• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 3.30 System Software Update (3D, trophy sorting, taunting Dragona)

Firewire

Banned
I'm buying a 3D T.V. this year, after witnessing a demo of a real soccer game in 3D I'm sold on it.

Look forward to trying out some games especially SSHD(3D).

stupei

Stumpokapow said:
this thread is really bad because >50% of the posts are literally "let us do what the 360 does".

I was under the impression that the argument in favorite of Playstation Move is that in theory Sony is taking what Nintendo does best and trying to improve upon it. I don't know why it's surprising that people might wish for Sony to do the same with some of the best features of the 360.

TheSeks said:
I have played both of those games. And it's still a horrible clunky and mismanaged thing. The join button is a game-by-game basis, just like cross-invites.

They need to make it unified. If you're going to use cross-game invites, the "join" button and messages should be better included/thought out.

It's far too late in the game this generation for them to make it mandatory, what with how many different systems (Bio5/MW2,BC2) in place for the same damn thing. :/

What do you mean by unified? You can already accept the invites from MW2 and BF:BC2 in whatever game you're playing...

And how can they 'include' the 'Join' button better than how they did it now? It's next to the 'Reply' button, you can't miss it. The only thing they could do is - like I and others said before - add a special icon so invites will be recognized as invites, and make it easier to instantly view your invitation (by pressing the PS button when the notification appears).

And no, it isn't too late to make it mandatory for all FUTURE games. They did the same with trophies. All games that were released after December 31, 2009 were required to have trophies.

If they would do this, all multiplayer games that are released after 'xx-xx-xxxx' (the date set by Sony) will have cross-game invites. And like with trophies, some developers will go and patch this into their older - but still popular - games as well.

But hey, maybe this is exactly what Sony is planning on doing with their Premium service(s). It would certainly be a wise thing to do.

iceatcs

stupei said:
I was under the impression that the argument in favorite of Playstation Move is that in theory Sony is taking what Nintendo does best and trying to improve upon it. I don't know why it's surprising that people might wish for Sony to do the same with some of the best features of the 360.
Maybe they do, but I could tell it is long developing term. PSN is Sony first online network service.

I dunno if it will be ready on PS3 or maybe it will be in rumour of PSN premium for voice chat etc..
I'm sure Sony won't miss it out on PS4 or maybe next PSP too.

jonabbey

Since 3.15 (or before?), the PS3 has been able to send reports to Sony when the system hangs / crashes.

Unless the firmware team has been spending all of their time on PSN Premium, I imagine 3.30 incorporates a number of fixes that Sony has identified since they put the crash dump utility in the OS.

I'd expect the web browser to be much more stable now, at least.

flyover

ElFly said:
Can you finally disable trophies?
That's what I want. Or, more accurately, I want to be able to disable trophy notifications. I don't care about the trophies themselves, one way or the other. At least the FF XIII and Heavy Rain devs were smart about making the notifications unobtrusive.

Nizz

I love that I can list my trophies in alphabetical order now. Battlefield 1943 is the only title I have a 100% on and it's at the top of the list. :lol

Good to hear Youtube is working ok as well. Never watched it much since the browser used to just freeze and I'd have to restart the console.

Chrono

Banned
flyover said:
That's what I want. Or, more accurately, I want to be able to disable trophy notifications. I don't care about the trophies themselves, one way or the other. At least the FF XIII and Heavy Rain devs were smart about making the notifications unobtrusive.

Heh, I came here to ask about this. Guess it's still not fixed? :(

It's really annoying, takes you out of the experience to have those notes pop in with dumb descriptions of what you just did in the game.

Sapiens

InfiniteNine said:
Since the BC for the PS3 was updated, is this a sign of things to come?

Probably means nothing. The box that the joystick came in advertised PSone/Ps2 support, so Hori likely applied for compatibility within the next firmware.

xclaw

Sapiens said:
Probably means nothing. The box that the joystick came in advertised PSone/Ps2 support, so Hori likely applied for compatibility within the next firmware.

I wish Matcatz would do this. Still got my fingers crossed tho, will be checking the TE stick tonight unless someone does it before I get home.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
magicaltrevor said:
What do you mean by unified? You can already accept the invites from MW2 and BF:BC2 in whatever game you're playing....

The invite system should work across ALL games the exact same way. I shouldn't have to work with a developers different way (sup, Bio5) from most of the others (Sup, BC2/MW2).

They need to UNIFY the game-invite rules and say "You need the join button, you need to make sure it is stated as a game invite."

