• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Tard pack = No wifi + No HDMI + No MemoryStick /SD/CompactFlash

Phoenix

Xellotah said:
How much does it costs to add a flaming HDMI port?

That's really like asking how much would it have cost Sony and Microsoft to add in DVD playback when both consoles were using DVDs as media. I will say that it would have been SMARTER for Sony to include the port, but require you to buy an accessory remote or similar before you could use it for BluRay playback. THAT would have at least made some sense.

Shawn said:
I can't believe Sony took out the HDMI port on the cheaper SKU, as HDMI was the main reason I wanted a PS3. It's all I cared about, really. Truly f*cking unbelieveable.

Well pay for it then. The problem with everyone here is you all consider bluray as only an advantage for movie playback, wait for the PS3 launch see how many games take advantage of the extra capacity and streaming ability and realise that bluray was necessary in Sony's vision for next generation gaming.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Hay guys, what's going on here?

When I left work and went home last night Sony were going to dominate next-gen with a $399, single sku, 60gb HDD, on-line service that rivals Xbox Live Gold for free, 1080p lightening bolt from Zeus.

And now it's a $599 lightening bolt?

Drek

Shawn said:
I can't believe Sony took out the HDMI port on the cheaper SKU, as HDMI was the main reason I wanted a PS3. It's all I cared about, really. Truly f*cking unbelieveable.
At some point you managed to afford a TV that recieves HDMI signal. I would hope that $100 extra for a PS3 with HDMI, plus an extra 40GB of storage, Wifi, and various card readers wouldn't break your bank.

bycha

Xellotah said:
How much does it costs to add a flaming HDMI port?

Just to made another out on the back -- cents. To add another digital out from the videocard is 10$, but it should be there already cauze RSX is basically 2x6800GT.

I dont understand ppl. MS released tard pack that could be made back ok with money. Sony is releasin tard pack which horrible limitations will stay for the rest of console life.
I cant see a normal man buying tard PS3.

flarkminator said:
I posted this in the photoshop thread =P
NoChanceToPay.gif

Oh my goodness........:lol

xsarien

daedsiluap
Kleegamefan said:
Not quite....HDCP is required for BD movies and you can do that via DVI.....So the question becomes: Does Sony plan to offer DVI cables for the multi AV output ot the PS3 retard pack?

*AHEM*

So...

PS3 @ $600 Instanity!
1x PS1 (enhanced)
1x PS2 (enhanced)
1x PS3
1x Ethernet (2x Out?)
1x Wifi
1x Bluetooth
1x 60GB HDD
4x USB? (6x Total?)
1x 1080p
1x HDMI
1x 2speed BD-Rom
1x 8speed DVD-Rom
1x 4D Graphics

Xbox360 @ $400
.5x Xbox
1x Xbox360
1x 20GB HDD
3x USB
1x Ethernet
1x 1080i
1x 12speed DVD-Rom
1x 3D Graphics

Xbox360 @ $600?
.5x Xbox
1x Xbox360
1x 20GB HDD
3x USB
1x Ethernet
1x 1080i
1x 12speed DVD-Rom
1x 2speed BD-Rom
1x Wifi
3D Graphics

$600 is Retard, but if you compare the hardware your coming out better with the PS3!

oldboy1

Banned
MidgarBlowedUp said:
So...

PS3 @ $600 Instanity!
1x PS1 (enhanced)
1x PS2 (enhanced)

1x PS3
1x Ethernet (2x Out?)
1x Wifi
1x Bluetooth
1x 60GB HDD
4x USB? (6x Total?)
1x 1080p
1x HDMI
1x 2speed BD-Rom
1x 8speed DVD-Rom
1x 4D Graphics

Xbox360 @ $400
.5x Xbox
1x Xbox360
1x 20GB HDD
3x USB
1x Ethernet
1x 1080i
1x 12speed DVD-Rom
1x 3D Graphics

Xbox360 @ $600?
.5x Xbox
1x Xbox360
1x 20GB HDD
3x USB
1x Ethernet
1x 1080i
1x 12speed DVD-Rom
1x 2speed BD-Rom
1x Wifi
3D Graphics

$600 is Retard, but if you compare the hardware your coming out better with the PS3!

