becoming irrelevant.

SNK is picking up slack by, claiming to thus far, taking an opportunity to release on-line titles on the PS2.

On-line Samurai Shodown? Where do I sign up?!

Street Fighter is barely relevant in Japan these days

I'll keep in mind how incorrect that is the next time a SF game fails to light up the charts, or appear on arcade game top tens.

Not saying it's bad, just appears that even Japan has moved on.

Or could it be that Capcom has a knack for releasing the games on consoles people don't want to buy?

The world may never know.

jarrod

Banned
SNK is looking to pick up the slack Capcom is leaving all over the god damn place, at least their US spokesperson claims so.
Ben Herman says lots of things, I wouldn't believe him until we actually see some online PS2 games from SNK. He's got good intentions but things often don't come out as he'd have us believe...

Besides, Capcom's delivering plenty of online PS2 content (Monster Hunter, RE Outbreak 1-2) but for a budget 2D fighing collection it's really just not worth it. If SCEA offered to host the servers for free (like a certian other nardware maker), I'm sure Capcom would change their tune... as is I'm sure Capcom will do just fine without your $30. :p

Ben Herman says lots of things, I wouldn't believe him until we actually see some online PS2 games from SNK. He's got good intentions but things often don't come out as he'd have us believe...

That explains the lack of SNK games in my PS2 library (SCEA approval has nothing to do with it). ^_^

I want to believe, but until I have evidence in my hand (a copy of something playable on-line), I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

As for the whole $30 budget title thing. . . Perhaps if the games offered on-line play Capcom wouldn't be forced to release them at $30? Sans on-line play, that's a close estimate of what they are worth. Although I'm even tighter, so I'd prefer $20 for such old ports.

Free server hosting isn't going to make a lick of difference in Japan.

Capcom seems hell bent on trumping Sega in the bad business decision department.

This is also ignoring the on-line enabled Capcom Vs. SNK 2 that was released in Japan oh so long ago.

It's not just Capcom, a lot of Japanese developers need to pull their heads out of their asses and embrace on-line gaming. Frustrates the devil out of me.

"I'll keep in mind how incorrect that is the next time a SF game fails to light up the charts, or appear on arcade game top tens."

The next time a SF game is even being released is somewhere in 2007 or 2008, if Capcom sticks to being idiots.

jarrod

Banned
That explains the lack of SNK games in my PS2 library (SCEA approval has nothing to do with it). ^_^
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of Herman promising no more censorship (then we got KOF2001/2002 PS2) and his reasoning for not supporting GC (higher licesning fees later became internet polling?). He's very off the cuff but he's also not very careful and likes to talk...

Although I'm even tighter, so I'd prefer $20 for such old ports.
But HSF2X is a new release. :p

Free server hosting isn't going to make a lick of difference in Japan.
Well for Japan I agree, I'm not sure why 3rd Strike (and HSG2X before it) isn't just using the KDDI network? Dumb move.

Capcom seems hell bent on trumping Sega in the bad business decision department.
Let's not exaggerate now.... though picking up Shantae was very obviously a wasted effort for the company. ;)

Mooreberg said:
If the past two years have been any indication, Capcom could use $30 from a lot of people.
Things seem to be turning around with some small successes (Monster Hunter, Outbreak, GTA Japan) and sustained hits (MMBN, Trial Inversion). Last year Capcom simply didn't have enough good content (when a 2D beat'em up platformer is your biggest game, you know you're in trouble) but that's been alleviated with RE4, Outbreak 2, DMC3 & Killer 7 on the horizon along with a ton of quirky smaller games and quality niche titles (Under the Skin, VJ2, MegaMan XCM, Ookami, Capcom Fighting Jam, etc).

However I doubt moves like adding online options to old games will really speed the road to recovery...

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
GuntherBait said:
The DC was incapable of handling 3rd Strike, so this should be fine.

Actually, it was the other way around. At the time, Capcom stated 3rd Strike WASN'T possible on PS2, due to its hardware "limitations".

Let's not exaggerate now.... though picking up Shantae was very obviously a wasted effort for the company.

AHHHH! It burns!! IT BURNS!!! :p

Although their lack of interest in Shantae Advance does reveal a lot about their lack of commitment to publishing quality software. ;)

But HSF2X is a new release. :p

Okay, I'll elaborate on HSF2X.

I used to be a real hard core SF nerd. It's all I ever played. Nearly all of my allowance and other income went towards playing SF2 in the arcade. I bought an SNES to practice for the arcade challengers. I would handicap myself when playing against friends by disabling all attack buttons but fierce punch (although I have no doubt there was someone even more hard core out there that used just Jab). I beat one of my friends using my prehensile monkey feet once. I bought every SNES SF2 release, I bought SF2 for the GB, I bought numerous SF games for the Saturn, Playstation, and Dreamcast. My friends used to make fun of me for playing SF2 and buying every version Capcom released.

I had Street Fighter on the fucking brain. Although I admit to never have given a shit about the "story" of why these people were punching each other in the face, that's perhaps a more frightening subset of SF fandom, than say playing SF with your feet.

Today. . . I just don't fucking care about playing SF2 Ryu against Super Turbo Ryu, on a Hyper Fight background. I just don't give a damn.

It's just a testament to how completely dependent on milking franchises Capcom is. It must be great to have a large enough body of work, that you can just reach back a few years and plagiarize your own content instead of coming up with something fresh.

I'm sure it's neat, I'm sure it's great, but being able to pick any character from any incarnation of SF2 and pitting them against each other is not going to prolong my enjoyment of the series, or coerce my friends into playing more of a game we played the hell out of ten years ago.

