• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.40 - Out Not!

zoku88

kiUNiT said:
No I did'nt read the blog lol. why does your avatar have a swastika in it?
That's a sloppy カ. Katakana. :lol

EDIT: I think. It might say kaari over her head and its just really sloppy? :-|

EDIT2: Oh god, this is really bothering me now. :lol

Epcott

I finished the install some hours ago. 2.40 works fine, even played DMC4 without issue.

The only strange thing being...
It said " is now online" and never mentioned who. Maybe it was a minor glitch, but it's the only one I've seen.

Har har @ people afraid to play their systems.

Zoe

zoku88 said:
That's a sloppy カ. Katakana. :lol

EDIT: I think. It might say kaari over her head and its just really sloppy? :-|

EDIT2: Oh god, this is really bothering me now. :lol

I think it says "wa~i"

X

x2y

Unconfirmed Member
JasonMCG said:
Riddle me this: For those with 2.4, where in the Hell is the custom soundtrack thing? I can't find it anywhere!
Works for me on SSDHD change the BGM to custom and the XMB option comes up I haven't gone as far as actually using it as I don't have any music on my hdd.

Ad for the record no problems on my end with 2.4.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Well hopefully by the time Sony re-releases this firmware there will actually be patches for more then one game to support it!

x2y said:
Works for me on SSDHD change the BGM to custom and the XMB option comes up I haven't gone as far as actually using it as I don't have any music on my hdd.

Ad for the record no problems on my end with 2.4.
SSHD had that already

ty_hot

What do I have to do to make background music work?

It didn't work with MGS4 and GTA4, so I tried an older game, Motorstorm, and it didn't work too.

DoomGyver

ty_hot said:
What do I have to do to make background music work?

It didn't work with MGS4 and GTA4, so I tried an older game, Motorstorm, wich Sony used to show BM in that video, and it didn't work too.

The game has to support it ATM. Burnout P will get an update soon, hopefully more studios start to support it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So not reading the OP is fine now?

Wollan got banned for much less.

From the OP
Games need to be patched to support trophies and custom soundtracks, even with the new update.

It was not Motorstorm btw. It was PJM. No, dont try that. It wont work either.

inner-G

Banned
It's gotta be わ-い。

力-い would be 'release' wouldn't it? Also, the 'i' is in hiragana.

ty_hot

So, why Sony says that the firmware support CUstom SOundtrack if the game have to enable it? It's a feature of the game, not of the XMB

I didn't find what I asked in the OP, sorry.

ty_hot said:
So, why Sony says that the firmware support CUstom SOundtrack if the game have to enable it? It's a feature of the game, not of the XMB

I didn't find what I asked in the OP, sorry.

The XMB supports it now, which is why it is mentioned.

Epcott said:
I finished the install some hours ago. 2.40 works fine, even played DMC4 without issue.

The only strange thing being...
It said " is now online" and never mentioned who. Maybe it was a minor glitch, but it's the only one I've seen.

Har har @ people afraid to play their systems.
I think that happens to everyone once in a while. Happened to me long ago twice.

Tntnnbltn

The Faceless Master said:
come on now, how many times has the OP been edited? do people have to read it before every reply?
That part in particular has been in there for a good 48 hours or so.

(To be fair, it's a bit buried now because of information about bricking and external downloads)

GoDLiKe

Well, I downloaded the firmware minutes ago (thanks for the URL's in the OP) and did the update without problems. PS3 80 GB here.

And thank God I can access the XMB ingame, the best thing is the possibility to send and read messages during gameplay. The trophies are a good idea but we need to wait for more games to use this feature. And I can't get the trophies for Stardust right now :(

zoku88

inner-G said:
It's gotta be わ-い。

力-い would be 'release' wouldn't it? Also, the 'i' is in hiragana.
Well, at first i thought the い was also sloppy for some reason so, i thought it was a very sloppy リ.

The first character just really messed me up, because it really looks like カ to me :lol

LordK

Whew, I don't know if this is new, but if you have a display that has a higher resolution than your videos, you can watch your videos using the native amount of pixels. It'll just display black borders around the video. Pretty neat stuff.

copybeaver said:
Whew, I don't know if this is new, but if you have a display that has a higher resolution than your videos, you can watch your videos using the native amount of pixels. It'll just display black borders around the video. Pretty neat stuff.

Wasn't this available at system launch?

LordK

I don't recall ever getting it to do so. Maybe it's because I never had 720p videos on my ps3 until a few months ago. I recall trying the framing option and having it to do nothing... but that's why I added the cautionary "I don't know if this is new." :p

One thing I'm curious about is whether or not they can fix the in-game XMB refresh rate for 30 fps games?

It just seems...flickery....for those titles....

