• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 custom soundtrack support is coming in the next firmware?

MercuryLS

Banned
glaurung said:
I believe this has been said time and by Sony representatives that the function to have the friends list within games is entirely up to the game developers.

So in other words, Sony could force a unified list upon all the games or the developers of future games can add the friends list as a feature within the game.

Or something like that.

Great, just make it unified and make devs support some key features (headsets, in-game XBM, cross game invites). This is why PSN will always feel awkward going from game to game, things aren't consistent.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I dont really care about custom soundtracks. Actually, I'm more interested in that "Adjust Screen Settings" option :lol

Crisis

Banned
TTP said:
I dont really care about custom soundtracks. Actually, I'm more interested in that "Adjust Screen Settings" option :lol

Same. I wish more people would at least mention this than have yet another silly debate over the merits of in-game soundtracks versus custom soundtracks.

So will adjust screen problems finally sort the issues with VF5 and lots of other PS2 games where the image is actually bigger than your TV? This the only fault with the PS3, all the otehr stuff is just addition support but this is actually a fault. If only MS would fix theirs o_o

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Custom Soundtrack is simply great for racers. There's no arguing that.

Paranoid_Robot said:
So will adjust screen problems finally sort the issues with VF5 and lots of other PS2 games where the image is actually bigger than your TV? This the only fault with the PS3, all the otehr stuff is just addition support but this is actually a fault. If only MS would fix theirs o_o
That's the kind of problem you should fix on your TV (it's called overscan), consoles are not the culprit there. Developers can also be guilty for putting important information into an overscan area.

besada

Banned
kaching said:
I'm not trying to put you on the spot specifically, I'm just trying to understand why game soundtracks are viewed as something that should mandatorily support the option to be replaced wholesale by the player.

And yet you ignore my last paragraph where I talk about that very thing, including how I support it. The real reason developers are being forced to give users a choice is because a) users actually want that (as opposed to being able to reskin Halo) and b) it was really easy to do (as opposed to being able to reskin Halo).

It was not one of my primary wishes for next-gen until I'd experienced, and now I have absolutely no desire to go back to having to listen to the same music, even if it's good, on a game I've played a hundred times.

Ploid 3.0

Dark Octave said:
If your playing my game then I want you to experiance all of it. Every color and every sound that was intedned for that game is important to set the mood for the developers vision. MS is allowing people to water that down and delete a vital part of what you paid money for.

I bet this is why devs didn't bother with custom soundtrack option on PS3. Since it's up to them they wouldn't bother since it's not how they want people to experience their work. Just like a painter selling someone a portrait with a brush and a tube of blue, red, yellow, white, and black paint.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
besada said:
And yet you ignore my last paragraph where I talk about that very thing, including how I support it. The real reason developers are being forced to give users a choice is because a) users actually want that (as opposed to being able to reskin Halo) and b) it was really easy to do (as opposed to being able to reskin Halo).
I'm not sure why you think I'm ignoring you. You've made it clear earlier you want the choice of support for custom soundtracks taken away from the developers. If you're saying something different now, you need to better reconcile that.

In any case, like I said, I'm not trying to put you specifically on the spot, I had a general query about this spawned from the demand made by you and others that custom soundtracks should basically be supported by every game.

As far as devs being forced, that's only the case on one platform so far, the 360. On other platforms where there's the possibility of providing custom soundtracks (og xbox, PSP, PS3, PC) it can't simply be dismissed that the occurrence of that feature is very low. If there were really such a high demand for this feature among gamers, I'd think it would taken off more solidly by now, given the number of platforms it can implemented on (and how easily it can be implemented, as you say).

kaching said:
I'm not sure why you think I'm ignoring you. You've made it clear earlier you want the choice of support for custom soundtracks taken away from the developers. If you're saying something different now, you need to better reconcile that.

In any case, like I said, I'm not trying to put you specifically on the spot, I had a general query about this spawned from the demand made by you and others that custom soundtracks should basically be supported by every game.

As far as devs being forced, that's only the case on one platform so far, the 360. On other platforms where there's the possibility of providing custom soundtracks (og xbox, PSP, PS3, PC) it can't simply be dismissed that the occurrence of that feature is very low. If there were really such a high demand for this feature among gamers, I'd think it would taken off more solidly by now, given the number of platforms it can implemented on (and how easily it can be implemented, as you say).
if anything, this kind of post shows exactly why support for common things like voice chat, in-game cross-game messaging and custom soundtracks should be left out of developer's hands...

and as far as the 360's implementation goes, developers can force their audio to play and pause the custom soundtracks if they choose to do so...

so, yes, if they have something important that we need to hear, they can override the custom soundtrack!

