• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 v2.70 walkthrough up!

guggnichso

Banned
test_account said:
What is up with all the complaints about a PS3 text chat feature? This feature wasnt there before, and i think it is better with a text chat feature than no text chat feature at all.

No, it's actually not, because you can't use it if you speak any other language than english.

Just take a look at this sentence:

Englisch: Please don't say that text chat is bad

This is how it looks in german in the text chat:

**** sag ****, d*** textchat schlecht ist.

Goldrusher

guggnichso said:

bitte (French for dick)
nicht (Dutch for fag)
dass (d+ ass)

The problem lies with German...

Nah, there really is too much censoring. You should be able to disable it.

Doc Evils

Just noticed a new feature.

When downloading a patch, there is now a time estimate on the top right of the progress bar.

hteng

Banned
IS psn slow for everyone after the update, pretty sure my connection is fine, but the login takes longer and sometimes kick me out

cant even connect some games ie: SC4, killzone 2

test_account

XP-39C²
Danielsan said:
Also you can simply press triangle > compare trophies now (don't know if it's new but I never knew).
Ye, it was possible before the 2.70 update as Tntnnbltn mentioned before me, but i think that just having to press triangle > compare trophies is a nice feature as well :)

guggnichso said:
No, it's actually not, because you can't use it if you speak any other language than english.

Just take a look at this sentence:

Englisch: Please don't say that text chat is bad

Ye, if there is a problem with writing many of the german words, then that is a pity indeed :\ But i still say that some communication (some text chat) is better than no communication at all (no text chat) :)

It is a pity that some of the english words are censored censored as well though, especially concidered that this is chatting between friends. And it sucks abit that it censors words that are part of oter words, like "dass" as you mentioned. But some words seems to work though, like "bass" worked fine.

I guess that this censoring has something to do with that a mother shouldnt come and see that her son is chatting while using the word "ass" or something, and then blame it on Sony that her son was allowed to use the word "ass" hehe :p Or at least that is the only reason i can think of why some of the words are censored.

EDIT: I added some text.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
hteng said:
IS psn slow for everyone after the update, pretty sure my connection is fine, but the login takes longer and sometimes kick me out
Some of the quirks of a new update, at first i couldnt send messages at all!
And after a while i had some nice chat with lots of gaffers while i played KZ2 and SFI IV

Cruzader

Banned
Zoz said:
Party with TEXT chat? WTF Sony?

HOW, in the middle of fu..ing game I should do to send text messages to my friends and PLAY (the most important thing in a game console) at the same fu..ing time?

It's a joke, right?
how bout testing it with your buddys before spewing shit? Yesterday's Gaf chat proved to me this is a great feature and will be used regularly.

hteng

Banned
Fersis said:
Some of the quirks of a new update, at first i couldnt send messages at all!
And after a while i had some nice chat with lots of gaffers while i played KZ2 and SFI IV

maybe the lines are getting congested due to high volume of data download, does it happen after every update?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Cruzader said:
how bout testing it with your buddys before spewing shit? Yesterday's Gaf chat proved to me this is a great feature and will be used regularly.
Today we had a nice chat with lots of gaffer.
Im surprised about how well tought is the chat, lots of nice details. Great addition for me.

Oni Jazar

Cruzader said:

Yeah I must admit it was kinda cool to have a multi-user chat going on while in game.

To be fair, most curses in the English language originate from the German parts of the language anyway, as Latin derivatives were privileged and whatnot. Perhaps German should be censored altogether; as much as I adore the ability to string clauses together at great length and everything it did for German philosophy, it'd probably elevate the discourse on PSN chat almost as much as allowing more than 32 characters per line.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Oni Jazar said:
Yeah I must admit it was kinda cool to have a multi-user chat going on while in game.

The coolest thing is chat room is persistent. Its like an IRC channel. It just stays there. I can turn on the system and jump back to it to meet people already there.

cameltoe

Zoz said:
Party with TEXT chat? WTF Sony?

HOW, in the middle of fu..ing game I should do to send text messages to my friends and PLAY (the most important thing in a game console) at the same fu..ing time?

