• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 3.30 System Software Update (3D, trophy sorting, taunting Dragona)

Doel

Anyone else having issues with the install?

It was the longest install I've had for a firmware, and I was stuck at 99% for about 5min then it gave me an error code and told me to restart. And its not turning off, just blinking blue. I'm afraid to unplug it...

patsu

The Faceless Master said:
how many people use PS3 Linux?

how many people have a 3D TV?

yeah, they introduced an even more niche feature than the one they removed...

Actually, there may be more 3d ready dlp users than ps3 Linux users today.

On top of that, 3d tv is forecasted to ship 1.5 million units this year alone. Panasonic sold all their first batch of 3d plasma tv recently and have ramp up 3dtv production.

I love ps3 Linux but it hasn't really gathered much momentum all these years. Ironically Sony probably generated much more consumer hype for ps3 linux with firmware 3.21.

Doel said:

It was the longest install I've had for a firmware, and I was stuck at 99% for about 5min then it gave me an error code and told me to restart. And its not turning off, just blinking blue. I'm afraid to unplug it...
and now, with the "update may have bricked my PS3" post, the thread is complete.

Truespeed

Trailblaster said:
To be fair truespeed most of the improvments are SDK , optimization and stability related.

I know a lot of people like giving Sony shit over firmware issues abut it's not like they can just go pick OS code from the Code tree. The Firmware team has to figure out a way to Make the PS3 do more while try to make everything run more efficient with out braking compatability with exsisting software. At the same time working around legal issues and patent laws.

Speaking as someone thats had a PS3 since 2006 the improvments in added features, XMB speed , web brower stability have been amazing. And it hasn't cost me an additional dime. If all Sony's going to ask from me is 5 to 10 minutes of my time every few months and I'm going cut them a little slack.

If most of the updates are simply improvements to the SDK then why don't they just update the modified libraries and the files that link to those libraries? It's the equivalent of replacing Windows 7 with an updated version of Windows 7 each and every time Microsoft issues a patch. As for compatibility testing, I would hope their automated unit tests (if they have any and I'm beginning to doubt that they do) would be able to detect any errors introduced by new code. They should stick to quarterly updates and try and revise their patching strategy - hey that would be a great idea for their feature blog that they ignore.

Doel said:

I'm not even there yet, it's taking ages to download, currently at 21%. Hopefully everything's alright with your system.
Fakedit: Cool to hear your system is fine.

-PXG- said:
Cross game voice chat? Uh...no. Plus, I want a XBL-esque universal invite system.
well, to be fair, the original statement didn't specify voice.

also, a universal invite system would have to be there from the start or require every online game to be patched.

Azerach said:
So you are just being a girly girl about it >___>
what's that supposed to mean?

ZeroRay

-PXG- said:
Cross game voice chat? Uh...no. Plus, I want a XBL-esque universal invite system.

It has an Invite system like that. Only game that uses it and the "join game" feature is Modern Warfare 2.

Can't be universal since I don't think all devs are gonna patch it in but they better make it mandatory for all games for now on.

ZeroRay said:
It has an Invite system like that. Only game that uses it and the "join game" feature is Modern Warfare 2.

Can't be universal since I don't think all devs are gonna patch it in but they better make it mandatory for all games for now on.
did you miss the word "universal" in there?

-PXG- said:
I think it's safe to say that both consoles are different, and the Playstation 3 will never be fully like the Xbox 360 in features. Demanding stuff has worked so far, but I think some stuff is difficult to implement at such a late stage in the console's life.

Trailblaster said:
To be fair truespeed most of the improvments are SDK , optimization and stability related.

I know a lot of people like giving Sony shit over firmware issues abut it's not like they can just go pick OS code from the Code tree. The Firmware team has to figure out a way to Make the PS3 do more while try to make everything run more efficient with out braking compatability with exsisting software. At the same time working around legal issues and patent laws.

Speaking as someone thats had a PS3 since 2006 the improvments in added features, XMB speed , web brower stability have been amazing. And it hasn't cost me an additional dime. If all Sony's going to ask from me is 5 to 10 minutes of my time every few months and I'm going cut them a little slack.
I missed this post earlier - this is all true, but there haven't been any SIGNIFICANT features added since firmware 2.70, which came out over a year ago. Unless you count playable minis, trophy sorting, Facebook integration, or the assorted cosmetic features that came with 3.00 (dynamic themes, what's new, omfg clock fix), Sony's seriously slowed down on added features within the last year, and people have every right to complain about that.

