• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 3.30 System Software Update (3D, trophy sorting, taunting Dragona)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
leroidys said:
So is remote play actually worth anything? I checked the wikipedia article and the list is extremely short, and all games I would rather play on my ps3.
Its an interesting concept that I hope gets better/more access if PSP2 comes. But it works nicely atm for PS1 games in which its not needed for a quick response...so like some rpgs

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Wait... can I use Remote Play in any PC, or its exclusive to VAIO brand stuff? Also can I do this now if it works in any PC?

spwolf

Van Owen said:
I don't know what this means. Someone tell me what to enable. :lol

secondary audio is now mixed in the bitstream, so for instance commentary works fine now if you bitstream... it is actually good and useful option for people who prefer to bitstream.

Zoe

I just noticed that Facebook now posts "Hidden Trophies: #" instead of "??? (???)" over and over again.

Boss Man

Remote Play + Media Server is pretty damn cool. All media on your PC from anywhere with a WiFi connection (computer has to be on, but PS3 can be switched on/off from the PSP).

NYR

So peeps, Questions -

1) I assumed you needed a 3D TV to view 3D content. With this update, will I be able to view 3D content like games or movies, on a regular non-3D TV?

2) I assume the glasses for the PS3 will be universal and sold in stores? I ask as I have a 2009 samsung LED - wouldn't I need samsung glasses? Or is these glasses just a scam and already universal (ie- I could use samsung glasses on a 3D Bravia)?

3) I thought 3D was only possible via HDMI 1.4 hardware which the ps3 doesn't have?? True or false?

NYR said:
So peeps, Questions -

1) I assumed you needed a 3D TV to view 3D content. With this update, will I be able to view 3D content like games or movies, on a regular non-3D TV?

2) I assume the glasses for the PS3 will be universal and sold in stores? I ask as I have a 2009 samsung LED - wouldn't I need samsung glasses? Or is these glasses just a scam and already universal (ie- I could use samsung glasses on a 3D Bravia)?

3) I thought 3D was only possible via HDMI 1.4 hardware which the ps3 doesn't have?? True or false?

1) No; you need a 3D TV for 3D

2) 3D glasses are designed to work with that particular 3D TV. There will be no PS3 specific glasses.

3) HDMI 1.4 just adds an easy spec for all 3D content to work equally well across all HDMI 1.4 devices. HDMI 1.4 doesn't add any bandwidth or anything that makes 3D only possible with it. Sony just has to do a little extra work to make the PS3 work with that 3D spec.

NYR said:
So peeps, Questions -

1.- You need a 3D TV

2.- The 3D TV will have glasses, if they're necessary to see the games in 3D. Selling a 3D TV without the necessary glasses is like selling a HD console without the HD cables... oh, wait...

3.- False. It's possible with the PS3 HDMI.

masterkajo

Today, I updated my PS3 to 3.30 and played some FFXIII. All worked fine for about have an hour but then suddely the screen goes blank. I restarted and nothing worked except holding the button down for 5 seconds (reseting the PS3) and plugging the standard AV cable in to get a picture. After that I plugged the HDMI back in and it got working again.

This now happens every half an hour. I also found out if I let the screen blank it comes back on after about 1-2 minutes.

Anyone got similar problems? Could it be because of the system update or is it just the way of my PS3 to tell my it won't make it much longer??

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I haven't had any problems since the update. I guess I'm lucky, none of them have messed up my system.

The trophy sorting between alphabetical and reserve order is useless for me but at least the comparing with friends is better. I just noticed that it starts with only games that both of you have played, like the Se'Xbox.
Cool.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
masterkajo said:
Today, I updated my PS3 to 3.30 and played some FFXIII. All worked fine for about have an hour but then suddely the screen goes blank. I restarted and nothing worked except holding the button down for 5 seconds (reseting the PS3) and plugging the standard AV cable in to get a picture. After that I plugged the HDMI back in and it got working again.

This now happens every half an hour. I also found out if I let the screen blank it comes back on after about 1-2 minutes.

Anyone got similar problems? Could it be because of the system update or is it just the way of my PS3 to tell my it won't make it much longer??

I've had the same problem--it's a handshake issue with the television.

thcsquad

masterkajo said:

I've had that problem since I got my PS3 2 years ago. I've attributed it to a cheap HDMI cable, though I don't really know. I've never had any other problems with the PS3.

