• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS360] New images of Tomb Raider Underworld (LUSH!)

Firewire

Banned
snoopers said:
Well I remember a CD dev saying on a forum they knew Uncharted looked better than their game... but anyway, yeah, pics coming.

I'd say it looks really good, but lighting seems a bit lacking.

I don't think the games are that far apart at all. This actually looks really good to me, and I was a bit worried about how it would turn out. It will be great to add this to the game collection right beside Uncharted.

Day 1!

mollipen

Always-honest said:
uncharted with a woman...

As much as I hate to say it, that's kind of how I feel now after playing Uncharted. Before I played, it was in the "haha Dude Raider!" crowd... but now, to me, that game is the new standard.

I've also worn a bit weary of under-dressed Lara as well, though, which doesn't help any.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This is what 120p can do to your game.

Amazing, looks phenomenal. A level of greatness this generation is clearly lacking. So pleased they haven't had to resort to sticking a gloss on everything.

Rolf NB

How confusing. Material from the game looks completely awesome. The teaser trailer (on PSN or elsewhere) however looks abhorrent. Mixed messages. What to do.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
bcn-ron said:
How confusing. Material from the game looks completely awesome. The teaser trailer (on PSN or elsewhere) however looks abhorrent. Mixed messages. What to do.
Yeah, the teaser trailer was utter shite.

h3ro

1536_0013.jpg

Looks like the Sony Ninjas used an Evolution Stone on Kittonwy and sent him to take out Lara... RAWR!!1!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mohonky said:
When people say this are they talking about the in game animation or are they talking about the cutscene animations? The facial animation and those in the cutscenes in general are phenomenal, but as soon as you get in game Drake's movement is stiff, awkward and often disjointed with very little cohesion between transitions (jumping to running or climbing up a ledge to standing). In my opinion thats one area where the game falls flat for me yet everytime I see Uncharted brought up animation is the second thing after the graphics it gets praised for.
The in-game animation IS very impressive, but it does occasionally look a bit odd. What made it impressive was how they were able to blend so many individual animations. The motion is very dynamic unlike many other games. The side effect is that it doesn't always look as perfect as canned animation might. Unchated and Assassin's Creed both made some big steps forward in the animation department but there is still room to grow.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
snoopers said:
Animation and level design ? TR still has the edge on these ones in my opinion.

Better animation?!?! HUH?! That's absolute crazy talk in my opinion. Uncharted stands as a king amongst men in that department.

Tomb Raider should copy-paste Uncharted's shooting mechanic. Randomly jumping and shooting tiger isn't fun anymore. They should get rid of those animals and focus on fighting human being.

GreekWolf

shidoshi said:
As much as I hate to say it, that's kind of how I feel now after playing Uncharted. Before I played, it was in the "haha Dude Raider!" crowd... but now, to me, that game is the new standard.

I've also worn a bit weary of under-dressed Lara as well, though, which doesn't help any.
From my perspective, it's the complete opposite.

I was REALLY excited when Uncharted was first announced, because it looked to be an evolutionary progression of the action/adventure genre. Unfortunately, it turned out to be nothing of the sort. I was incredibly disappointed in the almost obnoxious emphasis in gunplay, at the cost of exploration and discovery.

As wonderful as the production values are, it really is the epitome of Gears in the Jungle. It doesn't exist in the same genre as Tomb Raider, any more than Panzer Dragoon is similar to Lair.

dark10x

RockmanWhore said:
Tomb Raider should copy-paste Uncharted's shooting mechanic. Randomly jumping and shooting tiger isn't fun anymore. They should get rid of those animals and focus on fighting human being.
No they should not. TRA was the best game in the series in quite sometime and it was all due to the fact that your biggest enemy was the level itself. Exploring and platforming through the levels is where the fun comes from. Uncharted is a completely different type of game (and also great, but in a different way). I see no reason for them to copy one another any further.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Uncharted is more gears of War than Gears of war is Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider isn't a shooter. It has some shooting....sure.

mollipen

GreekWolf said:
I was REALLY excited when Uncharted was first announced, because it looked to be an evolutionary progression of the action/adventure genre. Unfortunately, it turned out to be nothing of the sort. I was incredibly disappointed in the almost obnoxious emphasis in gunplay, at the cost of exploration and discovery.

Yeah, let me be fair: I wish there had been more exploration/puzzle elements in Uncharted, so that's a fair complaint. But man... I love the gunplay. As well, the overall story elements were just so epic (which I don't remember any of the Tomb Raiders I've played being), and the character of Nathan a hundred times more likable than Lara.

