• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.40 - Out Not!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Since you all got me paranoid over dying hdd's I've been meaning to back up my saves but it would take forever! The next feature Sony needs to add is to let us press triangle on Saved Data Utility and individual PS / PS2 virtual memory cards and let us mass back them up! Not this super time consuming one file at a time stuff! It may not be a problem for other people but for me I've got three generations worth of saves on my PS3 and going through them one by one stinks! @_@;

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Lindsay said:
Since you all got me paranoid over dying hdd's I've been meaning to back up my saves but it would take forever! The next feature Sony needs to add is to let us press triangle on Saved Data Utility and individual PS / PS2 virtual memory cards and let us mass back them up! Not this super time consuming one file at a time stuff! It may not be a problem for other people but for me I've got three generations worth of saves on my PS3 and going through them one by one stinks! @_@;
What they really should do is let you back up all your saves to a server and let you download them whenever you need them.

when i put the Pirates 3 BD on my PS3 i got a "this video cant be played" error.

i have just finished the first two Pirates BD on my PS3 and i didnt have any problems.

may be it is cause by the firmware 2.4, which i just updated?

note i have try to play another BD and it works fine.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
sykoex said:
What they really should do is let you back up all your saves to a server and let you download them whenever you need them.

nah, becuz they need to pay for server maintenance and what not. then when they start charging people are going to bitch about it.

tanod

when is my burrito
WORLDWIDEWII said:
when i put the Pirates 3 BD on my PS3 i got a "this video cant be played" error.

i have just finished the first two Pirates BD on my PS3 and i didnt have any problems.

Did you disable any Blu-Ray settings?

Crisis

Banned
WORLDWIDEWII said:

I just tried my copy of Pirates 3 Blu-ray on my 2.40, 60GB US PS3. Worked absolutely perfectly. Sorry to hear you're having trouble with yours.

WORLDWIDEWII said:

I have watched Pirates 3 since the update. It worked fine for me. It might be something specific that got messed up on your PS3.

llTll

Banned
mmm

i am a bit late. but i just read the OP about Sony taking the firmware down.

so far i think my PS3 is doing fine. i dont have any issues with it .

however i do have a question.

well the new update will be called 2.41 ? so if they fixed some stuff in it, we who have 2.4 can update the patch np ?

or will it be called 2.40 all over again and in order for me to install it, i have to format my HDD ?

hell. does even formatting HDD return the firmware to older version ?

i am confused

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/919275/Trophies_support?sdb=1

Sven (Moderator)

DMC4 is unlikely as the game is done and it has its own little trophylike system

Puzzle Fighter is also unlikely. The game is done and the team that made it is on other stuff.

SSF2T HD Remix, undetermined at this time. We'll have to see what schedules look like and what Sony's requirements are.

New games that are started from here on out though, it's a safe bet that they'll be there (it's been worked into CEI's developer contracts as a required deliverable).

Old? in b4 lazydevs

kuYuri

So, what were the surprise additions to this firmware? I remember a few people mentioned we were going to be surprised by some additions in this firmware, but I didn't notice any big ones besides in-game XMB and trophies.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Strider2K99 said:
So, what were the surprise additions to this firmware? I remember a few people mentioned we were going to be surprised by some additions in this firmware, but I didn't notice any big ones besides in-game XMB and trophies.

Added codec support.

Also, did they tighten up Bluetooth devices?
My dinovo mini didnt work, i had to resync and type in a code, dont remember ever doing that before.

nofi

Strider2K99 said:

Ah, such an obvious joke...

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Always-honest said:
i can't register a bluetooth device anymore.....

I had an issue with that before this update, some weird shyt happened and I couldn't register THAT bluetooth anymore. I had to delete it and ad a different one so the other could work for some reason.

Raistlin

ty_hot said:
So, why Sony says that the firmware support CUstom SOundtrack if the game have to enable it? It's a feature of the game, not of the XMB

No. Its a feature of the XMB, but the game has to com with the OS to support it.

Raistlin

Private Hoffman said:
One thing I'm curious about is whether or not they can fix the in-game XMB refresh rate for 30 fps games?

