• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS360] New images of Tomb Raider Underworld (LUSH!)

thuway

Drinky Crow said:
holy shit, this kills uncharted graphically

having artists with actual modeling skills helps a bit, too

Unless this is some inside GAF sarcastic joke I have missed, I have to disagree completely.

i hate bees said:
5dtm49.jpg

:lol :lol :lol oh my god...

Amir0x

Banned
Jesus the Wii version looks awful. Never post Wii screens in a thread with proper HD gen screens, the disparity is usually too much!

as far as wii graphics go through... i was pretty impressed with the look of the game. if the fundamental game plays better i might spring of the wii one. if the next gen games play worse but have real time selfcasting shadows in the tombs and stuff i exrta atmosphere would make for a much better game.

h3ro said:

how could the devs/PR team honestly think this shot looks good. Plus the game looks like a low res Uncharted

PR team: "Jump kicking a tiger? The kids will totally think this is cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

firen

So let me get this straight. Uncharted is a Tomb Raider clone, and Tomb Raider Underworld is an Uncharted clone. So by the transitive property Uncharted is an Uncharted clone?!

dejay

Banned
firen said:
So let me get this straight. Uncharted is a Tomb Raider clone, and Tomb Raider Underworld is an Uncharted clone. So by the transitive property Uncharted is an Uncharted clone?!

Ahh - yeah. 1+1= window.

Anyway, keeping the meme alive....
znt27t.jpg

Sorry :(

firen said:
Well, Tomb Raider came first, didn't it?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
NullPointer said:

Yeah, but Tomb Raider is just Indiana Jones with a chick. But Indiana Jones is just The Perils of Pauline with a dude. Will the madness ever end?

lopaz

Banned
Haven't played a TR since 3, do they still have Lara's house? That was always the best bit. Quadbike track ftw

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Always-honest said:
sorry:
2iuwbqs.jpg

damn photobucket...
I just choked on my drink when I saw that, :lol :lol :lol

On a more serious note, game looks awesome, as long as the gameplay keeps following the improvement curve from Legend & Anniversary, Crystal Dynamics should be on to a winner.

Rolf NB

While shopping around with the jump-kick image, I noticed that this is very likely itself already a composite. There's a leaf in front of Lara's left leg that shouldn't be there for the perspective to make any sense.
IOW they manufactured this nonsense on purpose :lol

Stop It said:
On a more serious note, game looks awesome, as long as the gameplay keeps following the improvement curve from Legend & Anniversary, Crystal Dynamics should be on to a winner.
It's been said time and time again that Underworld will be a mix of the two. Some action here and there from Legend and the total isolation and atmosphere from Anniversary. I'd imagine that would only be a step in the right direction.

lopaz said:
She burned her fucking house? Damn. Do not want.
You watched the teaser trailer? So you saw Lara detonating it from outside? Well, if you watched the gameplay trailer (latest one), you can actually see Lara in the mansion while it's crumbling in fire.

laraisbackzomg4.jpg

laraisbackzomg7.jpg

laraisbackzomg10.jpg

tr8trailer0241.jpg

tr8trailer0242.jpg

tr8trailer0243.jpg

Go figure. :\

Rolf NB

Larson Conway said:
It's been said time and time again that Underworld will be a mix of the two. Some action here and there from Legend and the total isolation and atmosphere from Anniversary. I'd imagine that would only be a step in the right direction.

You watched the teaser trailer? So you saw Lara detonating it from outside? Well, if you watched the gameplay trailer (latest one), you can actually see Lara in the mansion while it's crumbling in fire.

<pics>

There's acutally a very clear and straightforward explanation to all of this.
Lara Croft took up bounty hunting, traveled to Tallon IV and fought with Metroid Prime. After the fight, Metroid Prime was defeated but the slobbery bastard managed to touch Lara and kept a sampling of her. Out of the Phazon and Lara's cells, under the care of what was left of the Metroid Prime, Dark Lara formed and oh boy, she's an angry bitch.
The game that will tell this story is the upcoming prequel to Tomb Raider Underworld.
Obviously.

wouwie

The screenshots look amazing. I have never played a Tomb Raider game before though so i am wondering what i should expect from the gameplay. Is it a bit like Uncharted? I loved Uncharted but would have preferred a bit more focus on platforming and puzzles. The setting in both Uncharted and Tomb Raider Underworld looks amazing.

Are these screenshots from the pc version? What can we expect from the ps3 version?

Rolf NB

wouwie said:
The screenshots look amazing. I have never played a Tomb Raider game before though so i am wondering what i should expect from the gameplay. Is it a bit like Uncharted? I loved Uncharted but would have preferred a bit more focus on platforming and puzzles. The setting in both Uncharted and Tomb Raider Underworld looks amazing.

Are these screenshots from the pc version? What can we expect from the ps3 version?
Tomb Raider is focused much more heavily on traversing terrain and solving environmental puzzles. There's combat, too, you can pick up guns and stuff, but it's very simple, and doesn't take up much time. So yeah, they are very different.

What I used to like to say was that Uncharted is the inverse of Tomb Raider. The big challenges in Uncharted are the gun fights, and the traversal is easy-peasy downtime. The game rewards you for your combat prowess by showing you a nice view over an obstacle course.
It's the opposite in Tomb Raider, or at least it was in Legend. All difficulty comes from figuring out how to get across a room or through a canyon or somesuch. Quick, awesome gunfights are your reward. The instant you pick up a gun you're basically unstoppable.

wouwie

bcn-ron said:
Tomb Raider is focused much more heavily on traversing terrain and solving environmental puzzles. There's combat, too, you can pick up guns and stuff, but it's very simple, and doesn't take up much time. So yeah, they are very different.

What I used to like to say was that Uncharted is the inverse of Tomb Raider. The big challenges in Uncharted are the gun fights, and the traversal is easy-peasy downtime. The game rewards you for your combat prowess by showing you a nice view over an obstacle course.
It's the opposite in Tomb Raider, or at least it was in Legend. All difficulty comes from figuring out how to get across a room or through a canyon or somesuch. Quick, awesome gunfights are your reward. The instant you pick up a gun you're basically unstoppable.

Thanks for the info! Sounds great actually. Seems just my kind of game :)

bcn-ron said:

Spot on. Here's what Eric Lindstrom (Underworld Creative Director) says on the matter:

“Uncharted and Tomb Raider aren’t the same genre. Uncharted focused on combat along a beautiful corridor, with some light exploration and puzzle solving along the way. The adventure that Tomb Raider: Underworld provides is about discovering amazing places, interacting with them in a wide variety of ways – climbing, solving large-scale puzzles, making sense of the world and using it dynamically to your advantage, fighting enemies natural and unnatural – and solving a great mystery about the ancient world

lopaz

Banned
Larson Conway said:

She's probably just going to extreme lengths to kill the butler. His tray is bulletproof... but is it EXPLOSION proof?

Top Bottom