• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 v2.70 walkthrough up!

rager

Banned
Hmm..

Will this new feature cause me to finally have a reason to buy this?

News1_1.jpg

Gbeav

Banned
I'll be using the chat pad more now. I do wish it had a small lcd screen as I find it difficult to type without a screen giving me feedback.

comrade

rager said:
Hmm..

I bought one last night. Didn't know these shits were so expensive. Came out to like 55$ with tax. Anyway I don't have much hands-on time with it yet but my initial impression is the thing is hard as shit to type on and I wish the keys were backlit. Seems pretty cool though.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Yeah, but it's basically a fully functioning bluetooth keyboard/trackpad. It works if you hook it up to a computer that has bt connectivity.

Solution:
310-8142.jpg

Got this kit on sale for $39. Sold the mouse/bt receiver for $20.

$20 for the BT Keyboard, it's compact but with full sized keys (few BS "media keys", etc.). Sturdy, and works like a dream with the PS3.

I don't think I'd be able to stand using that clip-on keypad for any length of time, but it does beat using the controller.

Gbeav

Banned
ScrabbleBanshee said:
I don't think I'd be able to stand using that clip-on keypad for any length of time, but it does beat using the controller.

I just keep it on the side to use.

comrade

Tntnnbltn said:
Why not just get a wireless keyboard then...
For me, my desk space is so cluttered I don't really have a place to put the keyboard except on the ground and then I have to put it in my lap to use it. For the Chatpad I'd say if you're used to texting on full qwerty keyboard cell phones you'll be fine. I can't type out a URL on my friends Moto Q to save my life but he's like grease lightining with that thing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mik2121 said:
is the chat still going on? I don't have anyone on that chat I think.. :(

Care to add me? PSN - Mik2121

:(

i've invited you to ttp's room, there's 14 people in there at the mo'..so hurry up :p

jorma

is now taking requests
Am i doing something wrong, or did they remove the ability to press the PS button to change wich slot (1-4) you want the controller in? I use that a lot when one of my controllers need recharging :X

Cruzader

Banned
Lince said:
I'm in for a general GAF KZ2 Lounge and a specific GAFe room !! you can have both right? this will our "party system" so we can talk about where is the best game going for people to join.

well sorry for the Killzone derailment, I definitely believe this feature will help shy guys with no headsets communicate with everybody thanks to on-screen notifications.

edit answering my questions:

well the general KZ2 lounge would be impossible with the 16 people limit... but it's enough for the regular players of the clan.
just make 2 rooms then.

rager

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Yeah, but it's basically a fully functioning bluetooth keyboard/trackpad. It works if you hook it up to a computer that has bt connectivity.

Works with a pc huh? can you also use the analogue like a mouse on the PC, how does that work?

Beardz

rager said:
Hmm..

News1_1.jpg

I have that thing, pretty nice, comfortable, etc. the problem is that I always play in a dark room, so I can't see shit. With practice you can type with no problem, but at first is a pain in the ass. I hope the next version comes with some kind of back light or something.

GQman2121

Banned
I can see us using the Chat for our MLB League at some point during the season. Should be a good way to keep up with each others games LIVE, while also talking shit to one another. :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You know, watching a room full of GAFFERS chat adds a whole extra layer of clusterfrak-ness to Noby Noby Boy.

If that's possible.

obaidr

Banned
Harvey Hedonist said:
I want native support. Streaming is annoying. Considering the latest Divx throws h264 in mkv by default, I'm assuming ps3 support is incoming.

Never. MKV and h264 are the standard codec for Ripped HD movies and sony would never be so dump to allow those files to be played on their BD player. Maybe the will allow it with file size limit to 700MB or something but full MKV support means dead of BD on ps3.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Solution:
310-8142.jpg

Got this kit on sale for $39. Sold the mouse/bt receiver for $20.

$20 for the BT Keyboard, it's compact but with full sized keys (few BS "media keys", etc.). Sturdy, and works like a dream with the PS3.

Dude, are you nuts? That mouse is seriously one of the nicest I have ever used, Bluetooth or not! And I generally hate all things Dell!