ON THE OTHER HAND, the firmware team HAS, however, shrunk the OS footprint even more (and that fairly recently), from what I've heard - and no current games are using that additional RAM. And THOSE changes - the shrunken memory footprint - end up having the greatest effect on the end-user because they have a direct effect on the games that we play.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
You can now turn a game's trophy list into some kind of folder, that includes different lists for the game and each DLC. Only works for Uncharted 2, though :p

It's cool, I guess.

Ranger X

ZeroRay said:

Motorstorm Pacifict Rift also use it.
Problem is indeed not that we need an invite system, the problem is to make the devs to actually USE it.

The most awesome PS3 features aren't mandatory in the dev guidelines for approval and therefore this results in the devs/publishers not seeing the value in there:

-Screenshot feature right from the buffer
-You tube upload
-Invite/Join system.

So yeah, people should blame the lousy Sony devellopment guidelines because IT IS the real reason.

androvsky

badcrumble said:
I missed this post earlier - this is all true, but there haven't been any SIGNIFICANT features added since firmware 2.70, which came out over a year ago. Unless you count playable minis, trophy sorting, Facebook integration, or the assorted cosmetic features that came with 3.00 (dynamic themes, what's new, omfg clock fix), Sony's seriously slowed down on added features within the last year, and people have every right to complain about that.

ON THE OTHER HAND, the firmware team HAS, however, shrunk the OS footprint even more (and that fairly recently), from what I've heard - and no current games are using that additional RAM. And THOSE changes - the shrunken memory footprint - end up having the greatest effect on the end-user because they have a direct effect on the games that we play.

As I recall, the recent memory reduction story was a poorly written story that lumped together a couple years worth of memory footprint improvements on a slow news day.

However, playable Minis appears to be more of a preview of a full PSP emulator, so that's some progress on something that could be pretty useful.

Grooski

Banned
badcrumble said:
Sony's seriously slowed down on added features within the last year, and people have every right to complain about that.

Bullshit. You dont have any validity in whinging about features that appear on one system and not on another. Request, yes. Fucking demand? No.

how many people use PS3 Linux?

how many people have a 3D TV?

yeah, they introduced an even more niche feature than the one they removed...

Yeah I gues...How many people use trophies?...oh, wait.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
badcrumble said:
Sony's seriously slowed down on added features within the last year, and people have every right to complain about that.

What?? Even if the updates and new features suck you're acting like we have a right to be provided stuff! Is it in the manual or something that says Sony HAS to update the PS3 at all? How comes no one complained like this on past consoles "zomg why can't my PS2 store music like my XBOX????" ???

Grooski said:
Bullshit. You dont have any validity in whinging about features that appear on one system and not on another. Request, yes. Fucking demand? No.

good point, trophies are another forced thing. even in this very thread, people complain and want an option to turn them off, yet sony forces them!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
BocoDragon said:
Is custom firmware still coming? That would make everyone happy (except Sony)

Who knows. Even then it requires 3.15. Which makes it two updates behind.

As much as I hate to lose Linux support, I rather continue to play Bad Company 2 online instead of dicking around offline. Sorry, but online networks have a hold on me since last generation. :lol

WHOOSH. Goes the point over your head.

He means the 3D support

Ranger X said:
Motorstorm Pacifict Rift also use it.
Problem is indeed not that we need an invite system, the problem is to make the devs to actually USE it.

The most awesome PS3 features aren't mandatory in the dev guidelines for approval and therefore this results in the devs/publishers not seeing the value in there:

-Screenshot feature right from the buffer
-You tube upload
-Invite/Join system.

So yeah, people should blame the lousy Sony devellopment guidelines because IT IS the real reason.

Support of these features should be standard for every single first party published title. Lead by example and all that.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I can sympathize with you Dragona, but man oh man oh MAN that is some hilarious irony. Sweet, sweet, sweet irony. (if it's true, obviously). :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

edit: but seriously, I'm sorry. :( :| :p

Dragon

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Support of these features should be standard for every single first party published title. Lead by example and all that.

I doubt we'll get even THAT until the PS4 sadly enough.

TheSeks said:
Who knows. Even then it requires 3.15. Which makes it two updates behind.

As much as I hate to lose Linux support, I rather continue to play Bad Company 2 online instead of dicking around offline. Sorry, but online networks have a hold on me since last generation. :lol

WHOOSH. Goes the point over your head.

He means the 3D support
good thing i have BC2 on 360 as well...

