• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 firmware 2.50 allows easy access to recovery menu

Tntnnbltn

TTP said:
I though it was 2.50 that showed this database thing for the first time?
It was there before. Some Gaffer's have had errors where it's had to rebuild the database. They lost their playlists and album sorting, if I recall correctly.

TheFreshPrince

Ok, I just downloaded 2.5....and my PS3 totally bricked. It turned on once...froze at the wavy line start up...and now there is no picture, no sound, and the SIXAXIS won't sink. From what I've read, this is the same problem people had with 2.4. Because the controller won't sync, I have no clue how I'm supposed to access the Recovery Menu. Any ideas?

TheFreshPrince said:
Ok, I just downloaded 2.5....and my PS3 totally bricked. It turned on once...froze at the wavy line start up...and now there is no picture, no sound, and the SIXAXIS won't sink. From what I've read, this is the same problem people had with 2.4. Because the controller won't sink, I have no clue how I'm supposed to access the Recovery Menu. Any ideas?
First off: sync.

Second, have you tried connecting the controller to the PS3 via USB? ...or is that what you meant by "it doesn't sync"?

TheFreshPrince

Revolutionary said:
First off: sync.

Second, have you tried connecting the controller to the PS3 via USB? ...or is that what you meant by it doesn't sync?

yes, I have tried connecting it with the USB. whereas wirelessly, the 4 red lights on the controller just blink rapidly...when I connect it to the system via USB, the lights shut off, and won't come back on even if I press the PS Button.

oneHeero

TheFreshPrince said:
yes, I have tried connecting it with the USB. whereas wirelessly, the 4 red lights on the controller just blink rapidly...when I connect it to the system via USB, the lights shut off, and won't come back on even if I press the PS Button.
Reset your controller. grab a needle and poke it from the back. I tried syncing mine @ a friends and it never worked until we tried resetting the controller.

TheFreshPrince

oneHeero said:
Reset your controller. grab a needle and poke it from the back. I tried syncing mine @ a friends and it never worked until we tried resetting the controller.

I have reset it. I also have tried AV cables, component, and HDMI. I've reset the video settings....so its not one of those issues. Only thing I can think of is that its bricked.

TheFreshPrince said:

Don't you access the recovery menu through the main power button? Not using the controller?

TheFreshPrince

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Don't you access the recovery menu through the main power button? Not using the controller?

perhaps, but if I have no video, how will I know I'm at the menu? And, if the controllers won't sync or respond at all...how can I select anything from the Recovery Menu?

Fatghost said:
I can't access recovery menu with my launch US 60 GB. I just get the reset video settings.
I've got a launch 60gb as well and it works.

Let go of the power button once you hear the third beep and it should come up.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Revolutionary said:
I've got a launch 60gb as well and it works.

Let go of the power button once you hear the third beep and it should come up.

When i do that the system just turns itself off.

Esperado

You have to do the test twice in a row.

First time there will be 3 beeps about equally spaced and it will turn off.
Second time there will be a beep followed by two quick beeps.

hirokazu

Slavik81 said:
How would this open the door to piracy and modding?
They're making assumptions because of how things went on the PSP firmware scene with the service mode.

This menu seems pretty robust to me, I don't think it'll open the door for piracy and modding. With the PSP, no consumer was ever meant to access the service mode stuff.

Negaiido

Fatghost said:
When i do that the system just turns itself off.

No usb slot should be used otherwise you only get the video settings reset.
When you turn on the console keep your finger on the console untill you hear 1 beep and then after that two fast beeps.
Then it should work

RobertM

TheFreshPrince said:
Even though my PS3 will display no video or audio...it did reach the Recovery Menu. Which option should I pick to fix my PS3?
Restore PS3 system and then try File System.

TheFreshPrince

Ok...so, this new Recovery Menu really works! My PS3 wouldn't display any picture or audio, and the controllers wouldnt respond. Through the Recovery Menu, I installed 2.5 through an SD card....after installing, the PS3 said that the File System was corrupt, so it restored that. It came back up saying the File System was corrupt, so it restored again, and now it works perfectly!! No lost data whatsoever!

Awesome feature...thumbs up Sony!

TheFreshPrince said:
Ok...so, this new Recovery Menu really works! My PS3 wouldn't display any picture or audio, and the controllers wouldnt respond. Through the Recovery Menu, I installed 2.5 through an SD card....after installing, the PS3 said that the File System was corrupt, so it restored that. It came back up saying the File System was corrupt, so it restored again, and now it works perfectly!! No lost data whatsoever!

Awesome feature...thumbs up Sony!

Like I said earlier, they should really start advertising this and letting people know. This was nowhere on any 2.5 release notes.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Got my recovery menu working. The trick is to have nothing in the USB ports and nothing in any of the card ports.

Top Bottom