I have one for my iMac, because Apple clearly can't make a good mouse to save their lives anymore.

androvsky

obaidr said:
Never. MKV and h264 are the standard codec for Ripped HD movies and sony would never be so dump to allow those files to be played on their BD player. Maybe the will allow it with file size limit to 700MB or something but full MKV support means dead of BD on ps3.

Okay, how long did we hear that exact argument as to why we would never, ever get avi support on the PS3? It's especially silly since ps3mediaserver works great with HD rips, and it makes more sense to stream over the network with HD rips anyway; are people really wanting to download them via torrents and copy them to their PS3? The thing native mkv support would work best for on the PS3 is subtitled anime fansubs, there's no getting around having to transcode video to add soft subs currently.

obaidr said:

Considering how easy it is to remux h264 in mkv to m2ts ac3, I don't think Sony is too concerned. After all, they aren't doing exceptionally great selling BD players, why not sell a HD XMBC replacer?

patsu

Tntnnbltn said:
jpkah4.jpg

Logitech diNovo Mini...
if you have some kind of aversion to affordable keyboards or something

Pros:
- backlighting
- palm-sized
- touch sensitive pad
- doesn't attach to your controller

I have that (Someone in Logitech gave it to me). I'd recommend Logitech's full-size keyboard instead. The keys are too small. Even Sony's keypad may be slightly better since it supports PS3 specific buttons.

The DiNovo Mini does not have explicit PS3 customization (e.g., it requires 2 keys to do a ESC for dismissing dialog).

EDIT:
PjotrStroganov said:
4732.1.0.jpg

Underrated part of my collection of console accessories. I use it more often than I thought I would.

YES ! This is the one I have. You can use the touch pad for Yellow Dog Linux 6.1 too. All the []X^O buttons are also mapped to one key on the keyboard. So navigation is very very convenient and fast.

andycapps

FortNinety said:
Dude, are you nuts? That mouse is seriously one of the nicest I have ever used, Bluetooth or not! And I generally hate all things Dell!

I have one for my iMac, because Apple clearly can't make a good mouse to save their lives anymore.

Thank you! An Apple user that thinks that Apple's mice suck. They're horrible.

And yes, that is a great mouse. Have that same keyboard and mouse at my work, except the wired version. Both are fantastic.

alr1ghtstart said:

NO FUCKING SHIT?!

I have the Xbox 360 chatpad and it DOESN'T work with my PC, which is the whole reason I bought it in the first place (I have an HTPC with a 360 controller connected).

I'm so buying this now.

Tntnnbltn said:
jpkah4.jpg

Logitech diNovo Mini...
if you have some kind of aversion to affordable keyboards or something

Pros:
- backlighting
- palm-sized
- touch sensitive pad
- doesn't attach to your controller

Review from PSLS before the PS3 pad was released: http://tinyurl.com/4lsz89

We all know using the PS3 on screen keyboard to type, can be very tedious. So tedious, that I have had people whom I’ve sent a PSN message to, reply via email, just so they could just type on their computer.

I didn’t really want a huge full-sized keyboard and mouse setup, as I game from the comfort of my couch. I don’t have the space for it and its inconvenient.

There is a thumbpad accessory for the PS3. But many have reported that it was a waste of money, even some people claiming it couldn’t even connect to the PS3.

So what is a PS3 owner to do to be able to type with ease? The answer? Logitech Dinovo Mini. Click through for the review…

The Logitech Dinovo Mini is marketed mainly toward Home Theater PC owners who don’t want a huge keyboard in their living room, much like my situation. However it’s not just for the PC. There is a switch on the backside of the mini keyboard that lets you switch from PC to PS3.

This review is only for the PS3 functionality.

This sexy piece of gadgetry goes perfectly with your PS3. It has a glossy (yet easily scratched) transparent black finish. The clamshell design keeps dust and other debris out of the keypad, and overall gives it a nice look. The backlighting gives it some extra wow factor, and is great if you are gaming in the dark.