Marconelly said:
Custom Soundtrack is simply great for racers. There's no arguing that.

That's the kind of problem you should fix on your TV (it's called overscan), consoles are not the culprit there. Developers can also be guilty for putting important information into an overscan area.

Yeah I did read up on it as there was lots of posts about it on the PS3 forums and I forgot what it was called. How can it be a problem with my TV if it is only with certain games though?

Oh, and people kind of ignored my earlier post :(

Paranoid_Robot said:
So am I right in saying that we will probably be able to play music straight from the XMB in the next firmware update just like the 360. Then, in future games which have it enables, we will be able to put select songs into specific games, like the Xbox one. As in put stadium songs in NBA games?

If so, the only thing I want them to fix is the ability to login two profiles at the same time on two controllers, so I can play VF5 with my profile against someone elses loaded profile. If this is already implemented and I'm being stupid, please tell me :p.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Paranoid_Robot said:
Yeah I did read up on it as there was lots of posts about it on the PS3 forums and I forgot what it was called. How can it be a problem with my TV if it is only with certain games though?
It only affects some games because most developers are more careful about putting energy gaudges, ammo counters, etc. in a "safe" screen area that for sure won't be going into the overscan. Also, some TVs have larger default overscan than the others, so when the game is being tested, it all looks fine, but that's because the test TVs have smaller overscan than yours.

Search for your TV's model and words "Service Menu", and find out if it's possible to enter the service menu on your TV and correct overscan there.

Marconelly said:
It only affects some games because most developers are more careful about putting energy gaudges, ammo counters, etc. in a "safe" screen area that for sure won't be going into the overscan. Also, some TVs have larger default overscan than the others, so when the game is being tested, it all looks fine, but that's because the test TVs have smaller overscan than yours.

Search for your TV's model and words "Service Menu", and find out if it's possible to enter the service menu on your TV and correct overscan there.

I have a LG 32LX2R and I looked on the avforums and you can adjust the overscan on the service menu, thanks a lot of your help, appreciate it :)

besada

Banned
kaching said:
As far as devs being forced,

Devs aren't being forced. This is the center of your disingenuousness. The MS system allows devs to seize control of the sound as needed. The actual code is part of the XBL code so that devs simply have to provide hooks. No one's forcing the devs to do anything except comply with the TCR, which happens on every single system.

What they're doing is giving choice to the users, instead of letting the devs force their choices on the user. Having the ability to listen to your own music hurts no one. If you don't like it, don't use it. Not having the ability to do so means that we continue to suffer under the reign of really bad japanese rock guitar.

As for your bullshit list of the other systems, let's tick them off, shall we? PSP and PS3 are Sony products, who either can't figure out how to do it, or don't want to. The original xbox didn't have it built into the system, and you CAN do exactly this on any PC game.

You don't like it, which is fine. What I'm trying to figure out is why you're trying to force your preferences on the whole world. One way of doing it locks out the ability of plenty of us to get what we want. The other way gives people a choice. Why do you hate choice so much?

therapist

hope its true
cuz im ****ing SICK of hearing were gonna rock you song in virtua fighter 5 - in case you dont notice it,the level with all the lightning,listen close,once heard it cannot be unheard.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The Faceless Master said:
if anything, this kind of post shows exactly why support for common things like voice chat, in-game cross-game messaging and custom soundtracks should be left out of developer's hands...
To be clear, the only thing that's "left out" of developer's hands is the decision whether to implement these features. Everything else about these features witihin your scenario is now forced upon them to figure out how to properly integrate it within their game and the testing required to ensure these features don't introduce any significant functional or performance issues.

There's a fundamental difference of opinion here, but it's not about the value of these features, it's about self-determination in game development. I don't think platform owners should be dictating any features of games to developers, unless they're publishing/funding those games. I prefer to put my faith in the belief that there are enough developers out there who are smart, dedicated and enthusiastic enough about their craft to make sensible decisions in balancing the desires of the marketplace against what's appropriate for the scope and ambition of their game. Mandated features don't any better guarantee overall quality or the general merit of the game. That's *always* going to come down to self-determination on the developer's part to produce a game worth playing and I think that's where we should leave it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
besada said:
Devs aren't being forced. This is the center of your disingenuousness.
So you're accusing me of being disingenuous for addressing your own comment:

besada said this said:
First you accuse me of ignoring what you said, yet when I try to show I'm paying attention by directly referencing a comment you made, I get accused of being disingenuous. I'd respond to the rest of your comments in your most recent post, but I'm afraid that's just going to get me accused of name-calling next. :lol

