• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 3.30 System Software Update (3D, trophy sorting, taunting Dragona)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Brazil said:
You can now turn a game's trophy list into some kind of folder, that includes different lists for the game and each DLC. Only works for Uncharted 2, though :p

It's cool, I guess.
That was added a while back ago to the firmware. U2 was the first game to use it.

The Faceless Master said:
exactly. sony 'could' force devs to support custom soundtracks or screenshots or youtube ... or even voice chat. man i still can't believe MKII is still selling so well on the PSN and they haven't even done a simple voice chat update for it.

No they can't not without ether completely fucking over developers or reducing the PS3's OS foot print a LOT more then they already have.

The PS3 OS and SDK functions is modular in nature. Currently about 50mb of ram is reserved for the OS and all of it's functions. In-game XMB, friends list, in-game text messaging, persistant text chat rooms, ect.. All of the features in Sony's upcoming premium service is also most likely covered in the 50meg of ram.

Although features like custom sound tracks, youtube uploading, voice chat, in game web browsing are supported in the SDK, they are all seperate modules and take up chunks of ram that would other wise be used for games. As cool as these features are their fluf features and Sony souldn't force Devs to use what little system resources they have on them. Not if their game design dosen't allow for it.

Hopefully as Sony refines their OS more of these features can be absorbed into the Ram reserved for the OS.

Yes Sony because I'm going to buy a new TV based off of a novelty such as 3D. (I just bought a Samsung "32 720p TV last year...) God every time I start up my PS3 there is a fucking update, slow down with the updates. >_>;

PS3 updates take forever too, that is my primary annoyance.

androvsky

MidnightScott said:
Yes Sony because I'm going to buy a new TV based off of a novelty such as 3D. (I just bought a Samsung "32 720p TV last year...) God every time I start up my PS3 there is a fucking update, slow down with the updates. >_>;

PS3 updates take forever too, that is my primary annoyance.

You turned on your PS3 once in November, once in December, and then not again until April?

Yeah, I know there were two this month, but it looks like Sony couldn't wait for the 3D stuff to get finalized to nuke linux. Otherwise, they really did slow way down on their updates.

TheSeks said:
The only time I should have to XMB->User->Triangle->Join is if I want to "Join a game in progress" with the player a la XBL.

Sadly, they haven't even gotten THAT feature into PSN yet.

That feature is already available (Modern Warfare 2).

mw2f.jpg

(Screenshot displays how you get there the hard way - you can also just press triangle when highlighting friend in your Friendslist)

REAL cross-game invites are already used in the following games (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few - recent PS Store games for example):
• Modern Warfare 2
• DiRT 2
• Battlefield: Bad Company

But DiRT 2 and BF:BC2 do not support joining a friend through the XMB. That's something you have to do by using the regular in-game menu (which isn't that bad, but still... it would be great if all future games could just work the same way).

Now, of course, one thing that they should add is a new icon for actual invites (messages with netcode that allow you to instantly join friends regardless of what you're doing) instead of regular PSN messages. Also: If a notification appears, I want the PS button to respond accordingly (You know, by instantly displaying the message/invite/gamercard/trophy).

I really hope that cross-game invites will be mandatory soon. But I don't really see it happening to be honest. =(

I mean, Sony's own games don't even use it properly (Uncharted 2, for instance - or the yet to be released Modnation Racers, which uses it's own in-game system like LBP did)... and the recent Skate 3 demo doesn't use it either (which I got REALLY angry about). What the fuck is up with that?!

This is what a Skate 3 invite (roughly) reads:
"Hi, I'd like to play Skate 3 with you. To accept my invitation, go to the start menu and scroll to 'Access Invites' and click it."

What... the... fuck? Didn't the developers to their homework? Was there no one that said: "Hey guys, there is this new feature that allows players to instantly accept invitations! We should use that instead!"?