It certainly doesn't happen as often as it does to you, though. Mine happens about 1 in every 10 times I enter/exit a game.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Anyone of you had any trouble with your credit card information after updating to 3.30? I bought After Burner Climax about a week ago (April 23rd) and it worked just fine then. But when I tried to buy a theme from the PSN store today, Sony gleefully informed me that my credit card information was incorrect. So I tried to update it (even though it was all fine and dandy). But Sony told me 'lol oh no you don't', and kept insisting that the information was wrong. And now I can't update the information at all (I'll have to wait 24 hours). Fuck your stupid, fucking shitty PSN service, Sony. Go die in a fucking napalm fire. Assfaces.

Manp

Plinko said:
I've had the same problem--it's a handshake issue with the television.

i've had exactly the same problem at least a couple of times now and you know what? it never happened even once since launch before the last fw upgrade (that means in the last 3 years, with the same TV mind you).

so if it's an handshake issue it's been introduced in fw 3.30, that's for sure.

:)

Baha

Manp said:
i've had exactly the same problem at least a couple of times now and you know what? it never happened even once since launch before the last fw upgrade (that means in the last 3 years, with the same TV mind you).

Try a different hdmi cable first. If it still persists then it's the fw's fault.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Manp said:

Right--that's what I meant to say :) I had the issue before but it eventually went away with a firmware update.

Now with 3.30 it's back again :(

Raistlin

spwolf said:
secondary audio is now mixed in the bitstream, so for instance commentary works fine now if you bitstream... it is actually good and useful option for people who prefer to bitstream.

Wait ... they're decoding the bitstream to PCM, mixing in the secondary audio ... and then re-encoding to DTS-MA or TrueHD? :lol

sun-drop

ok so my brother just brought a 3d tv ..and i've never heard him so excited to own a ps3 since he brought it.

umm ..so he just plugs it in and the 3d options apear un the display settings?

which games out NOW have 3 d support? MLB The Show? ..how about the demo for the the show?

Withnail

I think the proper 3D gaming firmware is next week, along with the release of the first 3D games. At least that's what some sites are reporting. This 3.30 update was just some behind-the-scenes preparation for 3D.

Nakazato

sun-drop said:
ok so my brother just brought a 3d tv ..and i've never heard him so excited to own a ps3 since he brought it.

umm ..so he just plugs it in and the 3d options apear un the display settings?

which games out NOW have 3 d support? MLB The Show? ..how about the demo for the the show?
3d update should be later this month so hes going to have to wait a lil

spwolf

caligula13 said:
so, with this update i can play video games in 3D but no 3D blu-rays?

there will be another update for that... people living on the edge will need to be a bit patient, games are coming 10th of June...

patsu

The first 3D game is Pain (June 10, I think).

If your brother bought Sony 3DTV, then he should have Motorstorm 3D demo too (Actually 4 3D demo games in total).

3D Blu-ray will come later with the next firmware upgrade.

caligula13

Gold Member
patsu said:
The first 3D game is Pain (June 10, I think).

If your brother bought Sony 3DTV, then he should have Motorstorm 3D demo too (Actually 4 3D demo games in total).

3D Blu-ray will come later with the next firmware upgrade.

and what do you mean with "later with the..."?

this month, in 2,3 months? is there some Sony homepage with updates about that?

are these 4 3D demos only for people who buy Sony TVs?

sun-drop

patsu said:

ahh

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3s to be 3D game compatible with a firmware upgrade prior to the Sony 3D TVs becoming available. A further firmware upgrade to make PS3s 3D BD movie compatible will be made available within 2010.

swet.

bummer tho, so i assume sony are selling 3d ready bluray standalone players, right now. yet ps3 is having to wait ... thats a bit slack. maybe they are trying to sell a few extra standalone players to ealry adoptors

patsu

I think standalone 3D Blu-ray players are still rare and some are more expensive than PS3.

I also heard from a 3D Blu-ray techie that the new spec requires an upgrade in benchmark (Don't quote me though, this is not a reliable source). PS3 should be able to deliver. It's way over-spec'ed. >8^)

patsu said:
I think standalone 3D Blu-ray players are still rare and some are more expensive than PS3.

I also heard from a 3D Blu-ray techie that the new spec requires an upgrade in benchmark (Don't quote me though, this is not a reliable source). PS3 should be able to deliver. It's way over-spec'ed. >8^)

they're probably holding back the 3d blu-ray spec to give stand alone manufacturers some breathing room.