It just seems...flickery....for those titles....

No. Its an overlay.

Raistlin

Strider2K99 said:

I believe the surprise that was hinted at was soundtrack override from the XMB. Unfortunately, that feature was only in the debug firmware for legal reasons ... I believe some thought it was going to be deliverable.

For me personally, there are some nice fixes as far as codec support, and new features for media (noise reduction, etc).

lupinko

WORLDWIDEWII said:

Did you enable 24fps for BD playback? You have to disable that if your setup doesn't support it.

llTll said:
mmm

i am a bit late. but i just read the OP about Sony taking the firmware down.

so far i think my PS3 is doing fine. i dont have any issues with it .

however i do have a question.

well the new update will be called 2.41 ? so if they fixed some stuff in it, we who have 2.4 can update the patch np ?

or will it be called 2.40 all over again and in order for me to install it, i have to format my HDD ?

hell. does even formatting HDD return the firmware to older version ?

i am confused
Either way, don't be surprised to see a 2.4"1" type of update in the near future. With bigger updates, there almost always are some kinds of bugs that we see fixed in a quick new release.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
WORLDWIDEWII said:
Try going to the BD Data icon at the very top if the xmb video section, press triangle over it and chose "Delete". Do it even if that folder appears empty. That should fix your problem.

tha_con

Banned
I'm guessing we'll see a FW 2.41 or something, rather than the 're-launch' of 2.40, it just seems logical to me.

That said, I'm really looking forward to a lot of future releases including custom soundtracks and trophy support, but I'm mainly happy that I can now check messages in-game, I seriously use the message feature so much more than I used to, I'm afraid I may be annoying some of my friends :lol

llTll

Banned
tha_con said:
I'm guessing we'll see a FW 2.41 or something, rather than the 're-launch' of 2.40, it just seems logical to me.

That said, I'm really looking forward to a lot of future releases including custom soundtracks and trophy support, but I'm mainly happy that I can now check messages in-game, I seriously use the message feature so much more than I used to, I'm afraid I may be annoying some of my friends :lol

i dont think they can re-release the 2.40 again. because everyone who updated his system wont get the new update. his PS3 will tell him that he has the same version of firmware.

so much for PR about 2.4 tho. kinda sucks.

oh well.. so far i dont have any problems so i wont complain

i think a lot o people that THINK their ps3 is fine after the 4.0 update will encounter problems later on.

I still can't get any bluetooth headset to work.

hirokazu

Always-honest said:
i think a lot o people that THINK their ps3 is fine after the 4.0 update will encounter problems later on.

I still can't get any bluetooth headset to work.
You think wrong :p Just because you have problems doesn't mean other people will too.

llTll said:
i dont think they can re-release the 2.40 again. because everyone who updated his system wont get the new update. his PS3 will tell him that he has the same version of firmware.

so much for PR about 2.4 tho. kinda sucks.

oh well.. so far i dont have any problems so i wont complain

I disagree. I think we'll see a re-release of 2.40. And as for the PS3 not recognizing the update, I really doubt the PS3 updates based on what the FW is titled. There's got to be some other magical force that controls whether the FW updates.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
GAZERK said:
I disagree. I think we'll see a re-release of 2.40. And as for the PS3 not recognizing the update, I really doubt the PS3 updates based on what the FW is titled. There's got to be some other magical force that controls whether the FW updates.

I think it is better to release it as 2.41 also from a marketing POV. "Guys it is not only fully fixed and safe, but also improved" and then mention one of the stealth updates as actually being one of the .01 updates.

You could also roll in some new fixes and things, but I think that after the 2.40 blunder users would be shy updating if the new FW had additional features which might have added other bugs or might not have... you need a fully fixed 2.40 released as 2.41, like a bug-fix only release, before people can fully trust each FW update again without worrying about the update bricking their consoles or not.

