• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Translation] The Making of Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

http://shmuplations.com/sfiii/

These three Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike interviews were originally featured in Gamest magazine and the Capcom Secret File. They cover the origins of the 3rd Strike development, the design of the new characters, changes from 2nd Impact, and much more.

The third interview with general producer Noritaka Funamizu also features his comments on the contemporary arcade and FTG scene, alternating between pointed criticism of the industry and heartfelt declarations of support for the genre and community.

Lots of interesting tidbits in there. We could have seen Sagat or Zangief in a fourth SFIII entry!

Shun Goku Satsu me if old

Pompadour

GAF's #1 fighting game

that website is great. i'm excited to read the article.

The article was extremely illuminating. The developers essentially predicted that arcade culture was going to be overtaken with simple games so they went whole hog with a hardcore-targeted Street Fighter game. It's interesting that by the time 3S was in development that the fighting game genre was shrinking rapidly.

All the neat, pointless ideas they had but couldn't add makes me wish there was a 4th Strike. Abigail being the XCOPY version of Hugo is great.

Tizoc

Oh hell yes.
Something to read at work tomorrow thanks OP!

SF3 3S needs a re-release along with a rebalanced edition.
I CANNOT LIVE THROUGH ANOTHER CYCLE OF CHUN, YUN AND KUN DAMNIT!!!!!

bumpkin

The location test popularity graphic is interesting... Poor Oro, dead last in both the US and Japan.

Newboi

Thanks for the article OP! 3S is near and dear to my heart so I get excited everyone I can find out more about its development.

3S is still one of the best games ever created in my book.

kooplar

They mention that every character might have been able to use a bomb (as in, parrying is maximum defense so the bomb would be maximum offense). I guess this is where ibukis bomb idea in sf5 came from

Pompadour

They mention that every character might have been able to use a bomb (as in, parrying is maximum defense so the bomb would be maximum offense). I guess this is where ibukis bomb idea in sf5 came from

It sounded more like it was a once a match, unblockable attack but I can't really tell by the way it was described. That would have been interesting.

Raitaro

Thank you for posting this OP!

I've been on the look out for any development info on SFIII or interviews with its staff for years, i.e for anything that shines some light on this sub-series' exceptional (visual) quality, its unique feel/tone, the amount of new stuff compared to the previous games and also on how it all came to be in the troubled arcade and fighting game climate at that time.

Will read ASAP.

leroidys

Finally got around to this- great read. The last interview in particular was interesting, and kind of sad. It really feels like that era was the final flame in a dying arcade scene.

Top Bottom