It's a joke, right?

if the most inportant thing is PLAYING the game why on earth would you want to be in a voice chat trying to talk with people playing another game?

We have managed to do this for years on the PC so.....it works. I still havent used the voice chat in COD 4 on the PC. Its all text baby!!

KZObsessed

Just watched the video and I think the text chat looks pretty awesome. :D

I like how it's persistent so you can communicate more easily with a group of people than just sending a group message. Will be useful while playing KZ2 :D

cameltoe said:
if the most inportant thing is PLAYING the game why on earth would you want to be in a voice chat trying to talk with people playing another game?

My friends and I do that. Say four people are playing Left 4 Dead (room is full), couple more people jump in the party to find out what everybody is playing next and make plans. It's really indispensable, we use it all the time.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
The trophies are updating blazing fast now. Still no auto sync though.

Just played SF4 with Ploid while using the text chat, works REALLLLLY well. i was skeptical but now im a believer. :D

Cruzader

Banned
Also there is a text character limit since it has to fit on the box that appears to the top right corner, not sure what its called thought.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The chat is really really cool, but I've crashed many cars in Burnout looking at the live chat on the top right. :lol

birdman said:
Did my ears deceive me or is there a trophy sound now?

Its allllllllllllways been there.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's certainly easier to literally talk via voice and play at precisely the same time - you can't type and play at exactly the same time - but for those wondering about the feasibility of a multi-person chatroom running alongside your game, I'd simply say to try it and see for yourself. It works. Keeping an eye on chat is easy-peasy, and there are natural breaks in gameplay that let you pop in and type yourself if you want (or if in singleplayer, you can pause and type whenever you wish). And you can just pop in and out, there's no lag or delay to get to your chatroom.

It's not like you have to be there constantly typing either..you might have a group of people in a room with only a small subset actually chatting at a given time.. people come in and out of the room and chat when they wish, but you know they're still there 'watching' the room as they play, via the pop-up notices.

This is by far the 'stickiest' community and social feature added to PSN..easily the one which adds the most to your sense of connectivity.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TTP said:
The coolest thing is chat room is persistent. Its like an IRC channel. It just stays there. I can turn on the system and jump back to it to meet people already there.

Yes, Sony has managed to bring IRC chatrooms to console gaming :D.

Sooner or later they will increase the chatroom limit (>16 players connected to the same chatroom :)) hopefully.

- Internet browser seems to have had performance improvements. Text highlight and copy&paste has also been added.
- Trophy performance has improved

Those two items - Yay!

The rest of the list - Meh...Text chat? Seriously? I'll never use it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
gofreak said:
It's certainly easier to literally talk via voice and play at precisely the same time - you can't type and play at exactly the same time - but for those wondering about the feasibility of a multi-person chatroom running alongside your game, I'd simply say to try it and see for yourself. It works. Keeping an eye on chat is easy-peasy, and there are natural breaks in gameplay that let you pop in and type yourself if you want (or if in singleplayer, you can pause and type whenever you wish). And you can just pop in and out, there's no lag or delay to get to your chatroom.

It's not like you have to be there constantly typing either..you might have a group of people in a room with only a small subset actually chatting at a given time.. people come in and out of the room and chat when they wish, but you know they're still there 'watching' the room as they play, via the pop-up notices.
I've read chat bubbles pop up while you play so you can still read, and hitting the PS button makes the chat window pop up right away.

If true, then I was wrong about text chat being useless this time around. The video did not show this at all.
I'll actually be using this now. :)

cameltoe

beermonkey@tehbias said:
My friends and I do that. Say four people are playing Left 4 Dead (room is full), couple more people jump in the party to find out what everybody is playing next and make plans. It's really indispensable, we use it all the time.

Sure, I have done this. If people are gonna contiue to play L4D and I wanna play COD 4, I leave the party and move on. I dont need to listen to others talking about shit going on in that game while Im trying to play COD 4.

