• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware update 1.62 out now

Cheech

Isn't the bluray playback poor?

I think they stealth fixed a lot of problems with 1.6 or 1.61, because I stopped getting random black screens and assorted issues after that.

Prior to that, it was awful. Now it's ok. I do wish I had a bluetooth remote for it though, using the controller is ghetto as hell.

ElRenoRaven

yay stability....

Sony really needs to get on the ball with updates. They've always been awful with them. 99 percent of the time it's a stability update and rarely anything worthwhile. Let's be honest even though Sony's OS was the stronger of the two at launch it still had it's fair share of issues and missing features too. Yet unlike MS who to their credit are trying to fix things, Sony just doesn't seem to give a shit.

It's sad really.

azhar

Banned
That's not what I would call noteworthy new features, that's just optimizations of things which should have been like that at launch. Same with Twitch, should have been there at launch.

Call it what you want. Fact is, MS have been quite good about adding features to the XB1 since it launched. For every single person who already bought an Xbox before these updates rolled out, these updates represent a clear value add. They decided they were willing to pay $500 for the system as is, so when updates that significantly improve the OS come out, these improvements understandably make people excited.

CDTxrz4.gif

4+ months of fucking nothing

Disappointed in what?

Did Sony ever say they were going to be adding major features in the first few months of console launch?

They've been concentrating on getting the console out in all territories, there is more important stuff than adding fucking mp3 support.

Bold One

None of the upgrades we want will come until MS starts beating them in sales.

some folk will jump on me for this but Deep Down they know its true.

Lucifon

That list is a glorified "bug and stability fixes" list for the most part. There is no real functionality being added.

Game save info. Friend notifications. New audio settings. 3 of the 7 points are added functionality. Never understood why people point the finger elsewhere. As an owner of both systems MS are doing a great job of regular updates currently, whereas my PS4 has had stability updates and overpriced wireless headphone support added. Competition is good, MS doing a good job with updates will only spur Sony on to match and beat it.

Ape

Banned
At this point I'm starting to think that Sony is on a 12 month release cycle for updates. Probably only one big feature release every year.

That list is a glorified "bug and stability fixes" list for the most part. There is no real functionality being added.

There's no need to be upset.

madmackem

None of the upgrades we want will come until MS starts beating them in sales.

some folk will jump on me for this but Deep Down they know its true.

Utter fanboy bollocks, the fact is sony has way less to fix, xbox one dash has been a nightmare since launch, I still have issues with parties after the last big update. The only thing I'd like fixed on ps4 is the recording feature.

So it's nothing...

Wonder when we're going to get a substantial update. MS has been rolling them out for the Xbone, Sony needs to get with it.

madmackem

Game save info. Friend notifications. New audio settings. 3 of the 7 points are added functionality. Never understood why people point the finger elsewhere. As an owner of both systems MS are doing a great job of regular updates currently, whereas my PS4 has had stability updates and overpriced wireless headphone support added. Competition is good, MS doing a good job with updates will only spur Sony on to match and beat it.

That'll be the headphone update that doesn't require you to buy an adapter to work fully unlike the latest xboxone update and adapter launch?.

Disappointed in what?

Did Sony ever say they were going to be adding major features in the first few months of console launch?

They've been concentrating on getting the console out in all territories, there is more important stuff than adding fucking mp3 support.

Not so sure the software engineers are involved with the distribution channel.

but hey they are taking their sweet time, which may be good, meaning that they making sure the big update will be of A-1 quality. So we should not expect 1 bricked PS4 or any other issues related to their big update. Since that time they are using should be used to make sure its polished similar to Walter White's standards of quality when it comes to cooking meth.

Actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4_system_software

FLEABttn

Banned
Isn't the bluray playback poor?

I don't know if I'd call it "poor" but it's not as good as I'd like it to be. There's a couple discs I have that crash the console when started from standby and require me to eject the disc, fully power down, power back up, and re-enter the disc in order to get playback going.

It's a little disappointing when compared against the PS3 which is pretty much a blu-ray playing god.

Wouldn't that be silly if all this time the crashes in BF4 were being caused by PS4 instability? Poor Dice, working themselves so hard to fix something they have no control over.

FeiRR

Banned
People discussing Xbox firmware in a PS4 thread have serious problems comprehending how forums work.

I think they stealth fixed a lot of problems with 1.6 or 1.61, because I stopped getting random black screens and assorted issues after that.

Prior to that, it was awful. Now it's ok. I do wish I had a bluetooth remote for it though, using the controller is ghetto as hell.

I still have issues with Blu Ray playback from time to time.

I also hate that "O" pauses movies, it should be "X" like it always has been.

While I'm as frustrated as the next ps4 owner and would like a feature adding update it does make sense to have a more stable baseline before adding features.

But still, hurry up Sony!

People discussing Xbox firmware in a PS4 thread have serious problems comprehending how forums work.

It's comparison which is relevant to the topic. You can't discuss much in the way of stability besides:

"Hey guys, does ____ seem to load faster/crash less now?"
"Yeah I think so"
"Cool"

Vashetti

Banned
WTF do they keep stabilizing all the time?

Joke question?

The OS is NEVER complete, there is always something to refine.

PS3's OS RAM allocation was reduced from 120MB to 50MB, several years into its life through firmware optimisations, giving back developers 70MB to work with in their games.

EagleEyes

Xbone been getting updates that have added features PS4 already had at launch, therefore Xbone is better or something. I dunno.
I think there are plenty of features that the X1 has now that the PS4 doesn't. Don't kid yourself. I have both systems and as far as i'm concerned the X1 has easily caught up and surpassed what is on the PS4 atm. I mean i can't even stream content from my PC and can't even use a music CD on my PS4, come on. People deserve to know when stuff like suspend/resume, which was announced at the unveiling of the PS4, will be coming out.

KalBalboa

Banned
These kind of threads really serve as strong evidence about that entire "super-entitled generation of people" sentiments I always hear about.

They're supporting their product and improving it. Nobody knew 30 minutes ago this patch would come, and suddenly all these people feel robbed.

Top Bottom