• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3: Ingame XMB confirmed

patsu

keyrat said:
What exactly are you expecting? Now that there won't even be a conference I'm not too confident too much will be said.

There will be a technical session on Home development kit, but that's it I think.

jaypah

deejay8595 said:
In-game Custom music is overrattttttttttttted

I mean seriously....Back in the sega,snes,psx days there wasn't custom music. If you want your custom music then put it in the cd player at your house. Devs waste money by creating their own music from bands/orchestras only by needy mfers to play rap/rock/jazz while beating missions.

but....it's the same thing just awesomely simplified, right? stop hating on my need to listen to George Formby's "At the TT Races" while i play Moto GP. plus i'm not getting up to change a CD every time i change games and need a new musical selection to accompany it. really dee, by your logic we don't need online gaming because back in the day real gamers got together and played 2 player in the same room on the same screen :p

seriously though, in-game xmb is a lot more important than CS because it'll add to the awesomeness of the PS3 while at the same time shaming XBL even further, hopefully making MS either drop the price drastically or all together.

kbear

It's probably going to release coinciding with Home. I bet it's already done. I still wish they would've just gave the simple functionality of letting us read and send messages while in-game as a stop gap. Then have the global voice chat, adding/deleting friends, etc., patched in later. It's frustrating as it is now...

tanod

when is my burrito
Vyse The Legend said:
I've used custom soundtracks on my 360 exactly 0 times. In-game friends list and message managing or bust.

Same here. If I had room to put my CD colllection on my 20GB hard drive, I would. Streaming it from my PC makes it a pain in the ass.

dabig2

With the supposed PSN overhaul happening on March 31, I'd assume it'd be set for that date. Hopefully they say something concrete about it next wee,

jaypah

tanod said:
Same here. If I had room to put my CD colllection on my 20GB hard drive, I would. Streaming it from my PC makes it a pain in the ass.

i could see that being a problem. i got an external for christmas 2 years ago to bring files back and forth to the studio and i just hook that up to the front USB. sweet musical bliss at my fingertips while i'm playing. honestly, when i go to my friends house and i forget my harddrive it's very aggravating because we have to use his stereo. yeah, even with a 3 disc cd player it gets annoying when you're used to a more convenient way.

Wollan

dabig2 said:
With the supposed PSN overhaul happening on March 31, I'd assume it'd be set for that date. Hopefully they say something concrete about it next wee,
What rumor is this? What does the rumor imply?

The Jer

It's been "coming soon" for a year now....
Geeze, just give us in-game messaging already.
It's the last feature we need, that should have been there from the beggining; it's the one major flaw with PSN.
imo, PSN remains inferior to XBL until this feature is added (price aside); after this feature is added it will be the superior service.

The Jer

Fatghost said:
meaningless if it doesn't also provide custom soundtracks in every game.
Fatghost said:
Custom soundtracks >>>> cross game invites/messages.
quiet you.

in-game messaging is a necessary feature.
custom soundtracks is a nice feature. But, it isn't that important of a feature and it means little.
We don't need to suggest a bazillion random features, but we should focus on the features that are really important and need to come out as soon as possible (ie. in-game messaging and home).

Jaeyden

dabig2 said:
But, you never know. Supposedly some beta testers said something was going around on this date too a month or so ago.

IIRC it's when the current beta is "supposed" to end. A weak rumor at best IMO.

The Jer said:
It's been "coming soon" for a year now....
Geeze, just give us in-game messaging already.
It's the last feature we need, that should have been there from the beggining; it's the one major flaw with PSN. imo, PSN remains inferior to XBL until this feature is added (price aside); after this feature is added it will be the superior service.

Yup.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
the_id said:
Yeah, this is one of the main reason why custom soundtrack is needed.

Same here what I usually do is bust out with the Zune or PC and just play my playlists/folders till I get tired of playing.

Truespeed

I thought this was common knowledge. Anyway, word is that the PSN will be getting a total overhaul in April. And let's face it, anything would be better than that half assed web page they're currently using.

Wollan

kylej said:
Give me Home at GDC, Sony. c'mon :mad:
The absolute best you can hope for, the absolute best realistic thing would be to be able to sign up for the public beta which will take place at a later time.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Wollan said:
The absolute best you can hope for, the absolute best realistic thing would be to be able to sign up for the public beta which will take place at a later time.

Very depressing if they don't at least mention a release date on it.

The Jer

Truespeed said:
I thought this was common knowledge. Anyway, word is that the PSN will be getting a total overhaul in April. And let's face it, anything would be better than that half assed web page they're currently using.
and this is common knowledge why?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Wollan said:

wasnt it set for spring?

Wollan

Tiduz said:
wasnt it set for spring?
Sure. It's just that I believe current testers would hear rumblings if something as big as the Beta opening up to tens of thousands more next week. I mean, it's not impossible that Sony could do something like that next week but I find it unrealistic.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Wollan said:
Sure. It's just that I believe current testers would hear rumblings if something as big as the Beta opening up to tens of thousands more next week. I mean, it's not impossible that Sony could do something like that next week but I find it unrealistic.

verry good point, i wont expect anything because i have been dissapointed about this too many times to count. ill just let it be a surprise when it finally arrives :)

The Jer

Tiduz said:
wasnt it set for spring?
wasn't it set for early fall of last year at one point?

dates don't seem to mean anything anymore, I think we just take that wait and see and then wait some more approach.

a little OT, but since we are talking about Sony at GDC, can we expect to see new stuff on KZ2, InFamous, and LBP at GDC next week? I mean they aren't having a press confrence but they are going to have their 2008 titles there with fresh info. right?

tanod said:
Vyse The Legend said:
I've used custom soundtracks on my 360 exactly 0 times. In-game friends list and message managing or bust.
i use it all the time, and stream from my HDD, and it's not only quick and painless, but it's also awesome.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
The Jer said:
quiet you.

in-game messaging is a necessary feature.
custom soundtracks is a nice feature. But, it isn't that important of a feature and it means little.
We don't need to suggest a bazillion random features, but we should focus on the features that are really important and need to come out as soon as possible (ie. in-game messaging and home).

Custom soundtracks are much more useful than home. It improves almost the entire library of titles and is useful in online and single player games alike.

The Jer

Fatghost said:
Custom soundtracks are much more useful than home. It improves almost the entire library of titles and is useful in online and single player games alike.
eh, home may have been a bad example...
unless it has features like game launching.
I couldn't think of anything as equally important as in-game messaging and friend's list functionality off the bat.

...but, I've never used home, so I shouldn't comment on its usefulness or un-usefulleness anyways...

Truespeed said:
Because I updated the Wikipedia entry personally.
well, then.

Snah

Banned
DevilWillcry said:
a little OT, but since we are talking about Sony at GDC, can we expect to see new stuff on KZ2, InFamous, and LBP at GDC next week? I mean they aren't having a press confrence but they are going to have their 2008 titles there with fresh info. right?

I would like to know this as well...

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
The Faceless Master said:
you need A before B, or else how would you operate B?

damnit people, quit saying this, it's not true. You do NOT need in-game XMB access to have custom soundtracks. In-game XMB access would mean you would also have friends lists, messaging, etc. You ONLY need a program to manage the soundtrack. How the hell do you guys think MLB is doing it? They don't fucking have in-game XMB.

For what it's worth though, in-game XMB by a good country fucking mile over custom soundtracks.

Top Bottom