• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.40 - Out Not!

slade

Phew, hard reboot fixed everything. I thought my console had bricked for a while there but after I rebooted, it launched into the firmware installation.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
You can now copy game saves to other user accounts on your PS3. Pretty darn sure that's a new option cause I sure don't remember seeing it before!

Flunkie

Banned
JPBrowncoat said:
Dammit I'm late.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Spoiler GIF Celebrating 2.40 Release!
Spoiler -> GIF
That is GOLD!

I was expecting the
Guns of the Patriots
one, and I was pleasantly surprised! :lol :lol

Dot50Cal

Banned
Woah, go to your timezone setting. When was this done??? It moves to the area you pick, fancy.

cZKcBxrle.jpg

oneHeero

Dartastic said:
I think this bricked my PS3. The screen is all black, my controller isn't responding, and I can't turn it off. Time for a hard reset. =(
Hard reset worked, and now it's installing. Odd.
Before assuming your ps3 was bricked, you couldnt try a hard reset? Glad you ended up doing it though.

tanod

when is my burrito
DCharlie said:
lol - does everyone who previously didn't "get" achievements now understand -why- they are addictive now PS3/X360 both have a system?

I never understood the hate.

I was never a hater but achievement points never factored into my buying decisions for multi-plat games before and they won't now.

Also, I think selecting arbitrary number of numerical points on the 360 for different achievements is inferior to the three levels of trophy plus a bonus for collecting all implementation, IMO. Much more incentive to collect that last small trophy. Less arbitrary assigning of point values by devs means easier to implement and easier to see the expected difficulty of the achievement.

Sean

Banned
Tntnnbltn said:
Could you not change the clock yourself to make it 3 minutes slower? (Others have also reported this)

Not sure how to change the clock, was just wondering if it happened to anyone else. Glad it's not just me.

I figured it would pull down the time from the internet or something so not sure why it's out of sync.

jmd494

does pain have trophies or not? I don't see them in the XMB list but I do see them in the game. This pisses me off so much that in SSHD (and presumably future games) you have to buy the expansions to get all the trophies (and therefore, the coveted Platinum trophy)

oneHeero

JPBrowncoat said:
Dammit I'm late.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Spoiler GIF Celebrating 2.40 Release!
Spoiler -> GIF
Whoa, lol I thought it was the
Will Ferrel 'Frank the tank' Liguid dance gif
I really need to play through MGS4 again..

Tntnnbltn

Lindsay said:
You can now copy game saves to other user accounts on your PS3. Pretty darn sure that's a new option cause I sure don't remember seeing it before!
That was there as of last Christmas, possibly been there from the very start.

Dot50Cal said:
Woah, go to your timezone setting. When was this done??? It moves to the area you pick, fancy.
That was an old stealth update around the time the earth music visualiser was added.

tanod

when is my burrito
Lindsay said:

LOL no. That was there.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Tntnnbltn said:
That was there as of last Christmas, perhaps earlier.

Weird it only would let me copy to a usb device before as far as I can recall. Oh well! Love the clock on the XMB!

Crisis said:
God damn it. I redownloaded SSHD and I STILL can't update it.

Try hitting cancel instead of ok, then at the main menu go to the online store. It'll tell you to update there and then try it. That worked for me.

B-Ri

does anyone elses XMB display a question mark (?) instead of the trophy icon? Mine does ? when not in game, and a trophy icon when in game.

????

EDIT

could it be that the xmb is looking for the trophy icon on my custom XMB theme, cant find it, and puts the question mark?

jmd494

Anyone else pissed abou having to buy expansion packs for certain trophies?

To be clear...anyone (with or without the packs can see the trophies...but they can't get them w/o buying)

alba

Little is the new Big
B-Ri said:
does anyone elses XMB display a question mark (?) instead of the trophy icon? Mine does ? when not in game, and a trophy icon when in game.

????

That is because of themes. I am SO HAPPY about this.

They updated their XML files for themes it seems, you can now add "Turn Off System" "Playlists (Add Playlist)" "Trophies" "Search The Internet" icons to your theme and have them displayed as custom ones and we're not stuck with the default ones anymore, I can't wait to finish updating my theme so it has of those in :)

h3ro

alba said:
That is because of themes. I am SO HAPPY about this.

