• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 add Boost Mode for PS4 Pro.

digital foundry be like

giphy.gif
Rev up those dual wield setups!

xion4360

so like how that batman game with no pro support still had improved performance? (until they pro patched it) guess sony finally listened and made it optional to have some boosted performance.. and if it breaks the game in any way then you turn it off.. this awesome.

JP

Good news, I wonder if there's also a change in relation to the rumoured resolution "boost" at system level?

I would assume that this frame rate "boost" is going to be a real advantage with games using a variable frame rate or games that perhaps have an 30 or 60 frame rate that aren't quite achieving that at all times.

The increase in framerate will be minimal for most games. Any of you expecting 60fps Bloodborne are out of your fucking minds. If a game is capped at 30fps, this will not remove the cap. Also there's a very high probability this will break games in weird ways.

This is not a Megaton by a long shot. Get off your horses!

Tarnpanzer

Good for games with bad performance like BF4 or games with unlocked framerate like Killzone. 30fps locked Games like Bloodborne won´t benefit from it is my guess...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Good news, I wonder if there's also a change in relation to the rumoured resolution "boost" at system level?

I would assume that this frame rate "boost" is going to be a real advantage with games using a variable frame rate or games that perhaps have an 30 or 60 frame rate that aren't quite achieving that at all times.

It's not clear if the GPU resources are available in this mode too. If so, games with dynamic resolution might more often stick to their upper range. But others won't magically allocate a higher res framebuffer, so the benefit will almost exclusively be to framerate.

Elandyll

Banned
You people mentioning 60fps are fucking crazy.

Right...?
On unlocked games? Why not, specially if they were already in the 45ish range (Infamous 2nd Son in unlock mode afaik).
On locked fps games, it should help push things to full stable.

Interestingly, it seems like it'll be a user toggle choice on a per game basis (click option on game icon?), so it could have interesting results.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If this is true, this is just the XBox One S situation. it doesn't suddenly make your games run at double the FPS. Calm the eff down people lmao.

Of course, i guess we can expect better than XB1S results since XB1S only had a 10% GPU upclock and here we're talking about a 30% CPU upclock and over 100% GPU revision.

Still, its a very minor change and can still eff up games depending on circumstances.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The increase in framerate will be minimal for most games. Any of you expecting 60fps Bloodborne are out of your fucking minds. If a game is capped at 30fps, this will not remove the cap. Also there's a very high probability this will break games in weird ways.

This is not a Megaton by a long shot. Get off your horses!

Try harder.

Elandyll

Banned
If this is true, this is just the XBox One S situation. it doesn't suddenly make your games run at double the FPS. Calm the eff down people lmao
There is a much bigger difference between PS4 and pro than XB1 and S.
Which is probably why they warn of unpredictable results (on unlocked games I imagine). I also imagine it'll be a per game opt-in instead of a general new feature applied by default for that reason.

DieH@rd

Banned
People that think this means 60FPS versions of games are mental.

enjoy your 3-5fps boost.

At least this will now deflect the hatred for Sony on to the individual developers of the games with locked 30fps.

30%+ larger CPU clock and 2x stronger GPU... the boost will be noticeable [for games that support it].

I may install Killzone Shadow Fall to see if it gets close to 60, out of curiosity. I also have Bioshock Infinite and I don't remember that being locked 60. There's a lot oficina games out there to test.

Top Bottom