Aren't Sony going with Software emulation this time round, which in turn makes it unlikely that every PS1/PS2 game will work.

truffleshuffle83 said:
however you need to justify your purchase
what about the games :lol

Oh, I didn't say I was going to buy one.
I will, eventually, but $600 is not something I care to part with anytime soon.
And I'm not defending Sony, $600 and two SKU's is pure stupidity!

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
travisbickle said:
Well pay for it then. The problem with everyone here is you all consider bluray as only an advantage for movie playback, wait for the PS3 launch see how many games take advantage of the extra capacity and streaming ability and realise that bluray was necessary in Sony's vision for next generation gaming.

if they can fit Oblivion on a single DVD, I'll be shocked if we see a lot of games that require more than 1 DVD's worth of content. Morrowind is still to this day one of the biggest xbox games, so I can't see too many games pushing farther than that (considering that Oblivion is bigger AND is fully voiced over). Maybe FMV-heavy games might require multiple discs, but who cares about that anyway?

oldboy1 said:
Aren't Sony going with Software emulation this time round, which in turn makes it unlikely that every PS1/PS2 game will work.

Shouldn't be a problem if all the games are done on the Cell.
Unlike Xbox -> 360, PS2 never had Direct-X or ATI/NV hardware to worry about.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
In a way, I should thank Sony. They made my decision easy. At $600, being married w/ kids, there's just no way. Hell, I wouldn't even have a 360 if my best friend hadn't got one for me.

Deg

Banned
Nerevar said:
if they can fit Oblivion on a single DVD, I'll be shocked if we see a lot of games that require more than 1 DVD's worth of content. Morrowind is still to this day one of the biggest xbox games, so I can't see too many games pushing farther than that (considering that Oblivion is bigger AND is fully voiced over). Maybe FMV-heavy games might require multiple discs, but who cares about that anyway?

Oblivion doesnt exactly have the most varied locales. 90% of the screens just show grass and trees :p

Great Wasabi Man said:
Can some give me the cliff notes version, whats the deal with the tard/gimp pack? Cause no way in hell am I spending $600 on any game system

Tard Pack is $500 with a 20 GB HDD (as opposed to 60 GB), it lacks WiFi, Memory Card Reader, and HDMI out.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Tard Pack is $500 with a 20 GB HDD (as opposed to 60 GB), it lacks WiFi, Memory Card Reader, and HDMI out.
And, overall, both packs lack 2 of 6 USB ports, 2 port network switch and second HDMI port that were listed in the original specs from last E3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think I might be calming down about the price.

the 'tard' pack is $100 more than the Xbox premium pack, for about the same stuff - wireless controller, 20GB HDD etc. So thats standard Sony 'premium' pricing there. If MS drop the price Sony might need to react.

plus the bluray playback should do everything the HDDVD drive add on does for MS, so if you are happy with component HD movie playback (and its potential risks down the line), then the PS3 is actually pretty good value

then the $10m sku - sorry, $599 sku is the 'bluray movie fan' sku. All the other stuff is icing, but that HDMI socket is the big missing thing. And there isn't a comparison with MS there, unless you include the HDDVD drive addon.

*if* (big if) there is no issue with downrezzing component, I actually think the sony 'tard' pack is a viable option - whereas with MS it really wasn't.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
datruth29 said:
You know what, let's excuse Sony from making 2 different SKU's, 1 in which is Nerfed to hell while the other one is really expensive. What really makes this worse, is that if you buy the Nerfed, there's almost no easy way for you to get the features of the more expensive one. It's not like the 360, where you could simply buy a harddrive and a wireless controller (albeit at a more expensive price). You would actually have to sacrifice those features in its entirety. Thats what makes this a real killer. Jesus, I STILL can't believe Sony actually made this decision.

The $499 SKU is missing some key features, but all of those features can be added through accessories -- Wifi and memory sticks through USB, HDMI (possibly) through the proprietary multi-out port.