I don't think there will be another firmware update to enable 3D gaming, that's what 3.30 was for and the June 10 thing was misinterpreted by some news websites.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/05/31/ps3_3d_date_set/

On the 10th there will be PATCHES for the PSN games PAIN, WipEout HD and Super Stardust HD.
But this was announced by SCEJ, so it's not clear of we will receive the game updates as well on this day. The MotorStorm PR 3D demo bundle with a Bravia should also be a Japanese deal.

as for 3D movies, I don't think there are any 3D Blu-rays yet anyway (at least for this new 3DTV standard?) or am I wrong?

DryvBy

I don't get these updates sometime. If they really want to sort the trophies, make it where I don't have to look at PSN titles vs. retail titles. Sort it like that.

I'm hoping the Premium package sucks as far as sales and they do what Microsoft had to do on the PC: give their "premium" service to everyone for free after a few months. Group/Cross Chat + Autosyncing Trophies would be all the rage!

iceatcs

Suzzopher said:
You want to delete cross-game chat?
It would be the best thing in my life, 360 need it. I can't play online random very well because people more likely kick/quit me out for I cannot use voice chat.

patsu

Psykotik said:
there's the monsters vs aliens 3D bluray. but i think it only comes bundled with samsung 3DTVs for now.

Yap, and Avatar 3D is rumored to arrive in November 2010 but exclusive to Panasonic TVs. Sony TV has the 4 3D games, and "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" movie.

EDIT:
°°ToMmY°° said:
they're probably holding back the 3d blu-ray spec to give stand alone manufacturers some breathing room.

Possibly, but if you think about it. In Japan at least, the upgraded PlayTV/Torne allows the user to do AVC recording and watching Blu-ray at the same time. I wonder if they can still be used in parallel with 3D Blu-ray. Blu-ray playback was (is ?) one of the most power consuming activities on the PS3.

sun-drop

looks like the 3d update to superstardust is avil early, as in now ..

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/06/05/3dtv-enabled-super-stardust-hd-turns-up-early-on-uk-psn/

A few UK PlayStation 3 gamers have found they already have access to the 3D version of Super Stardust HD, reporting it "looks gorgeous" and (presumably thanks to the recent update) automatically adjusts the TV to the proper settings and prompts the player to slip on their shutter glasses. While the PSN store only shows a few updates, if you already have the game (and a 3DTV, of course) deleting it and redownloading should nab the new version. Of course, if 2D is the way to play we'd recommend holding off as a few have reported the new edition is limited to 720p resolution only, instead of the original 1080p. While that might be necessary to keep everything exploding smoothly in 3D at 60 frames per second, per eye, we're sure existing HDTV owners would appreciate every pixel they can get, so until we get some official release notes we'd leave this to the early adopting glasses wearers only.

Schrade

sun-drop said:
looks like the 3d update to superstardust is avil early, as in now ..

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/06/05/3dtv-enabled-super-stardust-hd-turns-up-early-on-uk-psn/

A few UK PlayStation 3 gamers have found they already have access to the 3D version of Super Stardust HD, reporting it "looks gorgeous" and (presumably thanks to the recent update) automatically adjusts the TV to the proper settings and prompts the player to slip on their shutter glasses. While the PSN store only shows a few updates, if you already have the game (and a 3DTV, of course) deleting it and redownloading should nab the new version. Of course, if 2D is the way to play we'd recommend holding off as a few have reported the new edition is limited to 720p resolution only, instead of the original 1080p. While that might be necessary to keep everything exploding smoothly in 3D at 60 frames per second, per eye, we're sure existing HDTV owners would appreciate every pixel they can get, so until we get some official release notes we'd leave this to the early adopting glasses wearers only.
The thread was posted here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397262

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
i just want to know if theres a cheap way to jump in with 3d on ps3. like a 24" lcd with 3d support.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Psykotik said:
i think 3DTV's only come in sizes 40", 46", 55" and above.
yeah thats what ive noticed so far. it sucks. computer gamers can buy a cheaper 20+" monitor and the nvidia glasses and have 3d for cheap. but ps3 owners gotta cough up a couple thousand to join.

why can't some company just sell a smaller tv with glasses. :'(

jett

D-Member
Bad_Boy said:
i just want to know if theres a cheap way to jump in with 3d on ps3. like a 24" lcd with 3d support.

There are 3D monitors, but as far as I know those work by using two video inputs at once. At least that's how Nvidia's 3D method does it. I doubt the PS3 will be working with them...or who knows, maybe.

Top Bottom