• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS360] New images of Tomb Raider Underworld (LUSH!)

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Always-honest said:
2iuwbqs.jpg

Awesome. :lol

FIREBABY

All jokes aside. That tiger has got to be one of the best looking game rendered animals this gen. Looking at some of the animals in other games, they may won't to pass on the secret.

thuway said:
Unless this is some inside GAF sarcastic joke I have missed, I have to disagree completely.

no sarcasm. don't take tomb raider to task for your technical and aesthetic ignorance, and don't blame gaf because you've coupled your sense of awe to cell processor pr shenanigans.

firen said:
So let me get this straight. Uncharted is a Tomb Raider clone, and Tomb Raider Underworld is an Uncharted clone. So by the transitive property Uncharted is an Uncharted clone?!

Uncharted is a shooter while Tomb Raider is a platformer. They are set in similar locations, so people compare them.

Rolf NB

firen said:
So let me get this straight. Uncharted is a Tomb Raider clone, and Tomb Raider Underworld is an Uncharted clone. So by the transitive property Uncharted is an Uncharted clone?!
Uncharted is Indiana Jones with boobs without boobs (in that order; the boobs operator is not associative).

Dizzan

MINI Member
permutated said:
I agree. They're very similar games, and Uncharted just does everything better.

For once I agree with you. :D

That being said, Tomb Raider has been a little hit and miss in the past but every game has at least been worth a playthrough.

This is on my radar and depending on reviews I will be picking it up. Uncharted 2 is at least a year away so it's a nice stop-gap.

Gribbix

permutated said:
I agree. They're very similar games, and Uncharted just does everything better.

Everything? Bullshit. Uncharted's shooting/combat aspect is much better than Tomb Raider's (and it damn well better be considering gunplay is Uncharted's primary focus). On the other hand, TRA's environmental puzzles and platforming are far ahead of Uncharted's "puzzles" and platforming.

Gribbix said:
Everything? Bullshit. Uncharted's shooting/combat aspect is much better than Tomb Raider's (and it damn well better be considering gunplay is Uncharted's primary focus). On the other hand, TRA's environmental puzzles and platforming are far ahead of Uncharted's "puzzles" and platforming.

Hmmmmm I liked the platforming in Uncharted much better than the last few Tomb Raider games, but you are right about the environmental puzzles; Tomb Raider beats Uncharted on that front.

Dizzan said:
For once I agree with you. :D

I didn't realize you and I were enemies, I always thought you were cool...I'm a pug fan too.

Peace?

peace.jpg

Dizzan

MINI Member
permutated said:
Hmmmmm I liked the platforming in Uncharted much better than the last few Tomb Raider games, but you are right about the environmental puzzles; Tomb Raider beats Uncharted on that front.

I didn't realize you and I were enemies, I always thought you were cool...I'm a pug fan too.

Peace?

:lol Enemies? NO! You crack me up.

I just don't always agree with with you. You know, you're a little crazy. :D

Dizzan said:
:lol Enemies? NO! You crack me up.

I just don't always agree with with you. You know, you're a little crazy. :D

I'm pretty outspoken against hype, and I don't like alot of the games that are being hyped right now (Gears 2, LBP, Killzone 2, Fable 2), so sometimes I come off as a c*nt.

But oh well, at least I'm cracking people up ^_^

Go ahead and compare Uncharted and Tomb Raider on the environments front (realization of environments, lushness, aliveness, awesomeness, etc.), but IMO you can not compare them when it comes to combat and platforming. Uncharted = COMBAT > Platforming > COMBAT. Tomb Raider = Platforming > PUZZLES > Combat > PLATFORMING > Puzzles. End of.

Larson Conway said:
Go ahead and compare Uncharted and Tomb Raider on the environments front (realization of environments, lushness, aliveness, awesomeness, etc.), but IMO you can not compare them when it comes to combat and platforming. Uncharted = COMBAT > Platforming > COMBAT. Tomb Raider = Platforming > PUZZLES > Combat > PLATFORMING > Puzzles. End of.
end of. you're right. the games have nothing in common. nothing.

Drinky Crow said:
holy shit, this kills uncharted graphically

having artists with actual modeling skills helps a bit, too

I think I like the way the jungle in this looks more than I do the jungle in Uncharted, but TR is going to have a hard time beating Naughty Dog's animators, especially regarding facial expressions and body language.

Sega1991 said:
I think I like the way the jungle in this looks more than I do the jungle in Uncharted, but TR is going to have a hard time beating Naughty Dog's animators, especially regarding facial expressions and body language.
You're probably right. Right now, I think CD is more focused on getting the atmosphere, gameplay, exploration, platforming, and puzzles, rather than getting Lara to be her utmost realistic self. They've actually expressed that they have always had a conscious decision to make Lara not realistic.

bcn-ron said:
While shopping around with the jump-kick image, I noticed that this is very likely itself already a composite. There's a leaf in front of Lara's left leg that shouldn't be there for the perspective to make any sense.
IOW they manufactured this nonsense on purpose :lol

Holy shit you're right.