garrickk

kaching said:
There's a fundamental difference of opinion here, but it's not about the value of these features, it's about self-determination in game development. I don't think platform owners should be dictating any features of games to developers, unless they're publishing/funding those games. I prefer to put my faith in the belief that there are enough developers out there who are smart, dedicated and enthusiastic enough about their craft to make sensible decisions in balancing the desires of the marketplace against what's appropriate for the scope and ambition of their game. Mandated features don't any better guarantee overall quality or the general merit of the game. That's *always* going to come down to self-determination on the developer's part to produce a game worth playing and I think that's where we should leave it.
I agree with this sentiment, but not the absolute implementation.

The individual developer can be very near-sighted when it comes to their products. The platform developer (Sony, MS, etc.) has to watch out for the entire product family. By requiring a consistent level of features (achievements, Home integration, etc.), it can elevate the entire platform and make more money for everyone. The individual developers may not focus on this.

In general, I prefer Sony's more loose control over developers, but there needs to be some consistent level of control and features to elevate the platform.

LAMBO

It's almost as silly as wanting your dvd player to replace a movie soundtrack with your own music(i'm sure it's been said 10 times already here). I guess for some games that are very repetitive, have no story, and have a neutral atmosphere custom soundtracks might be a plus. Personally i can't think of one game i've played that would benefit at all.

But at the same time i'm not a person that needs to listen to their music 24/7 like some are, but to those nuts i say turn the game music off and play your music through another source while you play.

Aaron

LAMBO said:
It's almost as silly as wanting your dvd player to replace a movie soundtrack with your own music(i'm sure it's been said 10 times already here). I guess for some games that are very repetitive, have no story, and have a neutral atmosphere custom soundtracks might be a plus. Personally i can't think of one game i've played that would benefit at all.
I can only assume you are in love with EA TRAX.

PS360

Banned
the reason this feature is valuable is because, to be quite frank, some game soundtracks just suck total BALLS.

case in point: motorstorm. Horrible soundtrack. Plain shite.

HEEE-EEED UNDAWATAAAAA
HEEE-EEED UNDAWATAAAAA
HEEE-EEED UNDAWATAAAAA
HEEE-EEED UNDAWATAAAAA

yea, you know what im talking about. Jesus christ.

Now if I could have some of my drum and bass pumping through it would actually increase the intensity of the race and make the game just a little more enjoyable for me.

and the other reason is some games don't have any music playing during the game, and i may want to listen to some.

LAMBO said:

But at the same time i'm not a person that needs to listen to their music 24/7 like some are, but to those nuts i say turn the game music off and play your music through another source while you play.

This would block out all in game sound, the good thing about the 360 use of custom soundtracks is if something important is happening you need to hear it will pause your music and let the games soundtrack take over.

As for not being good for games i guess you dont play many if any racers, racers are the only game i use custom soundtracks in, if i couldnt i would end up pulling my hair out or simply giving up like ridge racer 7 on ps3.

Why are people against choice do you really care what other people are listening too while playing there games. It wont effect you if the option is there as you will continue the way you are playing yes??? however it will be a big plus to those people who like to use there own music while playing there games.

Slavik81

They can't just add more overhead without causing major problems. This can't be a standard feature unless they somehow managed to seriously improve their code to make room for it.

And, really, it doesn't need to be a standard feature. Some titles, like racing games and arcade shooters really need it. Others that are more story-focused do not.

tribal24

Banned
Slavik81 said:
They can't just add more overhead without causing major problems. This can't be a standard feature unless they somehow managed to seriously improve their code to make room for it.

And, really, it doesn't need to be a standard feature. Some titles, like racing games and arcade shooters really need it. Others that are more story-focused do not.

how do we know if custom soundtracks werent already in?

dsl302g

Neo Member
I want to be able to chat online with the PS3 eye while watching a movie (in picture in picture mode) + listening to custom soundtracks and while playing a PS3 games in 1080p at 120fps. I also want support to recharge my PS3 control, wirelessly and support every PS1 + PS2 game ever created. I want to use Folding@Home with my PS3 turned off. I want my PS3 control to have a range of 2 miles.

I hope the next firmware supports all those features. Also I want a 6 stacker Blu-Ray disk loader so I don't have to get out of my seat and put a different game in all the time. Just one more thing, I want to be able to play my PS3 while it's in my sink underwater. It gets dusty and I'd like to clean it.

That's all for now, put these features in please, bye!