And no, they aren't going to do it. If Sony mandates it this late (three four years into the PS3?) in the game, I'll be surprised. That ship sailed when PSN launched and they had to make developers fragment the invite system since there wasn't a basic/unified ruleset for the invite system.

Axiom

My PS3 really doesn't want to download this update. Just staying on 0%.

Are the updates kept on different servers? Thinking it might work if I signed into my US ID

Edit: That's totally worked

TheSeks said:
The invite system should work across ALL games the exact same way. I shouldn't have to work with a developers different way (sup, Bio5) from most of the others (Sup, BC2/MW2).

They need to UNIFY the game-invite rules and say "You need the join button, you need to make sure it is stated as a game invite."

And no, they aren't going to do it. If Sony mandates it this late (three four years into the PS3?) in the game, I'll be surprised. That ship sailed when PSN launched and they had to make developers fragment the invite system since there wasn't a basic/unified ruleset for the invite system.

Yeah... Well, we'll see.
It's nice that the option is there now, at least.

I hope all developers will pick it up like Infinity Ward did with MW2.

I want to be able to alphabetize my PSone games. Having say RE3 in one spot and then RE2 away from it several spots or so annoys the fucking crap out of me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
TheSeks said:

They can mandate it this late into the game. And I doubt the devs would bitch about it.

Because by mandating it, Sony would have to implement it into the reserved memory pool and not by forcing devs to lose any memory. So if Sony came and said here are the tools, the system is ready all you need is these hooks into your game (much like trophies) without sacrificing any memory or resources, then devs would use it rather than spend time and make their own and budget it into their system.

The problem is whether Sony is willing to develop such a system at this point. And I think they should, if nothing else as a test bed for the PS4 and that way be able to force all these various things from day one on the next system.

AndyD said:
They can mandate it this late into the game. And I doubt the devs would bitch about it.

Because by mandating it, Sony would have to implement it into the reserved memory pool and not by forcing devs to lose any memory. So if Sony came and said here are the tools, the system is ready all you need is these hooks into your game (much like trophies) without sacrificing any memory or resources, then devs would use it rather than spend time and make their own and budget it into their system.

The problem is whether Sony is willing to develop such a system at this point. And I think they should, if nothing else as a test bed for the PS4 and that way be able to force all these various things from day one on the next system.

IT'S ALREADY THERE (see previous pages/posts and check out Modern Warfare 2 on PS3).

The feature exists. It doesn't require extra memory. And if it does, it's not more than 0.5 MB.

Firewire said:
I'm buying a 3D T.V. this year, after witnessing a demo of a real soccer game in 3D I'm sold on it.

I'm waiting on my 3D TV until all the standards are set. I learned my lesson by buying a 30 inch CRT HDTV for $1,200 that didn't have 720p nor HDMI because they weren't standard at the time. Now pretty much every game for the PS3 on that TV plays in 480p even though it's an HDTV and every other HD device works with it.

Buying new tech early is very... very risky.

JWong

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
how many people use PS3 Linux?

how many people have a 3D TV?

yeah, they introduced an even more niche feature than the one they removed...
I think it's a bit shortsighted to say that 3D won't hit mass market.

Unfortunately, people will be buying them because it's the next big thing.

AndyD

aka andydumi
magicaltrevor said:
IT'S ALREADY THERE (see previous pages/posts and check out Modern Warfare 2 on PS3).

The feature exists. It doesn't require extra memory. And if it does, it's not more than 0.5 MB.

I meant as a mandatory option. I know MW2 and other games use it. I meant its not too late to make it mandatory. Especially since the system has a good few years of life left.

And what we have is still not feature complete like some want. With quick join buttons on the alert itself and whatnot. Its still somewhat clunky.

-viper-

Banned
JWong said:
I think it's a bit shortsighted to say that 3D won't hit mass market.

Unfortunately, people will be buying them because it's the next big thing.
3D HD could be awesome. But I don't want it now because I fear it will hamper the games.

Apparently Killzone 3 will be in 3D with Move.

That means it will take a significant graphical hit. I don't care about this stuff now, simply because the system isn't designed for it. If they want to bring 3D, then they should force you to buy a second PS3. That would be a great idea IMO.

Link 2 PS3s to play in full HD 3D.

AndyD said:
I meant as a mandatory option. I know MW2 and other games use it. I meant its not too late to make it mandatory. Especially since the system has a good few years of life left.

And what we have is still not feature complete like some want. With quick join buttons on the alert itself and whatnot. Its still somewhat clunky.

Yeah, but they can add those things later on.
The basics of the feature are done and are working how they should work.