If anything, I hope Uncharted game Tomb Raider a kick in the ass and makes the series better, and in turn, I hope the same happens the other way around.

Firewire

Banned
Snoopers: Is there any word on this being at Leipzig? Any idea if it will be playable? Do you think you'll be able to get game play video?

dark10x said:
No they should not. TRA was the best game in the series in quite sometime and it was all due to the fact that your biggest enemy was the level itself. Exploring and platforming through the levels is where the fun comes from. Uncharted is a completely different type of game (and also great, but in a different way). I see no reason for them to copy one another any further.

Yeah, I agree, but that dosn't meant Tomb Raider needs better shooting mechanics for the few shooting sections....

Copying Uncharted seems like a good solution...

Kapsama

Enough with this Tomb Raider nonsense. Can we please get a new Pandemonium or Soul Reaver game? Hell Akuji the Heartless 2 would be better too.

deepbrown

Mohonky said:
When people say this are they talking about the in game animation or are they talking about the cutscene animations? The facial animation and those in the cutscenes in general are phenomenal, but as soon as you get in game Drake's movement is stiff, awkward and often disjointed with very little cohesion between transitions (jumping to running or climbing up a ledge to standing). In my opinion thats one area where the game falls flat for me yet everytime I see Uncharted brought up animation is the second thing after the graphics it gets praised for.
What? Uncharted has the best transitions of any game, because it's all layered.

dark10x

Relaxed Muscle said:
Yeah, I agree, but that dosn't meant Tomb Raider needs better shooting mechanics for the few shooting sections....

Copying Uncharted seems like a good solution...
Fair enough. You're right, the gunplay is awful in all Tomb Raider games. Not even slightly worthwhile. The Uncharted system WOULD work very well in TR and may be a great system to use provided it doesn't become the focus.

I think that's part of the problem, though. When designed a game like Uncharted or Gears of War you have to make sure the levels themselves work well with that type of gameplay. Just dropping such a system in the kinds of levels TR is known for would yield poor results. They'd have to specifically divide up combat and exploration if they wanted both to work well, I think.

Kapsama said:
Enough with this Tomb Raider nonsense. Can we please get a new Pandemonium or Soul Reaver game? Hell Akuji the Heartless 2 would be better too.

Tomb Raider games are the new Soul Reaver games, for the better or for the worst, get over it....

And Pandemonium sucked harder than Lara will be able to suck...whatever she sucks...

Forsete

Looks nice enough, but they better improve on the gameplay. The last game felt a bit old, and after having played duderaider they better step that shit up.

Oh and the big U has poor animation? Oh Gaf.

dark10x said:
Fair enough. You're right, the gunplay is awful in all Tomb Raider games. Not even slightly worthwhile. The Uncharted system WOULD work very well in TR and may be a great system to use provided it doesn't become the focus.

I think that's part of the problem, though. When designed a game like Uncharted or Gears of War you have to make sure the levels themselves work well with that type of gameplay. Just dropping such a system in the kinds of levels TR is known for would yield poor results. They'd have to specifically divide up combat and exploration if they wanted both to work well, I think.

Yeah, the good (only good) thing about the Tomb Raider shooting mechanics, they don't need any extra element to work, you can put enemies in any room that with the jumping and shooting the action will work without problem, in the other hand cover,explosive barrels,etc... mechanics need especific design to work that it could be hard to work with the exploring elements of the specific room, so they will need to separate the action rooms or zones from the explorating rooms or zones..., but I'll take that rather than having again those shotting mechanics....

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
This is going to be my first tomb raider game in a long time. Haven't touched the series since the first game.

Kapsama

Relaxed Muscle said:
Tomb Raider games are the new Soul Reaver games, for the better or for the worst, get over it....

And Pandemonium sucked harder than Lara will be able to suck...whatever she sucks...

Pandemonium invented Klonoa's whole style unbeliever.

unexplain.jpg

I actually remember a screen shot from Tomb Raider GBC showing Lara "jump kicking" an enemy and everyone wondered if she was going to do hand to hand combat.

She was actually just midjump animation in the screenshot. Maybe this is a reference to that by someone on the team who recalls the attention that shot got in EGM.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
drakesfortune said:
Better animation?!?! HUH?! That's absolute crazy talk in my opinion. Uncharted stands as a king amongst men in that department.

Altiar has something to say about that.

Top Bottom