I like party chat but cross game is just silly.

test_account

XP-39C²
Cruzader said:
Also there is a text character limit since it has to fit on the box that appears to the top right corner, not sure what its called thought.
Ye, maybe, but i just got a message with 32 letters now (which is the most you could write in one message), and the box in the top right corner had 2 lines of text, and on the last line of text there were only 2 letters. The box was large enough to fit more letters in that 2nd line, at least in a 720p resolution :)

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I'm taking a wild guess that it won't let you talk about the Doobie Brothers either.
I dont know, but it worked to write Doobie Brothers at least :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
dallow_bg said:
I've read chat bubbles pop up while you play so you can still read, and hitting the PS button makes the chat window pop up right away.

If true, then I was wrong about text chat being useless this time around. The video did not show this at all.
I'll actually be using this now. :)
It's true, and it's extremely convenient.

nofi

chubigans said:
Whoa! That is awesome.

Just looked more into it. You can specify which background to display either randomly (which was how it was before) or using date/time. It can be a specific date (January 30th) or a range of days (January 1st-15th) or even the hours of the day (7am-10am).

:D

cameltoe said:
Sure, I have done this. If people are gonna contiue to play L4D and I wanna play COD 4, I leave the party and move on. I dont need to listen to others talking about shit going on in that game while Im trying to play COD 4.

I like party chat but cross game is just silly.

You just completely explained why having the ability to do cross-game chat makes perfect sense in your first sentence, then bashed it in the second! :lol Without cross-game chat you never would have been able to pop in and find out what is up with your friends. How people use it is up to them.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
dallow_bg said:

That's how it works, yeah.

When you hit the PS button you have to press one more button (circle on my system I think) to activate the input so i can type...but it's not a huge deal..and with a keyboard, at least, you don't have to hit that button before typing every time, just the first time after hitting the PS button.

The notices show you who was typing, what room they're in, and what they said. It's fine for keeping up with chat activity without having a big overlay on the screen.

Lince

Banned
TTP said:

so let's say we have a GAFe KZ2 game going and we start a chat room for all the clan members... do you mean the chat room will still be there everyday as long as you don't delete or exit it manually ????

A W E S O M E

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That seems to be the case Lince..but..I don't know how long someone's left a room go unoccupied for. They might delete empty rooms after a given period..

If the system is purely p2p maybe empty rooms can be kept indefinitely though (as long as everyone with a link to the room doesn't delete their links).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lince said:
so let's say we have a GAFe KZ2 game going and we start a chat room for all the clan members... do you mean the chat room will still be there everyday as long as you don't delete or exit it manually ????

A W E S O M E

As long as you don't delete it it will stay. You can exit no problem. You can even turn off the system and it will still be there when you turn it on again.

We should create a KZ2 Lounge channel.

Lince

Banned
TTP said:
As long as you don't delete it it will stay. You can exit no problem. You can even turn off the system and it will still be there when you turn it on again.

We should create a KZ2 Lounge channel.

I'm in for a general GAF KZ2 Lounge and a specific GAFe room !! you can have both right? this will our "party system" so we can talk about where is the best game going for people to join.

well sorry for the Killzone derailment, I definitely believe this feature will help shy guys with no headsets communicate with everybody thanks to on-screen notifications.

edit answering my questions:

- Up to 16 people can be in a single chatroom
- A user can partake in up to 3 chatrooms at a given time

well the general KZ2 lounge would be impossible with the 16 people limit... but it's enough for the regular players of the clan.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Haven't tried this yet, but can you keep links in your friends list to more than 3 chat rooms?

Or are you automatically logged into any chatrooms you have links to and thus can only have 3 there?

tribal24

Banned
gofreak said:
Haven't tried this yet, but can you keep links in your friends list to more than 3 chat rooms?

Or are you automatically logged into any chatrooms you have links to and thus can only have 3 there?

i think you can keep links becuase i had 4 chats enabled i made 3 my freind made 1 and they all showed uped

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gofreak said:

You can "leave" a chat room and enter another one without deleting it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
tribal24 said:
i think you can keep links becuase i had 4 chats enabled i made 3 my freind made 1 and they all showed uped

Ok, cool.. 3 should only be active at a given time, but if you can keep links to more than that, then that's handy.

Top Bottom