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i wish they'd address the 'controller always stays on' thing.

even if it's after an hour of unuse, i wish the controller would turn itself off. i tend to leave my system on all day, and all my other systems' controllers shut themselves down after a while. gets annoying.

soldat7

duk said:
The #1 cause of issues are bad changes, this should have been more thoroughly tested

I agree. Then again it's often easier (yet still lame) to ship a product with a known bug and deal with the consequences later, especially if they don't affect the majority (GTAIV anyone?)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
does it not show a notification at the top-right of the screen when you get a trophy?

DoomGyver

mattiewheels said:
does it not show a notification at the top-right of the screen when you get a trophy?

Yes it does, gray box with a trophy icon and it tells you what trophy you unlocked.

There is also a sound. (It's really hard to hear if you have SSHD cranked up.)

Norml

Full Recovery said:
Yes it does, gray box with a trophy icon and it tells you what trophy you unlocked.

There is also a sound. (It's really hard to hear if you have SSHD cranked up.)

I mean the level stuff not trophy.Like when you hit level 2 does anything happen?

Kinan

ChryZ said:
Hey, your epenis will get bigger :p

oh.png

klee123

Norml said:
I mean the level stuff not trophy.Like when you hit level 2 does anything happen?

The PS3 will keep on giving your E-penis handjobs to make you go out and buy more games in order for it to get bigger.

duk said:
The #1 cause of issues are bad changes, this should have been more thoroughly tested
The problem is that when people heard Firmware 2.36 was coming and 2.4 was down the road, many were screaming forget 2.36, just release 2.4 already. Some wanted to refuse the 2.36 update. I said over and over again it needs to be thoroughly tested, and some said that rather have issues and just get them patched up lately. If people want quick, it will be rushed.

Are people getting a lot of crashes and lockups with 2.4? On the sony blog they said they have only had issues with people installing it and it works fine after a successful install. I'm starting to get tired of reseting so much.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
None on my end. Playing MGS4 (off and online) and SSHD a lot since 2.40. Not a single problem.

Tntnnbltn

akachan ningen said:
Are people getting a lot of crashes and lockups with 2.4? On the sony blog they said they have only had issues with people installing it and it works fine after a successful install. I'm starting to get tired of reseting so much.
I had it lock up once when comparing trophies, though this was when the friends list was glitching. Been playing PixelJunk, SSHD and Oblivion.

kiUNiT

BoilersFan23 said:
The problem is that when people heard Firmware 2.36 was coming and 2.4 was down the road, many were screaming forget 2.36, just release 2.4 already. Some wanted to refuse the 2.36 update. I said over and over again it needs to be thoroughly tested, and some said that rather have issues and just get them patched up lately. If people want quick, it will be rushed.

NOTADUMBASS

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
akachan ningen said:

Ive had it lock up twice now.Once during MLB Show,but for the first time ever with a usb stick plugged in while I was viewing pics off of it :\ It's been fine both times after I have held the power button down and restarted it,but since the PS3 launched I had only 1 lockup and now ive had 2 since I installed 2.40

Zoe

Oooh, the codecs have been improved. Some of the mp4's that used to skip at some parts are now working perfectly <3

sruckus

No lockups for me, although one time when I exited out of a game the xmb seemed unable to load any of the icons, it was spinning for all of them. Never froze though. Only thing I'm noticing is that the controllers have become pain in the asses. I installed Linux but I never turned the controller on and they keep losing sync and then never resyncing (wirelessly). I had to reset them and everything.

Matrix said:
Ive had it lock up twice now.Once during MLB Show,but for the first time ever with a usb stick plugged in while I was viewing pics off of it :\ It's been fine both times after I have held the power button down and restarted it,but since the PS3 launched I had only 1 lockup and now ive had 2 since I installed 2.40
I'm thinking lockups and firmware aren't related usually. Since I've installed 2.4, I actually haven't had a lockup *knocks on wood*. Before that, I'd have a lock up every once in a while, although I do play PS3 a lot. My PS3 has locked up where you couldn't even power it off (had to shut it off from the back).

jacket320

xcrunner529 said:
No lockups for me, although one time when I exited out of a game the xmb seemed unable to load any of the icons, it was spinning for all of them.

The only thing I've encountered is similar to this. Once, the ps3 didn't send a visual signal right away to the TV. I could still hear myself moving around the XMB after exiting a game, but couldn't see anything. It popped on after a few seconds though and hasn't happened since.

Epcott

Zoe said:
Oooh, the codecs have been improved. Some of the mp4's that used to skip at some parts are now working perfectly <3

I noticed that too. The day before, I watched a movie and it would skip and go into slow mo (not sure if it was the file with the issue or the codec being old).

The day after 2.40, movies like Gotham Knight and Narnia: Prince Caspin ran very smooth.
I'm really impressed with the playback.

Top Bottom