WTFing

Banned
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/07/20/new-blog-features-coming-a-new-poll-too/

I can’t verify that the ‘your music’ screen is real. It’s obviously not a great shot, and I was at just about every kiosk during E3 and didn’t see anything like that on any unit we had there, and yes, I helped set them up, so I would definitely have seen it. I think it is an artists creative expression for what they want..We will definitley have more info on the firmware updates here very soon.
wtf? Come on Sony make it mandatory for devs!

kaching said:
To be clear, the only thing that's "left out" of developer's hands is the decision whether to implement these features. Everything else about these features witihin your scenario is now forced upon them to figure out how to properly integrate it within their game and the testing required to ensure these features don't introduce any significant functional or performance issues.

oh, i'm 100% sure that i'd prefer their hand be forced on certain things.

non-mandatory features don't ensure the rest of the game will be any better either.

at least you can have shitty game x with your own music and the ability to tell your friends how shitty the game is via standard cross-game communication.

Raistlin

Wollan said:
So now that it is coming who can say that they truly used this feature on their xboxes? Anyone?

My one buddy that has an orig X-box and a 360 certainly does a lot. Not sure if I would ... in part because I simply don't feel like ripping a ton of stuff to the HDD.

Now if they can get this to work over DNLA (which really shouldn't be any more taxing) ... then we're talking. I would certainly use it on some titles.

Yama

dsl302g said:
I want to be able to chat online with the PS3 eye while watching a movie (in picture in picture mode) + listening to custom soundtracks and while playing a PS3 games in 1080p at 120fps. I also want support to recharge my PS3 control, wirelessly and support every PS1 + PS2 game ever created. I want to use Folding@Home with my PS3 turned off. I want my PS3 control to have a range of 2 miles.

I hope the next firmware supports all those features. Also I want a 6 stacker Blu-Ray disk loader so I don't have to get out of my seat and put a different game in all the time. Just one more thing, I want to be able to play my PS3 while it's in my sink underwater. It gets dusty and I'd like to clean it.

That's all for now, put these features in please, bye!
Being able to chat and view a movie in a box isn't such a bad idea though, seriously.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
it depends on the kinds of games you play, i think. most of the games i play have original soundtracks. :p

B-Ri

Wollan said:
So now that it is coming who can say that they truly used this feature on their xboxes? Anyone?

as a multiplat owner. Ive only used it for Burnout, cause i hate most of the music EA trax brings. other then that no, i enjoy the source music from the games.

PS360

Banned
Wollan said:

i have.

trust me, it would be ONLY custom music in motorstorm for me if the feature was there.

PS360

Banned
Wollan said:
Motorstorm has a awesome soundtrack imho. Lot of cool stuff in it.

i was fine with it the first 5 or 6 games. But i can't take those songs anymore.

to have my own stuff during this game would be marvellous.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
garrickk said:
In general, I prefer Sony's more loose control over developers, but there needs to be some consistent level of control and features to elevate the platform.
I'm all for guidance, just not mandate. The platform owners are obviously in a unique position to provide a global perspective of the platform and should certainly impart that wisdom to developers.

The Faceless Master said:
oh, i'm 100% sure that i'd prefer their hand be forced on certain things.
And, over time, that list of certain things would grow and since you're not the only one with an opinion, others will demand that their own things be added to that list until such time that the effort required to implement and support all those required things would be greater than the effort required to build the core of many simpler games.

at least you can have shitty game x with your own music and the ability to tell your friends how shitty the game is via standard cross-game communication.
LOL, I think I'd rather trade/sell shitty game x for credit towards a good game. Since cross-game communication isn't actually a requirement forced on the game devs because it's implemented solely at the OS level, I could still tell my friends not to make the same mistake as I did.

wollan said:
I've used it for a few games, but for the majority I don't.

Bookey

Professional Monk
motorstorm is the game that needs it the most, sometimes just not in the mood for the songs after hearing them so much

Yagharek

Wollan said:

Ive only ever used it twice (Links and Burnout 2). I tend to think that the games I play most rarely justify adding a soundtrack that is completely unsuited to it. Though if I played more racing games or sports games now the option would be handy.

It's not an essential feature imo, but it's a nice option to have.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Wollan said:

All the time. It really saved some Xbox games' soundtracks in my eyes. Custom soundtrack support sucks on 360 for the most part. I miss being able to integrate the music into the games.

TTP said:
Me too, I thought I was the only one seeing it.

My guess is it's like the display options during DVD playback, where you can turn all the scaling and filtering options on/off and mess with incremental values on the fly. So it's probably a resolution/scaling control option with filtering and fullscreen toggles for PS2 games.

Top Bottom