• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 firmware 3.15

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Yeah it's not a joke post, I just can't think of when I'd ever use it... I'm open to being enlightened though. I'm guessing if you have multiple PS3s in the house and want to share media between them? I don't know, in this case having a DLNA server that both of them feed off of would make more sense to begin with. Game saves? Many times they are locked to the console anyway, and are small enough to throw on memory cards/usb sticks in a couple of seconds.

For me the killer features would be:

1) Better organization for media, making slapping a large HDD into the PS3 and using it to store all of the media instead of relying on an external DLNA server to try to organize it. Search feature for media by tag/filename info.

2) Allow PS3 to act as a DLNA server, useful in above scenario where you want your media stored on board.

3) Allow selective backup - big problem when you store all of your media on PS3 harddrive the backup feature insists on backing up all of your hundreds of gigs of media too when all you're interested in is preserving your OS/Saves/Etc.

Some really good ideas man; would make PS3 the central media hub. I would drop a huge HDD in there and attach a USB 1TB if PS3 had these features plus full MKV support.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nuclear Muffin said:
If they've gone and made a PSP emulator for PS3, why not allow people to play full PSP games on it?

They'll greatly improve the sales of their full games!

Licensing.

Minis is effectively a seperate software platform and they could build terms in that allow playability and distribution on PS3 from the start.

I guess they didn't think this far ahead with the PSP licensing terms. Same problem as with PSone games for example, having to go back and renegotiate terms to put them on PSN etc.

I would love to think a more comprehensive solution could be possible for PSP on PS3 however. It's still an active platform, perhaps a blanket and retroactive revision of the terms would be possible to allow PSP on PS3. It would undoubtedly improve the health of the software platform so I can't really see a downside for pubs...

badcrumble said:
I think Sony's more likely to just save that stuff for PSP2. If you can transfer saves back and forth between platforms, and one of the platforms is insecure and has CWCheat... you're better off not including trophies on EITHER platform.

Maybe only award trophies for full things done on PS3?

minis will still be around on PSP2. I think getting this kind of common platform with different runtime profiles in place ahead of that would make sense.

patsu

jvm said:
I just showed up to point out that Sony's found another potential backdoor here.

First, they couldn't get Netflix native so they used BD-Java or whatever to get around that.

Now they've supposedly got Pac-man Championship Edition coming to the PSP as a Mini. And then that'll work on the PS3 through this little update.

If it pans out that way for PSP/PS3 Pac-man CE then ... very clever!

(Background: Pac-man CE was supposedly locked up tight to prevent it from being on other consoles.)

Actually.... if they allow Valkyria 2 and PeaceWalker (non-minis I know) to play on PS3, I will pass out from excitement.

XGoldenboyX said:
PSP GAMES Playable on PS3

That's what we need :)
With this happening, I could easily see PSP games on PS3 being only a matter of time. And how awesome would that be? Frankly, I would rather play most PSP games on a TV than a PSP screen.

gofreak said:
Maybe only award trophies for full things done on PS3?
Still wouldn't work for any game with RPG elements - you could boost your stats/equipment/whatever to the maximum, transfer your save, get a bunch of trophies with ease.

Dibbz

I can't sign into PSN right now. Anyone else having trouble? The PSBlog says it's still up though :|

nvm I'm in now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
borsdy said:
You probably won't be able to migrate gameshare licenses with the data transfer tool, eh?

They said you will have to activate the account on the new console. So deactivate old, activate new and you are set.

AndyD

aka andydumi
badcrumble said:
Still wouldn't work for any game with RPG elements - you could boost your stats/equipment/whatever to the maximum, transfer your save, get a bunch of trophies with ease.

Yep. Are you missing a trophy for 500 killed monsters? Modify the save to 499, load it, kill one monster, trophy awarded. The only way to secure its 500, is to make sure that save game is locked to the PS3 platform which is still secure thankfully.

There are other reasons I would like the XBM to be hacked, but that is one reason I am glad it is not.

RuGalz

gofreak said:
Licensing.

Minis is effectively a seperate software platform and they could build terms in that allow playability and distribution on PS3 from the start.

I guess they didn't think this far ahead with the PSP licensing terms. Same problem as with PSone games for example, having to go back and renegotiate terms to put them on PSN etc.

It is possible that DD version of the game has already included licensing term to allow this to happen. If that's the case, we might see full emulation as the emulator become more mature. (And possibly that's why some games aren't seeing DD release lol - double edged sword)

BeeDog

Pleeease let that work with locked saves, as some people said earlier.