They definitely knew places like NeoGaf would go to town on this. And as long as we're talking, right?

p.s. Hell yes @ your avatar. Best campaign for a shooter I've played this gen (aside from Bioshock, that's a different type of game.)

wouwie said:
The screenshots look amazing. I have never played a Tomb Raider game before though so i am wondering what i should expect from the gameplay. Is it a bit like Uncharted? I loved Uncharted but would have preferred a bit more focus on platforming and puzzles. The setting in both Uncharted and Tomb Raider Underworld looks amazing.

Are these screenshots from the pc version? What can we expect from the ps3 version?

::head explodes::

Go get Tomb Raider Legend now. You have no excuse, it's like $10 used now. It's the more action oriented Tomb Raider revival, after it's long string of suckiness.

Then go get anniversary and realize how it murders Uncharted in 10 ways.

Tomb Raider's puzzles are really interesting and smart. They're not super easy to solve, and there are quite a few. More in Anniversary than Legend, as Legend was more of an experiment from the new developers to make TR interesting again (it worked).

Timber

Looks a lot better graphically than
Tomb Raider Anniversary lol

Seriously tho, shut up about Uncharted.

jonnybryce said:
::head explodes::

Go get Tomb Raider Legend now. You have no excuse, it's like $10 used now. It's the more action oriented Tomb Raider revival, after it's long string of suckiness.

Then go get anniversary and realize how it murders Uncharted in 10 ways.

Tomb Raider's puzzles are really interesting and smart. They're not super easy to solve, and there are quite a few. More in Anniversary than Legend, as Legend was more of an experiment from the new developers to make TR interesting again (it worked).
You're my new favorite Gaffer. Seriously. Word.

reakt

Linkzg said:
Uncharted is a shooter while Tomb Raider is a platformer. They are set in similar locations, so people compare them.

If you've played through both then you'll know there's a lot more similarities than looks and location. For example, climbing to high ledges to pull a combination of switches or levers; puzzles that need to be completed to unlock doors. I'm on my 4th time through Drakes at the moment (trying to get all the trophies). I would say that the puzzles in Drakes are all ridiculously easy and all the same. - Look in the book, follow the clue, move the thing right in front of you! In some of the Tomb Raider games certain puzzles have had me stumped for a longer than that!

I didnt think Legends was anything special but this looks sooo good.
Just bring back the theme song for Thors Hammer from the first game and I am all over this.

hmm, Its tomb raider all right. I really enjoyed uncharted and checked some vids of this to see if I can get interested in a TR game for once. Just not my thing, I just find the game boring for some reason

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Yeah, kicking a tiger in the face... weird.

But I mean, the combat is not good in Tomb Raider and definitely needs to be revamped, but... I don't know. It doesn't bother me now nearly as much as it used to. I'm playing through Tomb Raider Anniversary now and I don't really mind it that much.

I mean, I just see Tomb Raider as a platformer with some lite shooting. I think it excels in Platforming and does a less than stellar job at combat. I'm not exactly sure how they would fix the combat, too. I don't want Tomb Raider to turn into Gears of War. Maybe I'm just not thinking hard enough. What would be a logical way to fix the shooting segments without completely changing the formula of the game?

nelsonroyale said:
hmm, Its tomb raider all right. I really enjoyed uncharted and checked some vids of this to see if I can get interested in a TR game for once. Just not my thing, I just find the game boring for some reason
How could you be bored by it when it's not even released?

Fantastical said:
Yeah, kicking a tiger in the face... weird.

But I mean, the combat is not good in Tomb Raider and definitely needs to be revamped, but... I don't know. It doesn't bother me now nearly as much as it used to. I'm playing through Tomb Raider Anniversary now and I don't really mind it that much.

I mean, I just see Tomb Raider as a platformer with some lite shooting. I think it excels in Platforming and does a less than stellar job at combat. I'm not exactly sure how they would fix the combat, too. I don't want Tomb Raider to turn into Gears of War. Maybe I'm just not thinking hard enough. What would be a logical way to fix the shooting segments without completely changing the formula of the game?
I'm definitely with you here. Combat is not the star of Tomb Raider, although I agree to some extent that they should be atleast polished and not ridiculous and weird. It's just unfortunate that combat is what most people are after nowadays. Real hardcore platforming is a lost gem in this age. Right, Mario? Lara? Am I missing someone?

FuKuy

The title of the post should be: [PCPS360] because the PC version will be the same as the nextgen consoles.

By the way, the game looks amazing!!!

Darkpen

Banned
snoopers said:
Just saw this.

Thank GOD they made a return with the slowdown circle-lockon-onehitkill thing :D That's like, the only way to kill things D:

And really, please tell me those people comparing this to Uncharted are joking D:

No, TR does NOT need a combat makeover. As long as there are no human enemies, its fine as is. What people don't realize (if they're serious) is that in uncharted, there was a run-and-gun combat system in place. But unlike Uncharted, where the only unarmed enemies were those
zombies
, in TR ALL of your enemies are like those
zombies
: they don't shoot.

However, for those purists out there, there actually was an aiming mode in Anniversary, so eh.

So no, I don't want a revamped combat mechanic. What they're doing right now is fine.

Though, the animation feels like it could do some work. It might have been a while since I played Anniversary, but it looks like there isn't much momentum to her movements or something.

Top Bottom