Man

Resistance 2, RE5 and SF4 also has it but yeah.. still just a handful. At least they covered biggest game this generation (MW2). :/

unomas

Banned
Definitely happy with the trophy sorting, not sure if we'll ever see the cross game party chat etc. etc. It seems like that's been a request for quite some time and still no progress on it. Not a deal breaker since PSN is free, but tons of people are still asking for it.

methane47

Soooooooooo I just hooked up My BlackBerry on BES.... and started playing around with Voice msgs over BBM...

and it made me wonder...

WHY THE HELL THIS CAN"T BE IMPLEMENTED BY SONY...

I mean.. in BBM with 1-2 clicks of the button you can record a 20 sec(?) audio clip which will be sent to the person... and the file size for that clip is on average for me... 10kb For 10-20 SECONDS OF AUDIO...

SONY WHY CAN I NOT GET THIS FEATURE...

Scenario:
Hey... my friend just came online
===> PS BUTTON
===> Go to friend
===> Press... button
===> Select Voice mail (which it starts recording imediately)
-----(Hit any key to stop recording... option to play it back, send it... or cancel)

That whole process would be soo sweet... I cannot imagine that 10-100 kb of RAM would be that hard to work around for this..

unomas said:
Definitely happy with the trophy sorting

I'm playing God of War tonight and OMFG is it good to finally not have to scroll through the entire list to see what trophy I just earned. Sort by date earned... thank you Jebus.

Haven't turned on and updated my PS3 yet, but one thing I always liked about how 360 displays your achievements is that it displays from the top the most recent booted up games you have.

Can people now see your PS3 trophy list like that by default, or will it still look like a jumbled messy list with games they don't have have on the bottom?

Jaroof

Did anybody get a DNS error?
I haven't had this error in a long time, but after playing some Burnout and a little bit of Critter Crunch with my friend, I got a DNS error, and can't connect to the net :p

Firestorm

LiK said:
still no autosyncing eh?
Ugh, yes. Trophies are completely pointless if you have to manually sync. "I wonder how far my friend is in Final Fantasy XIII now... oh look it says they didn't play it even though we were talking about it yesterday!"

SmokyDave

Hooray! it's about time for a feature update. Really looking forward to throwing myself into 3D once the new Bravia range launches.

Replicant

thechemist said:
Some people on the EU blog saying their controllers arent syncing to their PS3 (SLIM) after this update.

Ugh, was going to DL the update but I think I'll wait some more until there's confirmation that there's no console/controller-breaking bugs in this update.

Android18a said:
I have my downloaded games on PS3 sorted by System. What I really want is to be able to alter the order in more ways than it gives me. Why can't I put them alphabetically in the folders?

THIS

With the update for Trophies now basically every fucking thing on the PS3 can be sorted alphabetically, but NOT the games.
I have 60+ titles each in my PSN Games and PS3 Demos folders and I want to sort them since they released the sorting update for media files.
Game data/install alphabetical sorting would be good as well (for savegames it's already there).

Trailblaster said:
No they can't not without ether completely fucking over developers or reducing the PS3's OS foot print a LOT more then they already have.

The PS3 OS and SDK functions is modular in nature. Currently about 50mb of ram is reserved for the OS and all of it's functions. In-game XMB, friends list, in-game text messaging, persistant text chat rooms, ect.. All of the features in Sony's upcoming premium service is also most likely covered in the 50meg of ram.

Although features like custom sound tracks, youtube uploading, voice chat, in game web browsing are supported in the SDK, they are all seperate modules and take up chunks of ram that would other wise be used for games. As cool as these features are their fluf features and Sony souldn't force Devs to use what little system resources they have on them. Not if their game design dosen't allow for it.

Hopefully as Sony refines their OS more of these features can be absorbed into the Ram reserved for the OS.

they just recently reduced the memory footprint, should have reserved some of the new free RAM for making (at least 1-2) of these features mandatory.
Is there a detailed source btw? I really doubt custom music (instead of playing the games music, not that much of a different task eh?) and XMB screenshots need (a lot) RAM.
Some games simply freeze once you go to the ingame XMB/take a screenshot so I can hardly see the reason for not integrating it into sp games.

