• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS3] New Kingdom Hearts HD Screenshots

Squire

Banned
I know for me, I have been waiting for it to return to consoles for 7 years now... so I will happily purchase the HD collections. I wanted to replay KH 1 and 2 anyway.

Same here! Especially KH2. Played that four times in a row at launch.

I prefer the series on handhelds, but I certainly won't say no to an HD port. I'm eager to see if it can change my feelings on the first game, which I didn't feel had aged very well the last time I played (which was around a year ago).

I know for me, I have been waiting for it to return to consoles for 7 years now... so I will happily purchase the HD collections. I wanted to replay KH 1 and 2 anyway.
I'm pretty damn excited too. Especially looking forward to a console-playable version of BBS. Best game in the series by far.

lantus

I prefer the series on handhelds, but I certainly won't say no to an HD port. I'm eager to see if it can change my feelings on the first game, which I didn't feel had aged very well the last time I played (which was around a year ago).

The camera changes alone make it a must buy for me. That fix should make the game much more pleasant.

Narolf

Banned
I wonder if his aversion is because he doesn't know how to translate the KH style into HD that well? Not talking about resolution bumps with these collections, but a ground-up HD game. I would say "use the same style but make everything in HD" but I assume it isn't that easy.

He really doesn't. The series has been maintained on hand-held for so long because he ultimately doesn't know how to make a brand-new (as in more than a fan-milking HD port) KH on PS3 that can live up to the expectations. Yep.

They doing anything with the audio?

Rerecording some tracks (Some of the tracks had a soundfont in there and the PS2 used it's midi chip) Now the tracks will be fully orchestrated. Days soundtrack will be fully orchestrated now too.

5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound confirmed.

The camera changes alone make it a must buy for me. That fix should make the game much more pleasant.
Triangle to execute special commands and summon being moved to the bottom should do a LOT to cut down on menu navigation during combat, too. I'm just hoping they also add more spell shortcuts and/or the ability to have items on shortcut. Two shortcuts are pretty much always taken up by Curaga and Aeroga in the endgame, plus one offensive spell; it'd be nice to have Elixir on shortcut, or tactical spells like Graviga and Stopga, and so on.

The changes specific to the HD port along with the stuff that was already introduced in Final Mix should hopefully make this much more bearable to play than vanilla KH1.

What changes are there exactly ?

-Combo Master and Exp Zero abilities
-Critical Mode?
-Updated high textures and models
-Remastered Soundtrack (In 5.1 dolby digital surround)
-Final Mix Extras
-Camera mapped to R3 stick
-Menu switch to KH2 (Reaction Commands)
-Cutscenes are in there original 16x9 aspect ratio rather then black bars; Gameplay has been extended to 16x9
-Apparently (1440x810p30 w/ 2xMSAA, 1280x720p30 w/ 4xMSAA)
-Ability to switch between Japanese and English voices (Hopefully ability to switch text and other languages are available)
-Trophy support

That's it I think aside from the 3 hour 358/2 Days movie and RE:COM

Craiji

Rerecording some tracks (Some of the tracks had a soundfont in there and the PS2 used it's midi chip) Now the tracks will be fully orchestrated. Days soundtrack will be fully orchestrated now too.

5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound confirmed.

Damn, was hoping for uncompressed 5.1 at least.

-Combo Master and Exp Zero abilities
-Critical Mode?
-Updated high textures and models
-Remastered Soundtrack (In 5.1 dolby digital surround)
-Final Mix Extras
-Camera mapped to R3 stick
-Menu switch to KH2 (Reaction Commands)
-Cutscenes are in there original 16x9 aspect ratio rather then black bars; Gameplay has been extended to 16x9
-Apparently (1440x810p30 w/ 2xMSAA, 1280x720p30 w/ 4xMSAA)
-Ability to switch between Japanese and English voices (Hopefully ability to switch text and other languages are available)
-Trophy support

That's it I think aside from the 3 hour 358/2 Days movie and RE:COM
I wonder if they'll make AP Ups easier to obtain because of those additional abilities. Combo Master ought to make some things somewhat more interesting.

Are AP Ups (plus Defense Ups and Magic Ups) easier to obtain in Final Mix than they were in OG KH1?

The Lamp

This just makes me more excited for the inevitable KH2FM package...KH2FM was a beast in terms of content compared to crappy vanilla KH2.

This just makes me more excited for the inevitable KH2FM package...KH2FM was a beast in terms of content compared to crappy vanilla KH2.
Yeah, the Final Mixes for KH2 and BBS were both pretty great in that regard. Makes me look forward to that KH2FM+BBSFM+DDD cutscenes collection.

Narolf

Banned
Don't recall anyone saying that. KH2 FM+'s CM is clearly difficult tho, not as much as it should, but a decent challenge still for it requires you to invest some thought into the battle system. KH1 is easy all along, except when it comes to FM's Unknown. Both systems feel like a waste.

Yeah, the inevitable KHIIFM and BBSFM in HD is what I'm looking forward to the most.

