• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Oblivion Delayed

Yes this is still partially Sony's fault but i'm sure they are like...hmm release with only 400 consoles are later when there is over a million sold. Regardless I doubt they are going to optimize the game so it runs better.

FYI Sony sucks and is the devil :)

DarienA said:
Is this a poor launch?

I have to ask though so hear me out on this one. Most of your upfront purchase folks who are actually going to PLAY the thing are going to be looking for sports games and fps.... that's the reality of it. EA is representing with Madden, 2K has some titles... you've got your Call of Duty and Resistance.

So while the # of launch titles is low, I think the ones that most folks are going to purchase(quality-wise) folks are probably going to be pretty happy with them.

It's just me who is pretty much out of luck at this point as my genre's aren't well represented.

Well, just subtract those people who are just buying a PS3 to Ebay it or just for bragging rights. Look at those who are going to buy the system for the GAMES. I mean, a great deal of the launch games are multiplatform releases. Are you really going to pay $100 more for the same game you can get on 360? The PS3 versus 360 "technical" aspects is bullshit. For all intents and purposes, the two systems are producing VERY similar results.

The price has to be justified. With that said, PS3 will sell out, especially with the low quanitity but beyond that, beyond the hardcore, are going to be casuals buying it. What are they going to buy it for?

----

Banned
Soul4ger said:
PS3 launch:

Ridge Racer
Untold Legends
Resistance
NBA 2K7
NHL 2K7
Madden 2007
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Marvel: UA
Call of Dooty 3
Gundam
Blazing Angels

Uhhh...

Genji
Rainbow Six: Vegas?

Is that it?
Rainbow Six Vegas got delayed too.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
itsme said:
As a JRPGer, I don't care too much about PC RPGs. I'm sure the feeling is mutual for PC RPGers regarding JRPGs.

RACIST! I'm an equal opportunity RPGer. Why can't there be love?

I can see it as releasing it when more systems are out, but still, its been known for a while what the launch quantities are, and they even allowed OPM do a cover story on it and saying it would be a launch game. If they knew the initial install base, why let that happen. It sounded in the OPM article it was good to go.

Dahbomb

I think its funny that people are judging the quality of a console launch to the overall quality of the console itself. Didn't you guys learn your lesson with the past launches? Good/bad launches are not at all indicative of the quality of a console in the long run, it never has been the case. If you get a PS3 then you are probably holding out on a AAA franchise later down the line.

How many console launches is it going to take for people to realize this?

For the record, I do admit the PS3's launch sucks except for Resistance. There really is no denying it and I would say its marginally better than the PS2 launch (another launch debacle).

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The launch lineup is passable for people who don't have a 360 and have no intention of ever getting one (for whatever reason.) Although how many of these people exist? If you're big on playing Japanese games and making fun of the art of Western games you would never deign to play (a theoretical description of some people who know today that they will never buy a 360) this launch has almost nothing for you.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
gamergirly said:
Well, just subtract those people who are just buying a PS3 to Ebay it or just for bragging rights. Look at those who are going to buy the system for the GAMES. I mean, a great deal of the launch games are multiplatform releases. Are you really going to pay $100 more for the same game you can get on 360? The PS3 versus 360 "technical" aspects is bullshit. For all intents and purposes, the two systems are producing VERY similar results.

The price has to be justified. With that said, PS3 will sell out, especially with the low quanitity but beyond that, beyond the hardcore, are going to be casuals buying it. What are they going to buy it for?

First off let me say that Casuals don't buy launch systems. Ok with that out of the way the only evidence I have to go on is what I saw when I reserved my system. EVERY person in line with me reserved some combination of the following games (Madden, Resistance, COD, Ridge Racer 7). I find it hard to believe it was much different elsewhere...

So I think those initial folks are going to be happy... but there's a definitely lull after that... in December? Jan? trickling of titles.... something is gonna have to change. But that's a whole other story.

Wow that was quick ebgames has already updated their release date for Oblivion.

bigfatgameguy said:
I can see it as releasing it when more systems are out, but still, its been known for a while what the launch quantities are, and they even allowed OPM do a cover story on it and saying it would be a launch game. If they knew the initial install base, why let that happen.