What Sony should have done is keep one SKU -- PS3 w/ 20GB and all Premium pack features for $499, then sell the 60GB HDD as an accessory. This is a million times better than having Playstation associated with a $599 price point.

Parch

mrklaw said:
the 'tard' pack is $100 more than the Xbox premium pack, for about the same stuff - wireless controller, 20GB HDD etc. So thats standard Sony 'premium' pricing there. If MS drop the price Sony might need to react.

plus the bluray playback should do everything the HDDVD drive add on does for MS, so if you are happy with component HD movie playback (and its potential risks down the line), then the PS3 is actually pretty good value

then the $10m sku - sorry, $599 sku is the 'bluray movie fan' sku. All the other stuff is icing, but that HDMI socket is the big missing thing. And there isn't a comparison with MS there, unless you include the HDDVD drive addon.

*if* (big if) there is no issue with downrezzing component, I actually think the sony 'tard' pack is a viable option - whereas with MS it really wasn't.
I agree. I really don't see how this is the "end of the world" for Sony when they have a comparable product to compete with the 360.

Never mind comparing core with core and premium with premium, the competition is between the PS3 core and the 360 premium. I'm not completely sure about what the PS3 core includes and the HD capabilities so correct me if I'm wrong, but the PS3 core seems a lot like the 360 premium with a few advantages.

Hardrive...identical
HD gaming capabilities...identical
Lack of wifi...identical
Wireless controller...identical

The differences between PS3 core and 360 premium seem to be...
The motion sensing controller. Advantage PS3.
The bluray drive and it's capacity possibilites. Advantage PS3.
The bluray drive and HD movie playback (just not 1080p). Advantage PS3.
The lack of memory card reader. Advantage 360.

You can decide if the differences warrant the extra $100 for the PS3 core, but this seems like a very competative product for the 360 premium.

All of this doom and gloom of Sony's demise seems a little ridiculous. You don't have to get the high priced super duper hi-def caddilac of consoles in the PS3 premium, you can decide between the very comparable PS3 core and 360 premium, or take the next step down to the 360 core or Wii. It's not the end of the world for Sony.

Tellaerin

truffleshuffle83 said:
xbox live is more innovative than anything ive ever seen sony do. so is the waggle wand. which is why sony copied both of them

Since the conference, I keep hearing MS fans whine about how Sony is 'copying Xbox Live!' So tell me, what was Sony's online service supposed to be like? Up until now, practically everyone was saying the same thing: If Sony wants to stay competitive, they have to roll out something comparable to Live. Then Sony announces a service that will match XBL feature for feature, and now they're 'copying' and we should all sneer at them for it? Give me a break. These are all features that people (supposedly) want in a console online service. The people complaining about this are as bad as the N-fans who think Sony and MS should be shipping their systems with Atari 2600 joysticks because everything from rumble to analog was a Nintendo 'discovery' and should be exclusive to the Big N until the end of time. :p

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Parch said:
Some nicely thought out stuff.

Yeah, the only thing is that Sony would do well to market it the way you've just laid out. Also, allow for customers to upgrade to the Real PS3 pack through add ons, asap.

Although I was hoping WiFi would be standard to see what neato things developers would come up with for it. Now I fear it won't be supported quite as strongly.

lachesis

So is it official that we can watch 720p Blu-ray movies on Tard Pack PS3? I thought only way to watch HD resolution movies was via HDMI due to copyright issues....

If Sony didn't cut the memory card readers and ports from the tard pack, I'd get the $499 pack. Come on Sony, don't force me to pay $600.:(

The End

lachesis said:
So is it official that we can watch 720p Blu-ray movies on Tard Pack PS3? I thought only way to watch HD resolution movies was via HDMI due to copyright issues....

Yeah, every studio except WB has said they're not using the Image Constraint Token, and after the tard pack announcement, I wouldn't be surprise if Sony put pressure on them to abandon it too.

Tr4nce

This whole shite is making me so outrageous. After last years E3, I thought Sony was gonna rule the world. Now I hear all this shite about the redesigned controller, the pricing, the retard pack and the E3 PS3 conference. Then, IMO the whole E3 conference was one huge motherf*cking disappointment for me.