Now is the time for Sony to either make it mandatory, or really point it out to developers that the feature is available and that it's the preffered way of handling invites/joining friends.

U2NUMB

Over at my brothers house and I think he was behind in updates... not this one but the last.. his slim is stuck at 99% installing and from what I can tell on the web Sony will tell him to send it in.

Seriously annoying..

ScrubJay

Is this downloading excruciatingly slow for anyone else? I started an hour ago and it's at 43%. Almost makes me want to do it by USB stick, which I haven't done for 6 months out of laziness.

ScrubJay said:
Is this downloading excruciatingly slow for anyone else? I started an hour ago and it's at 43%. Almost makes me want to do it by USB stick, which I haven't done for 6 months out of laziness.

Downloaded quicker than normal for me last night, weird.

xclaw

Just tested and I can confirm the Madcatz TE stick is still not ps2 bc compatible.

Who do we have to harass to get this working one day? Madcatz says to talk to Sony, Sony says to talk to Madcatz..... but hoo boy I am so happy my trophies can be sorted......

/rant

I'm I missing something about trophy sorting?
They add reverse standard order and alphabetically, it that it? who cares?
I thought at least I could sort by completion, I don't even see a reason for other sorting options.

-PXG-

For the love of God, tell me TE sticks will work with PS2 games now. Please say yes.

EDIT

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Turfster

Well, skipping the previous OtherOS-killer still gives the "We're gonna kill your OtherOS, fuck you" message when it loads the 3.30 update data, so yeah, don't trust random gizmodo comments =p

Baki

Firewire said:

Got a LED TV in January thinking there was no point waiting for 3D. Regretting it slightly now.

Freak

The trophy sorting options seem a bit pointless tbh, if they want to add some good trophy support why dont they just mirror what they're doing on the pc side of 'my psn' id love to have all that functionality actually on my PS3 and not have to check the pc to see how im ranked with my friends, and who out of my friends list i can look up for a games we all share.

BobTheFork said:
I thought at least I could sort by completion, I don't even see a reason for other sorting options.

you have more sorting options in the actual trophy list of a game, but yeah, the overall game title list needs a sort by completion and an option to compare all trophies with ALL your friends at once (or at least how you compare in one selected game against all your friends).

btw. if they can't sync trophies automatically, they should at least add an option to automate the current syncing process. e.g. an option to sync every time you return to the XMB or when you connect to PSN etc.

lljride

BobTheFork said:

That's what I was hoping for as well. I like alphabetical order a little more than the standard last played, but without being able to sort by completion it's pretty worthless.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/24/ps3-firmware-3-30-sneaks-in-remote-play-from-pc-bitstream-audio/

If you're the kind of person who loves (or hates) their beeps and bloops, there's a toggle for Bitstream Direct (output audio with the original digital signal prioritized) or Mix (mixed with sound effects such as button sounds and then converted to bitstream format) on Blu-ray movies, while future VAIO PC owners can get a taste of remote play without any PSP intermediary. Other, unconfirmed, reports include updated Flash compatibility, enhanced region free Blu-ray movie playback, the usual complaints of bricked or otherwise busted consoles as well as erroneous claims of an updated EULA that maintains Sony can update your PS3 whenever it wants (newsflash - it's always said that.)

androvsky

oversensitive said:
Interesting.

Somebody else on gaf said that if you skipped the 3.21 update, the 3.30 update still goes through the whole "we're going to nuke your linux install" warning screens, and indeed still removes the option.

edit: Somebody further up on this very page said otherwise:

Well, skipping the previous OtherOS-killer still gives the "We're gonna kill your OtherOS, fuck you" message when it loads the 3.30 update data, so yeah, don't trust random gizmodo comments =p

leroidys

So is remote play actually worth anything? I checked the wikipedia article and the list is extremely short, and all games I would rather play on my ps3.

Schrade

leroidys said:
So is remote play actually worth anything? I checked the wikipedia article and the list is extremely short, and all games I would rather play on my ps3.
Let's say you're at work and want to queue up some new download from the PSN store so when you get home you can play it immediately - you can do that via RemotePlay.

You can also play PS1 games remotely and also some PS3 and PSN games. So if you're traveling, you can still access them.

You can also stream videos on your PS3. So let's say you're traveling and your PS3 at home has a bunch of video and audio on it or is connected to another PC at your house via PS3 Media Server. Well, you'd be able to access and stream ALL of that remotely to your PSP or now, a VAIO laptop. You can also use the open source Remote Play stuff right now on any PC or Mac.

Top Bottom