• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware 4.50 and PSVR 2.40 releases March 9th

massucci

Banned
God I hope sony find a way to push the boost mode even more in the future. A little trick to use the double of the CUs, because the improvement would be a lot more impressive.

icespide

Banned
God I hope sony find a way to push the boost mode even more in the future. A little trick to use the double of the CUs, because the improvement would be a lot more impressive.
I'm pretty underwhelmed by boost mode to be honest since 99% of games have frame rate locks. The only real game that impresses me is Just cause 3

belvedere

Junior Butler
I'm pretty underwhelmed by boost mode to be honest since 99% of games have frame rate locks. The only real game that impresses me is Just cause 3

BF4 saw huge improvements as well. I've been meaning to go back and give it a try. Part of the reason I quit playing was because of some of the massive dives the framerate took.

uocooper

This will be updated once the firmware officially drops but since some people have asked, here's a list of boost mode's impacts.

That post is pretty outdated now. Here's a more recent version. Keep in mind that this is a compilation of GAF impressions, not rigorous analysis. What people view as framerate improvements varies, and can even be entirely mistaken.

This is probably the last time I'll post the summary in this rough condition. As noted above, a nicer, more precise version will be added to my Pro enhancement thread whenever the firmware is officially released.

TOTAL GAMES: 96
GAMES WITH NO IMPROVEMENT SEEN: 12
GAMES REPORTED TO CRASH OR HAVE ISSUES: 9*

*Note that issues may be unrelated to Boost mode

GAME LIST
Albedo - Framerate improvements
Alien Isolation - Framerate improvements
Arcania - Framerate improvements
Assassin's Creed Black Flag - No visible improvements
Assassin's Creed Unity - Large framerate improvements
Assetto Corsa - Framerate improvements
Attack on Titan - Framerate improvements
Batman Arkham Knight - Framerate improvements
Batman The Telltale Series - Framerate still bad, may or may not be improved
Battlefield 4 - Framerate improvements
Battlefield Hardline - Framerate improvements
Bioshock Infinite - Framerate improvements
Bloodborne - Framerate improvements in the rare cases where it drops far, but little visible difference during regular gameplay. Much faster load times.
Broforce - Improved framerate, but still not smooth
Call of Duty Ghosts - Better hold to 60fps in multiplayer
Contrast - Framerate improvements
Costume Quest 2 - Framerate improvements
The Crew - No visible improvements
Dark Cloud 2 - No visible improvements
Darksiders 2 - Framerate improvements, tearing gone
Dark Souls II - Framerate improvements
Dark Souls III - Framerate improvements, still framepacing issues.
Daylight - Framerate improvements
Dead Island - Still stuttery, no visible improvement
The Deadly Tower of Monsters - Framerate improvements
Dead Rising 2 - Framerate improvements
Destiny - Framerate improvements during stress conditions. Slightly faster load times
Dishonored - Framerate improvements reported, but game was already extremely consistent 30fps
Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition - Framerate improvements in co-op. Faster load times
Dragon Age Inquisition - Maybe minor framerate improvements
Dragon Quest Builders - No visible improvement
Dragon Quest Heroes - Framerate improvements
Dragon Quest Heroes 2 - Framerate improvements
Driveclub - Framerate already locked 30fps, no improvement. Motion blur sometimes slightly improved.
Dying Light - Framerate possibly improved, but also report of added stuttering (may be due to db vsync popping between 30 and 60fps)
EDF 4.1 - Framerate improvements. Faster load times
Enter the Gungeon - Framerate improvements
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - Framerate improved, but still issues
The Evil Within - Framerate greatly improved, especially when not letterboxed. Faster load times
F1 2016 - Framerate improvements in stress conditions such as rain
Final Fantasy XIV - Improved framerate in populated zones
Furi - Framerate improvements, much less tearing
God Eater Resurrection - No visible improvements
Grand Theft Auto V - Improved framerate in city driving
Grow Home - Very stuttery, no visible improvements (possibly worse?)
Grow Up - Framerate slightly improved, but AA may be broken by boost
Homefront Revolution - Framerate improvements
Just Cause 3 - Framerate greatly improved, especially during explosive chaos.
Killzone Shadow Fall - Framerate improvements, but 30fps lock may not work
Legend of Kay - Framerate improvements
LEGO Dimensions - Framerate improvements
Little Big Planet 3 - Framerate improvements
Lords of the Fallen - Framerate improvements, tearing much reduced
Mad Max - Framerate improvements
Marvel Ultimate Alliance - Framerate improvements. Faster loading times.
Mighty No. 9 - Framerate improvements*
Mirrors Edge Catalyst - No visible improvements
Oddworld New and Tasty - Framerate improvements
One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 - Framerate improvements
Outlast - Framerate improvements, tearing much reduced
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 - Framerate improvements
Project Cars - Framerate improvements, though still some issues in crowded wet conditions
Psychonauts - Still has framerate hitches like before. Faster load times
Pure Pool - Framerate improvements
Rainbow 6 Siege - Framerate greatly improved in uncapped Terrorist Hunt mode.
Resident Evil 5 - Framerate improvements
Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Framerate improvements, but also report of crashing
Rocket League - Possible framerate improvements?
Saints Row 4 - Framerate improvements, but still not consistent
Samurai Warriors 4 - Framerate improvements
Shadow Complex - No visible improvements*
Shadow Warrior - Large framerate improvements
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Framerate improvements*
Sleeping Dogs - Framerate improvements on foot, but still issues when moving quickly in cars
Slender: The Arrival - Added lighting errors
Sniper Elite III - Framerate improvements
Soma - Crashes, or sometimes runs inconsistently in boost mode
Star Ocean V: Integrity and Faithlessness - Framerate improvements
Star Wars Battlefront - Framerate improvements
Stories: The Path of Destinies - Framerate improvements
Street Fighter V - Faster load times
Table Top Racing - Framerate improvements
Tales from the Borderlands - Framerate improvements, but maybe more lockups during loading
The Talos Principle - Framerate improvements
Tembo the Badass Elephant - Crashes. May be unrelated to boost mode
Tomb Raider - Framerate improvements
Trivial Pursuit Live - Still stuttery, no visible improvement
Tropico 5 - Framerate improvements with highly-developed land
Until Dawn - Framerate improvements
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Framerate improvements
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate - Framerate improvements
War Thunder - Framerate improvements
Witcher 3 - Framerate improvements in previous problem areas. Much faster load times.
Wolfenstein: The New Order - Improved texture streaming.
WWE 2K16 - Framerate improvements. Faster load times
Yakuza 0 - Framerate improvements, most tearing eliminated