TheSeks

OldJadedGamer said:

ThisisNeoGAFSCEDude.gif, they won't force their developers to do shit. (As much as we would like them too, "stifles creative freedom" and all)

Biohazard/Resident Evil 5 has the base-cross/game XMB invite option. HOWEVER, the option still sucks shit as it a) puts the title of the game in instead of "<Player> wishes to play with you!" b) the subject limit doesn't even let A happen and c) You have to fumble into the XMB->Hover over the the players name->Triangle->Accept invite (at least for Bio5, MW2 is slightly different, IIRC). Which is clunky.

The message should announce itself as a game invite AND have the option to join a la XBL's same message system.

The only time I should have to XMB->User->Triangle->Join is if I want to "Join a game in progress" with the player a la XBL.

Sadly, they haven't even gotten THAT feature into PSN yet.

(B-B-BUT CROSS GAME CHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT, LOLZ)

Faceless said:
>>BC2 360<<

Yeah, if I had the ability (I don't), I'd double dip (and probably renew my XBL subscription in November. *sigh*) and wait for the CFW. But at this point as much as I hate to lose the feature, I don't really use it (though I was going to use it when the PS4/PSN for PS3 shutted down, Sony you fucks)

The way I see it, GeoHot isn't going to make a CFW for a long time. He may have it out this summer, but by then he'll be... five-six firmwares behind given how Sony's reactionary on even the WHIFF of a hack.

It's like Team-GEN taking forever to update to 6.00 or above Firmware the Sony has on the PSP. Those of us on the CFW side are stuck at 5.50 and can't use features that Sony has (like the store and comic reader and...). Frankly, after seeing that scene stagnate, I can't see GeoHot doing this shit for long and in a timely manner. Sorry, but Sony wins my mindshare on that.

TheSeks said:
ThisisNeoGAFSCEDude.gif, they won't force their developers to do shit. (As much as we would like them too, "stifles creative freedom" and all)

Biohazard/Resident Evil 5 has the base-cross/game XMB invite option. HOWEVER, the option still sucks shit as it a) puts the title of the game in instead of "<Player> wishes to play with you!" b) the subject limit doesn't even let A happen and c) You have to fumble into the XMB->Hover over the the players name->Triangle->Accept invite (at least for Bio5, MW2 is slightly different, IIRC). Which is clunky.

The message should announce itself as a game invite AND have the option to join a la XBL's same message system.

The only time I should have to XMB->User->Triangle->Join is if I want to "Join a game in progress" with the player a la XBL.

i'd say cross game chat is more important, but more importantly, it relies solely on Sony, cross game invites would reqire sony *and* developer support.

TheSeks said:

Weren't Trophies voluntary at first then became mandatory?

TheSeks said:

Yeah, cross-game invites are there, but the implementation of them sucks horrendously. The hooks are all there so I don't blame game devs, but it's clear that Sony doesn't really care about the feature. There's also stuff like an in-game music player that was in the debug firmware a while ago and worked in basically every game that never made it to users; it's a badly-kept secret that the debug firmware has had cross-game voice chat since 2.70 or 2.80 last year (which is either 12.5 months or about 8 months ago, depending on which firmware it arrived with). There's plenty that Sony could do practically overnight to seriously improve their firmware and their licensing requirements. Buuuuut they don't. If it's any consolation, the PS4 is fairly likely to have all this stuff nailed down right from the start. We'll see.

TheSeks

OldJadedGamer said:

They only became mandatory because of the 360 users flocking to the PS3 (well, eventually, there was a squeaky wheel minority) and even then it's for titles coming out. XMB/cross-game invites have been in the firmware for a good year or two now. Sony hasn't forced it, most players don't give a shit. It isn't going to happen, IMO. As much as I would love it to over Cross-Chat.

Faceless said:
>>Cross Chat<<

That's splitting hairs. To me it's a useless fucking feature (for obvious reasons to most of you on GAF at least, I hope). For others, it's a godsend for leisure. I'm all for it, but frankly the cross-game invite is already there. Which leads to:

cross game invites would reqire sony *and* developer support.

Yes and no. The support by Sony is there. Developers supporting it is few and far between. Which is weird as AFAIK it only requires a firmware and no huge hack to get it running?

Edit: And I was mostly talking about the "Join Session in Progress" feature, the cross-game invite option is already there in the firmware. Where the hell is my "Join session" feature? I should be able to choose if I want to join someone on my list, be told to insert the game and have PSN take me to that players game (if there is an open slot).