The Dinovo Mini also syncs perfectly with the PS3 via Bluetooth and it STAYS paired. I have gone through a few headsets because they wouldn’t stay paired with the PS3, and I had to re-pair them every time I turned on the PS3. Want to use it on your PC? Just flip the switch in the back and pop in the included USB bluetooth dongle to your PC’s USB port. Want to go back to your PS3? Flip the switch and you’re ready to go. No need to pair it again.

Typing is easy with the keys being large enough that you arent pressing a few keys at once… a common problem with today’s ‘qwerty’ cell phones. There are media keys such as your normal fast forward, pause/play, volume up/down. It also has your basic keyboard keys as well such as shift, ALT, CTRL, FN. They even thought of the fact it would be hard and very cramped trying to press CTRL + ALT + DEL, so they included its very own key for that.

There is a switch on the front that lets you easily toggle back and fourth from “Mouse mode” which lets you use the touch sensitive pad to scroll like a mouse. Or you can use “Input mode” where the touchpad turns into a dpad which lets you easily navigate through the XMB.

It also works well with Blu-ray playback. Using the media buttons you can launch the BD from the XMB, pause, play, stop, fast forward, and rewind. However there is no triangle button, so you cannot bring up the menu.

Well that’s all of the pros. Here are the cons.

- The price… at $149.99 retail, this isn’t for the average consumer. You can find them cheaper on Ebay, but not for under $100. I bought it because of my need to have something small, and functional. It was worth the cost to meet my needs.

- Lack of PS3 buttons, such as Triangle, Square, Select, etc. If you are browsing the internet this works great, until you need to bring up your bookmarks… There isnt a select button, or if you want to enter a new web address you cant, there isnt a triangle button. However this is easily resolved for most PS3 users, as we already have our controllers handy. You just reach over and press select or whatever button you need.

That’s pretty much it for the cons!

Another thing I haven’t talked about is its use with Linux, it does have a USB dongle so one would assume it would work with Linux, but since I haven’t tried it yet myself, I can’t pass judgment on that.

Once last thing I want to note, is that this thing has a built in lithium ion battery that has a 30+ hour battery life. I have had this item for a week now, and it’s still on its first charge.

PROS - functionality, size, sleek design, use with PS3 or PC

CONS - Price, lack of dedicated PS3 buttons

So I give this device a 5/5. Price shouldn’t affect a review but I knocked off a point because of its lack of dedicated PS3 buttons. But like I said this can easily be remedied by having a PS3 controller on your lap.

Here is a video of me messaging Azariah on the PS3 with ease. Just flip open the diNovo Mini, and start typing. Sorry about the poor video quality, I never make videos.

Here is another video of using the “Mouse Mode” to browse the internet…

So I just turned on my PS3 and saw that I can still join the GAF chat from last night... does that mean I can join the chat anytime I want or has someone really been in there all night? lol

FortNinety said:

I hated the mouse. I use an MX Revolution that feels a lot better to my hand.

spwolf

i have logitech wireless for ps3... i am using it now on my HTC in my bedroom, as it was too big for living room... so anything thats smaller would help.

patsu

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I hated the mouse. I use an MX Revolution that feels a lot better to my hand.

MX Revolution is superb ! I use one everyday myself ^_^

spwolf said:
i have logitech wireless for ps3... i am using it now on my HTC in my bedroom, as it was too big for living room... so anything thats smaller would help.

Both the big and small keyboards above are Bluetooth.

Das-J

Law of the West
Revolutionary said:
So I just turned on my PS3 and saw that I can still join the GAF chat from last night... does that mean I can join the chat anytime I want or has someone really been in there all night? lol

Well I think some people left their PS3s on all night, but AFAIK the chat would still be there if everyone had left.

Prezhulio

my god the fw video codec update is awesome! a TON of my divx files are now working. thank you thank you thank you sony!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Das-J said:
Well I think some people left their PS3s on all night, but AFAIK the chat would still be there if everyone had left.

Yes it does. I've said it already, but that's the best thing about how text chat was implemented. They should have called it "PSN IRC" or something. More appropriate.

Edit: Tell us something we don't know about MAG please.

Top Bottom