• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 v2.70 walkthrough up!

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
They had a video update? Does it now allow Packed Bitstream in vids?

TTP said:
Yes it does. I've said it already, but that's the best thing about how text chat was implemented. They should have called it "PSN IRC" or something. More appropriate
That's if it didn't have a limit on the amount of people in the chat.

4732.1.0.jpg
I wanted to get one of these, but since it doesn't have a Mac/Window key, I guess I wanted to ask, how do you use the "PS Button" function, ie, if you're watching a video you can press the Win/Mac key and go to the XMB, but how do you do it with this one? Also since I use Gentoo, not YDL, for Linux I'm not sure how to connect it.

Roxas

Has this been mentioned? When you now download something from the store (not background downloading) it tells you how long is left until the download is complete. Small, but neat little feature.

Prezhulio

spwolf said:
elaborate :)

i know xvid was supported in a recent update, but i still had some labeled as xvid, that weren't working. though i hadn't checked some files on an external for sometime, one I am ABSOLUTELY sure was fixed with this update (because i got it 5 days ago and it didn't work then) was an xvid video with mpga audio

Roxas said:
Has this been mentioned? When you now download something from the store (not background downloading) it tells you how long is left until the download is complete. Small, but neat little feature.
It's really stupid that you can't see the remaining time in the XMB download manager, though. D:<

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Prezhulio said:
i know xvid was supported in a recent update, but i still had some labeled as xvid, that weren't working. though i hadn't checked some files on an external for sometime, one I am ABSOLUTELY sure was fixed with this update (because i got it 5 days ago and it didn't work then) was an xvid video with mpga audio
XviD has worked for a long while now, since the DivX update, but no support for ones encoded with packed bitstream, QPel, GMC3, or AVI's that have certain audio formats.

The last update added support for Divx 3.11, though.

kamorra said:
Model name?
Cordless MediaBoard Pro™
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/playstation_3/devices/3616&cl=US,EN

Prezhulio

hateradio said:
XviD has worked for a long while now, since the DivX update, but no support for ones encoded with packed bitstream, QPel, GMC3, or AVI's that have certain audio formats.

The last update added support for Divx 3.11, though.

Cordless MediaBoard Pro™
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/playstation_3/devices/3616&cl=US,EN

alright well how can examine the exact details of a video file on a mac. i was just pulling my info for the file from vlc, and the ps3 info obviously doesn't say the right info

The Text Chat instance/room stays up during actually games yes?

Once again, sorry for asking, but I didn't quite get a clear answer from the PSBlog

.GqueB.

Banned
Flek said:
Hes right you know. I used to use this with my mac but it SUCKS for a graphic designer. I always had to look down for buttons because they were in such odd places so I switched to a regular keyboard. Tried this a few days ago with my PS3 and it works like a charm. Its also smaller than a regular keyboard so its not as bulky.

Plus its sexy as all hell.

Oni Jazar

AgentOtaku said:
The Text Chat instance/room stays up during actually games yes?

Once again, sorry for asking, but I didn't quite get a clear answer from the PSBlog

When you're playing a little notification pops up with the sender, chat room and chat message each time someone talks.

hateradio said:
They had a video update? Does it now allow Packed Bitstream in vids?

That's if it didn't have a limit on the amount of people in the chat.

I wanted to get one of these, but since it doesn't have a Mac/Window key, I guess I wanted to ask, how do you use the "PS Button" function, ie, if you're watching a video you can press the Win/Mac key and go to the XMB, but how do you do it with this one? Also since I use Gentoo, not YDL, for Linux I'm not sure how to connect it.

That's one of the biggest omissions made by logitech. It doesn't have ps button functionality.

And for some reason the online shop I bought this keyboard from, sent me the UK version:S It's not that big an inconvenience though.

Gekko87

that's it! now I have to add gaf peoplez, I'll be sending friend request soon to some random gafers.... or who ever wants me to be their man friend.

if you've been off-line for 2 weeks, your not going to be on my friends lists!

edgefusion

I think I've only got one or two Gaffers on my list, it'd be nice to play with some proper gamers every once in a while.

