• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Tard pack = No wifi + No HDMI + No MemoryStick /SD/CompactFlash

BigBoss

Reilly said:
they want every PS3 to have Blu-Ray. That's the whole point of it being there.

But whats the point if you can't play Blu-Ray movies in high-def? Add HDMI to the tard pack Sony and I wil be there on launch day.

xabre

Banned
Reilly said:
they want every PS3 to have Blu-Ray. That's the whole point of it being there.

If they aren't going to take advantage of it then it's pointless to have it in there jacking up the price so much. I guarantee games will only be using a fraction of the space blu-ray offers for a long time.

Koomaster

xabre said:
Another thing, no HDMI output on the $500 version is just plain fucking stupid. What is the point of having a Blu-ray drive in the unit if it can't output movies any higher than 480p over component? Put a regular 16x DVD drive in there, knock $200 bucks of the price and tell developers to spec their games for that in mind. 9GB of space for games is plenty for the time being.
Why even bother with Blu-Ray at all in that case? I mean, if devs have to scale down their games for the tard pack, what's the point in the premium?

Tellaerin

Shompola said:
SONY isnt getting jack shit. Please stop with the damage control, it just makes you look silly.

It's 'damage control' to say adding tilt sensitivity to the Dual Shock 3 without trying to turn it into another Wii wand was a good idea? The tilt sensor in the DS3 gives it more versatility than the 360 controller, but it's still similar enough to the DS2 that 90% of the games developed for the PS3 won't involve pantomiming swinging a sword or stirring soup or whatever the hell developers decide is 'fresh' and 'exciting' for all the casuals and jaded gamers who are supposed to be buying the Wii.

I'll be the first to say that Sony screwed up big time on pricing, but when it comes to the DS3, it's exactly what I wanted in a next-gen controller. (Well, I would've liked rumble too, but I guess I can't have everything.) The DS2 was damn near perfect for me to begin with, and making two of the shoulder buttons into triggers alone would have been more than enough to make me happy. Tilt sensitivity is just icing, really. I know for a fact that I'm not the only one out there who wasn't planning to chuck their old controller in the bin and take up the Way of the Wii just because Nintendo told me to. The DS3, on the other hand, strikes a nice balance between old and new. So at least when it comes to control, I think they did 'get it' - Nintendo may be a little too ahead of their time.

xsarien

daedsiluap
BigBoss said:
But whats the point if you can't play Blu-Ray movies in high-def? Add HDMI to the tard pack Sony and I wil be there on launch day.

Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will only downsample if the ICT flag is enabled on the movie discs. As of March, Sony's stance is that they won't be enabling that flag.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ent...downconvert-bluray-hd-on-old-hdtvs-160358.php

Nor will Paramount, Disney, or Fox:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ent...t-image-degradation-scheme-for-now-163475.php

Warner Bros. will, but only on select titles.

But I have a feeling people will ignore this post anyway.

Reilly

BigBoss said:
But whats the point if you can't play Blu-Ray movies in high-def?

well some people won't care about that. They'll still be able to purchase Blu-Ray movies though and that's all that matters.

I don't think there will be many "tard" packs availible anyway.

Just like the PSP "core" pack in Japan was very hard to come by ... you basically had to pay for the full unit.

The "tard" pack just lets them advertise a more paltable $499.99 price point in Best Buy flyers and what not. Once those people get to the store, they'll realize

A) The 'tard pack is a crappy value to begin with

B) The premium pack is the only one that's availible anyway.

quetz67

Banned
methodman said:
and you don't think that's enough? price and a new control system?
I havent said anything like that and I dont think so. Wii might get the typcial niche sales and probably even some more this time. The problem might be a pretty small price deifference compared to 360.

btw. I dont think it will sell like the DS

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
quetz67 said:
The technology if RevMote is completely different and offers much more options than the PS3 controller for sure. But then it is about all whats going for Wii (besides the price)

Failed Sony Defence Force
BREACH AT THE GATES!

aaaaa0

soundwave05 said:
I don't think there will be many "tard" packs availible anyway.

Just like the PSP "core" pack in Japan was very hard to come by ... you basically had to pay for the full unit.

The "tard" pack just lets them advertise a more paltable $499.99 price point in Best Buy flyers and what not. Once those people get to the store, they'll realize

A) The 'tard pack is a crappy value to begin with

B) The premium pack is the only one that's availible anyway.

And then they'll see the 360 premium pack next to it for $299-$349, notice the games are pretty much the same, and buy that instead.

IMHO, Sony is going to be in a world of hurt this fall.

quetz67

Banned
xsarien said:
Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will only downsample if the ICT flag is enabled on the movie discs. As of March, Sony's stance is that they won't be enabling that flag.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ent...downconvert-bluray-hd-on-old-hdtvs-160358.php

Nor will Paramount, Disney, or Fox:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ent...t-image-degradation-scheme-for-now-163475.php

Warner Bros. will, but only on select titles.