KHIIFM was the Vesperia PS3 of it's time, at least in regards to additional content.

Dereck

You can grind the Data Versions of those members for infinite AP Up, Attack Up, Magic Up, and Defense Up, right?
You said grind like they were easy, if you manage to beat one you can get that stuff but even at level 99 they eat you up. I wasn't very good at KHII solo fights though.

I just wish KH1FM would allow the same thing and let you grind Ice Titan, Sephiroth, and, I dunno, a Coliseum version of Kurt Zisa to farm AP/Strength/Defense Ups. Having to farm synthesis materials instead is so dull and tedious.

You can grind the Data Versions of those members for infinite AP Up, Attack Up, Magic Up, and Defense Up, right?

Yeah, Off the top of my head, I know Roxas gives Magic Boosts, Xemnas gives Attack, and Saix (along with someone else) gives Defense. Can't remember who gives AP.

Grinding boosts only goes so far though, since all stats cap at 80, IIRC.

I just wish KH1FM would allow the same thing and let you grind Ice Titan, Sephiroth, and, I dunno, a Coliseum version of Kurt Zisa to farm AP/Strength/Defense Ups. Having to farm synthesis materials instead is so dull and tedious.

Agreed. Doesn't help that KH1FM managed to make synthesizing even more tedious than in the initial release. I don't think I ever bothered getting Ultima Weapon in Final Mix because of that.

Plenty of PS3 games have LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 audio.

Then it will probably have that. I know it's 5.1 channels. I don't know it's losseless or not. I assumed Dolby Digital since that's what most games have. However if there is space on the disc then they can put in the lossless music.

Famassu

To back what I said above, Nomura says nowadays that he wants KH to be back on consoles, while he was reluctant to explore modern hardware two years ago and preferred side-line episodes to be on hand-held for them to be as similar as the two PS2's KH;
You're not reading that right. Nomura has had no reluctance to "explore modern hardware" (come on, he's directing what is probably the biggest FF project so far). Kingdom Hearts III was always going to be a console game and, in fact, one of the reasons why they originally decided to develop Versus XIII first was because he had such big plans for Kingdom Hearts III that he felt he & his team needed perfect understanding of Playstation 3's capabilities to be able to pull it off. The only reluctance for developing KHIII were story-related reasons (he felt certain things needed to still be explored before III). Also, in 2010 he was still of the opinion that they couldn't start working on KHIII because KH Team is tied to Versus, but nowadays he considers the Osaka team as pretty much the ("main") KH Team, so they've probably begun working on III at some level already.

In that interview Nomura is saying that he'd prefer for KHIII to be a PS3(60) project because if it isn't, it means it will be for the Orbis/Durango generation and that will delay the game, which he doesn't want and knows fans don't want either. It has nothing to do with reluctance to work on current gen consoles.

yet he effectively goes back on consoles with a... HD port.
They're coming back to consoles with HD ports because they finally acknowledged that spreading the games on four different platforms wasn't that wise + the first game was released over 10 years ago and they have to do something to fix the situation because it's still continuing the same story.

It's the same kind of damage-control as when they say they will tackle Versus for good after Type-0 and XIII-2, but end up stuffing you with another appetizer while still talking about it in riddles: after but not immediately after.
That was probably before they fully understood the XIV catastrophe and how much it would take to fix it. Had XIV not been as broken as to need such huge turnover, Versus would probably have been out by now.

Narolf

Banned
You're not reading that right.

To be fair, I only read the short summarized version of the interview, I didn't read the whole thing. It's that I distinctly remember Nomura saying the choice for hand-held was intended, for game-design purposes, but also to let the games remain close to the PS2's episodes.

Les trois jeux nommés Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Kingdom Hearts Coded et Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep se sont très bien vendus, qu'en pensez-vous ?

Nomura: C'était très dur, mais aussi très amusant. Ce fût un défi sur plusieurs points, et j'ai trouvé des éléments que je peux utiliser maintenant. Je pense surtout que le fait de sortir les jeux sur différentes consoles était une très bonne chose. Par exemple, sur PSP, nous pouvons utiliser les mêmes contrôles que la série originales. Mais, comme la Nintendo DS n'avait pas de joystick, nous avons inventé un système de deck. Et surtout, nous avions un jeu qui n'était pas sur console mais sur portable, nous devions donc faire un jeu simple, mais restant un véritable Kingdom Hearts. J'ai beaucoup appris grâce à ces expériences.

I think releasing those three games on three different platforms was a very good thing.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the source to back the PS2 part, but I do remember reading it in the due time, in 2010. At any rate, it may have been nothing but poor wording on the reporter's part.

So yeah, I ultimately don't think he is the kind to make shit up like folks out there are so inclined to believe (design aside, guess Nomura is also partly responsible for Lightning being that bad of a character right? More of this later in the LR's thread, folks). He doesn't resort to marketing/obscure language like Kitase, rather loses in translation and redistribution of information over sites fail at conveying his visions. He remains an artist more than a commercial.