Andrefpvs

I... half a second is an issue? I mean, that allows time for the press to be recorded then tell the OS to grab what is currently in the framebuffer. That's more or less normal and to be expected from this sort of thing. I have noticed for the past couple of years that some games do it faster than others for fairly obvious reasons, but I've never had issues capturing decent shots.

Well, at least for me it's an issue (although I can understand if others are okay with how it is right now). I've taken over 6000 screenshots and some of them come too late. I don't think it's to be expected, especially when my computer, PS Vita, and cell phone all take instantaneous screenshots.

But, like I said, I'm aware that I'm particularly sensitive to this delay, to the point where I might find it very noticeable when others don't. I'll live if this is never fixed, but it annoys me a little since I do use the feature a lot.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Joystick

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/5xt1jt/ps4_software_450_and_psvr_240_releases_tomorrow/

So I emailed playstation support about image drift problems that I'm still having. I briefly asked at the end on the email if 2.40 would fix this.

Don't count on the update fixing drift. I have ONLY had drift issues, both in gyro-only cinema mode and fully tracked game mode, starting with 4.50/2.40 beta.

While there was minor drifting before the beta in cinema mode it was manageable, maybe 10 degrees per minute. But since the beta (I literally used movies and games in cinema mode as a pre-test, updated to the beta, repeated movies/games as a post-test, all in the space of 20 minutes with no changes to seating position, lighting, etc) I experienced quite a lot of drift, like 45 degrees in the space of a minute at its worst. Fixed by facing forward and resetting view, and the "reset while turning" fix did appear to keep it more stable.

At another time, and this one might be a bug in the game, I was playing DiRT Rally in fully tracked VR mode (not cinema) and half way through a race the world started horizontal drifting to the point where I had to keep my head turned to the right to maintain a forward view out of the windscreen (a weird feeling). It worsened to 90 degrees at which point it was unplayable. Facing the windscreen (90 degrees to the right) and moving my head to the left (toward the camera in the real world) resulted in the game view moving forward toward the windscreen. That really messed with my head. It was eventually facing 180 degrees in the wrong direction and all movement was motion sickness+++. No amount of view reset fixed it. Restarted the game and all was good. I had never experienced this before the beta but then again it has only happened in DiRT which I didn't have prior to the beta.

Brannon

Hope this does release tomorrow.

On an off note, has anybody seen how it works with Warframe? The game gets pretty choppy at the higher levels with swarms of enemies and effects and loot dropping everywhere.

Kilau

How would a 3D bluray even look on PSVR?

They look pretty good to my eyes, the image is blown up in your face of course but the 3D effect is really nice. I rewatched the hobbit and avatar and it was nice that things weren't tinted by glasses like in the theater.

Wow fuck great timing, my PS VR is coming tomorrow.

Seems I'll need to buy another HDD now. Already only have like 350 GB left on my 2 TB.

Will buy a 3D movie maybe too.... haha.

Afrikan

so for games that already have Pro Patches...how are they still seeing improvements?

like say Rocket League?

does boost mode only work if PS4 Pro's HDMI output is 1.4? and the games are in 1080p?

or does it also improve performance to games that output 4K/4Kinda

Fournier

so for games that already have Pro Patches...how are they still seeing improvements?

like say Rocket League?

does boost mode only work if PS4 Pro's HDMI output is 1.4? and the games are in 1080p?

Boost mode is only for games without pro patches.

like say Rocket League?

There are no improvements to game that already have a pro patch

notacat

Wait, since when did Sony's Playstation division allow any sort of email contact?

All I've ever seen is some phone number, or live chat.

like say Rocket League?

Rocket League was Pro patched since that list was made.

Vashetti

Banned

like say Rocket League?

Boost Mode is only for non-Pro-enabled games. It lets them 'see' the improved hardware.

Pro-enabled games are already 'boosted'.

Fbh

like say Rocket League?

Rocket Legue only added Pro support like 2 weeks ago which is after that list was made.

Games that have official Pro support gain nothing from boost mode (since they are already officially boosted). Normally an official pro mode will give you better benefits (specially in regards to resolution), but it has also created some silly scenarios like Fallout 4 running better unpatched with boost mode than with official Pro support from Bethesda.

As far as I know boost mode has nothing to do with the the HDMI output since it mostly affects framerate and not resolution.

yup, me too but I think the themes with custom music have spoiled me. hopefully the next step after wallpaper is to allow us to upload music tracks to the dashboard.

A theme creator for everyone like they did with PS3 would be good and correct me if I'm wrong but they still sold themes on the store during that time too.

Top Bottom