I owned a Playstation.
I own a Playstation2.

This is how Sony repays their fans? I say fuck that shit. I'm really pissed about all this. I despise Microsoft, ergo I will not buy an Xbox360. I've grown out of the Nintend0r fase, so what's left for me? Beer and getting laid, and occasionally the friday night poker with friends.

SONY WHAT HAVE YOU DONE. YOU TRIED TOO HARD.

OMGWTFBBQ.

omgwtf2jp.gif

wtf.gif

xsarien

daedsiluap
lachesis said:

As of now, yes. The only thing that will stop it is if studios start using the ICT flag on HD-DVD and BR discs.

Why are people complaining about the controller? If anything I though everyone would be happiest about that after all the complaining about the boomerang.

lachesis

Systems_id said:
Why are people complaining about the controller? If anything I though everyone would be happiest about that after all the complaining about the boomerang.

Well, one thing I'm not happy about is that it' lacks the rumble feature, especially in action games.

littlewig

Banned
Just becuase MS is ripping us off on the pricing of the accessories doesn't make Sony's ass raping any easier to take.

Man, I can't wait until Sony announces their accessory pricing. :\

MetalAlien

Banned
xsarien said:
Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will only downsample if the ICT flag is enabled on the movie discs. As of March, Sony's stance is that they won't be enabling that flag.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ent...downconvert-bluray-hd-on-old-hdtvs-160358.php

Nor will Paramount, Disney, or Fox:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ent...t-image-degradation-scheme-for-now-163475.php

Warner Bros. will, but only on select titles.

But I have a feeling people will ignore this post anyway.
Yes but how many 1080p TVS will accept 1080p over component? I admit I have only casually looked into 1080p it's just priced too high, but I don't remember seeing a 1080p component INPUT.

xsarien

daedsiluap
MetalAlien said:
Yes but how many 1080p TVS will accept 1080p over component? I admit I have only casually looked into 1080p it's just priced too high, but I don't remember seeing a 1080p component INPUT.

I propose that if you have a TV that can do 1080p right now, you can afford the non-Tard Pack.

MetalAlien

Banned
xsarien said:
I propose that if you have a TV that can do 1080p right now, you can afford the non-Tard Pack.

Yea but...er.. I propose...ummmm.... YEA!

EDIT: Aww I do have a reply.(sort of).. My 720p pro jo will accept a 1080p signal, but only over HDMI.. I am willing to bet transistional sets coming out right now will be the same.

Tarb pack is just a bad idea... maybe Sony will drop it like they dropped the banana rang.

mrklaw said:
I think I might be calming down about the price.

I'm finally calming down as well enough to see this.

The PS3 core seems comparable to the 360 premium with some extras (that some may not want). But, free online is another nice piece and of course, the franchises that folks care about.

I'll probably get the $599 because I'm really ready for HD movies and bought a set with HDMI, and I could probably use the HDD, but the core system doesn't seem quite so bad today.

Newduck

Theres no spin of the core system, if no wifi, HDMI and memory stick functionality is true. Its nothing but pure bullshit.

The lower HD isnt a massive deal, but considering a 20gig HD wasnt really acceptable for the 360s launch, so its abit of a pisstake now, but not a HUGE deal since its most likely upgradable, much like the 360s.
While WIFI is just a conveniance thing, memory stick port is part of the functionality promised of the PS3, and considering we dont know much about the consoles capabilities yet, getting rid of the main way to import/export files and saves to the console is not just simply cutting out small features. I'm sure theres some workaround for it, like owning a PSP or USB card reader possibly, but its not a good thing, and theres no spin for it.

Nevermind HDMI, it was a poor thing the 360 didnt have it, but a higher price console, more focused on hollywood HD content released a year later not having it is a joke, its not relevant whether movies can be watched without it or not. Its more bullshit.

The worst thing is most of these features are provided on MUCH MUCH cheaper hardware, and from sony themselves. Its obvious these things arent cost eaters, its just an excuse for sony to have two pricepoints, and it suggests that if sony wanted, a single $500 SKU is possible. $500 is hardly a small amount of money either, its a higher pricepoint anyone on this forum would have even considered a few months ago so fuck trying to defend the lower model being that high.

