• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 FW 1.7 coming soon (HDCP off, Export video to USB, & Video Editor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjp

Can someone tell me the point of the Record feature on Share?

If you double press the Share button, it starts a recording, but this just seems useless.

Can WE PLEASE have an update that simply captures the last 30 or so seconds like Xbox One? I can't predict when something exciting happens, so it makes no sense that I can "Start" recording a clip, but can't capture something that just happened.

It's supposed to capture the last 15 minutes continually. I think it's broke though.

Cess007

If you double press the Share button, it starts a recording, but this just seems useless.

Can WE PLEASE have an update that simply captures the last 30 or so seconds like Xbox One? I can't predict when something exciting happens, so it makes no sense that I can "Start" recording a clip, but can't capture something that just happened.

The PS4 records the last 15 minutes of gameplay automatically; but it's buggy for some people. What i do is start recording every match i play of B4 manually when the match start.

Edit: Beaten

not that it always works, but the PS4 buffers the last 15 minutes of gameplay. some times the buffering stops working (happened to me lots in infamous), but I'm sure they're working on a fix for that.

Being able to fully customize how the share button operates would be ideal. One click does this, two clicks do this, hold does this, etc.

jwk94

Jesus titty fucking Christ kid, you bought one hell of an expensive mp3 player.

Honestly, I hate when people say this kind of stuff. The same could be said for some of the features included in this update. The point is that it's convenient to have MP3 playback, DLNA, and things like that so you don't have to go fiddling around with other devices.

Still coming? That was never supposed to come, and it never will. The reason you can have both a game and Netflix running at the same time (actually, they aren't technically running at the same time - the game gets suspended (still in RAM but not actively running anymore) when you start Netflix) is because games and OS + apps have separate parts of the memory dedicated to them (5 GB for games, 3 GB for other stuff, as far as we know), so they are both in RAM at the same time. This allows the system to very quickly switch between them. But that wouldn't work with two games. A running game can use up to 5 GB of memory, so two games couldn't be in RAM at the same time. The first game's RAM data would have to written to the HDD (like when you put a PC in hibernation mode), and that would likely take longer than quitting the first game and booting the second.

What we are expecting to come is standby suspension of games, i.e. the game still being kept in RAM as the console is put in standby mode (not when it's fully powered down) so that you can jump right back to where you were when you boot the console again.

Oh, OK. That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Standby suspension of games would be nice! Wonder when it'll come.

breakfuss

You can set the controller to turn off after a set time. Along with the console. Set it up for 10 minutes if you like, turn on Netflix and chill.

I'm pretty sure I have it set to turn off after a period of activity but it never does. Don't think netflix is counted as "inactivity".

Just turn it off when the movie starts. Last update made it to where you can watch Netflix with the controller off.

Yeah, I know, but sometimes I like to pause, rewind or turn on subtitles. Especially when it's a TV show. I wish it could go into standby or something. Not a huge deal but still a tad annoying.

Mengetsu

Notification for friends logging in? If legit all I want is 720p streams on my twitch in the following updates and everything else is like a extra gift.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
OP is pretty well updated in that regard. Might be a couple things Tidux hinted at

Officially announced:

• HDCP off for gameplay recording
  • Export Captures to USB
  • Rich Media Editor
  • Longer Gameplay records [manually I assume]
  • Lightbar dimming
  • 720 Streams [in the works???] [Probably not 1.7]
  • Stream Archives [Probably not 1.7]

Rumored:

• Pre-loading
  • Friend Notifications [Via Tidux]
  • Game sort [Via Tidux, probably not 1.7]
  • Improved Friendlist stability [Via Tidux]

I don't really understand how stream archiving is a firmware thing. Shouldn't that just be on the server side? Or are current PS4 streams somehow incompatible with being saved on Twitch's servers?

I don't really understand how stream archiving is a firmware thing. Shouldn't that just be on the server side? Or are current PS4 streams somehow incompatible with being saved on Twitch's servers?

Oh it's not a firmware thing but I listed it anyways simply because it's being discussed on the Playstation blog amid talk of firmware updates

Jburton

Banned
if this console is not gonna receive MKV support It will be very very disappointing

Since when has any console supported it?

Apple TV, Roku and even Chromecast don't support MKV (possible on some with third party software / hacks), why would you expect a content producer to support a format that has extensive use within the piracy scene (not the only used by pirates, I know).

Dragon

Banned

They may add an option to turn it off and on, on the PS4 side.

Caayn

I consider Shu's twitter account official but not been mentioned on the PS blog as of yet

AhAxZai.png
Ah yes, forgot about that. Was so excited by the tweet from Geoff and then Shu practically killed my hope. Anyway it's better than nothing.

Timu

I would expect so as people have found something of a loophole with screenshots where you send it in a PS message on your phone or something like that. Results in a less compressed shot

I think USB export would hopefully allow a uncompressed screenshot or video although depends on the formats they use etc.
Sony would have to increase the bitrate a lot higher on PS4 to have uncompressed vids which takes up huge file sizes. Screens will probably still have slight compression on them but far less than what Facebook and Twitter do to them due to the PS4's encoder so that will be an improvement.

Sony would have to increase the bitrate a lot higher on PS4 to have uncompressed vids which takes up huge file sizes. Screens will probably still have slight compression on them but far less than what Facebook and Twitter do to them due to the PS4's encoder so that will be an improvement.

