• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Oblivion.. in 1080p?

Luckyman

Banned
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745394p1.html

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks | Developer: Bethesda Game Studios

It's no secret that Oblivion is a great RPG. The latest installment of the Elder Scrolls series received very high marks on both 360 and PC and Bethesda has already stated that they intend to keep the RPG consistent across all platforms. Not only will the game run in 1080p it also comes with the new quest "Knights of the Nine" which adds another 10-20 hours of gameplay to the hundreds of hours it already includes. For those of you lucky enough to get your hands on a PS3 at launch, you can revel in the fact that you can take home an RPG that may very well last you until the release of Final Fantasy XIII.

Impossible.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well, at least on XBOX360, I always felt that the performance issues were not related to the GPU so that wouldn't be suprising.

loosus

Banned
Is there any real performance difference between 1080i and 1080p? I thought I read somewhere that, internally, the hardware has to render the same resolution either way, regardless of how it's output to the television.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
loosus said:
Is there any real performance difference between 1080i and 1080p? I thought I read somewhere that, internally, the hardware has to render the same resolution either way, regardless of how it's output to the television.
If they do full frame 1080i, no. However, there really aren't any true 1080i games on 360 that I know of (or at least very very few). The "1080i" support only refers to the scaler capabilities of the machine not the native output of the game.

rubso

Banned
Twix said:
yahso you still believe that the PS3 can’t output 1080p , right ? :lol
i didn't say it "can not" output 1080p, i said it won't make any difference if you run oblivion 1080p, since the game is running at 30fps.
btw, Xbox 360 can do 1080p too, :lol

teepo

yahso said:
i didn't say it "can not" output 1080p, i said it won't make any difference if you run oblivion 1080p, since the game is running at 30fps.

GAF HAS HIT A NEW LOW!!!!!

yahso said:

Um....I don't get what kind of correlation you are trying to make?

One is framerate of 30fps and another is pixel resolution. What does it matter? At 1080p the game would be rendered at twice the pixel resolution by like a million more pixels!

Durante

Didn't you know? 1080p at 30Hz is impossible. IMPOSSIBLE, I tell you :lol

Anyway, I seriously doubt this news. Very few PCs and certainly no console has the framebuffer bandwidth / fillrate combination required to render the woods in Oblivion at 1080p at an acceptable framerate. Unless they tone down the foliage density/detail a lot, and that wouldn't make sense.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
In the Next-Gen.biz podcast two weeks ago, they asked the gent from Bethesda if the PS3 version of Oblivion would support 1080p. His answer was an immediate "no". His reasons? The performance hit, and the fact that only a small percentage of an already small PS3 userbase (due to limited supply of consoles at launch) will even have an HDTV that can take advantage of this feature.

/thread

EDIT: Link

rubso

Banned
jon_heder_napoleon_dynamite_intervi.jpg

"LOOK FOR IT IN WIKIPEDIA, COME ON!"

rubso

Banned
1080p/60 (1080/60p) is NOT the same as 1080i/60 (1080/60i). 1080i has 60 fields but only 30 complete frames, while 1080p has 60 full frames showing the full 1920 x 1080 pixels 60 times a second. ( correct me if i'm wrong )
now let's assume that Oblivion is running at 30fps, when you port it to PS3 and use Full HD Capabilities and the game still running at 30fps then you won't get the advantage of 1080p resolution. it will feel and look the same as the Xbox 360 version at 1080i resolution.
sorry if i'm wrong!

Raistlin

yahso said:
1080p/60 (1080/60p) is NOT the same as 1080i/60 (1080/60i). 1080i has 60 fields but only 30 complete frames, while 1080p has 60 full frames showing the full 1920 x 1080 pixels 60 times a second. ( correct me if i'm wrong )

1080p and i are not the same thing ... however, 1080i does not necessarily imply 30fps (though going beyond 30fps will introduce motion artifacts during the de-interlacing process).

now let's assume that Oblivion is running at 30fps, when you port it to PS3 and use Full HD Capabilities and the game still running at 30fps then you won't get the advantage of 1080p resolution. it will feel and look the same as the Xbox 360 version at 1080i resolution.
sorry if i'm wrong!

This argument is a bit moot since it appears the game is not native 1080p on PS3 ... regardless, let's pretend it is for arguments sake.

My point was that the 360 version is internally rendered at 720p. Even if you output the game from your 360 as 1080i or p, that is using a scaler ... the game isn't actually internally rendered that way. Scaling doesn't magically add detail that wasn't there before (at least not the sorts of extrapolation used for console/TV scaling).

In the case of the PS3 ... the game is internally rendered at 1080p. It actually has more detail, so you will see that on the TV.

Framerate has no bearing on this ...

rubso

Banned
as the guys from cnet says
it would be very difficult--practically impossible--for the average consumer to tell the difference between a high-definition image displayed on a 1080p-capable TV and one with lower native resolution at the screen sizes mentioned above.
i like to wait and see by myself...

Top Bottom