• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 and Xbox One browser benchmarks from Anandtech

Zinthar

That's embarrassingly bad performance for the XBO browser, although even the PS4 is bested in both tests by the iPhone 5 (and all A6/A7 iPhones and iPads) and most Androids with an S4 Pro or better.

I decided to run the benchmarks on my 4.6 Ghz Ivy Bridge i7 desktop and got the following results:
Sunspider 1.0.2: 64.9ms (with IE 11)
Kracken 1.1: 990.3ms (with Chrome 31)

Sunspider is about 85ms with Chrome 31, and Kraken is around 1500ms with IE 11.

Black Hat

People actually use the browser on their consoles?

Lets be real here, do you really browse the web on your console? There's a case to be made for the Wii U or Vita due to being touchscreen, but if you're actually out to browse the web surely you just use your laptop, tablet or mobile, right?

Every time the PS4 does something better than the XB1 a similar recurring argument comes up.

i.e....
  • Do you really browse the web on your console?
  • Can you really see the difference between 1080p and 720p?

It's getting draining...

Zinthar

Every time the PS4 does something better than the XB1 a similar recurring argument comes up.

i.e....

• [*]Do you really browse the web on your console?

It's getting draining...

In the case of the bolded statement I agree, if only because most desktops/laptops from the past 5 years and most good phones/tablets from the past 15 months can do it faster, while also having much more suitable input methods for web browsing.

The best use of the PS4 browser is watching Banderas gif's.

Rockondevil

i.e....
  • Do you really browse the web on your console?

It's getting draining...

It's similar on the other side also.

i.e....
  • Do you really use YouTube on your console?
  • Does anyone actually use voice commands on anything?

tipoo

Banned
I am a web developer, you couldn't possibly change my opinion on browsers.

I'm not trying to nor do I need to. We are talking about Sunspider in specific, no? IE11 is one of the fastest on that. Period. So the "herp derp IE" comments in relation to the sunspider score, which again is the only thing I was talking about, doesn't make sense to blame on modern IE. Unless they're using IE8 or something, there's more to it.

IE on sunspider basically runs several of the tests as a no-op, optimizing away even running any code. Sunspider is not well suited to measure js performance anymore.

Same to you, doesn't matter how shitty it is, IE does it well was my only point.

Top Bottom