• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 firmware update 1.62 out now

Sid

Joke question?

The OS is NEVER complete, there is always something to refine.

PS3's OS RAM allocation was reduced from 120MB to 50MB, several years into its life through firmware optimisations, giving back developers 70MB to work with in their games.
Kinda,what did this update do exactly?

I think there are plenty of features that the X1 has now that the PS4 doesn't. Don't kid yourself. I have both systems and as far as i'm concerned the X1 has easily caught up and surpassed what is on the PS4 atm. I mean i can't even stream content from my PC and can't even use a music CD on my PS4, come on. People deserve to know when stuff like suspend/resume, which was announced at the unveiling of the PS4, will be coming out.

Yeah I've found myself getting so frustrated with some nagging issues that have yet to be fixed. Share recording a random 15 minutes of gameplay viewing screen shots work maybe one in every five times. No friend notifications or ability to sort or remove icons from my growing horizontal list. Even if it's a month or more out id appreciate some information. Xb1 has been so much more vocal since launch

Caayn

Come on Sony the earth is still spinning.

Any news on when we can expect a new feature update?
Xbone been getting updates that have added features PS4 already had at launch, therefore Xbone is better or something. I dunno.
Both are missing features that should've been there at launch. MS is doing a better job, thusfar, at bringing those features back. That's the point, no one is arguing about feature X on console A but not on console B or vica versa.

Pimpbaa

If it's taking this long to add features that they promised already, I'm going to be an old man by the time we get wanted unannounced features that people want (like customization of the UI background). I want my dynamic themes with badly drawn half naked chicks!

Loudninja

Come one Sony the earth is still spinning.

Any news on when we can expect a new feature update?
Both are missing features that should've been there at launch. MS is doing a better job, thusfar, at bringing those features back. That's the point, no one is arguing about feature X on console A but not on console B or vica versa.
Its going to just drop, they are not going to give any build up or anything.

EGM1966

imagine if its a stability fix lol.

i will be laughing hard if its, MS is rolling good updates and we are getting stability fixs lol

Didn't take long for the usual mention of "the other console" in a console specific thread. You always know if a thread is specific to the XB1 or the PS4 the other will nonetheless be mentioned soon enough.

Personally given the horror story of XB1 OS at launch - particularly if you chose not to use Kinect for navigation - MS has to be pushing this stuff out faster as they started further behind their promises than Sony did in the first place and with core functions like party chat in a terrible state of operations vs expectations.

With that being said Sony are being as slow ass as usual with this stuff. I ain't expecting much of anything until E3 when they can announce some stuff with a bigger fanfare.

spectyre

Yay... New Update

LalPrGo.gif

Another stability update.

Vashetti

Banned
Perhaps the timing of this update suggests the console is being optimised for inFamous and MGS in particular, these games may be getting more from the hardware through more advanced techniques than the previously released games on the PS4.

These kind of threads really serve as strong evidence about that entire "super-entitled generation of people" sentiments I always hear about.

They're supporting their product and improving it. Nobody knew 30 minutes ago this patch would come, and suddenly all these people feel robbed.

chuck-norris-thumbs-up-dodgeball-gif.gif

lantus

This a problem with Sony in general. They've always been behind when it comes to software updates. Phones, games, cameras etc.

EagleEyes

Yeah I've found myself getting so frustrated with some nagging issues that have yet to be fixed. Share recording a random 15 minutes of gameplay viewing screen shots work maybe one in every five times. No friend notifications or ability to sort or remove icons from my growing horizontal list. Even if it's a month or more out id appreciate some information. Xb1 has been so much more vocal since launch
Well there is a reason they have been more vocal as they are trying to clean up the mess that was 2013. But for people to simply think the PS4 is still doing things better from an options and functionality standpoint are kidding themselves or simply don't have an X1.

madmackem

I think there are plenty of features that the X1 has now that the PS4 doesn't. Don't kid yourself. I have both systems and as far as i'm concerned the X1 has easily caught up and surpassed what is on the PS4 atm. I mean i can't even stream content from my PC and can't even use a music CD on my PS4, come on. People deserve to know when stuff like suspend/resume, which was announced at the unveiling of the PS4, will be coming out.

What are these features?, you can stream content from pc on xbox one? I've not put a music ce in a console since the og xbox. What are the features you say surpass the ps4 now?. I use both every single day and I feel xbox one has been fixing more that needed fixing.

~~Hasan~~

Didn't take long for the usual mention of "the other console" in a console specific thread. You always know if a thread is specific to the XB1 or the PS4 the other will nonetheless be mentioned soon enough.
What you said is completelly true. But i did not post this to troll. It was just as you said. Sony is slow as a turtle and its very very annoying.