Also, in mp games voice chat is important so it will be integrated anyway. Why not give an ingame option to use custom music instead of voice chat in mp (and sp). There actually are games doing this (e.g. Crash Commando). Could be done on XMB level as well.
(and if out of all games, KZ2 has no problem doing custom music AND voice chat (plus proximity chat) I don't see why other games can't, especially if they play the game's music in their mp.

Goldrusher

Curufinwe said:
Yeah, I bought Super Stardust HD partly because just getting the demo gave me the Trophy slot for the game and a big fat 0%.
I'm in favor of demos handing out trophies.

• It would be fun to see how many you could unlock in just the demo.
• It would also make people play a lot more demos.
• And potentially like a lot more games, thus buying more games.

Withnail

Some people are commenting on the EU blog that there's now an option for remote play from a PC. I'm not near my PS3 now so can't verify. Would be interesting if so. I remember there used to be a hack to do remote play from a PS3 but Sony shut it down quite quickly.

OldJadedGamer said:
I'm playing God of War tonight and OMFG is it good to finally not have to scroll through the entire list to see what trophy I just earned. Sort by date earned... thank you Jebus.

Hasn't it always been like this? The new option added in 3.30 is to sort alphabetically.

thechemist

Withnail said:
Some people are commenting on the EU blog that there's now an option for remote play from a PC. I'm not near my PS3 now so can't verify. Would be interesting if so. I remember there used to be a hack to do remote play from a PS3 but Sony shut it down quite quickly.

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/vaio-playstation-3/2

You can now select [PC] as an option under [Remote Play Settings] > [Register Device]. When you select this option, you will be able to use the remote play feature to operate your PS3 system from future models of the VAIO PC. Details of this feature will be announced on the official VAIO website at vaio.eu/playstation in May 2010.

1237478277784.jpg

FULL UPDATE details

Find out what features are included in PS3 system software update 3.30.

An update to the PS3 system software was released on 22 April 2010. If you update your PS3 system, the system software version will be 3.30 and the following features will be updated. In order to download PS3 system software version 3.30, you will need a minimum 165MB of free space on either the PS3 Hard Disk Drive (System Update) or on removable storage media (PC Update).

New or revised features in version 3.30

Settings

* You can now select [PC] as an option under [Remote Play Settings] > [Register Device]. When you select this option, you will be able to use the remote play feature to operate your PS3 system from future models of the VAIO PC. Details of this feature will be announced on the official VAIO website at vaio.eu/playstation in May 2010.
* [Bitstream (Direct)] and [Bitstream (Mix)] have been added as options under [Video Settings] > [BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital)].
* 3D stereoscopic games are now supported. At the time of the system software release, there are no 3D stereoscopic games available for the PlayStation 3 system. The release of 3D stereoscopic games will be announced at a later date. If the TV in use supports 3D stereoscopic display, the screen from which you can set the TV size will be displayed when adjusting the video output settings. Follow the on-screen instructions to adjust the settings.

Game

* You can now sort your trophies by the game title or by the date earned.
* Names of trophies that you have not yet earned are now displayed as [Hidden Trophy] instead of [???].

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/system-software/detail/item275508/Update-features-(ver-3-30)/

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I've been hoping for a generic Windows remote play client for a while. I think there was a project working on that?

Anyway, this is a step closer to something more official :)

Oozinator

Banned
magicaltrevor said:
That feature is already available (Modern Warfare 2).

mw2f.jpg

(Screenshot displays how you get there the hard way - you can also just press triangle when highlighting friend in your Friendslist)

REAL cross-game invites are already used in the following games (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few - recent PS Store games for example):
• Modern Warfare 2
• DiRT 2
• Battlefield: Bad Company

But DiRT 2 and BF:BC2 do not support joining a friend through the XMB. That's something you have to do by using the regular in-game menu (which isn't that bad, but still... it would be great if all future games could just work the same way).