OldJadedGamer said:
exactly. sony 'could' force devs to support custom soundtracks or screenshots or youtube ... or even voice chat. man i still can't believe MKII is still selling so well on the PSN and they haven't even done a simple voice chat update for it.

TheSeks said:
They only became mandatory because of the 360 users flocking to the PS3 (well, eventually, there was a squeaky wheel minority) and even then it's for titles coming out. XMB/cross-game invites have been in the firmware for a good year or two now. Sony hasn't forced it, most players don't give a shit. It isn't going to happen, IMO. As much as I would love it to over Cross-Chat.
i recall people asking for crossgame voicechat and invites forever and initially being AGAINST trophies and saying to add crossgame voicechat and invites instead...

That's splitting hairs. To me it's a useless fucking feature (for obvious reasons to most of you on GAF at least, I hope). For others, it's a godsend for leisure. I'm all for it, but frankly the cross-game invite is already there. Which leads to:
true, and i'm guessing you're too not broken up about no custom soundtrack support either :( the worst part of BFBC2 is when you're in the game's main menu, the custom soundtrack option works!!! but as soon as you start a game... nada.

WTF DICE?
Yes and no. The support by Sony is there. Developers supporting it is few and far between. Which is weird as AFAIK it only requires a firmware and no huge hack to get it running?
lazy devs.

exactly. sony 'could' force devs to support custom soundtracks or screenshots or youtube ... or even voice chat. man i still can't believe MKII is still selling so well on the PSN and they haven't even done a simple voice chat update for it.

That was my point. Sony can do whatever they want. They write the TRC's and they can require whatever they want when they want if they feel it's for the good of the system. Trophies was a perfect example of Sony adding something and requiring all devs to support it or they don't pass cert. Saying they can't or won't is naive.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Didn't devs on here said before the music/screens/recording takes up RAM? Thats prolly why Sony don't force it and "lazy devs" won't use it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
badcrumble said:
I just tested it and they seem to have fixed the region-free EU Blu-Ray problem. It works with my LIFE Blu-Ray, at any rate.
Oh man. :lol

I proposed that it could have happened with the last update, missed it by one.
That's crazy.

But I'm glad I shouldn't worry about which BDs I import again.

TheSeks

OldJadedGamer said:
That was my point. Sony can do whatever they want. They write the TRC's and they can require whatever they want when they want if they feel it's for the good of the system. Trophies was a perfect example of Sony adding something and requiring all devs to support it or they don't pass cert. Saying they can't or won't is naive.

How many people actually care about the cross-game invite option, no seriously. I (and you two) are probably the only people that care. Why? Because it wasn't in the PSN firmware/OS/whatever in the first damn place so developers have split/factioned their services to their particular game series/games and it's become a huge mess.

Yeah, they could force it. But most people don't care and developers aren't going to suddenly use it overnight. (Plus it would take like... six months to start rolling out, didn't it take just as long for mandatory trophies?)

Anyway:

Me said:
Edit: And I was mostly talking about the "Join Session in Progress" feature, the cross-game invite option is already there in the firmware. Where the hell is my "Join session" feature? I should be able to choose if I want to join someone on my list, be told to insert the game and have PSN take me to that players game (if there is an open slot).

I rather have that over cross-game chat, TBH. But for the most part this is nulled because (most, anyway) games have the option to join a session in progress in their PS3 game menus. However, it would be nice for sake of convenience to have a spot reserved for me as I put the disc in and have the game boot/skip menus and join the game in progress.

true, and i'm guessing you're too not broken up about no custom soundtrack support either :( the worst part of BFBC2 is when you're in the game's main menu, the custom soundtrack option works!!! but as soon as you start a game... nada.

WTF DICE?

EA's like the only company that cares about the PS3's custom soundtracks. BC2 and Burnout Paradise are like the only games to support it. :lol (But if what you say is true, only BP allows it in multiplayer matches)

Just got emailed a new PSN EULA, version 6.0, taking effect, er, yesterday (the 21st). It mentions some service called Qriocity a whole lot, and that seems new. I'm betting that has to do with the MLB stuff.

ZeroRay

badcrumble said:
Just got emailed a new PSN EULA, version 6.0, taking effect, er, yesterday (the 21st). It mentions some service called Qriocity a whole lot, and that seems new. I'm betting that has to do with the MLB stuff.

So I guess they're adding this.

I have my downloaded games on PS3 sorted by System. What I really want is to be able to alter the order in more ways than it gives me. Why can't I put them alphabetically in the folders?

Top Bottom