So videos will be better with USB export but still compressed :\

Ah well

gruenel

Apple TV, Roku and even Chromecast don't support MKV (possible on some with third party software / hacks), why would you expect a content producer to support a format that has extensive use within the piracy scene (not the only used by pirates, I know).

Pretty much all newer Sony TVs and Blu-ray players support MKV, so...

B_Boss

One would imagine that a simple UI option to completely disable the lightbar would be extremely simple to do and if this is the case, if it is easy to do then there must be some serious reason as to why the consumer cannot have the option...

deadpixel

Banned
[

Maybe they want to adjust the bitrate before enabling the feature.

Stillmatic

They need to get PNG in there as well since that's lossless. I never use JPEGs and I'll keep it like that as well.

Yeah I think JPEG's the main culprit for compression, I don't think the PS4 actually compresses much, if at all. We won't know for sure until they give us another format option to test. But damn, we need PNG for sure!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So videos will be better with USB export but still compressed :

Ah well

Of course you're not gonna get uncompressed video. The files would be huge, and it's very possible it would have an adverse effect on game performance since the video would have to be written to the HDD all the time (as I understand it that currently doesn't happen until you press Share - the 15 minute recording buffer is kept in memory until then).

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
No monthly colored theme backgrounds?
This is with a glitched out HTC One so everything is hued purple nut the XMB is majestic.
I would actually changing move the clock forward a few hours so I can see the color mixing at its peak. The PS4 needs that quality. I want to be able to just leave my PS4 at its UI and let it do interesting Screensaver things. The XMB was so visually appealing it didn't need BGM. The PDM is so plain that it does.

Dragon

Banned
One would imagine that a simple UI option to completely disable the lightbar would be extremely simple to do and if this is the case, if it is easy to do then there must be some serious reason as to why the consumer cannot have the option...

It would not be easy to do. You'd have to patch any game that uses it (Playroom for instance), the login system would no longer work with face recognition, etc. They designed the system around it along with what they're doing with VR.

You know, I would really like to see the export video and screenshots to USB, I want to be able to play my own MP3's as background music during a game without using Music Unlimited, I want to be able to organize my games in whatever order or folder I would like, I want to stream my movies from my own PC. Those are the features I really want.

However, something I have complained about even on PS3, I want to organize and make notes about my friends. I want to have a huge GAF folder and throw all my friends from GAF in it. I want to make notes on my friends list. For example, if someone had a different PSN name than GAF name, I could make a note on them and know who the fuck that person is. Or I would like to make a note that this friend "always has a headset." or "really good at Battlefield 4>" Stuff like that. Makes so much sense but they have never given us a good way to organize our friends. It has to come, as much as the social aspects of gaming are growing.

Dragon

Banned
However, something I have complained about even on PS3, I want to organize and make notes about my friends. I want to have a huge GAF folder and throw all my friends from GAF in it. I want to make notes on my friends list. For example, if someone had a different PSN name than GAF name, I could make a note on them and know who the fuck that person is. Or I would like to make a note that this friend "always has a headset." or "really good at Battlefield 4>" Stuff like that. Makes so much sense but they have never given us a good way to organize our friends. It has to come, as much as the social aspects of gaming are growing.

You're basically asking for friends list groups and setting up aliases for friends. Two things that should definitely be pushed for as they're very much needed.

Zee-Row

Banned
I don't care about the features with this update , I only care if it fixes the recording glitch. Its so infuriating to capture a good moment only to find out the PS4 didn't capture it.

B_Boss

It would not be easy to do. You'd have to patch any game that uses it (Playroom for instance), the login system would no longer work with face recognition, etc. They designed the system around it along with what they're doing with VR.

Well I think of it as, some games necessitate it, others or most, do not. Facial recognition is an option that I never use so thats not a given. Did they really design the system with it considering the PS4 Camera is not included with the console? That is difficult for me to believe. The mere fact that the Camera is not included with the console would (or should) favor the option being available I think. The massive patching for the games up until today would probably be a pain though. Perhaps your reasoning aligns well with why Sony simply won't allow it to be disabled or not.

ShapeGSX

My new 4k Sony TV supports MKV.

sangreal

So videos will be better with USB export but still compressed :\

Ah well

They won't have uncompressed video, but the videos are already a pretty high bitrate (and subsequent huge file size) until you upload them to facebook. The quality should be pretty good once you can export them to usb -- the same as when you preview them on the console

Sulik2

I used the following workaround in order to get my center speaker working over HDMI:

-set sound to optical audio (even if you're not using optical)
-make sure only Linear PCM is selected

I am using optical audio for my sound and HDMI for my video. Center channel works on PCM, but you only get 2.1 When you got to DTS to get surround sound the center channel quits working. Its really annoying.

Being able to fully customize how the share button operates would be ideal. One click does this, two clicks do this, hold does this, etc.

You can do this. Press Options in the Share screen.

Also, I know PS4 records last 15 minutes, but I wish you could simply capture the last 30 seconds with double tap, as opposed to "starting" a clip, because I wont know when I'm going to want to capture some moment.

Jomjom

Banned
Sony needs to actual give some dates so people know when they can expect the update. Don't tell me "coming soon" when it's just an outright lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom