• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 firmware 3.15

U K Narayan said:
I wonder if they're even aware of the issue.

Even if they are, they certainly don't care.

OldJadedGamer said:
I gave mine up cause it was an eyesore in my living room. Words cannot describe how much I hated the look of the system. IMO the original fat is one of the ugliest home consoles ever made. When I first got my slim, I made this pic:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd140/oldjadedgamer/fatslim.jpg

Slim looks like a piece of cheap junk, sorry. And I'm not even fond of PS3Phat styling. :p

linsivvi

Kolgar said:
Browser fix, too?

3.10 broke the browser. Both my 80GB and Slim now freeze within five minutes of surfing GAF.

Pretty sure it's not 3.10. GAF only started freezing the browser about a week ago. Works fine once I turned off javascript though.

Having said that, they should really upgrade the browser. There are lots of popular sites that doesn't work at all.

Dragona Akehi said:
Slim looks like a piece of cheap junk, sorry. And I'm not even fond of PS3Phat styling. :p

The slim is the lesser of two evils. But there are other factors that make the slim better, it's not a total and complete dust magnet, one power button, super quiet, and most important... no stupid ass Spiderman font.

Speevy

Banned
Minis playable? Awesome. Now get all PSP games playable. Come on guys. It's only going to help software sales.

OldJadedGamer said:
The slim is the lesser of two evils. But there are other factors that make the slim better, it's not a total and complete dust magnet, one power button, super quiet, and most important... no stupid ass Spiderman font.
That font is super sexy, you bastard.

-PXG-

Speevy said:
Minis playable? Awesome. Now get all PSP games playable. Come on guys. It's only going to help software sales.

Seriously. There are a few PSP games I want to play, but I don't really want a PSP.

EekTheKat

hrm..slight bit of disappointment with the transfer utility, under the comments section (first page) on the euro blog this just popped up :

Posted on 8 December, 2009 at 2:56 pm by Hirndoctor
Is it possible to copy only one savegame (such as a Killzone 2 Save) on another PS3?

Posted on 8 December, 2009 at 6:49 pm by James Thorpe
Hi Hirndoctor, you can copy all PS3 save data except for game saves that are protected by the game publishers through the transfer utility. Please check in the game manual for Killzone to find out if the game saves are protected

Hopefully he's wrong, but I'm not holding my breath for copy protected saves being transferred by the utility.

[edit] Okay yeah he just posted like 8 different ways of saying "no you can't copy protected saves due to publisher's requirements."

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/12/08/ps3-system-software-update-3-15/

Goldrusher said:
• a few bug fixes for those with controller pairing issues.
How do you know this is in? Neither the U.S. nor EU blogs list anything of the sort.

It really better be included in the update though, because it's a ridiculous and annoying issue.

This feature enables you to easily transfer all of your saved data from one PS3 to another. So if you decide to get a new PS3 you can make sure you don’t loose any of your existing content. Content such as games, game save data, and videos downloaded from PlayStation Network can be transferred to the new PS3 system and deleted from the current PS3. Other content, including personal media files (photos, music, videos), can be copied onto the new PS3 and remain on the current PS3 system.
EU Blog FAIL.

Hopefully this update will sort out the fucking irritating problem (that I've only had with my new Slim - never with my old Phat) where it occasionally (frequently) decides to not detect my PS3/Blu-Ray Remote.

Also, hopefully it will make my Trophies sync. For once.

AndyD

aka andydumi
linsivvi said:
Pretty sure it's not 3.10. GAF only started freezing the browser about a week ago. Works fine once I turned off javascript though.

Having said that, they should really upgrade the browser. There are lots of popular sites that doesn't work at all.

I think its got to do with various ads that pop up. I notices some other websites that have a similar issue. I wonder if its a flash thing and not just the browser by itself.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So it's just a more streamlined version of the old Back up utility (since it doesn't need an external device to store back up file onto), retaining the same limitations. Guess I wont be getting a Slim after all.

Will it still be possible to do normal backup on an external device?

Dragona Akehi said:
Even if they are, they certainly don't care
So the issue isn't just 50 Hz menus they've authored as front-end? Will US PS3s convert 50 Hz content?

A stupid question, I know, but I mindlessly assumed the PS3 was agnostic towards input but output is specific to the region its sold. Uggh.

AndyD

aka andydumi
TTP, my wife saw your trophy count when I was looking around in there and she asked "Does he just play games for a living?". I laughed.

wonderkins said:
So the issue isn't just 50 Hz menus they've authored as front-end? Will US PS3s convert 50 Hz content?

US PS3s will convert 50hz content to 60hz automatically, as long as it is from a USB/Memstick file. ie: take an unchanged .VOB file from a PAL DVD and it plays perfectly fine on a US PS3. It has the capabilities... but stick in a region free PAL DVD? "CANNOT DISPLAY PAL BROADCAST". Stick in a region free PAL bluray that has some 50hz content? LOCK UP.

BULLSHEET.

A stupid question, I know, but I mindlessly assumed the PS3 was agnostic towards input but output is specific to the region its sold. Uggh.