Smitty3000 said:
Actually mine seems to be working better, heh. What kind of problems have you been experiencing?

it seems i'm not the only one, but my jabra doesn't work anymore. in fact i'm no longer able to conect to a bluetooth device with my ps3....

hirokazu said:
You think wrong :p Just because you have problems doesn't mean other people will too.

no, i keep reading about more and more people running in to problems on different forums.
not just bluetooth problems, but a range of different little problems.

you think wrong

Panajev2001a said:
I think it is better to release it as 2.41 also from a marketing POV. "Guys it is not only fully fixed and safe, but also improved" and then mention one of the stealth updates as actually being one of the .01 updates.

You could also roll in some new fixes and things, but I think that after the 2.40 blunder that users would be shy updating if the new FW had additional features which might have added other bugs or might not have... you need a fully fixed 2.40 released as 2.41 like just a bug-fix release then people can trust each FW update again.

Your argument makes complete sense. But on a side-note was 2.40 really the blunder that journalists made it seem to be? From what it seems like, not too many systems bricked and people are just getting too paranoid about their system blowing up. If I remember correctly, some 360's bricked during their Live Updates and it wasn't nearly as big of a deal as this (maybe because RROD was a common problem back then).

Anyways, I digress. I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony do either 2.40 again, or bring 2.41. Either one works fine but it all depends on how Sony wants to present the new FW and if they're OCD about their numbering system for updates :lol

Flunkie

Banned
Yeah.. I just noticed last night that any time I try to use my mic in-game, it freezes up, and to make it work again, I have to completely shut off my PS3 and restart it.

Gaol

Neo Member
Well I have a strange problem since 2.4 - my in-game xmb keeps disappearing. Its usually available shortly after I load a game, but if I play for any length of time and press the PS button then the old menu often appears :/

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
GAZERK said:
Your argument makes complete sense. But on a side-note was 2.40 really the blunder that journalists made it seem to be? From what it seems like, not too many systems bricked and people are just getting too paranoid about their system blowing up. If I remember correctly, some 360's bricked during their Live Updates and it wasn't nearly as big of a deal as this (maybe because RROD was a common problem back then).

Anyways, I digress. I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony do either 2.40 again, or bring 2.41. Either one works fine but it all depends on how Sony wants to present the new FW and if they're OCD about their numbering system for updates :lol

I happen to think it is the blunder people made it out to be (IMHO), especially given how hyped that FW was, but even if it were not pulling it from the update servers MADE it shine under a very bad light.

Using Xbox 360's failures in their PR to show how much superior their product was would bite them in the ass if they did not make a good honest effort at keeping users' consoles well being in mind.

Raistlin

While 2.4 does seem to be buggy, the current version seems fine assuming it installs properly (at least for the 60GB US model).

Some things are a little flaky, and I have had to do a hard reboot, but I'll take it for now.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Onix said:
While 2.4 does seem to be buggy, the current version seems fine assuming it installs properly (at least for the 60GB US model).

Some things are a little flaky, and I have had to do a hard reboot, but I'll take it for now.

I've done a good amount of reboots and haven't had any issues.

oneHeero

Always-honest said:
no, i keep reading about more and more people running in to problems on different forums.
not just bluetooth problems, but a range of different little problems.

you think wrong
I keep reading more and more about how great 2.4 is on several other forums I go to. Everyone on my PSN havent had any problems either.

You think wrong.

oneHeero said:
I keep reading more and more about how great 2.4 is on several other forums I go to. Everyone on my PSN havent had any problems either.

You think wrong.

close your eyes to anything you want.
2.4 is great. but it also brings lots of problems. why do you think they pulled it? because it was perfect?

Raistlin

g35twinturbo said:
I've done a good amount of reboots and haven't had any issues.

That doesn't mean it isn't flaky :p

For example, I was playing SSDHD and then decided to jump into the MGS Database app.

Black screen, completely dead controls (including front power button). Had to do a hard reset from the back of the console. What scared the crap out of me was that when I tried to start the console (using the controller's home button), the system didn't start up and all of the controller LED's just stayed flashing 0_0.

I went over and started the PS3 with the front button, and everything was fine then :p

Raistlin

Always-honest said:
close your eyes to anything you want.
2.4 is great. but it also brings lots of problems. why do you think they pulled it? because it was perfect?

Doesn't automatically mean its not worth using.

Think of it as a beta :lol

Top Bottom