• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3's having snowy screen, cable's getting old or my RSX is on the way out?

Xenoflare

Sorry that I don't have a picture, but my PS3's been having some weird snowy screen problems recently, sometimes that the snowy screen shows up covering half a screen when launching a game, but today it just went on full flickering mid game and it's resolved by a restart.

Am I SOL? I use a HDMI to DVI and I don't have any other cables to test it, but I replugged everything just in case.

Anyone else had similar problems?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
like this
Q80CeR2l.jpg

or this
ssLXNUf.png

Taker34

Banned
Had similar problems. If it's flickering (bright/white) then it's almost certainly an incoming YLOD. My friends fat PS3 died like that when he lent it to me. Plugged it into my TV and after 15 min. of strobing lights it died.
I think he still hates me a little bit.

Xenoflare

Had similar problems. If it's flickering (bright/white) then it's almost certainly an incoming YLOD. My friends fat PS3 died like that when he lent it to me. Plugged it into my TV and after 15 min. of strobing lights it died.
I think he still hates me a little bit.

It went completely white and (colored?) flickering, like you would see on a not-available tv station

Xenoflare

Sounds more like a HDCP issue to me. I'd try a new cable to narrow it down.

Unfortunately I don't have any spare HDMI-DVI cables, but thank you very much for your input.

That reminds me... this happened to me too when I first got my PS3 back in '09, I had a faulty HDMI-DVI cable and it shows nothing but the snow screen when powered up. But what I experienced today is a tad bit too suspicious since it happened mid game, and sometimes it shows up for a split of a second covering half of the screen when I launch a game.

Xenoflare

More purples, correct? It's your HDMI cable, or hopefully not your HDMI connector on the console.

I wouldn't say more purples, but I definitely saw more colors than just black. It's mostly white with colored tiny spots flickering.

It happened for just a second and I panicked. Sorry about the lack of details.

I wouldn't say more purples, but I definitely saw more colors than just black. It's mostly white with colored tiny spots flickering.

It happened for just a second and I panicked. Sorry about the lack of details.

Yea that's what I mean, colorful snow. I had that issue with my PS3 once, I thought something was wrong but turned out to be a faulty HDMI cable. Hopefully that's the same case here. Good luck!

Xenoflare

Yea that's what I mean, colorful snow. I had that issue with my PS3 once, I thought something was wrong but turned out to be a faulty HDMI cable. Hopefully that's the same case here. Good luck!

Thanks! I noticed that the back of the console is getting really dusty hopefully it's just that, I'm just going to clean it and drop by the store over the weekend to see if they have any more HDMI-DVI cables, just in case.

Xenoflare

Cable. I have the same issue.

Thanks, based on everyone's comment here it's mostly likely a cable problem, or a bad HDMI port problem. Although YLOD is a possibility.

The HDMI part of the cable is getting pretty dirty and I cleaned it with a bit of rubbing alcohol. Hopefully this will solve the problem.

Xenoflare

It looks like this, doesn't it?
uDNuNBP.png

hopefully it's just a faulty cable.

yes

Yes, although the noise points are much finer (or should I say smaller?). But it's definitely colored and not just black and white. It's mostly white though.

Other than cable, the HDMI connector port on the console might be at fault too, but I checked... nothing is bent or rusted, it's a bit dusty though

I have OCD episodes when my stuff fucks up. If you search into my history I did the same thing with a scratched 3DS circle pad.

Thanks a lot.

Xenoflare

After some digging I find this image illustrates my problem the best.

5669383820111207191056089.jpg

Might be a bit blurry, but you can see the colored spots with a mostly white snow screen

I had a similar problem. In the end it was caused by the Deep Colour option in the Display settings on the PS3. I turned off deep colour and everything was back to normal. This was a PS3 slim.

Xenoflare

I had a similar problem. In the end it was caused by the Deep Colour option in the Display settings on the PS3. I turned off deep colour and everything was back to normal. This was a PS3 slim.

I have a PS3 slim that had deep color on too... but I had it on since the day I got it and it never gave me the problem until now.

Luminaire

Do you have a PS1 or PS2 laying around? The AV cables from those should work in the PS3 so you'd be able to test it and see if you get the same result.

Edit: Assuming you have a TV with said connections.

Xenoflare

Do you have a PS1 or PS2 laying around? The AV cables from those should work in the PS3 so you'd be able to test it and see if you get the same result.

Nope, I wish I had more spare cables to test this....

Really hope this is just a cable problem. I know I've been saying this a lot and the feedback from everyone are mostly positive, but I'm still a bit scared.

For reference, I cleaned and replugged the HDMI part of the cable, and so far I'm been using it for about an hour and there are no signs of it coming back.

The PS3 is more than 4 years old first gen 250GB slim, really don't want to pick up a super slim because it just looks really cheaply made and brittle.

Luminaire

Nope, I wish I had more spare cables to test this....

Really hope this is just a cable problem. I know I've been saying this a lot and the feedback from everyone are mostly positive, but I'm still a bit scared.

For reference, I cleaned and replugged the HDMI part of the cable, and so far I'm been using it for about an hour and there are no signs of it coming back.

The PS3 is more than 4 years old first gen 250GB slim, really don't want to pick up a super slim because it just looks really cheaply made and brittle.

None of the pins in the DVI cable are pushed in or bent, right? The issue you're having doesn't seem to be similar to the more critical failures of the PS3 (YLOD, etc). It sounds like a cable, as everyone is saying. Either way, I'd back up my saves if I were you.

Xenoflare

None of the pins in the DVI cable are pushed in or bent, right? The issue you're having doesn't seem to be similar to the more critical failures of the PS3 (YLOD, etc). It sounds like a cable, as everyone is saying. Either way, I'd back up my saves if I were you.

No kidding, I have plus and I uploaded some of my crucial saves.

The HDMI end of the cable is dirty, but the pins on the PS3 port and the HDMI end of the cable are fine. I never really moved around the DVI end of the cable and it's very firmly attached to the monitor

Although the HDMI end also wiggles around left and right when I try to wiggle it, but it's not doing anything to the image and it takes force to eject it. Although it's been like this for as long as I could remember.

Top Bottom