• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Oblivion Delayed

Cheeto

For the lazy such as myself.
November 09, 2006 - Bethesda managed to wrestle the gamepad away from us long enough to post that The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for the Playstation 3 has been delayed until Q1 of next year. They also wanted to clarify that the digital and boxed copies for Knights of the Nine are different:

The retail version of Knights of the Nine is a collection (for PC) that includes Knights of the Nine plus all the other DLC released to date. That's why it's $19.99. If you want just Knights of the Nine for PC, you can download it for $9.99 and get just that DLC without the rest of it. Same on 360…800 points for just Knights of the Nine. A retail version for 360 isn't technically feasible at this time. If/when it becomes a possibility we'll let folks know; it's certainly something we'd like to offer. Release date for Knights of the Nine is 11/21 for the retail version as well as the 360 version on Xbox Live. It will be available to download for PC on 12/4.

You could see this coming when it was revealed they hadn't gotten what they needed to add microtransactions to the game. It's the same reason Sonic PS3 was delayed for a bit. Gotta make that extra money. :p

Elios83

It was really difficult to believe that games like Oblivion and Fear would be launch titles without being shown in playable form on PS3 ever.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
No excuse for this, unless the PS3 is really just that hard to develop for.

Edit: Elios thats actually a really good point, makes perfect sense.

Well Microsoft lucked into a timed exclusive (functionally).

That sucks for PS2 only gamers who are buying a PS3. Oblivion gives them a taste of something that user base has never experienced before.

On the plus side, at least they aren't rushing this to meet launch. The last thing Oblivion needs is more bugs IMO.

Great game but, becuase of its grand scope, somewhat buggy.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ok well now that means at launch all I'm getting is RR7?

I may need to rethink this launch purchase...

Somebody list the US launch titles?

Razoric

Banned
Mejilan said:
When's the PC version getting the extra content?

umm

The retail version of Knights of the Nine is a collection (for PC) that includes Knights of the Nine plus all the other DLC released to date. That's why it's $19.99. If you want just Knights of the Nine for PC, you can download it for $9.99 and get just that DLC without the rest of it. Same on 360…800 points for just Knights of the Nine. A retail version for 360 isn't technically feasible at this time. If/when it becomes a possibility we'll let folks know; it's certainly something we'd like to offer. Release date for Knights of the Nine is 11/21 for the retail version as well as the 360 version on Xbox Live. It will be available to download for PC on 12/4.

God, I hate this stuff. Publishers should start overshooting release dates, instead of alluring to firm dates then backing them off. It would sound better if a publisher released a game earlier than the given date than later. Somehow this will get blamed on Sony, cause it's the cool thing to do

ghostmind

IF i get a launch PS3, the only game i would be picking up is Resistance. I don't see anything else that would pique my interest until MotorStorm in March (?)...

Razoric

Banned
bigfatgameguy said:
God, I hate this stuff. Publishers should start overshooting release dates, instead of alluring to firm dates then backing them off. It would sound better if a publisher released a game earlier than the given date than later. Somehow this will get blamed on Sony, cause it's the cool thing to do

Sony only has 400k systems at launch (if that).

Sony hasn't provided them with all the tools to do DLC.

Yeah why does Sony get all the blame. :|

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
bigfatgameguy said:
I pretty much agree with that. THP8 should of been delayed imo.

DarienA

Razoric said:
Sony only has 400k systems at launch (if that).

Sony hasn't provided them with all the tools to do DLC.

Yeah why does Sony get all the blame. :|

What does any of that have to do with the topic of this thread?

So there really is no difference between the PS3 version and 360 version. BOTH got delayed from launch until first quarter of the next year.

IJoel

I haven't kept up with this new quest. How long and thorough is this update? Does it include new assets, rather than a reuse of the existing ones?

Vangellis said:
Lol, its pretty funny though that the PC and Xbox360 get the new content before the PS3 now

True, Bethesda pretty much blew some of the selling potential of this game. The "sort of" exclusive content will probably be out for other versions first and the game was going to to be a high demand launch pick up due to alot of factors that usually inflate sales for launch games.

Oblivion helped sell me on the 360. It will probably sell people on the PS3 as well.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
So there really is no difference between the PS3 version and 360 version. BOTH got delayed from launch until first quarter of the next year.

GRAW and Oblivion PS3 versions along with PS3 restocking in March confirmed :p

birdchili

delayed because of launch quantities of the ps3 almost certainly. this game could sell another million on the ps3, but not until there are a few systems actually out there (ie: not launch).

the guy from Bethesda (i forget who (edit: Pete Hines)) suggested they had thought along these lines during the next-gen.biz podcast he was a guest on.

edit: somewhere in 'episode 8' - link from http://podcast.next-gen.biz/

Voodoo Extreme, never heard of this part of IGN.

Bethesda is weak, first they cripple the PC version, now they delay PS3 version, they have to hate money, somehow I can't imagine how anyone will buy year old game over MotorStorm or Heavenly Sword.

REV 09

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
True, Bethesda pretty much blew some of the selling potential of this game. The "sort of" exclusive content will probably be out for other versions first and the game was going to to be a high demand launch pick up due to alot of factors that usually inflate sales for launch games.
i don't think Oblivion missing launch will hurt PS3 sales. It may actually help sales when a handful of quality titles release at the same time around march/april...oblivion being one of them. March seems like the real launch for the PS3 anyways. I'll probably be searching for one around that time.

DarienA

Razoric said:
What? Are you kidding?