PSN: edgefusion

I'll add a couple of you guys wanting gaffers later tonight.

xiked

Banned
cross game/anything voice chat aka party mode would have been an great addition. Why text chat? Microsoft must have patented this shit because this cant be hard to do. create an ventrilo like app and your done. what's up whit sony?

xiked said:
cross game/anything voice chat aka party mode would have been an great addition. Why text chat? Microsoft must have patented this shit because this cant be hard to do. create an ventrilo like app and your done. what's up whit sony?

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if there's some patent(s) in the way.

xiked

Banned
chubigans said:

if that's true, then PSN will never been equal to xbl. scare me a little that Sony was so open. The should have reserve some integrity in the system so they could make big changes that did not effect the games. Very weird choice from Sony if what you say is true....can an developer from insomniac, ND, GG or any other speak out if this is true?

Zoe

xiked said:
if that's true, then PSN will never been equal to xbl. scare me a little that Sony was so open. The should have reserve some integrity in the system so they could make big changes that did not effect the games. Very weird choice from Sony if what you say is true....can an developer from insomniac, ND, GG or any other speak out if this is true?

How the hell can one single feature be so important that it determines one service will never top the other?

DarkJC

xiked said:

Software development doesn't work like that. If you're going to have OS wide features that affect in-game functionality across all games, like voice chat and cross game invites, you need to plan for that from the start so that all software developed for your platform can support it.

Games developed for the 360 are developed around a set of specifications from Microsoft including required "hooks" for the OS and the game to communicate with each other. For example, in Halo 3 when you're in party chat, the game knows and acts accordingly. While the party chat is handled only by the OS, the developers of Halo 3 had to build required behavior into their game to accommodate this feature.

Similarly cross-game invites work the same as well. While the invites themselves are all handled by the OS, the game needs to know what to do on its end when the user accepts an invite.

You can't just reserve resources and have features like this work later. When it requires implementation on the software side of things as well, it requires planning from the start.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
xiked said:
cross game/anything

Well this is cross-game chatrooms..

xiked said:
if that's true, then PSN will never been equal to xbl.

Why do you want these systems to be carbon copies of one another?

I happen to think x-game voice chat will happen..but..what is there now already isn't quite something you have on XBL. Does that mean XBL will never be the equal of PSN too?

These systems don't have to be the same. I think Sony did a good job here in providing something that (IMO) is as useful as x-game voice chat, but that's distinctive from what's there on Live.

BeeDog

Very minor thing I've noticed (maybe mentioned already):

I switched over to my US account (to download the KZ2 demo thingy) and accidentally opened the Trophy Collection section. I don't have any trophies on that account, so I was greeted with a very long description, something along "You don't have any trophies yet. By playing games you can earn trophies..." something bla bla, and I don't remember it being so thorough before (AFAICR, it was just "You do not have any trophies".). Maybe it's a new addition with the new firmware.

DMeisterJ

Banned
edgefusion said:
I think I've only got one or two Gaffers on my list, it'd be nice to play with some proper gamers every once in a while.

PSN: edgefusion

I'll add a couple of you guys wanting gaffers later tonight.

Same. DMeisterJ

I'll add some of you once I get closer to my triple.

Fizzle

I wonder if they extended the letter count on the presence data, SOCOM's had to actually be abbreviated with thanks to it's community. :lol

BeeDog said:
Very minor thing I've noticed (maybe mentioned already):

I switched over to my US account (to download the KZ2 demo thingy) and accidentally opened the Trophy Collection section. I don't have any trophies on that account, so I was greeted with a very long description, something along "You don't have any trophies yet. By playing games you can earn trophies..." something bla bla, and I don't remember it being so thorough before (AFAICR, it was just "You do not have any trophies".). Maybe it's a new addition with the new firmware.
Seems like it. Good thing too, because I have plenty of friends who have no clue what trophies are. Most have caught on, (meaning I had t explain it to them when it came out), but still a bunch don't.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I've just noticed all the PSN names in here. I already have a bunch of Gaffers on my list but hey, more is always better. Add me.

blue999new

Neo Member
Played KZ2 with 6 PSN friends easily by using text chat last night.
Text chat is really awesome.
Veryveryvery useful!
GJ Sony!:lol

Cruzader

Banned
xiked said:
wow.

Top Bottom