• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Tard pack = No wifi + No HDMI + No MemoryStick /SD/CompactFlash

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
no hdmi means no blu ray movies. sony have officially screwed the pooch. i was willing to pay $500, but forget paying $600. i welcome our new microsoft overlords.

I hope the PS3 crashes and burns, so Sony can focus more on the PSP.

Because, at this point, I'm beginning to get more and more convinced that it will indeed crash and burn

Sony doesn't see that gamers have a viable alternative in the west now. Bye Sony. You can go consult N64-era Nintendo on what you did wrong next generation.

This is how Sony explains the removal of Immersion technology from their controllers?

'Pursuant to the introduction...' :lol

lame.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i forsee a X360 and Wii in my living room in the near future.

seriously, sony just killed themselves after that spectacle tonight

thefit

Uh....where does it say that it doesn't have it? Sony doesn't use conventional TV outs they like selling there own propriatary expensive connections.

hadareud

The Translator
thefit said:
Uh....where does it say that it doesn't have it? Sony doesn't use conventional TV outs they like selling there own propriatary expensive connections.

read the pdf.

And also have a look at the weight and the size.

IT IS HUGE.

And 5 kilos

Rlan

Wow, this thing weights 5kg? How much did the Xbox / 360 weigh? I remember Dreamcast being about 1kg and people bitching about it's heaviness :lol

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I wonder...if Sony hadn't been forced to remove the vibration, would they still have added the sensor functionality? Probably not. :p

Mrbob

Wow good job Sony. You just made the mistake of a lifetime to let your competitors come in and pwn you.

Smokey

I am at a loss of words right now...

I am seriously amazed at what is happening..

This is just like the 360 all over again, but worse.

BASICALLY TO GET A PS3 UNLESS YOU LOVE GETTING RAPPED WILL COST YOU $600 FUCKING BUCKS.

Add in a game, an extra controller and you're looking at $700-$900 people.

Sony has just pulled a Nintendo.

Wario64 said:
seriously, sony just killed themselves after that spectacle tonight
Indeed. I expected them to lose a lot of marketshare for a lot of reasons, but not because they decided to differentiate the console tiers at the built-in functionality level. Oh Sony. :lol

Tumalu

ghostmind said:
Only 1 HDMI port on the $600 version - did multi-monitor support quietly die?
Didn’t you hear? Dual screens are out, WaggleShock3s are in. Thank God for Sony innovation!

human5892

Queen of Denmark
WHAT THE FUCK? They removed the fucking memory slots from the tard pack console?!

Holy shit. I love my PlayStation 2, but jesus christ, Sony. This is just stupid.

J2 Cool

Hey, look on the brightside. This new server is performing perfectly under the stress of these announcements. :lol

hadareud

The Translator
PS3: 325mm x 98mm x 274mm / 5kg
Xbox: 320mm x 101mm x 260mm / 3.84kg
Xbox 360: 309mm x 83mm x 258mm /3.49kg

edit: words fail me for todays events

SuperPac

This is like watching a car crash. It's just getting worse. The initial price shock, and now the feature shock.

At first it was a bit of a reverse tard pack -- like the more expensive unit was for tards. Now it's clear that both are tard packs.

Sony may have shot their aspirations in the foot by pricing themselves out of the market. And if they're trying to sell consumers on HDTVs and high-def this holiday, they've lost their biggest Trojan Horse. Now the people who buy the low-end PS3 won't be able to do HDMI anyway so they won't get that 1080p lovin'. I don't know the logistics of it, but what's the point of even bothering to optimize games for 1080p if people don't have TVs that do it and people aren't buying the configuration of system that can display it?

I actually sincerely feel bad to make it look like crashing what could have been an amazing Sony party, but I have to drop this: Come November, who's going to run to the store to buy a 600 dollar console to play Warhawk.....when right next to it sits a 200 dollar system that has Mario and what's looking like the most killer Zelda game ever created?

It's just unbelievable that they would show 20 minutes of GT HD talking about 1080p when tomorrow Nintendo is almost definitely going to blow the doors off the event with AAA hitters like Zelda and Mario. This is a content-driven industry and Sony just left a lot of people in the dust on the content side. The price was just the straw.