Actually no I'm not, how are you pinning Bethesda delay of Oblivion on Sony? This doesn't have to do with adding DLC hooks, are you running with the theory that it's because they've now decided they want to wait til the userbase gets larger? Why now? Just before launch? They've known how many US units Sony was going to have available for a bit now. As an aside I really think I'm done with this launch now.

Scotch

birdchili said:
delayed because of launch quantities of the ps3 almost certainly. this game could sell another million on the ps3, but not until there are a few systems actually out there (ie: not launch).

the guy from Bethesda (i forget who) suggested they had thought along these lines during the next-gen.biz podcast he was a guest on.
Yeah this is basically what I came in to say.

The Bethesda guy sounded really unhappy about the launch quantities, so the delay was kind of to be expected.

jjasper

Cool I just started my game yesterday and was interested in Knights of the Nine, how much is 800pts anyway?

Elhandro

birdchili said:

the guy from Bethesda (i forget who (edit: Pete Hines)) suggested they had thought along these lines during the next-gen.biz podcast he was a guest on.

Bingo...........

The rest of you are way off. This game has been ready for a while now, The guy from bethesda flat out said that they would consider a delay if there weren't enough PS3's for launch. It seems like everyone is bailing out on sony this year. Which would indicate that shipments are going to be a lot harder to come by, then initial stated. This is going to be even worse than the 360 debacle last year.

-Blood on the streets.....

El

Kingpen

Yeah, the PS3 launch is really dwindling.....

I think a lot of the casuals will probably buy a PS3 with Resistance to at least have something. It make the compelling argument though of 'why not buy a 360, get Gears of War (which has a very good possibility of rating higher then resistance now since the scores have come out) and save some money (anywhere between 50 and 150 bucks)

jeremy1456

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
That sucks for PS2 only gamers who are buying a PS3. Oblivion gives them a taste of something that user base has never experienced before.

Dude what are you talking about? The PS2 has more than it's fair share of bad RPGs.

Kidding.

Razoric

Banned
DarienA said:
Actually no I'm not, how are you pinning Bethesda delay of Oblivion on Sony? This doesn't have to do with adding DLC hooks, are you running with the theory that it's because they've now decided they want to wait til the userbase gets larger? Why now? Just before launch? They've known how many US units Sony was going to have available for a bit now. As an aside I really think I'm done with this launch now.

Listen to Next-Gen Podcast 8 when a Bethesda guy outright admits there is constant internal debates about the PS3 launch quantities. Launching next spring when Sony provides more PNP tool docs (if they are still lacking) and has more systems out there (and in europe) makes much better sense.

My response to the other guy was merely stating that Sony is not free from blame with this delay. If I were a publisher, I'd sure as hell be nervous about launching a PS3 game this fall (especially if rumors are true about the lack of PNP support). By the time the quantities get high enough to warrent high sales, my game would be old hat.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
birdchili said:

Exactly what I was going to post. Pete did a good job of "saying the right thing" in regards to bringing Oblivion to the PS3, but some of his more off-the-cuff remarks certainly made it sound like the way Sony was handling this launch was leaving a bad taste in his and other devs' mouths.

<3 Next-Gen podcast, 1up Yours, and 1up Show

EDIT:
Razoric said:
Listen to Next-Gen Podcast 8 when a Bethesda guy outright admits there is constant internal debates about the PS3 launch quantities.
It makes me wonder if they would really just reach a point where their content in the PS3 has "caught up" with the PC and Xbox 360 versions, and then they would simply shelve the finished product and move the whole team onto another project
Fallout 3, please
? Then they would simply have the discs manufactured a couple weeks to a month before they are ready to release the PS3 SKU to retail.

Is that feasable? Or would they really keep a full team working on polishing and QA testing a title that is essentially a "port-over", and by all accounts nearly ready to be shipped right now?

Soul4ger

PS3 launch:

Ridge Racer
Untold Legends
Resistance
NBA 2K7
NHL 2K7
Madden 2007
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Marvel: UA
Call of Dooty 3
Gundam
Blazing Angels

Uhhh...

Genji
Rainbow Six: Vegas?

Is that it?

itsme

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Well Microsoft lucked into a timed exclusive (functionally).

On the plus side, at least they aren't rushing this to meet launch. The last thing Oblivion needs is more bugs IMO.

Great game but, becuase of its grand scope, somewhat buggy.

As a JRPGer, I don't care too much about PC RPGs. I'm sure the feeling is mutual for PC RPGers regarding JRPGs.

DarienA

gamergirly said:
This poor launch is going to bite Sony

Soul4ger said:
PS3 launch:

Ridge Racer
Untold Legends
Resistance
NBA 2K7
NHL 2K7
Madden 2007
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Marvel: UA
Call of Dooty 3
Gundam
Blazing Angels

Uhhh...

Genji
Rainbow Six: Vegas?

Is that it?

Is this a poor launch?

I have to ask though so hear me out on this one. Most of your upfront purchase folks who are actually going to PLAY the thing are going to be looking for sports games and fps.... that's the reality of it. EA is representing with Madden, 2K has some titles... you've got your Call of Duty and Resistance.

So while the # of launch titles is low, I think the ones that most folks are going to purchase(quality-wise) folks are probably going to be pretty happy with them.

It's just me who is pretty much out of luck at this point as my genre's aren't well represented.

EDIT: I got your point Razor, thanks.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Very disappointing, if you dont like FPSs then what is left besides a bunch of multiplatform games of questionable quality that will probably be better on the 360 because of online? Are Ridge Racer and Resistance worth forgoing ebay profits?

Top Bottom