Though one issue if I ever get a Slim; my current PS3 has a 320 GB drive in it, and the Slims are sold with 120 GB drives... how the fuck would one transfer the shit without losing the locked saves? :lol So essentially, the option is still worthless in this case, and they should just let users back locked saves up with the "Complete/full" option in the regular external HDD backup.

jiggles

Banned
Having had my launch model YLOD on me twice now, and getting a Slim to replace it for Christmas, there was absolutely no feature I wanted more than the data transfer (I even said so the last time we had a feature wishlist thread).

I'm over the fucking moon. :D

DMeisterJ

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Why on earth do people want to trade their superior original PS3s for Slims again?

Unless you're rocking a 4 USB port 60 or 80 gig, there is nothing superior about the Phat. Aside from aesthetics, which I will admit, the fat is better looking than the slim.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dragona Akehi said:
Why on earth do people want to trade their superior original PS3s for Slims again?

If they die? And for some the slims are superior. Not all fatties are created equal.

mackaveli

anyone know how to fix the trophy sync issue? I cannot sync my trophies with the server, it stops at 22% every single time. I can play online games just fine.

Any help?

jiggles

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

My old one can't Bravia sync. Or work for more than 2 weeks without needing to be taken apart entirely and fixed.

But mainly the Bravia sync.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dragona Akehi said:
I never play PS2 games on it.
Well, back in 2006 I did.

Mainly, I want wifi for adhoc party, and a quieter system.
Bravia sync would a nice bonus too since I have a Sony A3000 tv.

Oh yes, and the GPU is going out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I like the sound of the PSP minis. I hope this means getting PSN PSP games working on the PS3 will come soon, I would buy so many more in that case.

If they've gone and made a PSP emulator for PS3, why not allow people to play full PSP games on it?

They'll greatly improve the sales of their full games!
My guess is the PSP emulator they are going to be using is still buggy or incomplete, but someone figured out that most of the current titles in Mini's already work, and Sony can just impose some extra guidelines to make sure they continue to work.

Oneself

If your PS3 breaks, you won't be able to transfer the data anyways... that's very usefull :lol Backups on a portable HDD for the win.

Next step: use the PSP's output for something and let us use a full screen option... do we really want minis on our PS3?...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Oneself said:
Next step: use the PSP's output for something and let us use a full screen option... do we really want minis on our PS3?...

Yes. Some of us don't like handhelds. I appreciate these are small little games, but having the choice to pick them up without having to play them on a PSP or whatever is good. It's another more open avenue for indies to get stuff onto PS3 too.

gcubed

mackaveli said:
anyone know how to fix the trophy sync issue? I cannot sync my trophies with the server, it stops at 22% every single time. I can play online games just fine.

Any help?

sync early in the morning or late at night.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Hmmm you know one of the reasons I've been hesitate to purchase much digital content (movies) for either of my systems was the upgrade path. Lets face it at some point I'm going to want to remove those systems off my shelves in the coming years and if the content was stuck on it that would... well suck. This seems to be a good way to prevent that from happening (at least on the PS3 side). Just like when purchasing a new computer I can transfer my data off the PS3 to whatever future PS console (hopefully) comes down the pipe... has MS spoken to how they'll handle future upgrades in regards to purchased digital content yet?

SmokyDave

Dragona Akehi said:
Dunno but it suits me, I could do with a couple of BC 60gbs in case my current one dies.

RuGalz

mackaveli said:

Any help?

Keep syncing until it completes. The more trophy there are to sync from the last time you did it, the more likely you are going to get errors. Every time it errors out, it might have synced a couple trophies before it happened (if you want to confirm this you can always link Trophy update to a facebook account and see the flood...)

RobertM

Wouldn't you need a crossover cable to actually transfer stuff? I guess they had to write a software that sends data in reverse.

andycapps

mackaveli said:

Any help?