It isn't stupid: I thought the same goddamned thing when getting my PS3. I know better now.

patsu

I know how many you got. I checked a couple of days ago. You're #1 and eFertlis is #2 on my friends list.

bloody hell

Shambles

OldJadedGamer said:
I gave mine up cause it was an eyesore in my living room. Words cannot describe how much I hated the look of the system. IMO the original fat is one of the ugliest home consoles ever made. When I first got my slim, I made this pic:

fatslim.jpg

I guess you can call me a chubby chaser then.

RuGalz

TTP said:
So it's just a more streamlined version of the old Back up utility (since it doesn't need an external device to store back up file onto), retaining the same limitations. Guess I wont be getting a Slim after all.

Where does the blog imply that?

Will minis running on PS3 look all jaggy, or can they upscale it somehow? i mean, I could basically already do this with PSP video out cables, right?

Aru

I think we can bet on PSP first party titles to be playable on PS3 in the future. But seeing how DD licensing already causes issues for many PSP games, I think we might not see third party PSP games playable on PS3 anytime soon.

Moreover, PSP games on PS3 would be like PS1 games on PSP => single player only.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
RuGalz said:
That's too bad and kind of dumb if they are wiping old data for you anyway.
agreed. I can understand them not allowing protected saves to be transferred to external storage first, but LAN2LAN there is no reason they couldn't transfer them when they are deleting them immediately after anyway. Probably just wanting to avoid the inevitable phone call of someone trying to create two copies of a protected save and losing it altogether only to call support and say "I lost my save I want free stuff!!"

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That's great. Was hoping for full PSP on PS3 support, but that's enough (for now).

Also, maybe this time they'll fix the Trophy syncing issues.

UFRA

borghe said:
the comments. basically said that protected game saves won't transfer...

Protected game saves DO transfer using the Backup Utility...

So, if this new transfer method retains the same limitations, then it should be just fine.

TTP said:

no, this should be additional and you CAN transfer the copyprotected savegames

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18795613&postcount=42

actually, this was one possible solution I expected from them, they use a similar system for copyprotected PS2 savegames.
It's cut-paste instead of copy-paste and with a direct transfer (no external HDD, PC etc.) - basically a "loophole" to what developers expect from copyprotected savegames but to allow the user to transfer all savegames.

though it seems to be an all-or-nothing option? I wonder how this will work with different HDD sizes and if you e.g. already restored a HDD backup before the new transfer method.
Seems to have the benefit of not having to redownload&install everything again.

Dragona Akehi said:
US PS3s will convert 50hz content to 60hz automatically, as long as it is from a USB/Memstick file. ie: take an unchanged .VOB file from a PAL DVD and it plays perfectly fine on a US PS3. It has the capabilities... but stick in a region free PAL DVD? "CANNOT DISPLAY PAL BROADCAST". Stick in a region free PAL bluray that has some 50hz content? LOCK UP.

The "50hz Video Output" option under "Video Settings" doesn't help because this only affects movies from the HDD, right?

Does this problem also occur if you have the BD output set to 24hz (if your TV is compatible)?

Oneself said:
If your PS3 breaks, you won't be able to transfer the data anyways... that's very usefull :lol Backups on a portable HDD for the win.

only in relative rare cases.

- any kind of software related error like corrupted firmware install etc. -> use PS3 "secret" Recovery menu (well, no transfer needed anyway)
- disc drive is broken -> fix it yourself or transfer everything (with the new method) to the new PS3
- YLOD -> relative many PS3s can be resurrected by either simple methods (hair dryer) or the full reflow repair - if only to buy enough time to make the backup/transfer all (with the new option).

though this sucks if you still have warranty :lol maybe transfer to a friends PS3 before you will receive the replacement console? ^^

btw:
I would like them to change the XMB ingame music output in a future firmware update.
I have it on the lowest volume setting (-4) and in some games + depending on the music this is still a bit to loud (kinda worse in stereo when I switched from DD5.1 for testing).
IMO the lowest volume should be really low. I guess on the current +4 setting you could instead just listen to your mp3 player w/o the game sound :lol

Revolver said:
Since I updated to 3.10 my game discs already in the drive no longer auto start when I turn on the system. I have to select the game from the XMB and then it'll start. If I insert a disc it'll start fine, it's just when one's already in the drive it won't automatically load. Auto start is set to "on" in the settings too. I have to assume the update caused the problem, it was working fine before.

That's not an issue. They specifically updated it to do that in one of the firmwares due to demand. Imo it's better the way it is now. Whenever I put a disc in I know I wanna play that game, but when I turn on the PS3 I don't always wanna play the game that's already inside.

Having both options would be better though.

SolidusDave said:
The "50hz Video Output" option under "Video Settings" doesn't help because this only affects movies from the HDD, right?

There is no such option on the US PS3 Video Settings.

Does this problem also occur if you have the BD output set to 24hz (if your TV is compatible)?