I'd love to play more SF3, but seeing as how arcades are all but dead, and not even the local Dave & Busters has a lone SF3 cabinet, I am not inclined to practice on a home version to improve arcade skills that will be all for naught.

The thrill of playing SF is to play against people, and that's why Capcom should focus on releasing these damned games with on-line play.

I'm so into on-line gaming now, seeing as how it's more or less replaced the awesome arcade scene of the late 80's early 90's, that I'd be willing to buy individual releases of SF2 with on-line play at $40 a pop instead of a compilation title. I'd go that far, just for on-line play.

I'm just not going to go so far as to buy an Xbox. I cannot afford it. The way the economy is currently, and the miniscule income I have goes towards keeping a roof over my head, living provisions, and feeding my gaming addiction. Lord help me, gaming has trumped my love for even comics. When times got tight, the recreational purposes became fewer and fewer, and now it's just soba for dinner and a new PS2 game, from the gobs of awesome titles flooding the market, when I can afford one.

Ignoring my financial straights, it's just confounding that Capcom would be so foolish as to ignore the enormous popularity of SF in Japan, and the ridiculously large userbase of the PS2 to capitalize on the former craze.

There's no way in hell this cannot be as profitable for Capcom in Japan as releasing the game for Xbox Live. I'm not really counting on Street Fighter setting XBL ablaze here either. As nice as it will be, the hordes of SF have diminished, and I just know the more eye pleasing and accessible DOA on-line is going to draw more attention to itself. Then there's Street Fighter's old rival Mortal Kombat to contend with as well. . .

Capcom isn't alone in their on-line quandary. From Software has also, seemingly, experimented with on-line play in Armored Core in Japan, only to ultimately drop it altogether.

It's like every time they take a baby step towards improving the appeal of their software, then drop it and take five hundred paces backward.

WTF?!?!!?!?@!

I want to kick the Japanese developer community in their teeth for this crap. >:|

I was thinking more along the lines of Herman promising no more censorship (then we got KOF2001/2002 PS2)

Wait a minute, I was under the impression Agetec published the KoF Collection here? @_@

The next time a SF game is even being released is somewhere in 2007 or 2008, if Capcom sticks to being idiots.

There's a HUGE opportunity for Capcom to reinvigorate, dare I say "revolutionize", 3D fighters with Street Fighter.

Capcom could cash-in in a big way by creating a fully 3D Street Fighter game that retains the fantastical elements of classic SF game play, and totally eclipses the stable of samey same Virtua Fighter clones that are hogging the 3D fighter market.

Look at the artistic / expressionist methods the development community is achieving with the current generation of consoles. They could also create a unique visual style for the game as well. Something that combines a cell shaded / traditional animation technique in the third dimension, and retains the Capcom sensibilities of Street Fighter.

I'd cream my jeans for a 3D version of Street Fighter that looked like those bomb ass watercolor character design sketches from Street Fighter 3.

It could be huge.

They just need to reach for the brass ring.

Or it could fail miserably due to crap design and execution. :p

jarrod

Banned
Capcom isn't alone in their on-line quandary. From Software has also, seemingly, experimented with on-line play in Armored Core in Japan, only to ultimately drop it altogether.

It's like every time they take a baby step towards improving the appeal of their software, then drop it and take five hundred paces backward.

WTF?!?!!?!?@!

I want to kick the Japanese developer community in their teeth for this crap. >:|
Funny enough From Software's new XBox mech game (GunHound or something?) is online. As well as games from other Japanese publishers like Sammy, SNK Playmore, Tecmo, Taito, Hudson... maybe you should reconsider not buying an XBox? :/

Wait a minute, I was under the impression Agetec published the KoF Collection here? @_@
Nope it was SNK NEOGEO USA CONSUMER ENTERTAINMENT's first release. SNK hasn't used Agetec since the DC days...

Funny enough From Software's new XBox mech game (GunHound or something?) is online.

And Metal Wolf Chaos or something.

Fucking odd.

Well, not really. My betting dollars are on Money Hats, as From Software has all but abandoned Gamecube development, which would only be more lucrative on their home turf where their software has some iota of selling power.

As far as From Software is concerned, I've long since grown sick of annual updates to Armored Core, and hoping that the next one would indeed include full blown on-line play.

In a perfect demonstration of patience pays, both Square Enix and Konami are taking steps to stealing From Software's dookie shoe with Front Mission Online and Phantom Crash 2050.

If Developer A wants to ignore the want of consumers, then Developer B may well see that opportunity and take it.

If not this generation then next.

I may not have on-line SF on Playstation today, but I've waited this long for SF3 on the Playstation, I can wait a few more years. Unless Capcom suddenly decides against rehashing their back catalogue of classics next gen. :p

DarkCloud

Online play sans voice chat is boring to me...and chances are good fighters on the PS2 would be trying to peserve as much bandwidth as possible for the fight: accommodating for the 56K users as well...which would lag up the fights anyways.

If you want the closest thing to arcades you can get the closest you're going to get is the xbox live online service...and even that is not perfect. If you can't get an xbox now just be thankful that there's an option down the road for online sf3 when you can instead of pining for what you could have had.

To my understanding, it's a common misconception that voice chat requires tons of bandwidth. At least that's what I've read in developer interviews.

That's okay.

Like I said.

If not Capcom. Someone else.

If not now. Next generation.

I'm in no hurry.

If not now. Next generation.

There ya go.

BTW, I pretty much feel the same as you do on the whole matter.

I was never arguing that they SHOULDN'T, and certainly not that they COULDN'T, but just that they WOULDN'T.

Top Bottom