The Lamp

As easy as everyone says the games are I suck at KH except for COM. Even proud mode in KH2 infuriated me. It's too easy to get cheaply hit and be completely incapable from recovering from an enemy combo :(

You're not reading that right. Nomura has had no reluctance to "explore modern hardware" (come on, he's directing what is probably the biggest FF project so far). Kingdom Hearts III was always going to be a console game and, in fact, one of the reasons why they originally decided to develop Versus XIII first was because he had such big plans for Kingdom Hearts III that he felt he & his team needed perfect understanding of Playstation 3's capabilities to be able to pull it off. The only reluctance for developing KHIII were story-related reasons (he felt certain things needed to still be explored before III). Also, in 2010 he was still of the opinion that they couldn't start working on KHIII because KH Team is tied to Versus, but nowadays he considers the Osaka team as pretty much the ("main") KH Team, so they've probably begun working on III at some level already.

That was probably before they fully understood the XIV catastrophe and how much it would take to fix it. Had XIV not been as broken as to need such huge turnover, Versus would probably have been out by now.

I definitely agree with most of what you said, however I don't think that Versus would have been delayed by XIV's disaster. You'd think it would be sped up. So the only reasonable thing in my mind is that Versus switched to next gen before XIV bombed but there was no going back.

This leads me to think if there is work being done on KH3 it is on Next gen consoles.

Yeah, Off the top of my head, I know Roxas gives Magic Boosts, Xemnas gives Attack, and Saix (along with someone else) gives Defense. Can't remember who gives AP.

Grinding boosts only goes so far though, since all stats cap at 80, IIRC.

Agreed. Doesn't help that KH1FM managed to make synthesizing even more tedious than in the initial release. I don't think I ever bothered getting Ultima Weapon in Final Mix because of that.
Synthesis is even worse? :-(

Synthesis is even worse? :-(
You now need materials from the new heartless to make the best items. Some of them are straight up hard (NeoShadow), others annoying (Pink Agaricus, the new ghost, the sniper monkeys).

Well, that I would still do considering they're recording some new stuff for the English version.
Oh yeah, forgot about Days. Well, considering that I played RE:CoM in japanese only and didn't have too many problems with the story, it's still a possibility. Tough, if they keep the dual audio for the english release (unlikely) or release the game in Chinese/English a la FFXIII, I can wait.

Famassu

To be fair, I only read the short summarized version of the interview, I didn't read the whole thing. It's that I distinctly remember Nomura saying the choice for hand-held was intended, for game-design purposes, but also to let the games remain close to the PS2's episodes.
Well, like I said, after KHII's story Nomura felt there were things that should be touched upon (story-wise) before KHIII could happen. At first he wasn't sure how approach all of those events (he knew he needed more than one game). He knew that two or three full-blown console games aren't possible. They'd take too long & SQEX simply didn't have the workforce to do this, so portables were the only option (could be developed by smaller teams), they were done out of necessity. Nintendo approached SE for a KH game so that became Days, PSP was probably a good choice for BBS since it was a PS2 level handheld (at a time when PS2 was close to death) & Osaka team had proven themselves to be able to handle the development of PS2 level games. It was to be a game comparable to mainline games in the franchise, so obviously DS wasn't the platform to go to.

So yeah, I ultimately don't think he is the kind to make shit up like folks out there are so inclined to believe
Everything I've read about Nomura paints him as a very nice & honest person who'd be a great boss to have (he's not a dictator, but someone who let's creativity of the development teams flourish, encouraging people to bring their own ideas into the mix, yet giving his honest opinion/criticism on stuff that is being worked on as well), he just sometimes sounds cryptic because he needs to be (IIRC there have been a couple of cases where there has been some PR guy who has prevented Nomura from answering some questions during the interview). The whole "please wait for awhile" meme exists because that's all they are allowing him to say about Versus.

(design aside, guess Nomura is also partly responsible for Lightning being that bad of a character right?
I'm not sure how, he designed the characters as per Toriyama's request. I don't think he had much to do with how she turned out otherwise (though, not that Nomura's involvement would've helped).

I definitely agree with most of what you said, however I don't think that Versus would have been delayed by XIV's disaster. You'd think it would be sped up. So the only reasonable thing in my mind is that Versus switched to next gen before XIV bombed but there was no going back.
Even Wada has admitted that fixing XIV has crippled their HD development, so it's definitely a possibility that had XIV 1.0 been considerable better, we'd probably have a much different situation at our hands nowadays.

And I seriously don't think Versus has become a next-gen project. It'll just be the FFIX & XII of this generation (the last FF of the generation that arrives when the next generation has already begun). As much as it doesn't seem like it due to the current situation, they probably do want to get Versus out as soon as it is possible given the decisions they have made (that is, fixing XIV). Moving it to next-gen would simply make it take even longer and at this point I'm sure they'd rather not let that happen after all the delays the game has gone through (but they still don't want to rush it out at this point before they feel it's finished, even if it has taken long).

Top Bottom