They updated their XML files for themes it seems, you can now add "Turn Off System" "Playlists (Add Playlist)" "Trophies" "Search The Internet" icons to your theme and have them displayed as custom ones and we're not stuck with the default ones anymore, I can't wait to finish updating my theme so it has of those in :)

How do you do that? I wanna keep my MGS4 Hagane theme!

Concept17

Justin Dailey said:
does pain have trophies or not? I don't see them in the XMB list but I do see them in the game. This pisses me off so much that in SSHD (and presumably future games) you have to buy the expansions to get all the trophies (and therefore, the coveted Platinum trophy)

I want to know this as well. Stuck in the middle of the 255mb update for SSHD so I can't check yet.

h3ro

CrushDance said:
Check out how Kotaku is:

ok5vv7.png

Smallest and shortest post in history? I'd be inclined to say so.

They've already done a few stories on it already, back to when the videos were released, not much else to detail now... back to Burnout! :D

Raistlin

So far, I like what I'm seeing. XMB framerate is a obviously slower than normal, but it still reacts quickly. Actually, the framerate is similar to my TV's XMB now :p

I did some quick testing of the media player's noise reduction. Nothing amazing, but it does clean up some stuff. Definitely a welcome addition. Unfortunately, the mention of scaling seems to be a bit misconstrued. It may be an improvement (I haven't done that much video streaming to tell yet), but I was hoping for more size options. It would be REALLY nice if you could zoom in on stuff, and pick the size that does the best job of hiding artifacts.

1. Do ireally have to play through Uncharted again and try and get all those skill points to get trophies?

2. Dark Sector tells you about 'achievements' during the game, any word on whether these will/are translated to trophies?

Raistlin

angelfly said:
They are regulated. There is a limit for the total points available in a single game but the developer is free to split it up how they want between the different trophy types. At least that's what I remember hearing in the walkthrough video.

Correct.

Also, the total points are different between large-scale and small-scale games.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
a Master Ninja said:
It always cracks me up when people bring up a feature they want in an update, only to be informed it's always been there.:lol

are you telling me that you can do it on 360 (and I am blind)?

edit: just messed around with it, and you're right, I'm blind. It's still a bit clunky though having to select each achievement to see the requirements.

Blueblur1

Weird. I was looking at my single trophy usin in-game XMB and then backed out to regular XMB. My profile said I had no trophies though but when I checked my trophies again I got a screen with a loading bar that said "Trophies being synchronized..." or something to that effect.

Edit: Okay, now its in my profile.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Justin Dailey said:
Just got two in-game trophies in Pain...they do NOT transfer to the XMB trophy system.

The Pain update for trophies is not out yet. It'll be out this month I assume.

calder

:lol 8 people on my friends list are playing SSHD. Trophy whores! ;)
I gave Lave a quick going over, picked up two trophies. Shit those gold trophies and a few of the silvers look nigh-impossible to me.

Banned
tanod said:
I was never a hater but achievement points never factored into my buying decisions for multi-plat games before and they won't now.

Also, I think selecting arbitrary number of numerical points on the 360 for different achievements is inferior to the three levels of trophy plus a bonus for collecting all implementation, IMO. Much more incentive to collect that last small trophy. Less arbitrary assigning of point values by devs means easier to implement and easier to see the expected difficulty of the achievement.

There is still point values assigned to each Trophy. It is just hidden behind the scenes.

Raistlin

DCharlie said:
lol - does everyone who previously didn't "get" achievements now understand -why- they are addictive now PS3/X360 both have a system?

I never understood the hate.

I think a lot of the 'hate' came from those that dislike achievement-whores in general. Where the serious hate comes into play is when you're playing online and you have an achievement-whore completely fucking up the game. It can almost break online play at times.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
+1 vote for hiding everything that is not accessible in the game. It seems like a huge waste of space (and resources).

Raistlin

Linkzg said:
I think that for the next big update, they should really scale back in-game XMB and make a game specific in-game XMB. I know some people might like that you can jump from one thing to another without having to go into the main XMB, but if removing all those icons and streamlining it can make the icon loading quicker and all that, I think they should do it.

better yet, make it an option you can toggle on and off.

BTW - HOLY SHIT - I didn't know you could actually make posts using cooliris!?!?!

IN-NEOGAF-POSTING!!!!!!! :lol

Top Bottom