• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Bricked, Need Help

So I tried to turn on my PS3 today, it's been a month since I last used it. It turned on, green light... But nothing happens.

It's a fat PS3, 80GB model (upgraded to 1TB), 2009.

The symptoms:

Turns on to green light from standby.
No video or audio output (HDMI).
No HDD indicator activity.
No noise from HDD or the console itself other than the fan. It beeps on startup though.
Disc drive and touch buttons work.
Won't reset video-output.
Won't enter safe-mode/recovery-mode.
Controller won't connect, or charge from USB.

What I've tried:

Pressing and holding the power-button to enter safe mode. It beeps once, starts up (green light and fan), then beeps once more as it turns off. None of the beep for video-reset and no double-beep for safe-mode, I've used it several times before so I know what it should be like.

Turning it off and on again. Using both the front and rear button.

Unplugging it.

Changing HDD.

Removing HDD and starting it with an empty bay. (Should force safe-mode)

Changing the HDMI cable

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

I've never modded it, or installed custom firmware.

I've replaced the HDD twice, the current should be less than 2 years old.

It's not been moved since I last used it.

I've not been at home with it for the month, and it could potentially have been a victim of a recent lighting strike that killed the neighbors router. I don't know for sure, since I have a month window of opportunity for it to get broken. It's not been turned on though, and the rear power switch has been turned off.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

I'm going to try it again tomorrow, but has anyone experienced anything similar?

Is my trusty, phat, PS3 dead for good as I fear?

If this is the wrong forum, or if there's already a thread for this (which I couldn't find), then I apologize.

Looks like you've pretty much exhausted your options. The only other thing I can think of is to try and running on standard composite/component video signals. Maybe your hdmi port is bitched. But honestly it sounds like the console's given up the ghost.

Foxix Von

Looks like you've pretty much exhausted your options. The only other thing I can think of is to try and running on standard composite/component video signals. Maybe your hdmi port is bitched. But honestly it sounds like the console's given up the ghost.

Possibly that or the HDMI cable itself is defective. It'd be worth trying out a connection over component/composite or a different HDMI cable. Although you would still expect some hard drive activity.

panda-zebra

Banned

Had to resort to this a couple of times with my old fat ps3.

arttq

Pretty weird that I have this same exact problem today. I also tried with composite video cables but still could not get picture.

Possibly that or the HDMI cable itself is defective. It'd be worth trying out a connection over component/composite or a different HDMI cable. Although you would still expect some hard drive activity.

I forgot to add; I have tried a different HDMI cable. I've not tried component, because I couldn't find the AV cables. But I'm very confident that's not the issue.

Knuf

OP, I'm in your same boat, except my PS3 was a launch Japanese 60gb model.
Sometime ago I tried contacting JP Sony support and this is a copy+paste of what they told me to try:
***Reset the Display Setting***

1. Please turn off the Power of PlayStation 3(PS3).
2. Press and hold the power button for more than 5 seconds until the PS3 will beep.
3. Please hold on the button for another 5 seconds until the second beep sound.
4. After the above procedure, the Display Setting of PS3 should be adjusted to fit your monitor.

Personally I haven't found the time to check these out as my fatty PS3 is packed somewhere in the basement, but could be worth a try, if you haven't already: Sony support were pretty clear though that if those steps didn't work I'm now completely out of luck, since repair service for launch PS3 models has been terminated. ;_;

arttq

It seems that the problem is similar to ylod. That means the only solution is reballing and even then it's not a permanent solution. I guess it's time to say goodbye to my ps3.

Top Bottom