MetalAlien

Banned
It still has the multi out so component or VGA is still possible for the tardstation pack. BR movies will have to work, sony is banking on the ps3 selling BR.

J2 Cool

SuperPac said:
This is like watching a car crash. It's just getting worse. The initial price shock, and now the feature shock.

At first it was a bit of a reverse tard pack -- like the more expensive unit was for tards. Now it's clear that both are tard packs

Yep, I wonder if Ken thought this whole thing through.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ghostmind said:
Only 1 HDMI port on the $600 version - did multi-monitor support quietly die?
black.jpg

Yes it did, look at how there are only 4 lights on the controller now.

Ranger X

Smokey Bones said:
Sony has just pulled a Nintendo.

You couldn't have said it better.

My god i mean, at least with the 360 tard pack you CAN upgrade to premium but now with the PS3 if you buy the retarded pack you're fucked fo life.
Seriously, WTF Sony is thinking, it doesn't make fucking sense at all. Zero sense.

MetalAlien

Banned
hadareud said:
PS3: 325mm x 98mm x 274mm / 5kg
Xbox: 320mm x 101mm x 260mm / 3.84kg
Xbox 360: 309mm x 83mm x 258mm /3.49kg

edit: words fail me for todays events

The sony 1080p pro jo (the ruby) is over 40 pounds... 1080p HD sex is heavy.

Nick

I admit that I kinda want Sony to fail this generation. I mean, some of the games on PS3 look amazing, but I'm ready to have Nintendo reclaim its throne. Hell, I'm ready to see Microshaft go to #1 for the first time.

I just want a change.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
No more justifications for me. The $500 edition being gimped to the point of uselessness pretty much seals my "FUCK YOU SONY" stance.

If the PS3 didn't have MGS4 I wouldn't bother (at least until after several price drops), but alas I seem to be forced into buying this assrape of a product.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Halcyon said:
Only 1 HDMI slot and a retard pack

SONY RENEGED TOTAL

I'd like to know how many of you guys actually have two HDTV's sitting side-by-side that dual screen output being killed is somehow a deal breaker or ZOMG HUGE MISTAKE!

EviLore said:
No more justifications for me. The $500 edition being gimped to the point of uselessness pretty much seals my "FUCK YOU SONY" stance.

If the PS3 didn't have MGS4 I wouldn't bother (at least until after several price drops), but alas I seem to be forced into buying this assrape of a product.

I wouldn't say it's entirely useless. GAF histrionics aside, the features cut for the Sony Retard Pack don't affect game performance, only secondary functions like how it talks to your home network, how you save, and how it's hooked up to the TV. Outside of those, the systems are identical. Whereas Microsoft sold a cheaper solution that actually affected performance, this just makes things a hassle.

However, like the original Retard Pack, I expect it to be gone within a year.

Deg

Banned
To be fair you could say the xbox 360 premium is also a tard pack since it lacks HDMi and Wireless(as far as it goes). What Sony are doing is forcing people like us to buy the $599 version. Which worked well when MS did it. Infact i think retail took advantage of it.

It's just unbelievable that they would show 20 minutes of GT HD talking about 1080p when tomorrow Nintendo is almost definitely going to blow the doors off the event with AAA hitters like Zelda and Mario. This is a content-driven industry and Sony just left a lot of people in the dust on the content side. The price was just the straw.

I dont think most people care about Wii. At all.

Wait .... does this mean no Blu-Ray movie playback on the 'tard pak?

Because I thought movie studios were insiting on HDCP encription or whatever for Blu-Ray, and that's only possibly with a DVI/HDMI output.

Phoenix

This is the most confusing move I've ever seen. Sony is sabotaging their own platform by nickle and diming the platform to death. They would have been better served just having one version of the platform for $599 considering that the $499 version is just a disaster.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
EviLore said:

I agree,
HDMI and the memory card slots need to be in all systems
If I wanna bring my saves to a friends house, and he bought the tard pack.. how will I?

Wireless access is moot, after all MS charges 100 for it :lol

I'm honestly not sure what sony is thinking, perhaps this all went to their head.. who knows

Top Bottom