Now, of course, one thing that they should add is a new icon for actual invites (messages with netcode that allow you to instantly join friends regardless of what you're doing) instead of regular PSN messages. Also: If a notification appears, I want the PS button to respond accordingly (You know, by instantly displaying the message/invite/gamercard/trophy).

I really hope that cross-game invites will be mandatory soon. But I don't really see it happening to be honest. =(

I mean, Sony's own games don't even use it properly (Uncharted 2, for instance - or the yet to be released Modnation Racers, which uses it's own in-game system like LBP did)... and the recent Skate 3 demo doesn't use it either (which I got REALLY angry about). What the fuck is up with that?!

This is what a Skate 3 invite (roughly) reads:
"Hi, I'd like to play Skate 3 with you. To accept my invitation, go to the start menu and scroll to 'Access Invites' and click it."

What... the... fuck? Didn't the developers to their homework? Was there no one that said: "Hey guys, there is this new feature that allows players to instantly accept invitations! We should use that instead!"?

Is this "Join Session" menu available in the "no game launched full XMB" or only in the in-game XMB when I'm running the same game as the friend ? Is there a special icon on the friend list that shows the friend is "joinable" ?

BTW, I thought HD was the "third" D :/

Oozinator said:
Is this "Join Session" menu available in the "no game launched full XMB" or only in the in-game XMB when I'm running the same game as the friend ? Is there a special icon on the friend list that shows the friend is "joinable" ?

No. Only when you're running the same game.

Oozinator said:
Is there a special icon on the friend list that shows the friend is "joinable" ?

No.

=(

jamaniek

Withnail said:
Damn, should have guessed it would be Vaios only. I was having visions of firing up my PS3 from work to set off store downloads.

Thanks for posting that full changelog.

Vaios are running Windows OS anyway. So I guess it should work on a normal PC too.

Combichristoffersen said:
It damn well better work on non-Vaio PCs too :mad:

I guess they have to perform a check for known hardware so the PS3/PSN is not open for attacks?

btw. can you use Remote-Play via tunnel-software on PC with a non-hacked PSP?
I can't seem to connect my PSP to wireless networks with specific logins/protocols like university or at work, so if possible I would like to do connect the PSP with my netbook as a bridge to use Remote Play.

Kowak

Banned
Shadow780 said:
future models of VAIO?

DAMN YOU.

THIS.

I just got one(hopefully delivered today) and this will piss me off. I dont see why it couldnt work with all vaios as surely it only needs software and an internet connection to work.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Kowak said:
THIS.

I just got one(hopefully delivered today) and this will piss me off. I dont see why it couldnt work with all vaios as surely it only needs software and an internet connection to work.
Probably added HW for security purposes.

SmokyDave

I use a Vaio for work and update it regularly but it'll be a shame if the Remote Play can't be hacked to work with my home laptop (Toshiba). Having said that, I usually use remote play either at work or in hotels and in both instances I'd have my Vaio and my PSP Go with me anyway.

Edit: Jorma - The changes relate to a new (video?) service called Qriocity or something equally daft.

jorma

is now taking requests
Hmm i just got a mail about changes in the TOS. Anyone know what changed? Is it alright if i assume nothing was changed that works in my favour? :p

edit: oh, thanks =)

GeekyDad

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but I updated the firmware, and now neither of my controllers will communicate with the system. Each controller just blinks for a couple of minutes and shuts off. Can't even turn on the system with my controllers. Anyone experience this?

mr_chun

I can has new icon for Call of Duty: Classic plz Sony?

It's really low res/blown up and extremely ugly. I hate going to my trophies cause I have to look at it.

Crisis

Banned
GeekyDad said:
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but I updated the firmware, and now neither of my controllers will communicate with the system. Each controller just blinks for a couple of minutes and shuts off. Can't even turn on the system with my controllers. Anyone experience this?

Happened to me too. It's easily solved. Just turn on the PS3 with the button then plug in your controller with a USB cable and turn it on separately. You can unplug it after the PS3 has booted up.

Top Bottom