Cell and RSX = Nightmare

/thread

Soul4ger said:
PS3 launch:

Ridge Racer
Untold Legends
Resistance
NBA 2K7
NHL 2K7
Madden 2007
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Call of Dooty 3
Gundam
Blazing Angels

Uhhh...

Genji

Is that it?

Sony
Resistance
Genji 2
NBA 07

EA
Madden 07
Tiger Woods 07
Need For Speed: Carbon
Fight Night: R3 (launch window = mid-December)

Activision
Tony Hawk: Project 8
Call of Duty 3
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Take-Two
NBA 2k7
NHL 2k7

Namco
Ridge Racer
Gundam

Ubisoft
Blazing Angels

Sony Online
Untold Legends

Sega
Full Auto 2

Delayed
Sonic - 2-3 weeks
FEAR
Oblivion (which wasn't confirmed until about a month or so ago)
Rainbow Six: Vegas (unofficially, by reports, iirc)

Cancelled
NBA Live 07 (which wasn't set to be a launch title)

----

Banned
Full Auto 2 looks like it was pushed back to December. EBgames has Rainbow Six Vegas as 12/19. So there is a chance it may make it out this year.

Foil

Hey, maybe now they can actually put all the previous X360 DLC on the friggin PS3 retail disc for Oblivion.

Unison said:
I guess that makes Marvel Ultimate Alliance the best PS3 launch game then.

Resistance, Ridge Racer, and probably Call of Duty 3 will be better. Although, Marvel: UA at 1080p is tempting.

Unison

sonycowboy said:
Resistance, Ridge Racer, and probably Call of Duty 3 will be better. Although, Marvel: UA at 1080p is tempting.

I didn't much like what I played of Resistance (it's such a bland game / not having rumble in a FPS sucks / 360 pad is better for FPS games), but maybe those other two will be on MUA's level.

DarienA

January's release list is looking PRETTTTY skimpy. December ain't exactly full of lots of titles either, though if that's a solid date for Fight Night it'll probably do ok.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Dahbomb said:
If you get a PS3 then you are probably holding out on a AAA franchise later down the line.

In that case, why even bother buying a PS3 at launch if you're just waiting for something better? Waste of time, effort, and money imo.

sonycowboy said:

To compare which PS3 games are the best, you factor in resolution? Pixel slut. :lol

DarienA said:
Ok well now that means at launch all I'm getting is RR7?

I may need to rethink this launch purchase...

Somebody list the US launch titles?
Buy FULL AUTO 2. The online is going to be massive fun. Its the sleeper title. Go check some vids : )

Ridge racer
Full Auto 2
Resistence
MotorStorm

All my exclusive launch title still intact : )
(see now thats how to spin news, come on slackers)

beermonkey@tehbias said:
To compare which PS3 games are the best, you factor in resolution? Pixel slut. :lol

Not really. For most people I wouldn't consider it a draw, but Galactus @ 1080P :O :O
It's doing quite well at retail from what I can gather (we'll find out in minutes), and the collection of characters appears to be the best ever put on a video game.

When we had Pete Hines from Bethesda on the Next-Gen podcast (episode 8), he confirmed that the launch window sales cap was a "huge concern" for them and that they had had several discussions about shelving the launch until more units had been released. So I wouldn't dismiss that theory at all.

DarienA

BobTheFork said:
Buy FULL AUTO 2. The online is going to be massive fun. Its the sleeper title. Go check some vids : )

Ridge racer
Full Auto 2
Resistence
MotorStorm

All my exclusive launch title still intact : )
(see now thats how to spin news, come on slackers)

Motor Storm and Full Auto aren't launch titles last time I checked...

Unison

sonycowboy said:
Not really. For most people I wouldn't consider it a draw, but Galactus @ 1080P :O :O
It's doing quite well at retail from what I can gather (we'll find out in minutes), and the collection of characters appears to be the best ever put on a video game.