But I have a feeling people will ignore this post anyway.
very interesting info

quetz67

Banned
aaaaa0 said:
And then they'll see the 360 premium pack next to it for $299-$349, notice the games are pretty much the same, and buy that instead.

IMHO, Sony is going to be in a world of hurt this fall.
The games dont look the same to me

aaaaa0

quetz67 said:
very interesting info

You see, this makes the 360 HD DVD strap-on even better.

If no one's going to enable ICT, then HDMI then becomes a total non-factor for movies. And I bet by the time the PS3 retard pack ships, 360 premium + HDDVD will cost less than it.

quetz67

Banned
I still hope Sony drops the tard pack for europe 60,000 yen = about $500 already including VAT, would make a Premium only strategy like in Japan a possibilty.

aaaaa0 said:
You see, this makes the 360 HD DVD strap-on even better.

If no one's going to enable ICT, then HDMI then becomes a total non-factor for movies. And I bet by the time the PS3 retard pack ships, 360 premium + HDDVD will cost less than it.

The only problem is HD-DVD doesn't have 1/2 the studio support Blu-Ray does.

If you want an actual wide selection of movies to watch in HD from most of the major studios ... Blu-Ray is really you're only option right now.

quetz67

Banned
Shompola said:
It is pretty sad that the PS3 games, well most of them are subpar compared to Xbox 360 second gen titles we have seen so far.
I think a fair comparision would be the PS3 titles in their current state and PDZ E3 2005. Developers are just staring to press all the great CG stuff they showed into realtime games looking close to that. Not all will succeed perfectly, but I am under the impression it works quite well overall.

aaaaa0

soundwave05 said:
The only problem is HD-DVD doesn't have 1/2 the studio support Blu-Ray does.

If you want an actual wide selection of movies to watch in HD from most of the major studios ... Blu-Ray is really you're only option right now.

All the studios are gonna release on any media that can make them money, except Sony.

So if HD DVD survives and gets a reasonable installed base (which is looking more and more likely at this point), expect the studios to come around and start releasing on HD DVD.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
You guys got it all wrong. The PSP was supposed to curb PS3 manufacturing costs and it didn't in fact it did the opposite. If PSP was making Sony tons of money then the PS3 would be between 400-450 dollars fully featured. But since the PSP is a financial disaster they can't risk loosing millions on the PS3 they have to have at least one profitable hardware on the market.

Tard SKU's, Gimp controller and Price aside some of those games looked fantastic but at the same time looked more like interactive movies rather than having total control of the player and his movements. I hope this won't be a familiar trade-off is CG quality looking PS3 games. The graphics of some of those games put to shame anything seen on the 360 and no I'm not talking about the borefest that was Gran Turismo HD. Sony is caught in a tough position here. Market saturation will demand a lower price but they might not be able to comply. They will not be able to play a price war with Microsoft this gen and this will hurt them, bad. I still want one.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
quetz67 said:
I think a fair comparision would be the PS3 titles in their current state and PDZ E3 2005. Developers are just staring to press all the great CG stuff they showed into realtime games looking close to that. Not all will succeed perfectly, but I am under the impression it works quite well overall.

No way in hell it is. They have had much longer to work on their titles and they do not look like their CG videos of last year.

Miburou

Hopefully this means I'll be able to score a system at launch more easily. For the extra features, the $599 version is a much better choice. The Blu-ray playback alone is worth the price of admission for me.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
$600 = £320

But i guess it'll be more like £350 - 370, and 300 for the gimped pack.

not too bad, but Xbox tried it in Europe and fell on its face pretty hard, so it'll be interesting to see if Sony-land will take its medicine or jump ship...

...that was a pretty fucked up combination of metaphors, never mind.

quetz67

Banned
Ryudo said:
No way in hell it is. They have had much longer to work on their titles and they do not look like their CG videos of last year.
I didnt say they do.

1. I never expected that, at least not for Motorstorm, as that obviously werent gameplay scenes

2. Final dev kits are probably not available for that long

3. MGS4 looks quite good to me in RT.

MrSardonic...who needs damage control? Sony will do fine without my help and I have the money to get a premium PS3 plus a Wii...I might have to wait a little to play some of the 360 games, but most will come to PC sooner or later

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In Japan till about 2011 you CANNOT use the AACS flag that forces downgrade of HD content when played over analog.

So Japanese users buying Japanese titles will see HD just fine even with component and no HDMI output, it is the LAW.

