PS3 3.30 System Software Update (3D, trophy sorting, taunting Dragona)

Grooski said:
So let me get this right? They take obscure features away, you guys bitch about it. They add features, you still bitch about it. :lol

Love the "I'm entitled to everything" mentality...
how many people use PS3 Linux?

how many people have a 3D TV?

yeah, they introduced an even more niche feature than the one they removed...
 
The Faceless Master said:
how many people use PS3 Linux?

how many people have a 3D TV?

yeah, they introduced an even more niche feature than the one they removed...
Shhhh, don't talk about it or they'll remove this feature too. Or is there a 2 year window before features are safe from being removed?
 
RavenFox said:
And that's bad how?
Edit: I didn't know that the original console that purchased the content had to be online and the content couldn't be used by other PSN IDs on that console. That's a bit strict.

I wouldn't mind them copying MS's way of requiring a console that didn't originally download the content to be signed in to use it while the original console's content could be used by all accounts on the system.
 
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Really don't care about Trophy sorting. Who the hell needs to sort trophies?
When you're playing a game and a trophy pops up, maybe you think, "Oh, I wonder what that was for." (You know how on 360 you just have to hit the one button and something will pop up that tells you?) Well now you can find out on the PS3 too!
 
I finally got demon's souls and now I have to download this when I want to play it. This hurts more than Sony nuking my linux install to get the skate demo i didn't play yet.
 
The Faceless Master said:
how many people use PS3 Linux?

how many people have a 3D TV?

yeah, they introduced an even more niche feature than the one they removed...
True but:
3d media and Gaming adoption will most certanly grow over time as will the profits generated by them.

Where as Linux on the PS3 was pretty much dead and offered Sony no financial incentive for supporting it. Linux on the PS3 was also showing signs of being security liability

So Faceless, if you were Sony which feature one would you adopt and which feature would you drop?
 
OldJadedGamer said:
Shhhh, don't talk about it or they'll remove this feature too. Or is there a 2 year window before features are safe from being removed?
This one is there to sell TV's so it won't be removed but at least it won't cost SCE as much as Blu-ray did.

Trailblaster said:
True but:
3d media and Gaming adoption will most certanly grow over time as will the profits generated by them.

Where as Linux on the PS3 was pretty much dead and offered Sony no financial incentive for supporting it. Linux on the PS3 was showing signs of being security liability.

So Faceless, if you were Sony which feature one would you adopt and which feature would you drop?
Why does one have to be removed?
 
Trailblaster said:
True but:
3d media and Gaming adoption will most certanly grow over time as will the profits generated by them.

Where as Linux on the PS3 was pretty much dead and offered Sony no financial incentive for supporting it. Linux on the PS3 was showing signs of being security liability.

So Faceless, if you were Sony which feature one would you adopt and which feature would you drop?
if i was Sony, i'd keep Linux because i use Linux.
 

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
badcrumble said:
I just tested it and they seem to have fixed the region-free EU Blu-Ray problem. It works with my LIFE Blu-Ray, at any rate.
WAT?!?!?!?!?! They finally fixed Dragona's Blu-Ray issue?!?!?!?! Someone sound the siren!
 
The Faceless Master said:
true, it's a bad comparison.

you're not FORCED to use home, but you ARE forced to choose between Linux and the PSN.
Well, not just PSN. I'm sure in the near future all first party games will have 3D support and require firmware 3.30.
 
The Faceless Master said:
true, it's a bad comparison.

you're not FORCED to use home, but you ARE forced to choose between Linux and the PSN.
Yes and just like any software service you have to agree to Sony's terms of service. If Sony decided that, to use their service you have to disable "Other OS" their with in their right as the service provider to do so.

It may not be a nice choice but it is your choice to make.
 
Trailblaster said:
Yes and just like any software service you have to agree to Sony's terms of service. If Sony decided that, to use their service you have to disable "Other OS" their with in their right as the service provider to do so.

It may not be a nice choice but it is your choice to make.
so basically, you agree with me.
 
Dragona Akehi said:
Considering I actually use my PS3's Linux, I'm not about to find out any time soon.
That sucks. Still don't understand why they couldn't fix the exploit while keeping the feature available. Sorry you can't take advantage of the update you've been waiting for.
 
swoon said:
wasn't the blu ray problem only with titles with pal50 material? all of my region free blu rays worked fine, did life not play before?
This was my first time trying them out on my PS3, to be fair - 'twas just a test. If it's a false alarm, I'm sorry (I didn't want the Oprah Winfrey voiceover - I don't know why people think that the US will have a problem with Attenborough). You may be right.
 
badcrumble said:
This was my first time trying them out on my PS3, to be fair - 'twas just a test. If it's a false alarm, I'm sorry (I didn't want the Oprah Winfrey voiceover - I don't know why people think that the US will have a problem with Attenborough). You may be right.
Me neither. I've got The Attenborough Life on pre-order from Amazon, though, and I boycotted Oprah's rendition the same way I did Sigourney's.
 
h3ro said:
That sucks. Still don't understand why they couldn't fix the exploit while keeping the feature available. Sorry you can't take advantage of the update you've been waiting for.
It sounds like the exploit isn't somthing they couldn't just patch, and the risk of keeping Linux far out weighed the gains. Or at lest in Sony's eyes.

It really sucks because any chance a of more fully supported Linux OS with GPU acceleration on the PS4 goes out the window also.

Fucking Gehot...
 
badcrumble said:
I just tested it and they seem to have fixed the region-free EU Blu-Ray problem. It works with my LIFE Blu-Ray, at any rate.
I don't remember who it was I had this debate with last time, but this is a situation where Sony clearly did something with the Blu-ray playback and it's not mentioned anywhere when you download the firmware or on the Playstation Blog. Sony really needs to start writing more detailed release notes.
 
Trailblaster said:
It sounds like the exploit isn't somthing they couldn't just patch, and the risk of keeping Linux far out weighed the gains. Or at lest in Sony's eyes.

It really sucks because any chance a of more fully supported Linux OS with GPU acceleration on the PS4 goes out the window also.

Fucking Gehot...
I doubt that Sony put that much thought or time into it. My guess is that some suit got forwarded the story by someone who read about it on the internet, freaked out, and told the lowly firmware team to remove OtherOS ASAP, and they dutifully complied. I honestly don't think that it was some thoughtful, reluctant move, but a quick and instinctive and thoughtless one. I don't think there was malice in it, but I don't think it was an informed decision on Sony's part in the least either; it's just fairly typical corporate blundering.