Adding up alternative costs DOES NOT WORK. I don't care how much a 360 costs if you buy a wifi adapter seperately, despite the fact that i have that accessory, i'm not going to pretend it wasnt an overpriced piece of shit that should have been included in the first place. Microsoft pulled off alot of shit with the 360 that was bad, pointing fingers back at microsoft when sony does the same mistakes but worse doesnt work, because they were bad in the first place, it doesnt make it any better just because it was done before.

As for belittling the core pack, at the end of the day, the core pack really didnt fucking matter from a consumer point of view. The issue was the fact that it meant not all 360 games were developed with the HD, which and IS, and possibly bigger bullshit then what sonys doing overall. However, as far as features, while you got screwed over money wise, you could buy the HD seperately, and your 360 was no longer crippled, it wasnt a big deal, you just lost out on some money, and theres nothing stopping the stupidly overpriced HD from dropping to a much more reasonable price in the future anyway.

Unless sony are doing some sort of crazy shit, theres no way you can just buy additional built in Wifi, HDMI and card reader for PS3 maybe external accessories, but this is the sort of stuff tha tshould be built in to a premium priced console. Your PS3 is permanently gimped somewhat by getting the lower priced version, and its a $500 product, its the lower product, at the already premium price.

While as usual this forum has irrational people on both ends of the spectrum, with people making completely stupid conclusions to sonys future based on a temporary pricepoint as one of the stupid sides, i think its nothing more then people showing their colours by trying to defend some of these moves.

Not that i think alot of this really makes a huge difference, wifi HDMI and a card reader will hardly make or break a console, but it doesnt make it any less bullshit. I'm not gonna pretend its not a bad thing just because i can think of ways i can live without the features. Microsoft caused up a big stir with their two SKUs and already iffy $400 pricing. Sony just went and pulled the same shit but added $200 to the pricing, and the ONLY thing justifying that is Blu Ray

As far as the more advanced hardware excuse goes, the 360 would have been out a year ago when the PS3 is out, it SHOULD be better hardware, even if it was the SAME price, let alone $200 more. The 360 SHOULD also have a price drop this christmas, the only thing stopping them is sonys high pricing and nintendo probably not pricing the Wii as cheap as it should be.

As much as sony should be expected to provide better hardware at the same price after a year then MS, MS should also be expected to DROP their price to actually stay competitive, if PS3 didnt have Blu Ray, i would have expected nothing less then pricing the same as 360 in 2005. Wifi, HDMI is stuff that should be in 360 for $400, i'd expect no less of the PS3 released a year later, adding it to the cost is rubbish.

MS already took the plunge of increasing the *real* price of a console to $400, and i think they barely managed to do it, and they took alot of liberties in doing so, in an obvious ploy to rush to the market, and the 360 has suffered already due to it. While i'm glad the PS3 does look pretty complete, its still got the same bullshit feature cutting syndrome going on with some of the earlier things promised like 2HDMI and router things, that sony have stealthly cut out.

Sony are not justifying DOUBLING the price of their console compared to the PS2 and thats all their is too it, and on top of that, the bullshit two SKU situation would be like cutting out USB ports and Digital Out from the PS2 at £300, and selling the full one at £400. That would have been bullshit, so is this.

PS fans are the ones that will pay the brunt of it too, not only are they the ones that will have to bare the overpriced launch hardware, the countless destined to die PS3s, and the fans that will end up with possibly permanently gimped PS3s due to not being able to afford, or possibly find the $600 version.

Raddock

Hahahah, you woln't be paying $600 for a PS3, wait until EBAY scammers get a hold of them. You'll pay $1000 easy, with no games!!! Suckers! PS3=no go for me.

Raddock said:
Hahahah, you woln't be paying $600 for a PS3, wait until EBAY scammers get a hold of them. You'll pay $1000 easy, with no games!!! Suckers! PS3=no go for me.

As if. The retailers with those bundles are going to do some very scary things. $500 is ONLY
and ONLY IF you can find one on the streets
:D

Top Bottom