Japan Gets AACS Immunity
At least for a while.
by Gerry Block

March 14, 2006 - The March edition of Nikkei Electronics Asia reports that no restrictions will be placed upon high-definition signal output to analog terminals on HD-DVD and Blu-ray disks sold in "Japan and certain other specified regions" until 2010. The story does not say what the other specified regions are. For the full story on AACS and HDCP copy-protection and what it means to you, give this a read.

The news arrives following widespread outcry in Japan in response to the AACS forum's announcement that high definition signals from HD-DVD and Blu-ray players would be restricted to digital connections, namely DVI and HDMI. Japan has a low install base of TVs with digital inputs, and were it not for a permitted exception from AACS controls, the potential number of Japanese purchasers of next-gen DVD technology would be very limited.

The report specifies that next-gen DVD equipment manufactured after January 1, 2011 will be absolutely unable to transmit high-definition signals to analog terminals. Equipment sold or stocked in both 2010 and 2011 will be required to have some sort of mechanism to disable high-definition output on analog cables when 2011 begins. After January 1, 2014, video output on analog terminals will be forbidden entirely.

The logic of these dates seems confusing as it apparently is blending information related to playback hardware and manufactured media. Our analysis leads us to conclude that HD-DVD and Blu-ray players for Japan and the other "specified regions" will support analog output at a hardware level until 2010. Units manufactured in 2010 will include a mechanism to disable this ability so as to allow for excess stock to be sold in 2011 while still complying with the regulation. In 2014, HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs will stop supporting analog output at the disk level, essentially becoming incompatible with analog TVs once again.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/695/695919p1.html

It will be bad if they announce American and European PLAYSTATION 3 releases without the HDMI port... even though Sony Pictures and many other studios initially will not use the AACS analog hole flag, they will in the future I am sure.

calder

When I first saw the news I thought the 599 pack was overpriced but who cares the extra HDD space wasn't that important to me. I thought of the PS3 as a "499 dollar console", which is more than I wish but not enough to delay a purchase or anything.

On the plus side, Sony have done a good job differentiating the 2 SKUs. :lol $100 extra for a bigger HDD, no way! $100 less for a gimped console without a couple of connectivity options I really want? Damn you bastards!

I'm still getting one as soon as they're available, but there's no doubt that I consider the PS3 to be a $599 console now. That blows, and beyond the price I think it's crap that ppl getting the marginally cheaper but still expensive version won't have the option of easily upgrading later.

Oh, I like the controller very much. I like the 360's controller, but I've always considered the DualShock style my 'default' controller - the analog below the digital pad has always worked for me. As for losing rumble I don't care much at all, I turn rumble off in about half the games I play and rarely notice it in a positive way. Getting it wireless is worth it... but I'm sure Sony could have added rumble if they and their lawyers had really wanted to. ;) I'll wait to see the tilt in action before I worry too much about it, I just hope devs don't get all goofy with it trying to cram it onto every game whether it makes sense or not. Ideally in most games it would just be a control option, if they force you to use the tilt to move laterally in NHL just because it's there I'll be pissed.

PS - I wish the whole "tard" expression hadn't caught on. I just can't use that term without feeling like a jerk.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
MetalAlien said:
I know, the tard pack in more like the PS2.5, no 1080p games either... it's a wierd move.

Games are not protected by AACS, so you will be able to play games in 1080i/p if the component connection you have supports it.

Panajev2001a said:
Games are not protected by AACS, so you will be able to play games in 1080i/p if the component connection you have supports it.

I thought 1080p is not possible over component?

MetalAlien said:
It's not clear cut on the HD over analog thing...

Here is the thread to go to...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6888299#post6888299

It appears it may be possible for HD over analog... maybe.

EDIT: 1080p definitely not, that was ALWAYS HDMI only.

Not even games in 1080p over analog!

quetz67

Banned
Ghost said:
$600 = £320

not too bad, but Xbox tried it in Europe and fell on its face pretty hard, so it'll be interesting to see if Sony-land will take its medicine or jump ship...
PS2 was quite pricy in continental europe (I remember 869 Deutschmarks = 444 Euros). If you take inflation and euro conversion price increase 599 Euros doesnt feel that much more today. It was a premium item at the time but included DVD player was quite a factor at that time (like is bluray today).

Dont get me wrong, this is not even close to mass market, I see some early pricedrops for europe at least.

Taker666

Ghost said:
$600 = £320

If it's $600 in the US it will be 600 euros in Europe, that's the standard rate now $1.00= 1 euro

600 euros= £410 500 euros= £342

So it will probably be £399 - £429 for the full pack in the UK
or £329-£349 for the gimped pack.

quetz67

Banned
Taker666 said:
If it's $600 in the US it will be 600 euros in Europe, that's the standard rate now $1.00= 1 euro
Just because it is common it doesnt need to be mandatory. If your price isnt that much marketing but forced by high production costs the high euro/pound might be a good idea to lower the euro price to get more sales.