Sorry if it was understood as a troll post. I am way far from that
Yay... New Update

LalPrGo.gif

Another stability update.

Lmfao

I'm granted the Xbox updates are fixes to what was lacking on their system, it's still not easy to give Sony the benefit of the doubt. Like its been 4 months. It's time for the update. This is getting fucking ridiculous. I get that some people would rather wait but I need my MP3 that was promised now. I don't understand what could be taking so long to do this. I'm down for raging twitter to get the ball moving. This is the type of staff we should be complaining about when it comes to Sony. It's 2014.. There's really no excuse now.

macewank

These kind of threads really serve as strong evidence about that entire "super-entitled generation of people" sentiments I always hear about.

They're supporting their product and improving it. Nobody knew 30 minutes ago this patch would come, and suddenly all these people feel robbed.

Ayup. And it drives me nuts.

Development doesn't work on a single thread. Work on new features is happening. These "stability" updates are not holding up those updates.

Does Sony need to work faster to bring some of the most wanted features to the OS? Yes. But these updates have nothing to do with that.

Bradf50

Microsoft have been better at informing us and letting us beta test updates before they role out and are catching up to the PS4 feature set pretty quickly. I'd say the XB1 and PS4 are on par in terms of gaming features. In terms of ease of use without the Kinect and accessing things quickly, it needs a revamp, however I don't see that coming anytime soon Yeah I'm all for stability updates but come on Sony, at least let us know whats coming. As people have previously mentioned I reckon it will probably be around E3, a large update that they can shout about.

MercuryLS

Banned
This a problem with Sony in general. They've always been behind when it comes to software updates. Phones, games, cameras etc.

Yup, their department that handles the OS needs a shake up. Sony does such amazing work when it comes to hardware and with its software developers when it comes to taking advantage of their machines. When it it comes to the OS, they suck at it. Takes forever to get new features and even though PS4's OS is functional and fast, it is ugly as fuck and needs a compete design overhaul.

Yeah, it is pretty ridiculous. Remember the days before firmware updates, folks? When we just had to deal with flaws and crap?

Loudninja

I'm granted the Xbox updates are fixes to what was lacking on their system, it's still not easy to give Sony the benefit of the doubt. Like its been 4 months. It's time for the update. This is getting fucking ridiculous. I get that some people would rather wait but I need my MP3 that was promised now. I don't understand what could be taking so long to do this. I'm down for raging twitter to get the ball moving. This is the type of staff we should be complaining about when it comes to Sony. It's 2014.. There's really no excuse now.
The last big update game out in Feb.

Not sure why people acting like we didn't have one since launch.

EagleEyes

What are these features?, you can stream content from pc on xbox one? I've not put a music ce in a console since the og xbox. What are the features you say surpass the ps4 now?. I use both every single day and I feel xbox one has been fixing more that needed fixing.
Broadcasting is better and has more features, GameDVR and its editing abilities are far superior, voice controls are better, being able to simply hold the button to see the achievement I got which you still can't do on PS4. To put it simply, there are a lot of features that just make it more convenient and easier to use. I'm not trying to show favorites here as i've enjoyed both consoles alot but Sony has put out a bare bones UI and they need to step up and make it a little more convenient for the user like at least giving us a way to put our games in folders.

EGM1966

What you said is completelly true. But i did not post this to troll. It was just as you said. Sony is slow as a turtle and its very very annoying.

Sorry if it was understood as a troll post. I am way far from that

Lmfao

Maybe I'm just being sensitive today. Sony really is slow for OS stuff I just feel so many threads currently keep descending into comparison threads to "the other guy".

The last big update game out in Feb.

Not sure why people acting like we didn't have one since launch.

And what was that? Did it tackle any of the list of things missing from the system? Did it add anything from the list of highly anticipated things we need? How about, did it fix even the smallest things like the record bug, the library, etc? No... We got a small update that didn't really add much to what we really want.

Ran Ran

I would just like a time frame on these updates. MS is already telling us about next months update and Sony just dropped this one out of nowhere today.

Bradf50

Yup, their department that handles the OS needs a shake up. Sony does such amazing work when it comes to hardware and with its software developers when it comes to taking advantage of their machines. When it it comes to the OS, they suck at it. Takes forever to get new features and even though PS4's OS is functional and fast, it is ugly as fuck and needs a compete design overhaul.

Most definitely, their team needs transferring from Japan to the US. The design definitely needs more of a western influence. I wouldn't mind their lack of solid functionality updates if they just communicated with us and just let us know what they're currently working on, and maybe even roll out a beta test like what MS are doing.

shandy706

where's the 3d bluray update??? the ps3 has gone now (sold) so pleeeeeease sort :(

I see people mention blu-ray with these consoles and always wonder why people put wear and tear on these systems by watching blu-rays on them?