Don't know, mine gets stuck at 12% every time. Doesn't matter what time of day I do it. It always gets stuck. I think it's some form of firmware issue where they don't like our ISP or our NAT. As far as I know, I'm NAT type 2 and all the ports necessary for PSN are open.

gcubed

RobertM said:
Wouldn't you need a crossover cable to actually transfer stuff? I guess they had to write a software that sends data in reverse.

most newer ethernet ports come autosensing

andycapps said:
Don't know, mine gets stuck at 12% every time. Doesn't matter what time of day I do it. It always gets stuck. I think it's some form of firmware issue where they don't like our ISP or our NAT. As far as I know, I'm NAT type 2 and all the ports necessary for PSN are open.

i had about 2 weeks where i couldnt, i even tried 50 times in a row and nothing. I did it one weekend i was up drinking and playing singstar at like 2am EST and it worked after about 4 or 5 tries.

swamplord666

Neo Member
AndyD said:
If they die? And for some the slims are superior. Not all fatties are created equal.
What happened to the free world maaaaan? All consoles should have equal opportunities maaan!
Sorry I couldn't help myself :p
On Topic, This update doesn't do much for me i'm afraid :S I'll only get excited when they add:
- cross game chat and/or
- PSP trophy support and/or
- Being able to play the psp on your TV via the PS3 (optional: with a PS3 controller)

SmokyDave

andycapps said:
Cross posted from 3.10 thread...

I got mine to work through sheer repetition. I wouldn't fiddle with your routers settings too much if online gaming and voice chat works and trophies have synced in the past. I'm sure it'll be a temporary problem. Have you checked playstation.com to see if it has been partially syncing in the background?

Also, do it over wireless and watch the Wi-Fi and HDD lights flash. If they're flashing then it is syncing, even if just a bit at a time.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Is the controller syncing issue really being addressed in this update ?, I can't see it being mentioned in the actual blog entry ?

Dunlop

Dragona Akehi said:

Because, unless the Phat PS3 has BC or you are into gimped Linux it is not superior?

andycapps

SmokyDave said:
Cross posted from 3.10 thread...

I got mine to work through sheer repetition. I wouldn't fiddle with your routers settings too much if online gaming and voice chat works and trophies have synced in the past. I'm sure it'll be a temporary problem. Have you checked playstation.com to see if it has been partially syncing in the background?

Also, do it over wireless and watch the Wi-Fi and HDD lights flash. If they're flashing then it is syncing, even if just a bit at a time.

This is true.. maybe I need to just reset my routers settings completely. So many people have told me this and that port to open that there may be some errors there somewhere.. But yeah, I don't use wireless anymore with it being right next to my wireless router. Might as well get that ethernet connection and have the best download speeds possible (as well as pings for games).

Dragona Akehi said:
There's a number of reasons why I got a Slim, but the main reason would be the size/weigh difference, although not huge, is significant enough for someone who travels often like myself. Especially regarding international flight, where you only have ~45lbs; the Slim saves me about 4-5lbs that could be used for something else.

genjiZERO

gofreak said:
Sweetness!

Not as good as full PSP emu obviously, but I guess they were able to build PS3 playability into their licensing terms for minis more easily.

This is another maybe easier avenue for indies to get games onto PS3 too.

I hope this opens the door to full PSP support. This is a good step in the right direction.

(Also, on a side note, I think it's pretty awesome how Sony's kept bringing up new stuff right up to the very end of the year - the modnation beta, the gt5 trial demo, new - pretty substantial - firmware etc. Good going.)

edit - also note how they no longer refer to them as 'PSP' minis. Just 'minis' now. First common software platform twixt PS3 and PSP.

What Sony should do is market the mini as a way to play PSN games on the go - going so far as eliminating the difference between PSN/PSP games to begin with (playable on either PS3 or PSP/mini). I'd also like to see UMD games on PSN - I know they want to sell those games in hard form, but they could get a great second chance for sales by putting them online after an initial UMD-only window.

Oneself said:
If your PS3 breaks, you won't be able to transfer the data anyways... that's very usefull :lol Backups on a portable HDD for the win.

I think its more the point that you can transfer your hard copy saves to a new PS3 before it breaks, as soony as my slim arrives I will be doing this then backing up my normal saves back onto my old PS3 and wait for it to kick the bucket.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lion Heart said:
So yeah....what the heck are PSP Minis?

It's a software platform designed for smaller games and applications (under 100mb). The development and publishing process for minis is much simpler than psp/psn, and gives a lot more control to the publisher.

From wikipedia:

Expected PSP Minis included Tetris, Fieldrunners, Minigore, Puzzle Scape, Alien Havoc, Sudoku, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Burn Zombie Burn 2D, Funky Punch, BreakQuest, MelodyBloxx, Hero of Sparta, and Championship Manager. Halfbrick will contribute four Minis: Echoes, Rocket Racing, Blastoff, and Zombies. Icon Games Entertainment has revealed it's working on four Minis: Arcade Air Hockey & Bowling, Arcade Pool & Snooker, Stuntcars and Arcade Darts Driving games too like mid.

Top Bottom