Yeah, it's seriously a great game. I don't mean it as an insult at all to call it the best PS3 launch title.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Unison said:
Actually, M:UA for PS3 doesn't have online co-op, does it?
It does, but it doesn't have voice chat at launch (supposedly a patch will come within a few weeks).

Grifter

antiloop said:
Good job Bethseda and Sony, good job..

Seems like the Europe launch will be the best one.

Good point. Who woulda thunk the latest launch would feature the most content?

Unison

beermonkey@tehbias said:
It should, just without voice.

Can you use a keyboard then? How's that work? You really need to be able to communicate somehow in a game like M:UA.

Edit: ahhh a patch... game saved. :D

Gary Whitta said:
When we had Pete Hines from Bethesda on the Next-Gen podcast (episode 8), he confirmed that the launch window sales cap was a "huge concern" for them and that they had had several discussions about shelving the launch until more units had been released. So I wouldn't dismiss that theory at all.

Im alomst sure of it. I think thats why there are still no demos in BB and other stores., and why I would call the marketing fairly light. They have already sold every last launch console, thats a given. The week AFTER launch, adds will pick up a ton, demos everywhere. Big push for the second shipment when more people can get them. Its a really bad way to have to do it, but thats all they can do now.

Ouch, no Oblivion this year. Even the good 360 ports are washing away. That was the only AAA title for launch besides Resistance. Well I guess this launch is all about Resistance and Bluray. I do want this Resistance pretty bad. But not enough to pay 600 bux for, and be waiting in line overnight. Seriously besides Resistance, what exclusives are there this year? Genji = Garbage, Full Auto and Ridgeracer arent significantly better than the 360 versions. Sonys NBA07 < NBA2K7. Untold Legends will be average at best, and Gundam is still a question mark. Its Wii60 for me this year, and we'll see what 2k7 brings. I will get a PS3 at somepoint but geesh, I went from only wanting a PS3 only, to wii60. And thanks to the crappy bluray launch, Im on the HDDVD side now too. Sony has had a bad year.

DarienA said:
Motor Storm and Full Auto aren't launch titles last time I checked...
full auto 2 IS definatly a launch title. I'm importing motorstrom from Japan so i counting it. Its cheap to count it but Ill have it soon enough

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Soul4ger said:
PS3 launch:

Ridge Racer
Untold Legends
Resistance
NBA 2K7
NHL 2K7
Madden 2007
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Call of Dooty 3
Gundam
Blazing Angels

Uhhh...

Genji

Is that it?

You are missing like 7 games.

Unison

My mind boggles that everyone considers Resistance to be a AAA killer app title. What is this based on? It's not a great game at all. It's not the debacle that PDZ was, but it is hardly a Halo-killer. From what I played of it, CoD3 is a better game.

I am not pointing this out to troll the PS3. I just don't want people to get burned. Maybe the two levels of Resistance that I played were not representative, but the game was awfully generic.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Unison said:
My mind boggles that everyone considers Resistance to be a AAA killer app title. What is this based on? It's not a great game at all. It's not the debacle that PDZ was, but it is hardly a Halo-killer. From what I played of it, CoD3 is a better game.

I am not pointing this out to troll the PS3. I just don't want people to get burned. Maybe the two levels of Resistance that I played were not representative, but the game was awfully generic.

Well, what do you think of Oblivion for the PS3?

Unison

urk said:
Well, what do you think of Oblivion for the PS3?

I haven't played the PS3 one, but the 360 one is one of my top 3 games this year. It's awful that the PS3 version won't make launch.

Raistlin

The reviews so far point to 'Residence' being great.

It doesn't have to be a 'Halo killer' to be one of the top console FPS's you know.

That's like saying no advnture game is worth playing since it isn't better than Zelda 64, etc.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Unison said:
What is this based on?
-already good reviews
-high praise from pretty much every website/magazine
-insomniac's track record
-online play seems to be just as robust as the single player, if not more
-single player co-op
-replay value (not talking mp, but sp)
etc.

Unison said:

No your not mistaken. The 2 levels you played are representative and also the best levels in the whole game. Aren't all demos that way? They have been for me.

Top Bottom