• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 custom soundtrack support is coming in the next firmware?

Kinan

It seems that demo PS3s at E3 were running with updated firmware that allows choosing custom music of your HDD:

4p1trau.jpg

According to evilempire@PS3forums:

At ALL the E3 machines that I checked I can confirm this was shown on Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, LittleBigPlanet, PSN High Poker, Assassins Creed, L.A.I.R., Singstar. I can pretty much say, that most of the machines had it and weren't game specific.

I'd say for Singstar its pretty stupid, but it indeed seems that the support will become mandatory for all games. Would be nice if anyone of our E3 gaffers
or devs :p
can confirm or debunk it.

P.S. So, when is our next expected date for 1.9? :)

exarkun

whoa, so its an option now? In the interview with the PS3 developers a while back they said it was already in place and it was up to the game developers to take advantage of it. So I'm guessing that didn't go over well with other devs and were forced to make it an option. Or they were lying.

Sypher

Banned
I thought it was said by someone at sony(i think phil?) that that capability was always there it was just a devs choice to implement it.

now that i think about it it was that interview recently with the PS3 FW team.

Pazuzu

Banned
From the image, it looks like part of the in-game XMB, then it would work for all games, even ones already released, without any developer involvement.

Is that possible?

DrXym

I assume this needs the game to support the feature. After all, how otherwise is the PS3 meant to know what sound is your music and what is other sound effects.

quetz67

Banned
DrXym said:
I assume this needs the game to support the feature. After all, how otherwise is the PS3 meant to know what sound is your music and what is other sound effects.
might be that different functions are called for both

Grayman

Thats even better than custom soundtrack support in games! Just multitasking with the home button will work the same for every game :)

Yixian

Banned
This is my last request from the XMB. Wallpapers don't concern me, the colour changing swirl is a decent idea.

My music + GTHD = woooo.

el Diablo

Banned
Going on the assumptions that the screen is real, if they have an adjust screen setting option and it goes to what resolutions your TV is set to output they should really add an adust sound option as well. Would make things alot more convenient since as it stands now you have to check and uncheck options under audio alot of times to get DD and IIx game tracks to output correctly over 5.1 and 7.1 systems.

Actually if i'm really wishing i just wish the PS3 would choose the correct audio format (bitstream or PCM) and just output it instead of sending everything out PCM if you have those boxes checked.

Kinan

Yixian said:
This is my last request from the XMB. Wallpapers don't concern me, the colour changing swirl is a decent idea.

Kinda feeling same here. I always thought that custom backgrounds will take some of the "elitist" spirit that PS3 has. Though it would be nice to have the option.

P.S. Nice avatar. :)

PS360

Banned
Incredibly overdue. Has the XMB team abandoned it for Home or something? These updates are unbearably slow.

Would there be ANY advantage at all to trickling these out slowly, even though they've been finished for a while? I can't think of any, so I assume that they're just catching up with all of these features, which frankly should have been there at launch.

Brofist

Pazuzu said:
From the image, it looks like part of the in-game XMB, then it would work for all games, even ones already released, without any developer involvement.

Is that possible?

I hope. I might actually revisit RR7 if that's the case

DrXym

Crayon Shinchan said:
Sony: Fixing 1 mistake at a time.

Custom soundtracks are a feature, and not particularly a critical one. Claiming it was a mistake to not include a non-core feature in the first iterations of UPGRADEABLE firmware is just bizarre.

antiloop

PS360 said:
Incredibly overdue. Has the XMB team abandoned it for Home or something? These updates are unbearably slow.

Would there be ANY advantage at all to trickling these out slowly, even though they've been finished for a while? I can't think of any, so I assume that they're just catching up with all of these features, which frankly should have been there at launch.

Slow? They are just about montly aren't they? I have heard people complain they are coming out too often even. I personally don't want any half assed solution.

But hey, maybe they could release public betas that bricks consoles for people with not patience.

kay

DrXym said:
Custom soundtracks are a feature, and not particularly a critical one. Claiming it was a mistake to not include a non-core feature in the first iterations of UPGRADEABLE firmware is just bizarre.
I'm sure these auxiliary things took so long because of security reasons..maybe.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
antiloop said:
Slow? They are just about montly aren't they? I have heard people complain they are coming out too often even. I personally don't want any half assed solution.

Yeah, I don't think you could accuse them of being slow. Perhaps that we haven't had a major update in a little while (i.e. a couple of months) stands out now because for a while there we were getting pretty big updates on nearly a monthly basis.

The last update was at the end of June, but it was a minor .0x update. I'd hope perhaps for a .x update toward the end of this month, hopefully with this functionality (though I personally think I'd rarely use it).

reakt

When Sony provide support for full XMB in-game, I wonder if this option, "select music" will disappear. Once you can return to XMB in game, you can select new music anyway, as well as changing the display settings, PS2 emulation settings (if applicable) and so on...

Moeeed

Banned
I Think the best update was in May with the Upscaling.. I love my PS3 even more now that I can play my PS2 games at 1080p. I think everyone does :D

There was something mentioned by the OS DEV team that they can improve the upscaling by 30 to 40%.. did they mean just for DVDs or PS1/PS2 too ? I am more concerned about the improvements to the PS2 upscaling!!

FightyF

Banned
StarDust could use it, but most importantly WipeOut HD. XL tunes would be sweet...plus Freeform and nuSkool Gabber would be awesome.

DrXym

reakt said:
When Sony provide support for full XMB in-game, I wonder if this option, "select music" will disappear. Once you can return to XMB in game, you can select new music anyway, as well as changing the display settings, PS2 emulation settings (if applicable) and so on...

Full XMB is never going to happen.

If XMB does appear it will be cut down so you can run certain things (depending on what the game says it supports), and nothing else. So if a game doesn't support a browser (for example), you're not going to get it from the menu. Same for music, videos and so on.

WTFing

Banned
Motorstorm is an ear torture, and it's boring to play with the engine sound alone. Please, please, please custom soundtracks for EVERY game.
I'd like to also see multiple account logging at the same time (at least two)
Thanks for the info.

Pazuzu said:
perfect

Forsete

Gold Member
Sweet, maybe I can play VT3 with some music again.

Not a fan of hysterical japanese rock and roll music.

filopilo

At the firmaware/sdk level ,this feature is there since 1.6 .It's up to the dev to include the possibility into their game .

Yixian

Banned
I play SSHD with my hifi plugged into the telly and my MBP running iTunes into that.

Would save hassle for sure.

kay

Yeah with full support the system doesn't have enough resources to do everything so some games might crash.

Zoe

Adjust Screen Settings???

Please please please please please please please please please please please please allow screen resizing :(

glaurung

Oni Jazar said:
I guess this means the friends list won't be displayed for all games until the next next update.

I believe this has been said time and by Sony representatives that the function to have the friends list within games is entirely up to the game developers.

So in other words, Sony could force a unified list upon all the games or the developers of future games can add the friends list as a feature within the game.

Or something like that.

Madman

exarkun said:
whoa, so its an option now? In the interview with the PS3 developers a while back they said it was already in place and it was up to the game developers to take advantage of it. So I'm guessing that didn't go over well with other devs and were forced to make it an option. Or they were lying.
I'm pretty sure they were. I thought they were in the begining, only for the fact that it would be stupid to allow your competitor to have something over you.

If this is in fact true, my final wish for my PS3 will have been granted. I wanted background downlaoding and in game music from the begining. All I have to say is PLEASE BE REAL!!!

Top Bottom