And just for the info, europrices include 15%-20% VAT and a half year warranty (more like 2 years in most cases).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't see why they have HDMI built in at all. Surely that would be done by their multi-out?

But I want bluray. So I'll have to stump up the £400. But what about tard pack owners who want to upgrade to movies? will sony have a route - HDMI via multiout later on? Even as a $100 cable.

I don't care about wifi or 40GB - IMO those are reasonable cost cutting things - and I have wired ethernet anyway

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Component isn't that bad for movies

- if the ICT flag is 'on', movies will be 'downrezzed' to 960x540p. Not great.
- if the ICT flag is 'off', movies will be capable of 1080p. Component can do that as well as HDMI. Unless there is some PS3 specification that explicitly says otherwise.
- games can do 1080p over component. Although be realistic, most people will be running 1080i or 720p

- In Japan, ICT is forbidden until 2010/2012, meaning bluray players have to pass full HD over analog (due to not many people having digital connections). This means that the tard pack is fine for Japanese consumers. It may also mean that studios resist implementing ICT flags globally, as the Japanese machines (being compatible with US regions), there will already be a 'hole' in the protection from a piracy point of view.

edit: I'd hope that the PSP will interact with the PS3 via your network if you have a wireless access point elsewhere.

Johnny

I thought 1080p is not possible over component?
1080p/30 is but not 1080p/60. So movies should look fine, though a pure digital signal would still be cleaner.

Sony better incorporate HDMI into the 'tard pack at the last minute. I can understand lack of WiFi and a smaller HDD, but don't cheap out on the HDMI. I don't even have a 1080p set, but it's time to ditch analog.

quetz67 said:
PS2 was quite pricy in continental europe (I remember 869 Deutschmarks = 444 Euros). If you take inflation and euro conversion price increase 599 Euros doesnt feel that much more today.
Take in regard the bad economic situation in europe and this sounds way too high.
I for myself will wait till the premium one drops to 400€.

Johnny

I am assuming you can just buy the HDMI output? unless they manufacture seperate consoles.
The PS3 pic I'm looking at shows seperate HDMI and "AV MULTI OUT" ports. Though it's old.

Raven.

Banned
Ryudo said:
There were only a few and noticeable cg vids last year, the vast majority of stuff they showed was realtime, and they've exceeded it. Interestingly some of the titles shown now look like cg, and in some ways exceed even the most notorious cg from last year due to the presence of ubiquitous cloth physics/animation, which give it a less sterile look, a livelier look..

TerryLee81 said:
You can upgrad a X360 tard pack to a premium pack.

X360 TP > PS3 TP

I find game optimisation for the HDD more important. With the Xbox 360 HDD being optional the HDD doesn't have any advantages besides quicker loadtimes. The PS3 HDD being standard enables devs to do more with the caching abilities of the HDD.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
the PS3 tard pack is indeed just that.. and even WORSE, relatively speaking, than the 360 tard pack. as others have pointed out:

no HDMI just plain sucks. it sucks on the 360, and it sucks on the PStard. so everyone with fixed pixel displays now get to DAC their video to begin with, and then ADC it to display it.

no wifi out of the box. I know 360 doesn't have it either.. I just can't beleive both MS AND sony are going to let Nintendo be the only company that will have all of their consoles on wifi.. and for the price of that gigabit ethernet controller they could have easily replaced it with wifi in every console. "but not every gamer has wifi". true, but every gamer can get his ass down to best buy and pick up a router for $20 on sale.

memory card slot - eh... I don't see it being used for much, especially with it not being in every system. not a big deal IMHO.

and the price. I said wow. you can buy 2 Wiis for the price of a single PS3. 3 Wiis for the price of a PS3 that doesn't make you look like a retard.

at this point the PS3 only holds one interest for me, and that is if come november I still can't get a Blu-ray player for under $600 or a universal player for under $1000. If either of those are true, then fuck the PS3 until the non-tard pack comes down under $500 (and even then I would be overpaying, but I would still probably do it)

MS can't even get 2M XBoxes to the shelf, sony is pricing their console more expensive than most of the home theaters it will be hooked up to.

save us Nintendo.

Phranky

Banned
Ghost said:
$600 = £320

£320 doesn't seem right, it'll be a bit more than that.

Tellaerin

Maybe it's just me, but when I can buy something like this for a little over $600, the PS3 seems a tad bit overpriced, especially since I'm not really jonesing for a BR player. :/ Oh, I know I'll end up buying one, but it probably won't be until FF XIII is released, and even then, I'll be kicking myself for it.

Top Bottom