I suggest getting a stand alone player and not adding the heat and wear to your console. :)

Just a suggestion of course. It's a rule I stick to.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Being disappointed that basic features are still not there 4 months after launch is hardly super-entitled. Sony has dropped that ball on the OS plain and simple. Outside general speed I can not think of 1 redeeming quality of the PS4 OS. It is 3 steps back from the below average PS3 OS . I am glad people are finally holding Sony accountable. At this point people putting pressure on them might be the only way to get them moving.

Dragon

Banned
I see people mention blu-ray with these consoles and always wonder why people put wear and tear on these systems by watching blu-rays on them?

I suggest getting a stand alone player and not adding the heat and wear to your console. :)

Convenience is the most likely reason why. I have yet to watch a Blu-ray on my PS4 but it would be nice to retire my PS3 from my living room.

Being disappointed that basic features are still not there 4 months after launch is hardly super-entitled. Sony has dropped that ball on the OS plain and simple. Outside general speed I can not think of 1 redeeming quality of the PS4 OS. It is 3 steps back from the below average PS3 OS . I am glad people are finally holding Sony accountable. At this point people putting pressure on them might be the only way to get them moving.

Describe how it is three steps back from the PS3 OS. I really would like to know. I'm not saying it's even good, but statements like that are crazy to me. I still use the PS3 a lot and the slog of going through menus is tedious to say the least.

spectyre

I think that's a little harsh. Nobody in this thread seems PO'd, just anxious for the updates we know are coming. As far as I'm concerned, I knew what I was in for when I bought a launch console. I'm very familiar with Sony's MO, but I see nothing wrong with having a little fun expressing my slight disappointment.

Sony putting all those 50$/year cheques to good use as we can see. How fucking long is it going to take for Sony to pull their shit together in this regard, because the only improvement over it being mandatory for us to pay is their pockets getting bigger.

Pathetic.

Bradf50

Yeah we need to make a bit of noise to get them listening.

quest

Not Banned from OT

For me the less boxes under the TV for media the better. That way I get less texts or calls from the wife. Trying to explain you need to use this device for movies. That one for amazon videos, that one to watch direct tv ect. is not worth the pain.

spectyre

I think that's a little harsh. Nobody in this thread seems PO'd, just anxious for the updates we know are coming. As far as I'm concerned, I knew what I was in for when I bought a launch console. I'm very familiar with Sony's MO, but I see nothing wrong with having a little fun expressing my slight disappointment.

Sony putting all those 50$/year cheques to good use as we can see. How fucking long is it going to take for Sony to pull their shit together in this regard, because the only improvement over it being mandatory for us to pay is their pockets getting bigger.

Pathetic.

Maybe I was mistaken.

Agreed. Pressure needs to be pressed now. They are getting quite lazy. At least keep us posted on the blog or something. Damn..

to be fair, software (at least in terms of operating systems) is not their strongest suit. if there's one thing Microsoft is better at, its system updates and patches (insert obligatory Windows joke here)

that said, I have noticed the feedback from Shu die down since launch. before he would at least give hints of stuff to come, or what the team was considering, now nothing. i would imagine E3 will have some announcements regarding the OS, but even that's still far away.

spwolf

Maybe I'm just being sensitive today. Sony really is slow for OS stuff I just feel so many threads currently keep descending into comparison threads to "the other guy".

how is Sony so slow compared to "other guy" when Sony had a lot more features and more stable environment then "other guy" at launch and still does.

imagine if its a stability fix lol.

i will be laughing hard if its, MS is rolling good updates and we are getting stability fixs lol

MS was behind, no twitch, party chat not working well, so they had mroe to fix not exactly the same scanario. I dfo wish Sony was more forthcoming though. But mroe are coming.

driver116

Pathetic.

PS+ lets you access online multiplayer
PS+ gives you a bunch of long game rentals
PS+ gives you discounts on downloadable games/content

PS+ does not give you OS updates.

Pathetic.

Again, MS launched in a much worse state and are playing catch up really, Ps4 OS was very good at laucnh by comparison. MS only just got witch. Sonys updates are coming.

3 steps back LMAO, the XMB on ps3 is horrid, slow in comparison.

megalowho

Well, Sony isn't operating in a vacuum when it comes to updating the OS of their new console. They have a direct competitor that is establishing a precedent of timely, substantial updates, improving their product at a much faster rate. I don't know about necessarily feeling robbed with a minor firmware update, but certainly comparisons can be made to Nintendo and Microsoft in terms of the frequency and features included in each update.

Top Bottom