It's universal, yes.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
I was having a similar problem with my son's PSN account. It finally worked when i logged onto PSN early in the morning. Didnt have to hit X or anything, worked first try. It's definitely PSN traffic related.
i had those moments a time ago. at some point it would just word again. but not now. it has ben the same now or weeks and weeks. and it's not gonna change automaticly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
are there any PSN only PSP games? Or are they all minis? Whats pixeljunk monsters on PSP - mini or something else?

Just wondering whether developers will still do two SKUs. Eg gravity crash is on PS3 now, with a PSP version coming soon. Will some be tempted to do a 'mini' which is good enough on PS3? Or will they probably look a little shitty, so HD+trophies will mean there is still a market for PS3 versions, or double dipping?

and what about save syncing? Its even more relevant now that there are two different platforms sharing common games. With minis you can play on the PS3, then continue playing on the PSP while you're out. But without a way to sync save games, you can't really 'continue' in the normal understanding of the term - you just have two different versions of the game.

lupinko

androvsky said:
It's not so much implied as it is outright stated eight different times (including the bad news about Singstar songs).

What bad news about SingStar songs? It's common knowledge for SingStar owners about London Studio's draconian DRM scheme.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Carlisle said:
Awesome to see Minis on PS3, though I'm pretty sure I'll never play them on my PS3... totally defeats the purpose of "quick pick up and play time killer"

I don't really care to see full PSP games on PS3. The Go already lets you play on your TV with a PS3 controller, if you fancy the big screen. It would be the exact same thing. Putting PSP games on PS3 might help software sales, which would get devs to invest further in the platform, which is well and great. But I don't see how any versions of the hardware could survive that for very long... PSP isn't has strong as GB and GBA were where Nintendo could make a Super Gameboy and GBA Player for them. Not to mention that PSP titles are far more playable on a big screen than GB titles were.

I don't see Sony pulling anything like that unless they are in extreme desperation. Like having an empty net in the last minute of the 3rd period when you're trailing by 2. And they're not quite there yet.

But imagine this is the standard for PSP2 out of the gate. Now you have HD capable PSN/minis that look fine on a PS3. Maybe 'enhanced' when played on PS3. A true common platform with home/portability. Could be really interesting.

Not only is it good for people that want to play PSP games on their PS3, but it could also really help sell PSP2s, with people wanting to be able to take games with them to continue playing out and about.

jvm

Gamasutra.
mrklaw said:
are there any PSN only PSP games? Or are they all minis? Whats pixeljunk monsters on PSP - mini or something else?
PJM Deluxe is not a mini. And maybe we now know why...

Yes, there are PSN-only, non-mini games. No Gravity, Ape Escape Quest, and a few others. Also PJM Deluxe is an odd sorta-UMD, sorta-PSN-only release, depending on territory. Also Myst came out on UMD in EU but is PSN-only in NA.

Out of the Chute was the first PSN-only, non-UMD full game release in NA. That was quite a while ago ... Fall 2008, as I recall.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Aru said:
I think we can bet on PSP first party titles to be playable on PS3 in the future. But seeing how DD licensing already causes issues for many PSP games, I think we might not see third party PSP games playable on PS3 anytime soon.

Moreover, PSP games on PS3 would be like PS1 games on PSP => single player only.
Why? Just have the emulator translate the wi-fi output data directly into some sort of built in Ad-hoc Party.

UFRA said:
Protected game saves DO transfer using the Backup Utility...

So, if this new transfer method retains the same limitations, then it should be just fine.
Copy protected saves only copy if you swap out HDD. If you copy to a new PS3, they will not transfer. I know this by experience.

PSP games won't be playable on PS3 until Sony can make a PSP emulator running on PS3.

Revolver

Metalmurphy said:
That's not an issue. They specifically updated it to do that in one of the firmwares due to demand. Imo it's better the way it is now. Whenever I put a disc in I know I wanna play that game, but when I turn on the PS3 I don't always wanna play the game that's already inside.

Having both options would be better though.

Ah okay. Thanks for the explanation. Not a big deal to me really, it just seemed strange after all this time of doing it the other way. I was afraid something was broken.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
BoilersFan23 said:
PSP games won't be playable on PS3 until Sony can make a PSP emulator running on PS3.

But what are the Minis then? Aren't they PSP games? Or will they actually be making two versions of every game - one for the PSP, one for the PS3?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
RoadHazard said:
But what are the Minis then? Aren't they PSP games? Or will they actually be making two versions of every game - one for the PSP, one for the PS3?
PSP Minis use slightly less power than most PSP games do as per the SDK.

This is awesome news for my Mini title coming next year. Woo!

Aru

Killthee said:
Why? Just have the emulator translate the wi-fi output data directly into some sort of built in Ad-hoc Party.

lol

I'd really like to see that, but eh stop dreaming. They could have done the same with for PS1 Classics and never did it.

Why For?

Banned
data transfer between 2 PS3s linked with ethernet cable

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!

Best feature they've ever implemented. This is gona be perfect for me when I get my 250GB next year. I can get all my 80GB content across and use the 80GB exclusively as a Blu-ray player.

360 SO needs this feature as well.

Top Bottom